The Receipt

The Diner

"Please give her your number." Kyungsoo creeps on Sooyoung from behind —she prefers to say from below but Kyungsoo gets super mean when his pride gets torn down.

 

"Please give who my what?" Sooyoung pretends she doesn't understand what Kyungsoo is saying. She can't be that obvious, right?

 

"Don't act like an idiot. You already are one." Yep. Kyungsoo is just mean.

 

"Look. I'm technically your boss. I can fire you for inappropriate behavior at work. And everyone will think you're a straight ert." Sooyoung threatens.

 

Kyungsoo snorts. "Sure. Fire me and you have to ring up orders, deliver orders, and clean desks and floor. I'd like to watch you do all that. In fact, I will personally come here everyday and watch you do all that."

 

He's got a really good point. God. Sooyoung hates him.

 

"If you are so smart why don't you tell me what to do?" Sooyoung sulks.

 

"God. Sooyoung. I really thought you were smart." Sooyoung rants about how she is a genius for a good 35 seconds until Kyungsoo cuts her again abruptly. "I just told you to give her your number."

 

Sooyoung turns silent. Her face is serious. She's making scenarios in her head. Kyungsoo is right and she needs to make this perfect. She needs this number giving moment to be perfect.

 

Kyungsoo looks like he regrets talking to Sooyoung. "Look. I have to go. Wipe some desk. Or something." Kyungsoo leaves a really scheme-y Sooyoung alone. He thinks he shouldn't be near her.

 

*

 

Sooyoung's scheme turns out to be none other than the oldest trick in the book: writing her number on Seulgi's receipt. Sooyoung is relieved the rest of the group have another double date the week after, so she doesn't have to handle Jinri or Sehun finding out and teasing Seulgi about it. She doesn't really care if they anyway, their voices just sound like white noise to Sooyoung.

 

Seulgi's voice when she calls Sooyoung's phone from the booth a few minutes after Seulgi notices the carefully written numbers in her receipt, though, is the opposite of white noise.

 

"Hello? Whose number is this?" Seulgi's phone voice is really sultry. Sooyoung thinks Seulgi can definitely make money out of it.

 

"What do you mean whose number is this?" Sooyoung answers playfully.

 

"Uh. You just wrote your number? I didn't find a name." Seulgi looks up from her table and finds Sooyoung's eyes. "You can just give me your number like a normal person, you know." She teases.

 

Sooyoung snorts. "You think I'm normal? I'm nothing like normal person. I'm special."

 

"Sure, special receipt girl. I didn't get the memo that this is the year 1980 and we have to be careful when going out because if we're found out people will burn us at stake."

 

"Going out?"

 

A pause.

 

"No phone calls during work." Kyungsoo whispers at Sooyoung's ears, so close and so sudden it catches Sooyoung off guard, causing her phone to fall on the ground.

 

"You- I'm gonna- you." Sooyoung is still blushing from Seulgi's "going out" thing but she can pretend her face is red from anger.

 

"You're gonna me? Thanks, but I have a boyfriend." Kyungsoo smirks. Okay. Sooyoung doesn't have to pretend to be angry anymore because she is actually angry right now. This guy is a jerk.

 

Kyungsoo beats Sooyoung from getting her phone from the floor, looks at it for a bit, and hands it to Sooyoung. "I see you gave her your number."

 

How does he kn- "Oh." Sooyoung finds a new message in her phone.

 

 

What time does your shift end?

-Seulgi

 

 

"I hope to god you didn't write your number on a receipt and gave it to her just like that. That'd be so tacky." Kyungsoo sneers.

 

"Dude." Sooyoung is too happy to get mad. "Shut the up." She smiles.

 

*

 

Sooyoung asks (begs) Chanyeol and Kyungsoo to let her get off work early and not help them closing the cafe. Chanyeol is supportive and overly excited about her and Seulgi's development and Kyungsoo threatens to snitch to Sooyoung's mom if she doesn't treat him a meal for being an "excellent wingman". Sooyoung leaves the cafe while yelling out a "Whatever you want!"

 

Leaning on the street light, Seulgi looks ethereal basking in the dim light. Sooyoung stops in her tracks halfway from the cafe's front door to the street light just to take in how absolutely gorgeous Seulgi is.

 

Seulgi catches Sooyoung standing there looking at her. "There you are." She says as she walks to Sooyoung.

 

"Here I am." The pink creeps on Sooyoung's face, but it's alright. It's dark and Seulgi can't probably see it. It doesn't really matter if Seulgi sees, anyway.

 

"Wanna walk to the station with me?" Seulgi offers her hand at Sooyoung.

 

Sooyoung doesn't even wait for a second. She immediately grabs Seulgi's hand and blurts a "Hell yeah."

 

Seulgi giggles and Sooyoung intertwines their fingers perfectly. It feels nice. They sway their hands back and forth while talking about their route home. Sooyoung sulks because her stop is too close from the station and Seulgi just laughs and squeezes her hand.

 

Their hands separate when they enter the station but Seulgi's hand immediately ghosts over Sooyoung's arm after they pass the tap machine. Sooyoung doesn't waste any second and take Seulgi's hand right away.

 

The train is practically empty so they both get seats next to each other, hands still glued to each other's. Seulgi teases Sooyoung about the receipt and Sooyoung sulks about how Kyungsoo told her it was tacky. Sooyoung also begs Seulgi to not tell the rest of the group about it and Seulgi apologizes because she already took a picture of the receipt and uploaded it in their chat group. Seulgi shows Sooyoung the unbearable responses from the group and Sooyoung thinks she should quit the job.

 

They chat and laugh the entire ride and suddenly it's Sooyoung's stop.

 

A long sigh comes out from Sooyoung's mouth. "I guess this is where we part." She reluctantly releases her hand from Seulgi's and stands up. "See you soon?"

 

Seulgi smiles and nods, then Sooyoung walks to the front of the train door.

 

Just as the door opens, Sooyoung feels a tap on her left shoulder. She looks to the left and gets a love poke.

 

Except instead of forefinger, it is a pair of wet lips.

 

Seulgi's wet lips.

 

Sooyoung's eyes widen and Seulgi just stands there, looking satisfied.

 

"The door is closing soon." Seulgi pushes Sooyoung until she steps off the train and the door closes, then wets her lips with her tongue and winks through the glass door.

 

Sooyoung's knees go weak.

 

Seulgi is a monster.

 

*