My Heart's In Heaven

My Heart's In Heaven

I was so surprised today.


Today, Taeyeon gave me a cute doll I had wanted to buy ever since I saw it at the doll shop in a mall. I did not even tell Taeyeon how much I loved and wanted that pink bear doll, yet she knew and ended up buying it for me. She even wrapped it with a pink wrap paper and wrote: "To Sunny Bunny" on it. She was so sweet, right?

Yeah, I had been best friends with Taeyeon ever since we enrolled in this university near my dorm together. Taeyeon lived not far away from my dorm, so we would often meet at night to simply have dinner together. I was really happy every time she was around. Being with Taeyeon was so comfortable and fun.

I took my phone from the bed and quickly played my fingers on the keypad. I did not realize I had been grinning by myself like crazy while I pressed the keypad buttons.

To: Taengoo

Tae, I want to say thank you once again for the doll. But I'm still wondering how you could know I want that doll so much?? Keke~"

I hugged the pink bear doll tightly as I put back my phone beside me on the bed. I was still smiling all by myself, not knowing the reason. I let out a deep breath as I felt my heartbeat racing a little bit faster than usual. Then, not a long time later, I could feel my phone vibrating. I quickly took it and opened the message.

It was indeed the reply from her I had been waiting for.

From: Taengoo

Yah~ ^^ You're welcome, Bunny. Of course I know you want it, I have telepathy you know. Keke"

A big grin formed again on my lips when I read her reply. My heart turned warm as I read the word 'telepathy'. So Taeyeon really knew what was in my heart and my mind? Without waiting, I opened my phone's keypad again and began texting back.

To: Taengoo

You really know me well. I'll see you in class tomorrow. Nite, Taengoo

With that, I created a last smile on my face. I shut down my phone and turned off my room's lamp. I bumped my body onto the comfortable pillow and bed. Even when I was about to lose my consciousness into the dream world, I was still smiling by myself.

I did not know why I was feeling like that. Why I felt so happy receiving gifts from Taeyeon. And I was wondering... Why did Taeyeon give that doll for me? With that question in mind, I slowly drifted by the drowsiness and closed my eyes.

"Sunny! Sunny-ah! Wake up! You said you want to go to the university together with me!"

I heard someone calling my name so loudly the next morning. The first thing I realized when I opened my eyes was that it was Tiffany's voice which were calling me. She knocked my door so loudly that I was afraid it would disturb the people living next to me.

I pushed away my blanket and quickly ran to the door. I opened it and showed my sulky face to the person I knew would be standing in front of me.

"Could you please not knock the door so loudly? It will disturb the others, you know"

I saw Tiffany flashing her eye-smile to me. "I'm sorry, Sunny. It's because I know you won't wake up if I don't do so"

I drew away from her lazily. "Yeah... Whatever"

Tiffany was another friend of mine in the university. The three of us, Taeyeon, Tiffany, and I had been stuck together ever since we knew each other in our first semester here. Since Tiffany's house was the farthest among the three of us, she could not join us for dinner very often. Usually there would always be only Taeyeon and me having dinner in the nearby cafe.

"Go take a bath, Sunny! This is already ten past seven! Go to bath or I'll leave you to the university first"

"I know, I know! Stop scolding me okay..."

As what Tiffany had ordered me, I quickly went to my bathroom, taking a towel and my clothes with me. I never took more than five minutes for showering. I finished my preparation by spreading perfume all over my jacket.

We walked to the university together, talking about the plans we had for that day. I smiled when I saw Taeyeon waving toward us. I waved back to her and soon approached her, along with Tiffany.

"Good morning" Taeyeon greeted.

"Good morning, Taengoo" I smiled to her.

"Good morning, you guys. I have to meet my friend before class starts. So, bye for now" Tiffany looked at her wrist watch and then waved us goodbye.

"Bye, Tiff. I'll see you later" I waved my hand back to Tiffany.

"Sunny, do you have plans after classes today?" Taeyeon suddenly asked me on our way to the class.

"Not really, why Taengoo?"

“Want to go to the cafe for dinner?"

I was so happy to hear her asking me for a dinner. "Of course! I'll be glad to"

"But... Can we ask Tiffany to join too?"

I shrugged. "I don't know if Tiffany can make it. She has always had to go home earlier. But let me try to ask her later..."

"Okay then..."

I suddenly thought of something. I opened my bag's zipper and pulled something out of it. I soon showed it in front of Taeyeon's eyes.

"Tadaaa!" I shouted as I showed her the doll she bought for me.

Taeyeon's eyes widened after she saw the doll. "You even bring this doll here? You must love it so much, huh?"

I took back the doll from her and hugged it tightly. "Yes, I do love it so much"

Actually it was not the doll which I loved so much. The fact that Taeyeon was the one who bought if for me was the thing I loved the most. I did not know why I felt like that, but I was so happy.



I think Taeyeon really had a supernatural power, sixth sense, or something like that.

It was a week after when we went to the mall together; Taeyeon, Tiffany, and I, when I saw a very beautiful necklace. It was a silver necklace, the one with a bunny pendant. At first, I only told Taeyeon how much I loved it. Never did I have an intention to ask Taeyeon to buy it for me. But, suddenly, the next morning during our way to the class together, Taeyeon gave a red box for me.

I opened it and it was the silver bunny necklace I had been wanting so much. I guess Taeyeon really had telepathy with me.

"Yah, Taeyeon. Do you like me or something? Why do you keep buying me stuffs?"

Taeyeon answered after she finished her orange juice. "It has been only twice. Just accept it. I know you want it so much"

"Yeah, I know. But why did you have to buy it for me? I could afford it myself..."

"I said, just accept it"

I could only stay silent after she told me to just accept it. It was not that I did not want to accept it. I was wondering WHY she bought all that stuffs for me. Even if we were best friends, it was not something she should have done for me. It was too much, even though I was happy with all those gifts.

Was it possible that she did this because she felt sorry for me? Did she know that I... I...

"Sunny-ah" Taeyeon's voice shocked me almost to death.

"Y- Yes?"

"Have you ever fallen in love?" She suddenly asked again.

I gulped a bit before I asked her back. "Why did you suddenly ask me so?"

"I don't know..." Taeyeon sighed. "I just really want to know the sign of someone falling in love"

"Do you fall in love with someone lately?"

"I think… Yeah…"

I smiled at her playfully. "Really? With whom?"

I could see Taeyeon's cheeks reddened. "I... I can't tell you now.. Because I have to make sure first…"

I let out a short breath. "Okay… Just tell me if you want to tell anything, Taengoo"

"Thank you, Sunny" Taeyeon turned her head and smiled to me. "I know you'll always be there for me. Thank you so much"

Starting from that day, I thought about Taeyeon's question a lot. Taeyeon was falling in love with someone? With whom? Why did I have to care so much about the person she loved? Wasn't I only her best friend?

People said that when you were falling in love with someone, your heartbeat rate increased. You would smile and giggle by yourself so much when you were thinking about that person. You would worry over them day and night. You would always know what they needed from morning until night. You would be so happy when they talked to you even for just a minute.

Weren't all these things the things I had been feeling about Taeyeon? Had I been falling in love with her?


The third time Taeyeon bought me stuff was a few weeks after that, after I told Taeyeon I broke my headphone. Again, I told Taeyeon without any expectation for her to buy it for me. I was just merely telling her, and the next thing I knew when I arrived in the university's gate was that she showed me the new headphone.

"Why did you buy me this headphone?" I asked her.

I even had not said 'thank you' to her. I was too amazed that she bought me stuff, again.

"Because your headphone is broken, right?"

"That's not what I mean, Taeyeon..."

"Just accept it, Sunny. I know you need it" Taeyeon again just smiled to me.

I did not know how to accept that smile. My heart turned warm when I saw her smiling at me. I kept staring at the new headphone she bought for me. I treasured the stuffs she gave me so much.

Kim Taeyeon, I guess I had been really falling in love with you now...

"I think she has something toward you, Sunny"

I heard Hyomin commenting after I told her what happened between Taeyeon and I. We were sitting in the university's cafe after finishing our class. Taeyeon was having a meeting with her karaoke club and Tiffany still had not finished her class. I accidentally bumped onto Hyomin and I ended up telling my feelings to her.

"What do you mean by 'something'?" I asked her back.

"I think…" Hyomin bit her burgers before answering my question. "I think she likes you"

I acted awkwardly with the thoughts of Taeyeon having a crush for me. I felt my cheek turned hot and I knew they must have reddened a lot.

"It's impossible that Taeyeon likes me..." I scratched my head.

"Why impossible? Why else did she give you all those stuffs if it meant nothing?" Hyomin continued, with a mouth full of food.

I let Hyomin finish her food while I kept all the thoughts to myself. I did not want to be too delusional, but what Hyomin said was true. Why did Taeyeon have to buy me all those things if she did not mean any single thing for me?

The thoughts of Taeyeon loving me made me even more nervous. I gripped my own hands. I didn't want to be too excited about this, but my heart beat faster by itself, without my order. If Taeyeon ever told me that she loved me... I… I...

I had to tell you that I was completely in love with you, too. Taeyeon. I really did.

"By the way, Sunny…" Hyomin called me again. "Does Taeyeon know about your condition?"

I shook my head. "No, she doesn't"

"So you still haven't told her until now? Why not?"

I gave it a thought before I could reply. "I don't think it's important for her to know..."

"Hey, if she really loves you, she has the right to know"

I sighed upon Hyomin's words. I had been best friends with Taeyeon but she did not know about this. I didn't know why but I didn't feel like telling it to Taeyeon.



It was on a rainy night, on Saturday, when I heard my phone vibrating once – the signal of a text message came in. I had just finished showering, so I was still with my towel on the head when I opened the text message and smiled widely.

It was from her.

From: Taengoo

Sunny-ah~ You want to have a dinner at the cafe with me? I have something important to tell you. Please come"

I almost dropped my heart to the ground seeing her invitation. And it was not just merely an invitation – it was going to be an important invitation. What something important did Taeyeon want to tell me? Was she going to confess her love for me? I had not prepared my heart at all for that! Nevertheless, I still had to come. I piled up my courage and began texting back.

To: Taengoo

Okay,Taengoo~ ^^ I will come at 7, as usual. See you there"

With panic, I opened my clothes' drawer and sorted all my best dresses. I took a look the dresses one by one before deciding to put on a dark pink dress. I really wanted to look beautiful that night, only for Taeyeon.

I put on some make-up on my face, making sure that it was not too thick and was not too ordinary. I opened the small box under my bed containing my best red high-heel shoes. I tried it and it matched my dress tonight. I checked my appearance all over again on the mirror before going.

Did I look foolish with all these things? Would Taeyeon praise me for being beautiful tonight? As I stepped outside the front door of my house, my heart raced and raced. I prepared my heart about what to answer to Taeyeon tonight.

I walked to the cafe with some people staring at me during my way on the streets. It was maybe because I looked a little bit too stunning that night. I didn't really care about them all. I only wanted to meet Taeyeon. I wanted to talk to her and told her I loved her.

I opened the cafe's front door calmly, not wanting Taeyeon to think I was too excited about this. I turned my head left and right, trying to spot Taeyeon's presence on one of the tables. Suddenly I saw her sitting on the corner of the room, with a small table in front of her. She waved at me and I waved back. Again, calmly, I walked closer to her.

I flashed an eye-smile to her while sitting down.

"You want to order something?" She asked me politely.

"Hmm, yeah. Maybe just my favorite steak, as usual" I replied.

Taeyeon then called the waitress and ordered our own usual favorite meals. She just smiled to me after she finished ordering and the waitress was gone.

"So..." I decided to speak up first. "What is it that you want to talk to me?"

Taeyeon rubbed her fingers for a while. She looked nervous yet confused. She then fixed her gaze on me. I paid attention to her lips while she started to speak.

"I love you" She said, in a low voice.

I almost formed a smile on my face when I heard that, but I tried to restrain myself somehow. Instead, I pretended to ask her repeating it once again.

"I'm sorry?"

"I love you. I really do" Taeyeon looked deeply into my eyes once again, making me even more nervous.

"T- Taeyeon..." I was about to reply her with a smile and a hug, when I noticed she suddenly giggling awkwardly by herself.

"I know right, it was awkward" She said. "I don't think I can tell it to Tiffany this way. It's going to be awkward"

When she finished her statement, I felt like I wanted to cut my ears, so that I didn't have to hear anything anymore.

"T- Tiffany? What do you mean, Tae?" I asked to reassure, I might have been wrong.

"I..." Taeyeon sighed deeply. "I am in love with Tiffany, Sunny... I don't know what to do"

"You..." I gulped. "You are in love with Tiffany?"

"Yes… I know I've been hiding this for a while. But… But I think I really fall in love with her… I don't know why but… Aargh! I don't know how to say it, Sunny"

You couldn't cry in front of her now, Sunny, you must be strong. I said to myself. Be strong, Sunny. You weren't the one Taeyeon had been falling in love with. Be strong.

"Just tell her" I was finally able to fake a smile in front of her. "Just tell her, Tae. I think she likes you, too"

"I hope so too" Taeyeon continued. "You will always help me if I need you later, right? Sunny?"

Her words left a big pain in my heart. I still needed to answer her, anyway.

"Y-Yes... Of course I will, Taengoo. I will always be here for you"

"Thank you, Sunny…"

"You know" I tried pretending to joke around with her. "Maybe you should have given all the stuffs you bought for me for Tiffany instead"

Taeyeon laughed awkwardly and nervously. "Of course I was serious when I bought those stuffs, Sunny. You're like my little sister and it will never change. If you need something just tell me. If I can buy it, I will buy it for you"

A little sister.

I was only a little sister for her.

My delusional heart had been deceiving me.

The pain in my heart grew bigger. I could not stand it so much that I had to hold onto the table to survive.

I wanted to shed my tears now, but I couldn't.

"Taeyeon, I'm sorry..." I mumbled to her. "I think I have to go home now"

I could feel Taeyeon's surprised face even without seeing her.

"Why, Sunny? The food hasn't arrived"

"I know but I'm feeling a little bit unwell..." I faked a smile again. "I'm really sorry, but I have to go home, Taeyeon"

I stood up from my seat weakly. Taeyeon moved from her seat too to help me moving.

"I will send you home, Sunny" She said with a worried face.

"It's okay, Taeyeon. I still can go home by myself. You still have to eat your food"

"But you look really sick. I can cancel our food and just have dinner in your dorm"

Stupid Kim Taeyeon.

Why did you have to care for me so much if you actually meant nothing about it?

"I said I'm okay, Taeyeon! Leave me alone!"

With that, I ran away from her. I rushed out from the cafe and ran through the streets, all the way back to my dorm. I didn't know if I did the wrong thing that night. Now Taeyeon would really never care about me anymore.

It was my own fault that I had been being too delusional, thinking she was actually falling in love with me.

* * *

"I love you, Tiffany. I just want to confess my feelings. I… I don't know what to do about it"

I piled up my courage and finally decided to confess my feelings to Tiffany the next afternoon, the day after I talked with Sunny and she left me so suddenly. I know Tiffany would probably not accept me, but I just couldn't hold it in anymore. I had to tell her. I asked Tiffany to come to the university's emergency stairs so that we could talk calmly.

"You… You love me?" Tiffany muttered with disbelief. "But… But how could it be, Taeng? I mean… We're best friends, you know"

I smiled awkwardly in front of her. "I know… I know this is going to be awkward. But… I just want to tell it to you, Tiffany. It's okay if you don't have the same feelings as me. I just want to confess because I can't hide it anymore..."

Tiffany replied me with another awkward laugh. "No, I mean, it's just too sudden, Tae. I need time to think..."

This time, I gave her a gently warm smile. "It's okay, Fany. Don't burden yourself because of my sudden confession. I will be waiting"

After I talked with Tiffany, I was slightly happy because Tiffany said she would give a thought about it. I was afraid because I thought she would completely reject me. I grinned by myself when walking down the stairs. Without waiting, I took my cellphone from my pocket. The only person I wanted to tell this to was Sunny.

But the thought of her suddenly made me sad. Why did she suddenly just go home last night? Why did she suddenly look so sad? The smile disappeared from my face as I began texting her.

To: Sunny Bunny

Sunny-ah~ Where are you right now? Are you still sick? I want to meet you. I have something to tell~"

Worrying a bit, I clicked the send message button. I waited as I continued walking down the building's stairs. My phone did not vibrate even until I walked out of the building. On my way home, I kept checking my phone's screen over and over, hoping there would be a reply from Sunny.

I reached my home and opened the front door. As usual, I threw my bag on the floor and then prepared myself for a bath. I took off my clothes and checked the phone again before I entered the bathroom. There was still no reply.

As I made myself wet under the water coming out from the shower, I kept feeling worried. What happened to Sunny? Why didn't she reply my message? Was she okay? Did something happen to her yesterday?

On the other side, I was happy. I was feeling excited to hear news from Tiffany soon. I got a feeling that she would accept me. I got a feeling that she loved me too. I hope my feelings didn't lie to me. I finished my bath and went out of the bathroom. The first thing I checked was, of course, my cellphone again.

I smiled when I saw there was finally one message. I opened it and felt relieved to see what was on the screen.

From: Sunny Bunny

Hey Taeyeon ^^ Yeah, I was okay. Sorry for leaving suddenly last night. So how are things going?"

With only a towel wrapping my body, I texted Sunny back.

To: Sunny Bunny

Can we meet tonight for a dinner again? If you still feel unwell, I can go to your dorm and bring you some food"

I was so happy to hear that she was fine. I thought something wrong went between us but it seemed like everything was okay. Yeah, I thought everything was okay until I got another reply from her.

From: Sunny Bunny

I'm sorry Tae but I'm going out with another friend tonight. Maybe we can have dinner again sometime later. If you need anything, just text me. See you~ ^^

I frowned a little bit after I finished reading the message. So Sunny was meeting another friend these days? Who was it? A boy? Why did she never tell me about it?

I threw myself on the bed. As I started to fall asleep, I whispered a prayer in my heart. I prayed that everything would just go fine. Between Sunny, Tiffany, and me.

I had to wait for more or less a week until Tiffany asked me to meet her again in the school's backyard. She texted me that morning saying that she wanted to meet me after her class ended on 4 PM. My class ended two hours earlier than her, so I waited for her for two hours on the park's bench.

While I waited, I took my cellphone. Somehow, I was reminded of Sunny. This backyard was the place where Sunny and I usually sat together to do our assignments. As the wind blew, I felt the urge to text Sunny right at the moment.

To: Sunny Bunny

Sunny-ah~ I'm now waiting for Tiffany about our relationship. You will pray the best for us, won't you? Keke~ See you, bunny ^^

I sent the message and let out a deep breath. I leaned myself on the bench and stared at the blue sky.

"Taeyeon-ah"

I turned my head to see Tiffany standing right behind me. She looked beautiful with a stunning red jacket, white sleeveless top, and jeans. I stood up, feeling my heartbeat increase three times faster. She was really beautiful.

"Hey" I greeted her awkwardly. "Your class ended a little bit earlier than usual?"

"Yes, just a little bit" Tiffany laughed. "Maybe the lecturer knew that I had to meet you right now"

I laughed too hearing her response. I scratched my head awkwardly.

"So…" I started again. "So how's your..."

"Umm…" Tiffany continued. "I think I will have to see first how much you love me"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I'll give you one month, Taeyeon. If you're able to win my heart in one month, then I will give you a chance to date me"

I smiled convincingly. One month was not hard for me. I could prove it. I loved her very much.

"Challenge accepted" I smirked. "I'll get you in one month"

Tiffany seemed stunned a bit seeing my confidence. "Then prove it"

"Okay" I reassured.

I managed to ask Sunny for a dinner the night after I got the challenge from Tiffany. I came earlier to the cafe where Sunny and I usually had our dinner. I was really eager to tell her about this. After waiting for a while, I saw Sunny walking in to the cafe.

I was about to call her name when I noticed someone following her from behind.

"Hey, Taeyeon" In the end, Sunny ended up calling me first. "I invited my old friend Hyomin to join us for dinner. Is it okay with you?"

I just nodded. Who was Hyomin? I just knew that Sunny had this old friend with her.

"It's okay, I don't mind" I replied to her.

Suddenly I saw a hand in front my eyes. I looked up and realized Hyomin was offering her hand to me.

"Hello, I'm Hyomin" She said with a charming smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Taeyeon" I shook her hand.

During our dinner, Sunny kept talking to Hyomin. They both kept chatting together and it felt like Sunny almost completely forgot about me being there. They talked random things about their past, probably about the things happened during their high school periods.

I got no chance to talk a lot with Sunny at all. Sure, she still asked me about how things were going in the university, but then she would just answer me with an 'ooh' and then she went back to Hyomin. Finally, when Hyomin was going to the restroom, I got a chance to talk with Sunny.

"Sunny" I called.

"Yes?"

"Tiffany, she... She offered me a challenge to win over her heart in one month"

I saw a glimpse of Sunny being a little bit awkward.

"Oh, cool" She then commented. "I sincerely pray you will win over her, Tae"

I threw a smile at her. "Thank you, Sunny"

We passed the minutes in silence before Hyomin came back and totally made Sunny forgot about me, again. I didn't even have the chance to ask Sunny how things were going on with her. I stirred the coke I was drinking with a straw while I looked at Sunny's face when she was talking to Hyomin.

She looked happy. Not only her, but Hyomin, too. They both looked really happy together, talking to each other. As long as I remembered, I had never seen Sunny with such happiness in her face when she was with me. Seeing her expression, I thought Sunny was really happy with Hyomin by her side now.

After that day, things were going apart for me and Sunny. I continued my effort to take over Tiffany's heart every day. I never forgot to text her good morning. I memorized every single of her schedules. I waited for her on the university's front gate before her class started. I sent her to the bus station after she finished her classes.

When I met Sunny in the middle of our way to the classes, she still greeted me. We would only greet each other, but that was all. When I went home from the university, I often passed by Sunny walking with Hyomin to her dorm. Every time I met them, I would almost always find them laughing together, with Hyomin wrapping her arms around Sunny's shoulder. I was somehow happy that Sunny could finally find someone who could take care of her so much.

Without realizing it, it was almost nearing my birthday. I remembered clearly, last year, Sunny gave me a very cool pair of shoes I needed for my basketball competition. I still kept those shoes very well until now. This year, I was expecting what Tiffany would give me as a birthday present. Of course, I was still expecting a gift from Sunny too, but Tiffany's present would be the bomb in my birthday.

My birthday fell on Sunday but unexpectedly, it was raining heavily that day. I was getting a little bit worried. Would Tiffany be able to come here under such a weather? She said she would come, but... I didn't want her to get sick only because she had to come to greet me happy birthday. I sat in the kitchen alone, watching television.

Not a long time after, I heard a knock on the door. I quickly stood up from my seat and got really excited. I ran to the door with a nervous heart. I hope it would be Tiffany. I wanted to see her – only her. In panic, I opened the door's key and pulled it widely.

Finally I saw her. Tiffany was in front of me, with a cute pink raincoat and pink umbrella. She gave her eye-smile to me so warmly.

"Happy birthday, Taeyeooon!" She immediately threw herself to hug me.

I smiled and welcomed her by hugging her back. "Thank you, Tiffany. I'm really happy"

When Tiffany was still in my embrace suddenly I saw a shadow behind the door. I looked more closely and realized it was the shadow of someone familiar. Could it be...

"S- Sunny..?" I asked awkwardly when I realized it was really her.

"Hey, Taeyeon" Sunny smiled to me. "Happy birthday"

Only a few seconds later did I realize that Sunny had been walking alone here by herself. I suddenly noticed her wet hair, wet white shirt and wet jeans. Did she walk here alone in the middle of the big rain?

"Sunny. Why did you come now?" I asked her again.

"Yeah... Why? Is it a wrong timing?" She smiled weakly.

"No, no... Of course not. I mean... It was raining so heavily, Sunny. Why didn't you just wait until the rain stopped?"

"It's okay, I just want to give you this..." Sunny then pulled something out from her bag. “Happy birthday, Taeyeon. I will go home after this. I don't want to disturb your time with her..."

I soon took the gift Sunny offered me. It was a gift beautifully and tidily wrapped. Even though it had rained heavily, I didn't spot any single rain drops on the gift Sunny gave me. Did Sunny protect this gift using her own body throughout the rain?

"Tae…" I heard Sunny calling my name once again. "I… I have to tell you something"

"Yes…?"

"I.." Sunny hesitated a bit. "I've been dating with Hyomin…"

I didn't know whether to be happy or to be sad. I was happy that she was finally with somebody whom she really loved now. But... But at the same time, I felt like something was losing from me. Something that made me disappointed, and gave me an unfamiliar, lonely feeling. I didn't know what it was.

"Congratulations, Sunny!" I somehow managed to smile to her. "I'm really happy that you're with her. Hyomin takes care of you very well. I think you've fallen into her now"

Sunny nodded weakly with a smile. "Yeah, I'm happy myself, too. Anyway, I'm going home now. Hyomin's waiting for me. Take care, Taeyeon. Have a good time with Tiffany, okay?"

I answered her with a nod, too. "I will. Thank you so much, Sunny. Have a great time with Hyomin, too"

I opened the gift Sunny gave me that night. I tore the wrapping paper carefully because I knew Sunny wrapped it by herself. She always wrapped things by herself. I pulled the gift off the paper carefully and what I found was three cute peas dolls.

I laughed to myself. So Sunny still remembered the stuffs I loved the most. When I was about to hug the dolls, suddenly I realized there was a greeting card inside the wrapping paper. I took it and opened it.

To: Taengoo

Taengoo-yah~ Happy birthday. I wish you all the best for your life. By the way, I knitted these three dolls by myself. I hope you like it~ ^^

I laughed by myself again seeing her cute way of writing. I hugged the dolls so tightly and closed my eyes. It was only a few weeks I hadn't talked to Sunny again, but I felt like it had been a long time. I hugged the dolls even tighter and I suddenly missed everything.

I missed Sunny's smiles and jokes. I missed the way she nagged at me, asking me to accompany her to dinner. I missed the way we chatted online on the internet until dawn.

I missed everything. And to think that she would be doing all those things she used to do with me with Hyomin, I felt a pain in my heart. It was true that Hyomin took a good care of her better than me, but… but… Somehow I hoped I was the only one Sunny could depend on.

Unconsciously, I fell asleep with tears flowing on my cheeks...

I woke up the next morning because of the loud voice of my phone ringing. I remembered I didn't settle any alarm that morning, so it must be the sound of someone calling. I sleepily waved my hand here and there to grab my phone. When I finally caught it in my hand, I looked directly at the screen.

It was from Tiffany.

What happened?

"Hello? Fany-ah? What is it?" I asked, still with eyes half-closed.

"Taeyeon-ah? Where are you?" I heard Tiffany speaking in panic.

"I'm still at my house. Why? What happened?" I opened my eyes wider than before.

"Taeyeon…" I could hear Tiffany sighing deeply. "Sunny is in the hospital… She's in a critical condition right now…"

I immediately forced myself to sit on my bed. I felt my heart dropping down to its lowest level.

"What?!" I yelled. "What do you mean?! What happened to her?!"

"I don't know, Taeyeon! I really don't know... Hyomin just called me and she said... She said Sunny is in the emergency room"

I pushed away my blanket and ran to my clothes drawer. "What hospital is she in right now?!"

"The SM hospital... I'm still in class so I can't go..."

"Okay I will go there now… Thanks for informing me, Fany"

I ended the call and took whatever shirt was in front of me that moment. I didn't even think about bathing first. I put on my jacket and went to the hospital by a taxi. It was not far from here, so I arrived there in less then 20 minutes.

I ran to the receptionist. If I didn't hold my panic that moment, I could have yelled at the nurses on the front desk.

"Excuse me, Miss. Is there a patient called Sunny in the emergency room right now?"

The nurse seemed to understand from my facial expression that I was in a hurry.

"Yes, she just got in this morning. Just go straight to that aisle and turn left. It's the emergency room"

I nodded. "Thank you!"

I ran to the direction where the nurse ordered me. I felt my cold sweat making me wet from head to toe. Why was it all suddenly like this!? Why!??

I arrived in front of the emergency room and saw some people there. Even though I had never met Sunny's parents, from their worried expression I could know that the old couples standing in front of me must be Sunny's father and mother. I turned to see another corner and found Hyomin sitting helplessly on one of the seats.

I stepped fast to sit beside Hyomin.

"Where's Sunny? What happened to her? How could she suddenly end up here?! Did she get an accident?!"

Hyomin slowly turned her head to look at me. Looking at her black eyes, I knew that she had been through a sleepless night. It took a while before she could finally be able to speak and answer me.

"It's not ‘suddenly’, Taeyeon.." She said in a hopeless voice. "Sunny… She has been keeping this sickness from you along this time… You… You just didn't know it before…"

I shook my head. Impossible! Sunny was my best friend! I knew everything about her!

"What sickness?!" I tried to hold my tears. "What?! What has she been hiding from me!?"

"She..." Hyomin didn’t dare to look at me anymore. "She has been having heart failure ever since she was in high school. I know about her condition... When she entered university and became best friends with you... I don't know why but she keeps refusing every time I ask her to tell you about her sickness..."

I was speechless. I could only bury my head in my own palms. I rubbed my face in frustration. I failed. I had never actually known Sunny that much. I didn't know her pain.

Before I could do my last effort to pray for Sunny, I saw the doctors coming out from the emergency room. I lost hope the moment I saw their hopeless facial expression.

"We're really sorry" One of the doctors took off his masker and spoke. "But we didn't manage to help her. She was too critical already"

I froze on my spot.

Sunny passed away?

Sunny?

The one who had always been there for me?

And I didn't even get the chance to say my last words for her?

Why?

A moment after, when I was still frozen on my spot, the emergency room opened and I saw Sunny being pushed on a bed by the nurses. I forced my stoned body to move and slowly open the blue blanket which covered her whole body.

One, two, three and more drops of tears fell from my eyes.

She still looked beautiful as usual. The same Sunny I had been seeing for three years. The same Sunny who had always been there with me, cheering me on every time I was down and laughed with me when I was up.

I let out a deep breath before Hyomin suddenly poked my shoulder. I turned to look at her with my red wet eyes.

"There's one more thing Sunny has been hiding from you…"

"What…" I asked slowly. "What is that…"

Hyomin sighed before continuing. "I'm sorry that I asked her to lie to you that she had been dating with me. The truth is... We never dated. You're the one she's always in love with, Taeyeon. She said it to me"

My body trembled on my own. Sunny was in love with me? Not Hyomin? I thought… I thought... She was happy with Hyomin. I thought she really meant the smiles and laughs she made every time she was with Hyomin. But... But she was actually in love... with me??

Why didn’t I realize that?

And now that she was gone… Why did I just realize the same feeling I got for her? That I needed her the most in my life?

Why did true love become known only after it left us?

* * *

It had been exactly six months after my last chance to see Sunny when I finally dared myself to enter the café we had always spent our time together in the past. When the waitress saw me, she smiled as if she recognized my face.

It was weird, because when I saw the door of the café, I heard Sunny’s voice. When I saw the chairs which had not changed at all since the last time Sunny and I sat on them, I saw Sunny. When I looked at the food display on the wall, I remembered Sunny.

“Welcome. I think it’s been a while since you dropped by here” She said before passing me the menu from another table.

“Yeah, I got a little bit busy”

“Just by yourself today?”

“…Yeah”

The girl did not comment upon my gloomy answer and walked back to the kitchen. I looked down, pretending to pay attention to the menu while I was actually hiding the piled-up tears in my eyes. I gripped my hands tightly.

Sunny-yah, I guess this was the right time to let you go. I know you are up there now in a better place now. You are even probably watching me right now and you probably already know everything, too. I broke up with Tiffany, and it was because I realized you were the one I wanted. No, you are and will always be the one I want. It’s probably too late now, right? But I know you will forgive me and will be happy to see me happy. I have to move on, but please do know that there’s always this part of me which is reserved for you and will never be replaced. No matter when and where, please do know, that my heart’s in heaven with you. I love you. I love you. I love you.  

While the monologue was running through my mind, the very same waitress had come back with a smile carved on her face.

“Ready to order? Would you like to order your favorite menu from three months ago?”

I tried to brighten up my expression. Then, I traced my finger on the list of food in front of me before finding Sunny’s favorite menu.

“Hamburger, bread pudding, and one glass of coke, please”