(1/1)

my heart skips a beat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minseok was 20 when he got his tattoo that would seal his fate to somebody he might know or to somebody he’s a complete stranger towards. Hopefully, the woman he’ll be paired with would like him as well.





Soulmate. This person is supposedly one’s person. Your one and only pair and by some inky inscription in one’s body will it be determined.


The idea of having a soulmate seems to be a pleasure to most of the citizens in the world and South Korea is not an exception. Eventually, Minseok isn’t as well.





Minseok hasn’t stopped thinking about it since his parents told their own story about meeting and falling in love at first meet. 









He was ten when he finally understood the story that apparently, his parents has told him a hundred times before. But it doesn’t really matter that he was too young for the information. 


Since then, he has always anticipated for that beautiful script to bloom on his body. Always taking his time to search around his little frame for some writing, some tattoo, some name of the woman that would make his heart skip a beat and take his breath away. (He was basically referring to his father’s experience and although he didn’t really know how that was even possible, ten year old him insisted that he would feel like that too because ‘we’re soulmates! We’re meant to be! Just like mama and papa!’) 


But he only sighs as another day goes by without the tattoo showing. He hasn’t lost any hope until he reached high school.








High school was not much of a hassle for Minseok. Maybe the school works increased but that didn’t really stress him too much. He still has his own friends and he met Hanie. 


Lu Hanie is the most beautiful girl (next to his mother, of course) he’s ever set his feline eyes on; blonde curls that reaches past her shoulders, doe eyes that Minseok feels like he’s lost in, a cute button nose and natural pink lips.


Hanie wasn’t hard to like. 


Aside from being the (second) prettiest person in the world, Hanie was also a very out-going, kind and fun person. She also got the curves that every girl envies. She and Minseok clicked right away and even though Hanie was a girl, it didn’t stop her from being really close to Minseok.





Minseok’s smitten and maybe that was one of the unspoken ‘not to do list’ in this universe.









He still hasn’t gotten his inscription and just hopes, really hopes, that it should be Hanie. His Hanie. Maybe he was holding to the fact that Hanie hasn’t gotten her own tattoo back then that’s why he was a little confident. But when it did, he had to bite back the whimper he almost,almost let out when Hanie came running towards him that fateful Tuesday morning.


“Minseok!” He hears a squeal after his name was yelled and even though the voice was pitched it didn’t take him a second to guess – to know the girl who owns it. He turns around and meets a grinning Hanie. She was smiling so wide that Minseok can hardly see her eyes but that doesn’t stop him from smiling, though.


“Good morning to you, too, Hanie. What’s up?” And maybe, he shouldn’t have asked that.


Hanie ignored his question to pull her knee-high socks down and reveal a black inscription of a name. Right there on her leg, written in beautiful script was the full name of Hanie’s soulmate.


Minseok couldn’t hear the rambling of the other teenager as how she felt it blooming in the middle of a fight with her brother.


What Minseok did hear squeezed his heart really tight was ‘He’s exactly who I was hoping for, Minseok! Minseok! It’s freaking Park Chanyeol, oh god, he’s so hot –‘ and maybe Minseok drowned everything out until class started. 


He doesn’t forget to give her a smile and a nod every time she looks over to say more about ‘how perfect it was’.


If Hanie was not drowning in happy feelings right then, she could have seen the dead eyes of her best friend. 









Minseok gets over Hanie really fast for a first. He doesn’t know why exactly but he just woke up one day and gave her one sincere smile that he hasn’t showed her for at least 7 months.


Hanie has been really concerned about her best friend’s behavior but Minseok’s insistence might have done the work because after 3 months of continuous pestering of questions she finally huffs and says “Just tell me when you’re ready, okay?” and Minseok nodded giving her a smile that doesn’t really reach his eyes.


At that time, Chanyeol was trying to get back on Hanie’s good side. They weren’t together yet because of some incidents and being soulmates doesn’t really mean you have to be together right away. 


You still have to have your other half’s permission and acceptance to be together, just like any other commitments. 


Minseok didn’t really budge to his sad phase when the incident happened because he was sure Hanie still has feelings for that big dork even if she insists ‘he’s going to special hell, I swear to Hades’. He’s sure he hears her taking it back seconds after when she thinks Minseok’s headphones are playing music. It’s not.


Hanie was the first girl that has Minseok’s interest pike. But she definitely wasn’t the last.









A year after the best friend incident, a junior transfers in their school. Unlike Hanie’s ninja ways to Minseok’s heart, Seulgi was like a toddler who’s taking her first clumsy steps.


Minseok didn’t take notice of her until she had her first fall. 


That first fall was her bumping into Minseok in the hallway and spilling her juice drink on his clean and pristine shirt. She apologized profusely and tried wiping the shirt with her own hands which Minseok stopped with his soft ones and a soft smile. 


Seulgi was red. 


That was her taking a step.


They got together around three months after their first date. Minseok had a really good time with Seulgi in that period until her secret spills out.


“I already know my soulmate, actually.” Minseok stops half-way on eating his ice cream and looks at Seulgi, an unreadable expression on his face.


People who date means they haven’t gotten their soulmate’s name yet. Minseok thinks it’s another unspoken rule. Rules are made to be broken at some way. He stops the sigh that attempted to be let out.


Seulgi wasn’t really proud about this secret so she resorts to hang her head in a bow. “I’m sorry for keeping it a secret,” she says in a small voice.


She was vulnerable and Minseok doesn’t have the heart to be angry at her. “I – I wasn’t really sure about how I felt about my soulmate so I went with this.” She looks up at him, alarmed as if she said something bad. She did but she continues. “But I really did like you, oppa! Really, I did! You’re an amazing person and you’re not hard to like” she smiles at him but she looks down after, sighing. 


Minseok just smiled and ruffled her hair, saying that it was fine. 
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter