A Late Stand

Secrets Of The Enchanted

  The king was in the middle of telling the head chef of how he needed the fruit punch to be silver glitter instead of plain purple when a maid rushed in,interrupting the talk.

"Your highness," she gasped,bowing low."Princess Ryeowook has requested your presence.She is waiting  for you in the throne room."

"Aish,what does she want now?"King Kim shook his head in annoyance.It had taken a lot of unneccessary trouble to agree to the ball-even then,she had demanded frivolous things too,which was why he was talking to the head chef now,just for her.He mentally smacked himself.The things he would do for his only daughter...

"She said only to visit her."The maid bowed again,her black bun shifting on her head.She wore a uniform and was plump in size,almost reminding him of an overgrown turkey.

He nodded and waved her away as he turned to Mr Soo."I'm afraid you'll have to excuse me...Ryeowook has something to say.In the meantime,I want you to find a way  to change the colour of the fruit punch.I simply cannot have it look purple."

"But your Highness!"Mr Soo looked horrified."It is impossible to change the colour of the punch.Even if we can find a silver glitter food colouring,it is most likely that the colouring will make it taste simply disgusting!I advise your Highness to change Princess Ryeowook's mind and rethink the choi-"

"Mr Soo,"the king said calmly."I am the King here,and my decision is final.Make the fruit punch silver glitter or you'll be fired."

The head chef stared blankly at him,before nodding reluctantly."Of course,your Highness.I'll do my best."

With a curt bow and a sashay,he left the room without a without a word,and the fishy smell he always carried wafted away too.

The king wrinkled his nose in disdain.It was all he could do to restraint himself for telling the chef he needed to be soaked in a rose-and-lavendar petal bath for three days.Turning on his heel,he began to walk briskly to the throne room where his daughter was waiting.

 ###

"It's no use,Henry!Father is always exceptionally deaf when it comes to saying no for the ball."Princess Ryeowook kneeled down on the marble floor in her room,tickling the tabby kitten.Henry was a good-natured fellow,and he purred loudly in contentment to show it.

This went on for a few seconds as she debated the masquerade ball.What crazy idea her father's advisors had cooked up was beyond disbelief.How was she to find her "husband" if she couldn't even see his face?

Before the annoucement,she had already thought of them being slightly on the loony side.After the announcement,she had no doubt that they were definitely in Crazy Country.How did her dear father choose his advisors,she didn't want to find out.For all she knew,he could already pre-ordered them at Normalcy Deficient Advisor factory and have them shipped in wooden boxes decorated with rainbow unicorn stickers.

A loud kock on the door sounded.Five knocks in a row,in fact.

Aha.

That meant Henry was here.

Human Henry,to be exact.Not tabby Henry.She got up  and walked gracefully to open the one of the double polished oak doors,and was greeted with Henry's mega-watt happy grin coupled by cardboard boxes that were up to his chin.

"Hey Wookie!"He said cheerfully."I have packages for you from the princes around here.There's bigger ones next to the staircase,but I thought I'd bring up a few for you."

Ryeowook rolled her eyes."Father actually told them the wishlist?Goodness,he actually believes I want all that?"

A few days ago,she had told her father she wanted certain "things" as one of her must-be-fulfilled-or-the-ball-is-off demands for agreeing to the ball,and so far her "demands" weren't working.Heck,they were there to put her beloved father off the ball,and so far he managed to fulfill every one of them.

Except for the silver glitter punch.She wasn't counting heavily on it though.Her father would manage it too somehow,and then she would have to attend her doom and marry it with a big fake smile.

"Aw,cheer up Wookie!"Henry plopped himself on the ornate chair next to her and held up a giraffe plushie."At least you have this cutie here.He seems so lo-ne-ly and needs a hug!"

He ed the giraffe plushie into her face earning a squeal from her.

"Eek!HENRY,GET IT OFF MY FACE!"

"But it's just a little giraffe plushie~" Henry replied almost sadly,pulling a face.

He got a playful smack on the shoulder two seconds later.

"You know a princess should not be treated this way!"

"Oh,I don't know,you aren't exactly behaving like one,"Henry mischievously grinned.

Her father and Henry's had got on really well before he became king and Henry's father a noble.Partly she was comfortable with him because of the connection,and partly that they knew and liked each other when they were young,wild and free.

She liked being free.

"By the way,aren't you going to open these packages they sent you?"Henry held up the rest of the cardboard boxes.

"You know what?Leave them as they be.I'll send them back later.Right now I'm going to see my father and tell him how I want all of this to stop.I don't want to simply find a partner through a silly masquerade ball-how can one even find a husband in this way anyway?It's just virtually unbelievable.He will expect me to choose a partner in just one night..."She threw her hands up in the air in frustration."Honestly,truly honestly,I cannot believe the situation!"

Both Henrys,cat and human,sighed in unison."I'll go ask a maid to get your father to meet you in the throne room."

 

# 5 minutes later... #

"I THOUGHT WE ALREADY TALKED ABOUT THIS!"King Kim thundered."YOU AGREED TO HOST THE BALL,AND NOW YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND?"

"Look Father,I'm sorry but I do not want a ball to decide my future!In fact,I don't know why you keep listening to your advisors.They simply fail at their jobs to advise and don't know anything besides smiling and drinking their heads off.Please,call off the masquerade ball!"Ryeowook pleaded.

"It is very clear to me that you don't appreciate my efforts.I have tried to help you in every way I could,including unneccessary touches like that fruit punch issue,"he snorted."Where have you gotten that idea from?In fairy tales?"

"Father,I promise I'll do anything you say,just call thi-"

"No,Ryeowook.It is final.It is too late to change anything,and I have sent invitations to the young lords,nobles and princes,and they are preparing to come for your hand."He set his jaw in a determined lock."I didn't expect you to behave this immature.You should know more than to suddenly barge in when everything is about ready and complain to me like this.As a result,I'll have to send you to your room and you will stay there till five o' clock,when you will meet Miss Carloi in the fitting room."

"But-"

"No more buts.You've disgraced me enough this afternoon.Go to your room.NOW."

Ryeowook could only roll her eyes and resign to her fate.