CHAPTER NINE PT - 1

My Upstairs Secret - A BTS Fanfiction

“No wonder you’re late . . .

Why this watch is exactly 2 days slow!”

“Alice in Wonderland”

* * * * *

SUNDAE smiled sweetly at the small gathering of young men in front of her, twisting the ends of her blonde hair nervously. Shyly dropping her chin, she pointed to the large king-sized bed, sporting an assortment of tuxedos.

“For all of you,” she whispered, “it’s time for Prom. I told you it would come with the end of the storm.”

Jimin winced, frowning as V shoved him in the back with his fist (grinning at the unpredictable sister’s announcement). “Gamza Sundae,” he nodded agreeably, a not so enthusiastic collaboration following.

Holy . What was their problem? They needed to be ‘happy’, ‘excited’ . . . ‘enthusiastic’, to be invited to Prom. After all, wasn’t it was Jin and Jimin, who’d suggested they try overly exaggerated expressions and endearments in the first place, to assure they wouldn’t be trapped here for an eternity?

“SO!” Sumre’s loud boisterous voice could be heard outside the open doorway, her slender frame sliding into view as Sundae moved aside amicably. “Everything’s ready!” she announced. “Ahhhh, you are all SO HANDSOME . . . Especially you Hatter . . . I don’t know what I ever did to deserve you,” she crooned, stepping up toward Jin and V, patting both their cheeks lovingly. “I can’t wait to see how you look for pictures. Agree sister?”

Her heart racing, she threw Sundae a blank look, teasingly moving toward JungKook and Jimin. Pecking Kookie on the back of his dark head, her hand skimmed Jimin’s bare arm seductively. “And, YOUR MEN are just plain y. Mmmm, wish we could share!”

Bouncing back toward the door, long hair flying, she cackled mischievously hoping she’d gotten under Sundae’s skin the way she’d intended. Taste of her own medicine. That’s what she needed. Put her in her place before the picture taking even began. Hands behind her back she rocked on her feet, waiting patiently for the backlash.

“YOU . . .” Barking angrily, Sundae shook a long-manicured fingernail in her annoying twin’s face, her eyes smoldering, “You just need to STOP. That wasn’t funny.”

“Oh, geez. Like you never do it to me. Tsk, tsk.” Sumre clucked her tongue, one hand on the doorknob. “It’s time to get ready, or as usual . . . we’ll be late.”

The boys watched fascinated as the smug and grinning Sumre swept over behind the door, bending to Sundae (as if she were a Queen), ushering her out toward the hallway. Face set in a steely stare, the livid sister marched past without a final word to any of them.

Holding back momentarily, Sumre waited for her to disappear before whispering, “She’s going to lock the door. But, don’t worry . . . this is just pictures. Hurry and get dressed. We’ll be back as soon as we change.”

Then scrunching her shoulders, she clapped her hands excitedly. “Isn’t this fun! YOU ARE ALL AMAZING. This will be my first REAL prom!” And, blowing a massive kiss she vanished out the door.

Jin lunged toward the knob as soon as her figure left the room, but no sooner did his fingers curl around it, then he heard the automatic CLICK.

“DAMMIT. First REAL Prom. What the hell is that supposed to mean?” He questioned the others, not sure why but being guinea pigs for someone’s FIRST prom, wasn’t exactly something he wanted to experience that day. Leaning against the door frame he exhaled in exasperation. “Someone has definitely screwed with these girls. And, we’re suffering the consequences. Us and who knows how many before us.”

Dropping across the massive four-poster bed, V scanned the large ornate room. Now the girls could be heard yelling at each other from next door (something about stolen boyfriends, always flirting, and never making prom on time).

Thinking back, clearly the entire range of activities from the moment they’d stumbled inside the front door had been a bizarre myriad of disjointed and disconnected happenings. Nestling against the soft down pillow, he snickered to himself. One could only imagine what the DOLLS in the Victorian dollhouse downstairs were suddenly doing. But, Prom? What harm could come of that? His hyungs were so paranoid.

“It’s just Prom pictures guys. See that?” he stated quietly, pointing across his nose toward the large camera at the far end of the room. Set up like a photo studio, he cocked his head lazily. “Come on. Embrace it. You act like you’ve NEVER been photographed before. We’re BTS ye?”

“F.U. I’m through with your . YOU’RE AN IDIOT!” Stomping around the large room Jimin pulled back books on the shelves, turned over trinkets, and lifted the lamp. “You want to leave here in a garbage bag, wrapped in duct tape with your balls cut off? Didn’t you see ‘The Jackel’?”

Chuckling again, V threw his legs off the side of the bed and rising quickly, began tugging off his tee, reaching for the white, starched, tuxedo shirt.

“Aniiii . . . I know, I know, the list in the kitchen. But . . .” Thinking to himself as he unbuckled his belt, he turned to JungKook. “Don’t you think it’s sort of odd that even though it seems like they’re dangerous, for the most part they’re so adorable, almost loving? Did you hear what she said to me?” Standing, hands on his hips he mulled over Sumre’s sweet voice saying, ‘especially you Hatter, I don’t know what I ever did to deserve you.’ Both girls had obviously grown up without much love in their lives.

Shrugging his shoulders, Kookie scratched his dark head, reaching down to finger the hem of his shirt as he contemplated whether to give in and change (like V) or not.

He, Jin and Jimin had all been randomly punished at the hands of these girls. V was the only one who seemed to have come out unscathed. Maybe it was his crazy ‘I-don’t-give-a-’ attitude, and willingness to go along with whatever they wanted. He had a point.

“We ALL heard it TaeTae. But, I don’t know,” he answered truthfully. “I suppose we can just get the picture taking over with.”

Glancing nervously about the room before lifting his shirt, he tugged Jin and V toward the bathroom doorway, motioning for Jimin to follow.

“You’re looking for a camera huh?” he whispered, “I don’t think we should talk about them right now, ‘cause my bet is this room is bugged. Just ‘cause we don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t here. Remember the other bedrooms? I don’t need another overdose of ‘juice’ (for whatever reason) to guarantee I’ll sleep until next week.”

Scrunched into the doorway, heads together, the trio listened intensely to his commentary. “Come on, we already know the bathrooms are safe. If we stay out there, they’ll see us getting undressed AND be able to hear our conversation.”

“Aishhh. He’s right.” Rushing back across the room, Jimin grabbed a pair of dress slacks from the bottom of the bed, wondering how every Tux managed to be the correct size, darting into the bathroom behind Kookie. “What do they think this is? A damn peepshow? They watch us sleep, study our every move, touch, and . . . ewwww . . . even EXPECT to be kissed. Mianhae, (SORRY) but all this, freaks me out.”

“Wow, wow, wow . . .” Shutting the door behind them, V ped his pants, slipping out of them easily. “I’m a little surprised at you hyung. You love skinship, you act like we’ve never seen you around girls. You’ll strip on stage in front of thousands of fans in a heart-beat but won’t take your shirt off here just ‘cause you think a set of goofy twins are watching. Since when did you become such a prude? Every guys’ fantasy I’d say.”

Listening to V go on about Jimin, JungKook stared calmly at his reflection in the mirror, the other faces visible behind him. “Doesn’t matter anymore. I’ve got a plan,” he announced, “I managed to get the code to the back door earlier, AND I memorized it.”

“WHA?” Jumping in front of him, Jimin waved his arms excitedly. “F-YEAH, now we can get the hell out of this creep show.”

“Calm down, calm down. It’s not going to be THAT easy,” JungKook warned him, cocking his head wondering how and when they should make their big escape. “We don’t know exactly WHEN they’ll be back, and you see how jealous they are of each other.”

Leaning against the porcelain sink he scanned the faces of his other members focusing especially on a skeptical V. “Everyone’s in ye?”

“Absolutely . . . that’s daebak.” Patting his back appreciatively Jin bumped V in the shoulder. “Isn’t it hyung?”

“Yeahhh, daebak . . .” V sighed scuffing the floor with one bare foot. “What about Prom?”

* * * * *

“WHAT are they doing? Why did they go in the bathroom? Geez. I wanted to see!” Stomping her foot disgustedly, Sumre peered into the computer screen just as Jimin closed the door behind the four of them.

Reeling back as Sundae shoved her shoulder forcefully, she knew what was coming . . . The reprimand, and she was right.

“This is exactly what happened last time. And, we can’t hear them either. I TOLD you to get the bugs fixed in that room. You’re such a procrastinator. You never follow through. They’re talking about me I know it. That one I put in the closet is mad at me. I bet he isn’t going to cooperate for pictures OR Prom. Humpf,” she snorted, “your loss.”

“Why do you flirt with him if you think he hates you then?” Sumre shouted back, poking her in the chest heatedly. “You’re going to ruin this for me just like you always do. Not only that, you DIDN’T need to lock them in. I told you they were harmless. You’re getting harder and harder to figure out Sundae. You used to be so much more understanding.”

* * * * *

V gulped nervously, fluttering his eyes closed, his heart pounding as he heard the camera clicking over and over again. Observing him intently, Sumre stood the pink flowers she had laid out across the bed when she’d arrived, (floating through the room like a ghostly vision in pink).

He’d never attended Prom either. What would it have been like? Holding the slender Sumre in his arms, dancing . . . whispering in her ear . . . smelling the light scent of flowers about her neck. Maybe he didn’t WANT to leave here yet. Was that the reason his stomach was churning, butterflies dancing around his heart? It was MORE than crazy. Why couldn’t they just stay till this was over? Look at all the trouble the girls had gone to? It was more than disturbing.

Unable to express himself out loud, he dropped the one yellow rose toward Sumre’s pensive face smiling. “Here Sumre. You look as amazing as a warm summer day, just like your name,” he complimented her. “I wish . . .”

Starting to say he wished he could stay, knowing she was yet again . . . about to get her heart broken. All signs pointed to the fact that she and Sundae had been stood up for something as important Prom before. And, now . . . before he had time to protest, they were about to be stood up again.

“Thank you, Hatter,” she whispered back, leaning in to kiss his soft lips gently, adding . . . “I’ll never forget you, even though you weren’t ‘chosen’. You’re perfect. I’m so sorry.”

She was falling in love with him, but even though his dark eyes twinkled with care and concern, she also knew he was lying. He would leave her like they all did.

“SUMRE,” Sundae snipped, nodding toward the large camera. “Come. We have all the shots we need. Time to change again. I swear this dress gets more uncomfortable every year.” Complaining outwardly, she tugged at the tight bodice. “They need to go back to their rooms and come down to get us remember?”

Blinked at V, tiny tears unexpectedly pricked the corners of Sumre’s eyes. “Don’t worry Hatter.” Her sigh was so quietly he barely heard her. “I won’t let her lock you in.”

Patting his face, she turned toward Sundae a stern look crossing her wet eyes. “You need to relax. Alice and Rabbit are keeping time. They ALL know what time it is, we DON’T need to be reminded.” Scanning the accommodating faces of the boys before her, dapper in their tuxedos, she half-smiled. “You are all wonderful. Fun and engaging. I won’t forget you. Any of you.”

“WHAT IS WITH YOU?” Sundae barked loudly. Dear God, she sounded as if she was going downstairs to stab herself or something, stupid girl. She was so sappy and romantic. It got her into trouble every time. “Get the door.”

Circling the three remaining ‘dates’ the bi-polar twin sighed, rolling her eyes up toward a nervous yet curious JungKook. “King . . .” Stopping directly in front of his wide-eyed face, she tugged out her outrageous hair piece with one hand.

Knowing their time was limited, the others’ eyes skirted furtively about the studio. JungKook hoping to make one final and lasting impression pulled his bouquet of flowers toward her, (acting increasingly more like V).

“Here. They’re beautiful, just like you.”

Reaching toward her stern face, he hoped to see a glimpse of the soft gleam in her eye that had been there the first day at the party when she’d asked him to play the piano. V was right. For all the quirky attitudes, punishments and even the ‘juice’, these girls were undeniably attractive and held a mystic aura like no other girl he’d ever known.

Realizing they were only one step away from freedom, he too longed to wait out the Prom, have a dance, rest in her arms and savor the moment. But, it was his own admission that was sending them packing. They would leave this adventure behind, and donned in their tuxedos, head out into the mild afternoon sun to trudge through the mud and melting snow back to civilization.

As a chuckle rose from his lips . . . his time at the sink; playing maid, squished between the walls for punishment, and even waking up wondering how he had gotten undressed and into bed; all seemed inconsequential.

“Kingggg.” Sundae purred taking the bouquet from his hands and wrapping her arms about his waist allowing him to squeeze her tightly. “We’re going to be great together.”

Nodding her blonde head toward Jimin noticed his casual attitude and distant stare out across the room. For being her FIRST, it was plain to see he was finished. His heart, empty. Like sister’s FIRST he too was already bored and checked out. What a turn of events. Who would have thought? Why had the two of them fought so heatedly over their affections?

Releasing ‘King’, she resumed a teacher-like stance, clearing announcing authoritatively, “We’ll be downstairs in the parlor. When the music starts you may come for us.”

Grabbing Sumre’s hand she headed toward the large wooden door (with much pomp and circumstance) throwing her other hand in the air as they marched away.

“LET THE PROM COMMENCE.”

* * * * *