Could'a, Should'a, Would'a

Naming Love

 

 

Yoongi doesn't know what love is—can't grasp the concept. He loves his parents and his siblings but that isn't the type of love everyone spends their life searching for. Everywhere Yoongi goes he runs into people searching for their soul mate and maybe that's Yoongi's problem. Maybe if Yoongi was engrossed in searching for his one true love that “stick up his ”, as Namjoon so eloquently put it, would vanish. Yoongi retaliated by saying that if there were any stick near his vicinity he would use it to beat the rapper into next year. It's an entertaining thought, but the more idiotic part of Yoongi's conscious whispered that maybe the blonde was right; he then proceeded to argue why Namjoon isn't and that his romantic side should “put a sock in it” in the kindest way he could.

 

Yoongi doubts that searching fruitlessly for his so called “soul mate” would make him happy. Maybe if the universe paired him up with a girl though, it would be a different story.

 

His soul mate's name is “Seokjin” and while Yoongi doesn't know how common that name is he knows it's not a uni name, which means that his soul mate is a guy—ing fantastic. That's also the other reason why Yoongi doesn't bother trying to search for his other half, because he's straight. His uality might not be as blatant as Namjoon's and his skirt-chasing ways, but he believes that he's part of the slim heteroual portion of their over-all biual group. Although, Taehyung likes to often point out “everyone is a little gay, hyung”.

 

At least half of the group is bi, maybe more. Actually, he isn't even sure if Jungkook even has a libido—maybe he's aual?

 

That isn't the point though, because Taehyung, Jimin and Hoseok are all biual—scratch that, Taehyung is panual.

 

So yeah, those three idiots are more in the “straight-as-a-rainbow” category, while Jungkook is in some weird grey area and Namjoon is a playboy. But then that leaves Seokjin, BTS' Seokjin. Everyone knows Seokjin isn't straight, he plays for the same team and Yoongi's fine with that. He doesn't give a rat's about anyone's uality, or lake thereof, but there's a slim -very slim he has to remind himself- chance that their Seokjin might be the Seokjin the universe so graciously paired him with.

 

that.

 

If there's one rule Yoongi has, it's don't crap where you eat. And Yoongi doubts that Seokjin is supposed to be his Seokjin because the older male is already happily dating someone; at least that's the rumor going around.

 

And despite Namjoon's persistent nagging about “going for it”, Yoongi doesn't even know what “it” is supposed to mean. Was he supposed to go after every Seokjin in South Korea; does he have to chase the elusive person behind the name imprinted under his collar bone?

 

Yoongi isn't a romantic, he doesn't believe in the whole soul mate thing, but sometimes he's taken back by how zealous Namjoon's searching is. He doesn't know what name the rapper has, but Yoongi wonders if Namjoon's really looking for his soul-mate or disregarding the tattoo all together; he's always been the type to go against the grain. Yoongi wouldn't be surprised if he was purposefully avoiding dating girls that might be his true love. All the girlfriends the rapper had drunkenly talked about all had different names. There was, without a doubt, a certain type their leader goes for, but besides that no one has any clue what the blonde's soul mate's name is.

 

Now that Yoongi thinks about it, no one knows what each others soul mate's name is. Everyone knows Namjoon has a girl's name, and everyone assumes Seokjin's soul mate is Hyosang but the singer had never explicitly said that Hyosang was the one.

 

There's a sharp pain in his heart whenever he thinks about Hyosang being with Seokjin though, because some tiny part of Yoongi—the one he always ignores—desperately wants Seokjin to be his.

 

The tattoo on his body proves it.

 

But what if Seokjin isn't meant to be his? What if Seokjin really belongs to Hyosang and why is he thinking of the singer as his in the first place?!

 

Yoongi wants answers but he only attracts more questions, each question increasingly more difficult to answer than the last. It infuriates him beyond belief, sometimes leaking into his songs and, hey, while that might be nice, he absolutely hates cheesy love songs and god knows there's enough in the world as is. And Yoongi would have been content (not really) living without any of his bandmates knowing his tattoo, but that contentment is rather short lived as Jungkook ruins it.

 

When Yoongi first met Jungkook, he thought the boy was rather meek at first and too shy for his liking. But being around Taehyung and Jimin turned their shy, quiet maknae into a rather bossy dongsaeng instead.


He was an angel that became a little devil; was he even an angel to start with?

 

That isn't one of the questions that keeps Yoongi up at night, but Jungkook, being the little brat he is, threatens to tell everyone whose name is tattooed on his chest if Yoongi doesn't buy him food. Yoongi's all kinds of exasperated an annoyed but he's also slightly afraid -not that he'd tell anyone- because unlike Jimin, Jungkook makes good on his threats. Some days he regrets knowing Jungkook and today is one of those days.

 

Of course, Jungkook has an ulterior motive because under the thin facade of innocence and cluelessness, the boy's almost as sharp as Yoongi himself. However, Jungkook isn't as great with words as Hoseok or as unforgivably blunt as Namjoon because he's still young and reckless—unsure of himself. Eventually, after all the stops and gos and hesitant words, Jungkook says the same thing Namjoon did.

 

“Tell him.”

 

Yoongi wants to laugh but he can't, he can't even manage to give a snarky reply because his heart beats faster and the temperature in the shop at least goes up by two degrees.

 

Jungkook is smart, he may not be a genius like Namjoon, but the kid has a good head on his shoulders so Yoongi never thought the boy would actually believe in the whole soulmate thing. But Jungkook's actions speak louder than his words and when the teen shrugs off his sleeve, exposing his right shoulder, Yoongi stares in bewilderment. Jungkook's blushing, his eyes trained on the food before him and Yoongi wants to look away but he can't.

 

Across the expanse of soft skin, in soft but rushed , the words read “Jimin”.

 

Immediately Yoongi's mind jumps to conclusions despite the fact that “Jimin” is a uni name because holy , does their Jimin know about this? Jungkook quickly rearranges his shirt again, the red tint on his cheeks fading slowly, and the silence hangs heavy in the air.

 

Yoongi's not sure what to say, but he tries, “Is it...you know,” he manages to finish in a hushed tone, eyebrows knit together.

 

Jungkook's lips twitch upward, “Who knows. Chances are one in seven-billion.”

 

Yoongi wants to ask another question, does Jimin know? Why did he show him that? Who else knew? All those questions though don't make it pass Yoongi's lips and instead he says “Oh” and leaves it at that.

 

Nothing really changes, Jungkook doesn't say anything about Yoongi's tattoo and Yoongi wonders whose name is tattooed on Seokjin. He wonders just how much truth is in the legend about their tattoos and maybe they don't mean anything at all? Yoongi's not sure and the feeling of uncertainty doesn't sit well with him. The universe or fate or whoever decided to pair him up with Seokjin, you think that whatever entity did the stupid tattoos could have bothered to use a little bit more of their time to add a last name. God, it would make things so much easier because Yoongi is one-hundred percent sure that BTS' Seokjin does not, and will never, belong to him.

 

They're just too different, it doesn't make sense.

 

Then again, nothing about this makes any damn sense.

 

Yoongi remember all the times Seokjin talked about Hyosang, how close they were when the rapper was still the group, and that pain in his heart grows unbearable and his limbs feel like they're made of concrete. It's several different kinds of bothersome. But Yoongi also remembers all the times Seokjin had evaded questions about who his soul mate was and if Hyosang really was “the one”. The one the universe paired him up with, the one fate had chosen among all other seven-billion people. Yoongi wants answers, but he's not sure what answer would make him happy. He's not sure if he wants Seokjin as a soul mate just on the basis of their very contrasting personalities.

 

Yoongi doesn't want to ponder the idea, doesn't want whatever this is to fester like an open sore.

 

They're all gathered in the living room, Yoongi's not sure why, but once he shoves himself between Namjoon and Hoseok he immediately understands. Jimin's on the floor, face flushed red and rage in his eyes. Taehyung look's like he's about to burst ,either laughing or crying is anyone's guess. The idiot can't read the atmosphere and Yoongi looks toward Jungkook who seems like he's the one Jimin wants to kill.

 

Seokjin thankfully breaks the silence, “What happened?”

 

Jimin huffs and stands up, shoving past everyone and locking himself up in his room.

 

“I saw it,” Taehyung murmurs, bod fidgeting as all eyes train on him. He doesn't have to explain what “it” is and Hoseok and Seokjin tag-team to give the alien a lecture about privacy and whatnot. Yoongi isn't sure why Jimin is mad because if anyone seems like the type to openly talk about who his soul mate might be, it was him (and maybe Hoseok).

 

It's uneventful for a while, everything goes back to normal, whatever that is.

 

Taehyung doesn't bring up Jimin's tattoo, Jimin is back to being all smiles although there's a subtle hint of hostility whenever the two maknaes approach him.

 

The rocking of their boat makes Yoongi focus on settling everything back down again, making sure the tension can't be seen on television or photo-shoots. He focuses on Jimin and unknowingly ignores Seokjin as much as he can. He doesn't want to focus on his tattoo, doens't want to do any introspection and chooses to ignore it all together, like he did before Seokjin came into his life.

 

It's easy, incredibly so, and he wonders how people can be obsessed over finding their true love when so many other things take precedence.

 

For a while he forgets, but Taehyung brings back the slim possibility that maybe Yoongi and Seokjin did belong.

 

It's out of the blue and sudden, although most things Taehyung says does come from the left field.

 

“It's Jungkook, you know.”

 

And Yoongi's already lost because the only one who can seem to grasp Taehyung's weird ramblings is Jungkook.

 

“What about Jungkook?”

 

Taehyung's lips are tilted slightly downward but Yoongi can see the glimmer of mischievousness in his bright eyes. “No, hyung, it's Jungkook,” he repeats, stressing the maknae's name out. Taehyung leaves before Yoongi can demand him to explain.

 

It's Jungkook? Yoongi runs the phrase again and again through his head. He stands there, staring at the floorboards blankly until his head snaps up. If this were a comic a light-bulb would have above his head, and he almost wishes it was a cartoon because cartoons are much more simple than real life.

 

“It's Jungkook,” he whispers to the empty room, eyes wide at the realization. He tries not to jump to conclusions like last time, because even Jungkook said that the chance he and Jimin were meant for one another was slim to none.

 

That chance is still there though, the small possibility didn't vanish.

 

So, if there was a small chance for them then that means there was a chance for Seokjin and him, right?

 

Yoongi has never been the brooding type, he doesn't like stewing in whatever juices he's accumulated over the course of the day or week or month. He doesn't like to linger on decisions, so he only has himself to blame when he realizes that he has been stewing in “what ifs” and “maybes” for the past week or so. He isn't sure why Taehyung's little reveal bothers him so much, almost to the point that it keeps him awake when he should be sleeping—which were very rare occasions. So yeah, Yoongi is more exhausted and tired than usual but if the members had noticed, they didn't question the brooding air. It's a difficult task to ignore his tattoo once again, but not impossible. It takes exactly 3.5 weeks for him to stop looking at his tattoo whenever he changes. Another five days to look back at his and Jungkook's talk as nothing but a vague recollection, and approximately a week to forget that maybe their Seokjin was really his Seokjin.

 

Like most people, however; Yoongi doesn't really forget it. The percentage lingers in the dark recess of his mind because, after all, he is only human.

 

It's kind of funny though, because Yoongi knows that if he just asks Seokjin what name is tattooed onto him the singer would tell him, albeit with mild hesitation. The answer to all of Yoongi's, well, most of Yoongi's, questions could easily disappear if he just asks Seokjin but he can't or rather won't. It could be his rational side stopping him or maybe the one that fears what the answer might be, but either way he doesn't ask.

 

June turns out to be a sweltering month. Jungkook's allergies are at an all time high and everyone walks around in boxers, except for the maknae who has to hide his tattoo and Jin who had always been a bit more conservative; covering as much as he could without getting heat-.

 

Yoongi's sprawls himself on the cool wooden floorboards, his eyelids growing heavier with every blink. His limbs feel like noodles and his brain might as well be mush because he can hardly think. He blinks again but this time when he opens his eyes he sits up to see a setting sun. Either his mind was so bored and blanked out the past few hours or he simply fell asleep.

 

It was probably the latter.

 

There's a small popping sound as Yoongi stretches his arms up toward the ceiling. As he groggily gets up Seokjin enters the main room, eyes red and hair disheveled. Yoongi finds himself thinking that his hyung looks cute and immediately blushes.

 

It seems like Seokjin's in a more dazed state than he was, however; and drags himself to the fridge.

 

And it is in that moment Yoongi sees it. As Seokjin's right arm swings slightly forward, he sees a flash of black letters in loopy handwriting. The small glimpse wasn't enough to actually read it, but Yoongi can't help but stare at Seokjin's waist as white cloth crumpled and folded in such a way that the tattoo would sometimes peak out from under it.

 

Did Seokjin know someone could possibly see his tattoo? Did Jin know he was awake? Was the brunette even aware he was in the room?

 

Seokjin's head suddenly turns and their eyes lock across the room. Yoongi feels the air rise about three degrees and wonders if he could play it off by pretending to look at something behind the elder.

 

Seconds that feel like hours tic by and it's all rather ironic for Yoongi, the man who doesn't believe in soul mates, to look straight into the eye's of the one the universe had paired him with. Yoongi doesn't believe destiny or fate, so he doesn't ask Jin what his tattoo says. But he searches Jin's eyes, perplexed to all the emotions shining through. There's an undercurrent of sorrow and sadness, almost like Jin has given up and that thought alone stabs Yoongi's heart.

 

Jin looks away, going back to his room with a small juice box in hand, and Yoongi doesn't stop him.

 

What Yoongi doens't know though, is that it's his name tattooed on Seokjin's waist. Seokjin believes in fate and destiny and loves how there's someone out there for everyone.

 

Seokjin wants to believe in that small, miniscule chance but he knows that this Yoongi, the rapper and composer, does not believe in soul mates. So Seokjin quietly lets him slip out of his grasp—both too scared to acknowledge the small chance lingering between them.

 

And it's all such a tragedy, that the only thing holding back the would-be couple, is themselves.  


A/N: At first I was thinking "Hey, I should make it a happy ending" and then my brain went "Nahhh, let's make it sad and depressing" so yeah. They're like two ships passing eachother or however that quote goes.