A New Begining

Reconcile

"You two better be at the same positions as now when I get back later. We don’t want anymore injuries right Miss Kim?" Teacher Kim tapped the table in front of him to look at her with stern eyes and she looked up to give him a scowl.

"But it wasn’t my fault! It was his!" she stood up and pointed at the boy sitting at the other end of the classroom with his legs on the table and arms crossed. The boy chuckled while rolling the sleeves off his right arm and brought it up for them both to see.

Multiple scratch marks were evident on his pale skin and some of the marks oozed a pure crimson red. He wiped the blood off with his sleeve and covered the marks. He chuckled and looked up from his bangs.

"Now why would I want to injure myself? I’m not someone who would cut for someone else like some stupid, gullible girl," his eyes shined with playfulness as he looked into her eyes.

She started walking towards his direction while emitting a low growl as tears started to well up in her eyes. Teacher Kim pulled the back of her shirt.

"Stop this!" He tugged her shirt hard and pulled her to sit down.

"I don’t understand you two! You were such good friends in middle school and now in your third year of high school you hate each other? A lot of damage have been caused by your reckless behaviours and as your teacher it is my responsibility to figure this out. So now can you two please explain to me what happened today?" Teacher Kim let out an exasperated sigh and raked his hand through his jet black hair.

Silence emitted through the bright classroom and not one word was spoken. The frustrated teacher sighed for the nth time and gathered his belongings.

"I guess detention for you two. Again. I’ll come back in two- no four hours. Do your homework or something. Not like you have anything better do and also, I expect to see the classroom in the same condition as it is now," the usually warm Teacher Kim left the classroom with such coldness the two individuals did not dare speak up about the extended detention hours.

"It’s so stupid to cut for someone. Girls are really stupid. Don’t you agree Mr Eraser? If a guy cheated on you, might as well break up with him. Staying with him and cutting yourself would hurt others too but even her ‘friends’ don’t care. Sad huh? Would you still hang out with them Miss Pencil? I guess you won’t because you aren’t gullible and dumb and-"

"Shut up Yoongi! You don’t know how I feel! You don’t- You don’t have anyone you care about so you won’t know how being cheated on feels like! You don’t understand my pain! You don’t understand what pain is because you care about no one but yourself! You won’t…" her anger dissolved into sadness and hot tears streaked down her pale face. She stood there crying in silence, trying to calm herself.

"I don’t know how pain feels like? Really? Then I guess when you left me for Namjoon and your group of ‘friends’ I didn’t feel hurt huh? It felt like you were stabbing my heart with a butcher’s knife but it was all my fault huh? ‘Min Yoongi hurt little-miss-perfect Kim Yoomi and everything is his fault!’ That’s how everyone sees it right? No one ever asks for my opinion! How am I even supposed to approach you when there are five people around you at all times? I just want to go back to those days… back in those days we… we were…" frustrated, he stood up and kicked his table away, causing it to topple over.

The loud crash silenced them both and only Yoongi’s heavy panting could be heard.

Their hearts ached at the memory. The memory of a past life. A life where there were no problems and the biggest decision they had to make was which flavour of candy to buy. A life where the biggest fight they had ended with hugs. A life that was just a distant but distinct memory.

Sniffles came from the other end of the classroom and Yoongi looked up to see tears still streaming down her beautiful face. She started crying harder at the memories they shared. Unknowingly, he started tearing up and let out a laugh when he realised it.

"Remember when we used to steal fruit from my neighbour? Well/ he told me not too long ago that he knew all along but always let us go cause we were kids," he looked out of the window beside him, looking at the view of the school courtyard which resembled the big orchard. She nodded her head and a small smile made its way to her lips.

"Mr Byung? Yeah I remember we used my little basket to hide the fruit and we always argued about it because I wanted to fill it with strawberries but you somehow stuffed your apples in there too," she laughed a little louder, remembering all the situations they had been in.

"Haven’t heard that laugh in a while," he turned his head to her and let out a deep chuckle. They made eye contact and she was shocked to see so much emotion in them. Happiness, sadness and an emotion she least expected to see, love, or at least she though it was love. Her cheeks turned red upon remembering her feelings for him that was not returned about three years ago.

Yoongi did know not what he felt when he looked at her but he knew it was a strong feeling. He had gently rejected her three years ago because he knew he was not right for her. He knew how important friendships were to her and he did not want to ruin their relationship but alas he eventually did. She left him for new people in high school and she even found a boyfriend. Someone who Yoongi thought was not good enough for her.

For those three years, he questioned his sanity and the choices he had made in his life. He tried talking to her but her friends would not allow someone as ‘low-life’ as him to even come near her. As a result, he started bullying just to evoke fear in everyone around him, especially her. Even if he was the antagonist, he still wanted to be a part of her live.

As for Yoomi, she lived in a bubble of fake happiness and material want for three years and did not allow herself to think about him in fear that if she tried to reconcile their relationship he might hurt her again. When he started teasing her, she thought that she did not need a low-life like him to be in her life.

From teasing her about her hair to kicking her chair during class, Yoongi never thought about how he was hurting her. He started enjoying the pain he caused others. He lost track of who he was and he thought that there was no way back.

When she faced problems and literally had no one to talk to, Yoongi was the only one who still talked, well more like teased, her. When his teasing got a bit too much, she lost it and attacked him. The result of her pent up anger landed them both in this situation.

They were engulfed in silence for a whole five minutes, still standing. He faked a cough and placed his table and stationary to their original positions. She looked down at her nails which were stained at the tips with blood before adjusting her skirt and returned to her seat.

"I’m sorry for being such an to you. I just… wanted to part of your life again. That’s all," he balled his hands into fists and was hit by the sudden memory of all the bad things he did to her. Tears started to well in his eyes and he quickly wiped them away.

"I’m sorry I left you for them. I just wanted to be loved. Since I couldn’t be loved by you I thought I could get others to love me. I’m so sorry Yoongi," she looked at her nails again, remembering his face when he saw blood on his arm after she attacked him. Tears trickled down her face and her sniffles echoed through the empty classroom.

This time, the silence was not broken for the rest of their time there.

When Teacher Kim entered the classroom at 6pm sharp and announced that they could be released, both of them rushed for the door.

"Oh you go first."

"No no you can go first."

"No no I insist. Yoomi, really, you can go first," Yoongi looked her straight in the eyes and she swallowed the lump in before bringing her head down to a nod and heading out the door.

"What happened in those four hours? You guys seem to not hate each other. Care to explain?" Teacher Kim looked at Yoongi with a baffled expression. The boy only gave him a smile before bowing and leaving the classroom.

Yoomi exited the school and wrapped her jacket tighter around her body to protect her from the cold autumn wind. As she was crossing the pedestrian crossing, a car approached from the left and abruptly stopped in front of her. The windows rolled down and a familiar voice was heard.

"Uh do you need a lift?" she looked up to see Yoongi in the drivers seat. She blinked a few times before giving him a slight nod and gripped the handle of the door to open it but it would not budge open.

"Uh I can’t open the door…" her face flushed with embarrassment and Yoongi’s eyes went wide.

"Oh yeah the door’s… a bit stuck," he got out from the other end and tried to open the door a few times before succedding. He politely raised his hand to gesture for her to get in. She laughed softly and entered the warm car. Yoongi closed the door and jogged to the other side.

"My house is at-"

"I remember where your house is. We didn’t stop being friends for that long," he jokingly said to brighten up the atmosphere but ended up making it more awkward.

The ride to her house was silent. They both felt the suffocating awkwardness and the only sound in the car was the soft music coming out from the radio. As they reached her house, Yoongi got out from the car to open the door for her.

"Thanks for the ride. See you next week," she could feel her cheeks flush red under his intense gaze and tried to quickly walk away before he pulled her wrist back. He let go quickly and let out a cough, her back still facing him.

"Uh… I hope you don’t hate me for the stupid things I did to you. Though there are so many reason for you to hate me. I just hope that we could be at least something more than strangers, but not enemies," he let out a small laugh and scratched his head.

"Goodbye Yoongi."

"Goodbye Yoomi."

"Just so you know, I don’t hate you. At least not at this moment," she looked back and gave him a genuine smile before entering her house.

Yoongi felt his heart swell and he knew he did the right thing this time.