Rainy Day

Sunshine

(rain, rain

go away

little jongdae

wants to play)

 

The girl who loved Kim Jongdae

 

She first met him on a rainy day.

 

She found him crouched under the shade of a tree.

 

He was crying.

 

 

 

"Hey there, are you okay?" She asked softly.

He turned to the other side. "Shut up! Go away!"  

“That was rude!” She glared and hit him lightly on the head.

He groaned and glared back. "Yah! Why did you hit me?!"

 "Because you were being rude!" She scoffed and crossed her arms.

He scowled. "And you're being a nosy body!"

"I was just worried that a little boy was crying here all alone!" She retorted back.

"I AM NOT A LITTLE BOY! AND. I. AM. NOT.  –sniff- CRYING!"

 

 

 

Sobs.

 

Sniffles.

 

Hiccups.

 

Shuffles.

 

 

 

She crouched down beside him. “Sorry.” She whispered softly.

He turned away from her direction, evading her gaze and hiding the tears that wouldn’t stop.

She adjusted her umbrella to cover both of them. “You’ll get a cold.”

He ignored her.

She rummaged into one of her skirt’s pockets and handed him a white handkerchief. “Here.”

He stared at it from the corner of his eyes before turning his back on him. “I’m not crying.”

She smiled. “Then you’re not.”

His eyes widened, and he slowly turned to look at her.

Her hand still holding out the handkerchief towards him. “Those are the sky’s tears, aren’t they?”

He stared fully at her, confusion evident on his face. “..what?”

She grinned, and took the chance to wipe the droplets of water cascading down his chubby face. “The sky is crying right now so he must be sad. You must’ve been out in the open when he started crying. You can feel his sadness, right?”

He resisted at first, but then she felt the warmth radiating just from her hand, and allowed her to wipe the tears- no, droplets of water – from his face.

She smiled as she continued wiping his face gently. “But did you know?”

He tilted his head. "..what?”

“When the sky runs out of tears, all the sadness is gone. After that, happiness would appear.” She beamed at him.

He looked at her, puzzled. “Happiness?”

 She nodded. “Yes, happiness… look! It’s coming!” She stopped wiping his face and pointed to the sky, the handkerchief tightly grasped in her palm.

His eyes turned skywards. The brown pair widened as the clouds parted, the rays of sunshine illuminating the once dull surroundings. Slowly, a smiled started forming in his mouth.

She nodded in satisfaction at the sight of the growing smile.

 

 

 

Smile.

 

Grin.

 

Laugh.

 

"Look, there’s a rainbow too!"

 

"Wow! Daebak!"

 

 

 

 

“I’m Han Hyo-Jin.” She stretched her hand out, palm up, the creased handkerchief lying on her palm.

He stretched out his hand, laying it on hers for a moment.

 

“Kim Jongdae.”

 

And he took the handkerchief.

 

 

 

Happiness.

 

Joy.

 

Wonder.

 

(love?)