Chapter 7

Are You Real?

Taemin had taken to spending most of his time out of the house now, and at work. Even on days Taemin wasn't scheduled any shifts, he still packed his uniform in his bag and told his mother he was leaving. As he planned, she didn't suspect a thing. She hugged him at the door and cooed over how responsible he was becoming and how proud she was of his maturity. 'Maturity my ' was all he thought as he slammed the door and left the estate.

He hadn't made many good friends at work but he was on good terms with the employees that he knew so they didn't think anything when he hooked up his game system in the breakroom offering a 'my mom doesn't really let me play at home' as an explanation. His boss had actually acknowledged his struggles, reminiscing about days when his mom had done the same thing to him, and he encouraged Taemin to play as much as he needed to as long as he didn't slack off when he was actually scheduled for shifts. Taemin had been gracious in his thanks and no sooner than they'd finished their conversation, he'd logged in immediately, ripping his character out of bed and running back to the Fourth Worlds to find Sandy.

As soon as he'd entered Paradise Planet, he'd seen Sandy running his way, waving at him to get his attention. He immediately ran towards her and began apologizing profusely for his absence and trying to explain why he hadn't been active in the game but she waved him off.

"There's no time for that, we have to go see Kibum and Jonghyun. I told them I'd meet with them days ago but then you stopped signing in. I had to wait for you so I kept postponing our meeting and I know the two of them are getting anxious...or at least Kibum is. Jonghyun is a task we'll need to convince. But we have to go now, okay?" He nodded dumbly and they made their way to Jonghyun and Kibum's shared apartment. When they got there, Sandy knocked a few times hollering out to them inside. They figured Jonghyun would be more likely to open the door if he thought it was only Sandy outside. Taemin braced himself for the impact of their reactions when they opened the door.

Thus he was surprised to find a tired looking Jonghyun open the door and wave them inside, not even seeming surprised in the slightest to see Taemin for the first time in a year. Sandy walked inside, urging Taemin to follow her who cautiously kept behind her as he entered the apartment. Jonghyun led the pair over to the couch where Kibum was already sitting, the latter shifting over to make room for the two others as Jonghyun sat on the sofa chair across from them.

Jonghyun looked more or less the same since the last time Taemin had seen him. His hair was still white, albeit toned down to a more silvery tone - a break from the shocking white Taemin remembered. His hair had also grown out a bit, falling shaggy from his previously shaven bowl cut. He looked otherwise the same, maybe just a little aged. Taemin thought back to his first meeting with Jonghyun and how different he looked now with just a year hanging over them. Jonghyun was nearing only twenty three but he looked like he'd seen better days. Taemin had been thinking so hard that he'd jolted a little in surprise when Jonghyun actually spoke to him, Sandy's hand coming down to soothingly pat his thigh.

"Kibum had said you were back."

"Y-yeah, I am..." Taemin meekly replied. He'd had such a good relationship with this man before. He'd shared his apartment, laughed with him, joked with him, listened to his stories, hell, he'd listened to the man's compositions before; something Jonghyun rarely shared with anyone. And now, even though Jonghyun was sitting a mere foot away from him, he seemed worlds away. Taemin had been so caught up in his feelings for Kibum that he'd nearly forgotten how much he'd really missed Jonghyun, too.

"Don't be scared, Taemin, I'm not gonna bite you."

"That counters our last meeting." Jonghyun's lips set in a hard line and Taemin almost regret saying those words, but Jonghyun just sighed and ran a hand through his bleached locks of hair.

"I know, man, and I'm sorry. Kibum's spent the last year ing about how I drove you away, anyway. I'm really sorry, dude." Taemin nodded in acknowledgment, so Jonghyun turned his attention to Sandy. "I trust you two came here for more than apologies?" Sandy neatly folded her hands across her lap and gazed up at Jonghyun with a glint in her eye.

"We're here to talk about the Tenth level."

***

It was exhausting, explaining everything. Taemin had to help Sandy summarize nearly everything he knew about the game; a year's worth of experience jammed into a few hours' worth of explanations. He was tired afterwords, his brain throbbing with the beginnings of a headache, but Jonghyun seemed to fully understand the situation even more so than Kibum did the first time Taemin explained it to him.

"So, for Taemin to meet us for real, he has to unlock the virtual reality feature on the Tenth level...but he's only on the Fifth, so he needs us to help him level up?" Jonghyun asked, scratching the back of his head.

"Precisely." Sandy said from her seat on the couch. Even Sandy, usually pristine and perfectly put together, was wilting under the efforts of sharing her entire life's worth of knowledge. Her ponytail was sagging and her eyes dropped as she fought fatigue. It was nearing early morning now and none of them had moved from the living room except to cross the few steps to the kitchen for food and water and occasional trips to the bathroom.

Taemin was just glad everything was out in the open. He was just so happy that he didn't have to hide anything from Kibum or Jonghyun anymore; he felt a sense of freedom that he'd never felt with the two of them. He glanced over at where Kibum was curled up on the couch, his arms cross over his chest, hands stuffed into his armpits to keep warm, and his head lolling on the armrest of the couch. Jonghyun stood up and groaned, stretching his taut muscles and cracking his back as he relaxed his body from its previously stiff position. He began making his way over to his room, yawning, much to Taemin's surprise, so he chanced his luck.

"Hyung?" Jonghyun looked back over his shoulder to Taemin; sitting on the couch on the other end from Kibum, Sandy still between them. His hair was dishevelled and his eyes were drooping, heavy with sleep. He scrunched his nose up and stared up at Jonghyun as though waiting for him to answer.

"What's up, kiddo?" Jonghyun smiled warmly at him and Taemin felt his heart swell. They were on good terms again, finally.

"Are you going to bed?"

"Yeah, I have work tomorrow. Sandy knows her way out." As if on cue, she stood up, ruffling Taemin's hair as she bid him farewell. She nodded to Jonghyun and Kibum before leaving the apartment, closing the door softly behind her. Taemin awkwardly twiddled his thumbs before he too, rose. He could feel the pair's eyes on him as he traced Sandy's footsteps to the door.

"Well I guess I should be goi-"

"Where are you going?" Taemin's hand stilled on the doorknob. He looked over at Jonghyun, the latter's question hanging heavily in the air. Taemin knew without looking that Kibum was watching him as well, the same question lingering on his lips.

"I got an apartment..on the Fifth level..." Jonghyun blinked at him, obviously not expecting this answer, "I didn't have anywhere to go, so..." He trailed off as he watched his hyung's eyes soften. Jonghyun's eyes crinkled at the corners as his mouth turned upwards in a slight smile.

"You wanna stay here for the night? You're welcome to." Taemin felt like his heart was going to drop through his stomach. His eyes were near b with tears, his watery vision distorting Jonghyun's image in front of him.

"Y-yeah," Taemin hiccupped out, "I would." Kibum smiled at him from the couch, standing up himself to stretch.

"We cleaned out your old bedroom, but if Kibum wouldn't mind...?" Jonghyun gestured to Kibum who nodded fondly. "Good. I'll be heading in first then, goodnight you two." Jonghyun called as he disappeared into his own room at the end of the hall. Kibum walked over and threw an arm around Taemin's shoulder.

"C'mon. Sleep with me, tonight." Taemin's heart thudded in his chest as Kibum guided them back to his room. He knew Kibum had meant that in the most innocent way possible, but Taemin's feelings for Kibum were still growing and were getting stronger every time he saw him. Sleeping next to him for the whole night might prove to be a task in itself.

As Kibum walked into his bedroom, he yawned, pulling his shirt over his head and tossing it into a pile of laundry in a basket next to his bed. He slipped on a plain white t-shirt and kicked off his jeans, tugging on some sweats before glancing at Taemin, still hovering awkwardly in the doorway. He quirked a brow, waving at Taemin to get his attention. "Are you gonna stand there all night or come in?" Taemin shuffled from foot to foot glancing everywhere but directly at Kibum.

"It's just weird I guess."

"What's weird?" Kibum asked, turning to his mirror and grabbing a hair elastic and brush from a glass bowl on his dresser.

"Being back." Kibum stilled before continuing brushing his hair and tugging it into an apple hairstyle, securing it with the hair elastic. He reached for his old red glasses, plopping them on his nose bridge and turned to face Taemin.

"Ta-da! It's the old me. Does it feel weird now? It's like old times, you loser." He chuckled at Taemin who only managed a faint smile back. Once Kibum's giggling had died down, he removed the glasses, placing them back on the dresser. "I don't even need these anymore. A few months after you left I got lasix eye surgery done; I even paid for it myself because I finally have a job now, y'know? Not just mooching off Jonghyun anymore. I guess turning nineteen changed me or something, and now I'm already almost twenty." Taemin listened as Kibum rambled. "A lot's changed since you left but I guess it still feels the same in a way. When you came back, somehow it felt like you'd never even left." Taemin nodded, he understood the feeling.

"I guess it just feels weird seeing you look so different even though in my dimension I haven't been gone that long. It was only a few weeks for me, Kibum, but almost an entire year passed for you. I'm so sorry. I wasn't here for you." Taemin's voice cracked and wobbled as he struggled to finish his sentence. Kibum watched him with pained eyes, motioning for Taemin to come sit next to him on the bed. Taemin walked over, plopping himself down into Kibum's arms, resting his head against the elder's shoulder.

Taemin sighed, looking around him. There was no one in the breakroom to hear and see him get teary over a game but he was all too aware of his surroundings. He was too aware of the harsh fluorescents and the hard chair he was sitting in. He ached to be in the place of his character; cuddled up to Kibum in Kibum's bed, pressed against the older boy's body. Taemin shook his head to fight back the blush threatening to work its way up his neck to his ears and re-focused on the game.

Kibum was currently combing his fingers through Taemin's hair and whispering to him about how it'd all be alright and things would work themselves out eventually. Taemin turned to shift so he was facing Kibum and reached down to grip his hands.

"I don't know if things are going to be alright." Taemin whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"I want this to work, I want to make it to the virtual reality level and I want to meet you but Kibum, I really don't know if that's what's going to happen. I'm new to this whole game, you know? I don't know for sure we can meet...how? How can that happen? This is a game, this isn't even real." Taemin frustratedly threw Kibum's hands down, tears flowing freely now. Taemin's character perfectly mimicked the very real tears streaming down Taemin's face as he sat pathetically in the employee breakroom of a froyo shop instead of being curled around Kibum's strong body where he felt his true home was.

Kibum looked hurt but he set his jaw tight and reached over to grab Taemin's hands again, forcing Taemin to look up at him. He smiled gently at the younger boy. "This is going to work, Taemin. We just have to believe it will. We've come this far already, we're halfway there. Halfway, Taemin, that's a lot of progress. Are you really going to give up on me just because we haven't made it there yet?" Taemin clenched his eyes shut, trying his best to help the tears subside to no avail. He was trembling in Kibum's arms, fat, salty tears rolling down his cheeks, soaking into his skin. He knew Kibum was right but he still felt so far away from the other boy. He was so close but so far. He was so frustrated.

"Kibum, I just don't know what to do. I want to be with you now but I'm not and I can't help it and I can't stop crying." Taemin put a hand over his mouth to quell his sobs as Kibum pulled him close and he buried his face into his hyung's shoulder. Only a few weeks had passed for Taemin and he still felt like his immature self but eleven months had changed Kibum; his shoulders were broader, a safe place for Taemin to rest. His arms seemed stronger as they reached around to squeeze Taemin gently, rubbing his back in comforting, soothing motions. His voice seemed deeper and more mature as it glided through the silence between them.

"It'll be okay, Taemin. I'm not giving up on you. So don't give up on me...on us." Taemin felt his heartbeat quicken as Kibum pulled back slightly. He watched in horror from the other side of the screen as Kibum leaned in toward his character. Frustration and loneliness chorused through his body as Kibum reached out to grip Taemin's character's hands as he leaned in. Taemin couldn't take it and he yanked his character away from Kibum before their lips met.

"Kibum, don't." Taemin sniffled. Kibum drew back, surprised obviously, but confusion predominantly etched on his face.

"What's...the matter? Did I read the signs wrong? I'm sorry, is it because this feels weird? Should I have waited?" Taemin shook his head sullenly, eyes cast downwards to avoid Kibum's gaze. "Then what is it?"

"I wouldn't feel it." Taemin mumbled into his chest, twiddling his thumbs uselessly.

"What? Tae, I couldn't hear-" Taemin ripped his head upward, eyes wet with tears as he fiercely whispered.

"I wouldn't feel it, okay? Kibum this isn't me, this is my character. You can love this body all you want but it's not me, I wouldn't feel anything. I've never held your hand or hugged you, I've never felt your presence ever, and I certainly wouldn't feel it if you kissed me," he sobbed, "believe me, I want to, I've wanted to since I met you, but I can't." Kibum leaned forward and enveloped him into a warm hug, softly carding his hands through his hair.

"I'm so sorry, Taemin. I care about you so much, you know? I don't know how to make it better but I'm in this with you for the long run. Until the Tenth level. I promise." Taemin nodded numbly into his chest, holding on for a few more minutes until Kibum let go. The two crawled into bed, backs firmly pressed against each other for comfort, breathing evenly until Kibum fell asleep.

Once Taemin was sure Kibum was sleeping, he reached over pressing his lips lightly to the side of Kibum's own mouth. Kibum's breath hitched slightly in his sleep before evening out again. Taemin's character shifted back on his side, a faint red around his ears as he too, fell asleep.

From the breakroom, Taemin quietly logged out and removed his headset. He buried his head in his arms with a heavy heart and felt his own lips stinging, aching to feel Kibum's lips against them for real.

 


Hey guys, LifeisSHINee here! So I decided to double update even though this chapter is really short. I really dislike updating when my chapters are short because I feel like I haven't made much progress, but I wanted to post this to show the re-introduction of Jonghyun's character and how Taekey are becoming more romantically involved. I also wanted to show Taemin's struggle in his real life and how he's slowly becoming more detached from the real world around him and how he's becoming more attached to the virtual world with Kibum in it. I hope to update more frequently but as always I write whenever I'm in the mood to sit down and crank out a few thousand words which doesn't happen often, but I really want to get this fic finished in a timely manner because I have another fic I want to work on that I've wanted to write for almost the entirety of this fic. But that's another story (literally) for another time. I hope to wrap this fic up in another 5 chapters or so, but we'll see. Anyways, as usual, I hope you're all well and until next time, take care!