1/1

I'm Still Here

 

Jongin quickly ran across the hallway, huffing along the way as he let out breathy puffs of laughter at the voice yelling at him from behind.  Their shoes slap loudly against the marble floor as they zoom past classrooms with teachers and students unsuspecting of the ruckus outside.

 

“Yah Kim Jongin! Stop right there!” The boy’s voice was breathy and starting to crack, showing that he was tiring out. Jongin decided this was a good as enough time to give him a break. He slowed down just enough so the boy could catch up.  He smiled when he felt a hand grab the back of his collar.

 

What he didn’t expect was for that hand to tug him back hard enough to fall down onto his .

 

“You …are...in so much...trouble,” the boy said panting, face red and hair in a mess as he pointed accusingly at the boy on the floor. Jongin just smiles wider.

 

“But Kyungsoo, don’t you love chasing me?” he asks, trying to look cute.

 

The boy, Kyungsoo, just stared down at him with an incredulous look.  They both stared at each other for a few silent minutes with Jongin looking more sheepish by the minute. 

 

“If you seriously think I enjoy even one second of chasing your stinkin’ down these hallways, you are the most insane…most irritating piece of-“

 

“Mr. Do.”

 

“-loveliness that cannot be contained in such a small body,” Kyungsoo said with a strained smile as he turned to the man tapping his foot behind him.

 

“I hope this hall monitor job isn’t too much for you to handle, Mr. Do. It seems you have a bit of a problem?” The principal asked, looking down at Jongin with an amused smile.

 

“No! No problem here, sir. I can handle anything that’s thrown at me!” Kyungsoo said, back straightening up, and his eyes looking determinedly ahead of him. Jongin resisted the urge to smile.  He winces when he feels Kyungsoo nudge him harshly with his foot to get up. He sighs and gets off his .

 

“Really? Because it seems someone loves to not attend their classes just so they can bug this one hall monitor,” the principal then says, his attention focusing on Jongin.

 

“This really won’t happen again sir. Please don’t fire me!” Kyungsoo said, clasping his little hands together in front of him. Jongin almost feels sorry for messing with him.

 

“Well! Mr. Do, Principal Park, I really should get going to that class I skipped-I mean am late to, so…” Jongin trailed off, scratching his skinny arm awkwardly before running away down the hall. Kyungsoo clenched his fist and was about to give chase when the principal put a hand on his shoulder, stopping him.

 

“Let him be,” the principal said.

 

“W-what? But I didn’t even give him his detention slip! Do you know how long I been chasing him for?” Kyungsoo said, face turning red again but this time not from exertion.

 

“Kyungsoo, you do know why he loves wandering the halls during his class hours don’t you?”

 

“No! I really don’t! That little jerk just wants to see me run. He made fun of my belly in gym period last year,” Kyungsoo huffs as he crosses his arms in irritation.  Principal Park lets out a bark of laughter.

 

“I assure you, Jongin means no harm. But if you really want him to stop, all you have to do is stop giving him the pleasure of you chasing him.”

 

.

 

The next day, Jongin wandered leisurely down the hallway as the bell rang and kids started rushing to their morning class. He whistled as he looked up and down the halls for his favorite hall monitor. Usually Kyungsoo would’ve spotted him by now and would give him the usual ‘Kim Jongin, why aren’t you in class?’ and Jongin would a bit before the chase started.

 

But he wandered for a while already and Kyungsoo still didn’t show. Was he sick today? No Jongin definitely saw him this morning. He would spot him anywhere.

 

“Just make sure you’re not late again. You only get one warning.” Jongin smiled at the voice and practically skipped towards where Kyungsoo was.

 

He was handing a pass to some random tall kid as the boy thanked Kyungsoo and headed off to class.

 

“He gets a warning but I get a full on chase, what gives?” Jongin jokes. He frowns when Kyungsoo doesn’t even turn around to acknowledge him.

 

“So, aren’t you going to interrogate me? Give me the ‘you’re the most annoying person ever, Kim Jongin!’ speech?” Jongin prods. Kyungsoo sighs and turns around finally. Jongin stares directly into Kyungsoo’s eyes as they stood at the same level.

 

“Jongin, I don’t know why you enjoy making my job so hard. I don’t know why you enjoy teasing me about my stomach fat or make fun of the way my eyes squint when I forget my glasses or how it’s so hard to chase you when you run down the halls.”

Jongin gulps.

“But all I know is that I’m tired of it. I just want to do my job properly and I want you to stop bothering me because I’m gonna stop bothering with you. Go to class. Or don’t. I don’t care anymore.”

 

Jongin was stunned speechless as Kyungsoo just turns to walk away. This was actually the most Kyungsoo has ever spoken to him, even more then the time Kyungsoo was actually nice to him on the first day of elementary school. But he can clarify it is mostly his fault Kyungsoo wasn’t nice to him anymore. He had wanted the older boy to talk to him with more than 5 words but this wasn’t how he had planned their conversation to go.

 

Dejectedly, Jongin picked up his backpack and decided, what the heck, he should at least go to class where he could be distracted and not have his heart hurt as much.


“Jongin, I swear! If I have to see your face one more time in here…”

 

Jongin just smiles wider as he throws more chips into his mouth. “Then tell my teachers to stop giving me detention slips!”

 

Kyungsoo bites back a ‘then stop being an irritating brat’ comment before just deciding it’s better to just let this one go. He sighs as he leans back and opens up his book, making sure to ignore Kim Jongin completely for one full hour. To think he had to go through this again the next week.

 

“Hey Kyungsoo, remember middle school?” Jongin grins cheekily as he flutters his eyelashes mockingly at the grumpy detention monitor sitting across from him.

 

“I’d rather not,” Kyungsoo grits out as he barely looks up from his book.

 

“I do. Fun times.”

 

“If you think I had even the smallest ounce of fun in that then you’re mistaken.”

 

“I know, I was talking about myself.” Kyungsoo grips the ends of his book tighter as he resists the urge to chuck the book at stupid Kim Jongin and his stupid goofy face and stupid words that come out of his stupid mouth.

 

He thought middle school would be the last he would see of the younger boy as he went to a high school considerably far from where Jongin lived. But to his surprise when he was stocking up books in the library to see Kim Jongin sitting right there, at the table right in the middle of the room just staring at him with this dumb look on his face.

 

Jongin has changed a lot since he last saw him in middle school. No longer was he the scrawny little boy with noodle arms who was at the same height as him. He now actually fits nicely in all his clothes, grew out his brown hair, and his height definitely shot up sometime between then.

 

But he was still the annoying brat he left behind years ago. If he had known the previous year would be the last year he would be Jongin-free he would’ve cherished it a bit more.

 

Another thing Kyungsoo felt bitter about was whereas Jongin grew leaner and taller, Kyungsoo stayed small, with narrow shoulders and petite figure, something Jongin shoves in his face at every chance he gets. He would stand immensely close to the older boy as he shelved books, and breathe down his neck, causing the ends of his hair to stand up. When he would have to tippy-toe to grab a book on the higher shelves, Jongin would irritatingly reach up and grab it for him with a smug grin.

 

Jongin would also never stop talking. Kyungsoo could not remember a time where Jongin was quiet even though he knows the younger boy was the shyest kid in school once upon a time.

 

“Hey Kyungsoo-hyung did you check out this new comic?”

 

“How long do you do this for? It’s so boring…”

 

“I’m hungry. What time do you end? Let’s go grab something to eat!”

 

Kyungsoo quit his job as library monitor soon after as Jongin ruined the reason he even volunteered in the first place (which was to spend time in silence.)

 

He then got a job as a detention monitor, being promised to not even have to do anything except sit in a classroom for an hour and making sure no one leaves until their time was up. Kyungsoo saw it as a good of a job as any and took it gratefully. He could get some reading and homework done in that time and also get work-study payment.

 

But to his utmost aggravation, Kim Jongin somehow ended up in his detention room every other week.

 

He was surprised the boy wasn’t suspended yet with all the detention slips he gathered. Wouldn’t his record be incredibly ruined? How is he going to get into college with this record? But then he remembers he doesn’t actually care and just digs back into his book.

 


 

Jongin had a method. In the school handbook it said that every student had a maximum of 3 detentions that they can get before they are suspended for a week but this would be renewed within the next month. He got in a lot of trouble with his parents but he was still technically safe.

 

Plus he could still see his darling Do Kyungsoo, glaring at him from over his book every single detention he gets but nonetheless, he’ll take what he can get.

 

And, eh he could take a few scratches on his otherwise perfect record.

 


 

“Seriously Jongin, don’t you have anything else to do than bother Kyungsoo-sunbae?”

 

“Sehun, I swear to god, stop bothering me!”

 

“You know all you’re going to do is make him mad. I don’t even get what he did to you for you to be so obsessed with him,” Sehun said, rolling his eyes as Jongin got his water balloon bucket ready.

 

“I am not obsessed!” Jongin yells. He clasps a hand over his mouth, as a few students look towards the dark classroom in curiosity. “I am not obsessed,” he hisses again, quietly this time. He finally fills the last water balloon as he ties it up and plops it down in the bucket.

 

“He won’t have any other spare clothes until I come in and offer my gym clothes! It’s perfect!” Jongin says as he looks around for the mini ladder they stole from the janitor’s closet.

 

“I really don’t see why you don’t just ask him out on a date like a normal guy,” Sehun says as Jongin hands him the bucket. Jongin ignores him as he places the ladder right next to the door and gestures to Sehun to bring the bucket over. Sehun sighs and rolls his eyes as he hands it to his idiotic best friend.

 

“Okay, Kyungsoo-hyung comes into this classroom at exactly 4pm to tutor those lame kids –(“Didn’t Kyungsoo-hyung use to tutor you?) and when he opens the door, wham! The water will come cascading down onto him and he’ll be soaking wet. Then I come in like the prince I am and hand him my extra clothes. It’s perfect. He’ll be so grateful.”

 

Sehun gives him a deadpan look.

 

“There are too many flaws with this plan to even begin with,” Sehun says.

 

“Thanks! Now quickly come help me hide the ladder!”

 

.

 

Kyungsoo checks over his lesson notes that he has to go over with the underclassmen today.  He checks his watch and sees he has at least 5 more minutes until the kids show up so he should quickly set up his notes and worksheets before they arrive.

 

He heads down to the empty classroom and pushes open the door-weird it’s usually closed-when suddenly…

 

Kyungsoo is pelted with water as his glasses slide off his face and fall to the floor. Suddenly his vision blacks out for a second as something metal makes a sharp crack against his skull. He falls over in pain as he tries finding his glasses through blurry eyes and slippery hands.

 

“Oh my god!”

 

“What. The. ?” Kyungsoo spits out.

 

“Kyungsoo I am so sorry,” Jongin says as he shakily bends down to get a hold of his cracked glasses (Jongin feels utterly sorry about that too)- and gently puts it on Kyungsoo’s steadily getting red face.

 

“Are you okay? Did it hit you too hard?” Kyungsoo feels rough, calloused hands brushing his wet hair back and massaging his head but it was making his headache hurt even more and he shoves away the culprit.

 

“Who are you?” he asks shakily. Jongin’s eyes widen.

 

“Oh my god. D-did you l-lose your memory?” Jongin stutters, cheeks turning pink as Kyungsoo’s face got nearer.

 

Jongin held his breath cause wow this is the closest he has ever been-

 

“Ow!” he winces as a particularly hard slap was dealt to the side of his head.

 

“Of course I didn’t you idiot! But I’m sure I have freaking brain damage from everything you have ever done to me!” Kyungsoo yells in his ear as he smacks every surface of Jongin’s body he could get a hand on.

 

“And of course I’d recognize that dumb voice of yours anywhere,” he bites out as he tries to wring most of the water from his clothes. He should’ve known Kim Jongin would somehow ruin his day. He looks down at his notes, all watered down and smeared. He spent all night typing up those worksheets. He tried to delicately pick them up but it was of no use as the soggy papers ripped as soon as he got a hold of them.

 

There were three timid knocks at the door when Kyungsoo looks up.

 

“Um, Kyungsoo-hyung.” Jongin goes from looking apologetically at Kyungsoo to glaring at the underclassmen standing at the door.

 

The boys shrink under his gaze as they glanced between him and their soaking wet tutor on the floor.

 

“Hey guys. Sorry there has been a sort of accident,” Kyungsoo says with a bright smile. Jongin is stunned. His jaw would’ve nearly dropped open if he didn’t feel Kyungsoo give him a very hard pinch on his side as he passed by him to stand in front of the freshmen.

 

“I’m afraid our lesson notes have been ruined so we can’t have our regular session today. Would tomorrow at lunchtime be a good time for you guys?” he asks. Jongin didn’t think it’d be possible for Kyungsoo’s voice to be that sweet.

 

“S-sure Kyungsoo hyung. What happened here though?” one of the boys asked.

 

“It was just a small mishap, nothing serious,” he says with a reassuring smile. “Meet me at the library until then,” he says as they bowed and made their goodbyes. As soon as they left he turns around to face Jongin with the look of death. “You!” Jongin gulps visibly and tries to smile.

 

“Do I even bother to ask?” Kyungsoo glares.  “Where’s Sehun today?”

 

As if on cue, the blonde comes out from under the desk, looking awkwardly away from Kyungsoo’s glare.

 

“Why do I expect anything else from these past years? Every year I think, hmm maybe Kim Jongin decides to ing grow up for once!” he yells. Jongin winces as he twiddles his thumbs in shame. But he couldn’t help feeling that little twinge of satisfaction at the thought of Kyungsoo thinking about him.

 

“Fine, I guess you can…report me to the higher ups."

 

“Why? So I can stare at your face for an extra hour of a day? I can never win with you,” Kyungsoo said, voice sounding tired all of a sudden. Jongin honestly regrets even thinking up of such a ridiculous plan.  Now that he looks closely he can see the bags under Kyungsoo’s eyes. He looks down and realizes the upperclassman was still wet.

 

“Oh! Here!” he says hastily as he pulls out his gym clothes and pushes them into Kyungsoo’s arms.

 

Kyungsoo looks down confusedly at them and then back at Jongin’s expectant face.

 

“I really am sorry, truly. I just…you might catch a cold so…” he trails off as Kyungsoo doesn’t say a word.

 

“No thanks,” he finally states as he pushes the clothes back into Jongin’s hands. He picks up his soaked bag and pushes his cracked glasses up his nose and makes his way out of the classroom, head held up high, ignoring Jongin and Sehun’s apologetic gaze on his back as he leaves.


 

“Sehun what do I do? He hates me!” Jongin wails as he plops down onto the cafeteria table.

 

“Surprise, surprise,” Sehun mutters as he shoves another fry into his mouth.

 

“You have to help me!” Jongin says desperately as he grabs onto Sehun’s jacket.

 

“Get off! And go fix this yourself. Kyungsoo hyung already hates me for hanging around with you. Just apologize!”

 

“I can’t just apologize,” the tanned boy sighs as he glances fondly at the boy across the cafeteria. Since his glasses had cracked (courtesy of Jongin) he replaced them with clear contacts. Jongin loves both looks and he sighs dreamily. Kyungsoo is diligently handing out servings of food behind the counter. Even the cafeteria ladies can’t stop looking at him like the golden child he is.

 

“Sure you can. ‘Hey Kyungsoo-hyung sorry I was a big jerk oh hey, I’m kind of in love with you, okay forgive me?’” Sehun gets a whack on his head from that but that was to be expected.

 

“Just be nice to him. How is it that hard? When did you even start all this,” Sehun asks. Jongin sighs as he plops his head back down on the cafeteria table.

 

.

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo weren’t always butting head to head.  There was a time Kyungsoo was actually nice towards Jongin and Jongin wasn't a brat.

 

Jongin was incredibly shy. He had only one best friend named Taemin, who he played with everyday in their neighborhood. But Taemin had moved away leaving Jongin to attend elementary school without knowing any of the other kids.

 

During recess, Jongin would sit on the bench as he watched all the other kids play. He had wanted to cry because that was when he would miss Taemin the most. But then a hand reached out to him and he looked up to see the most beautiful angelic looking person he had ever seen.

 

“Hi! I’m Do Kyungsoo! Is this your first year here?” Jongin nods and shakes the boy’s hand.

 

“I’m a grade above you. What’s your name?”

 

“Kim Jongin,” he shyly responds.

 

“Hi Jongin, you can call me hyung. Do you want to play with me?” Kyungsoo asked, looking nervous. As if Jongin would reject a potential friend. Jongin excitedly nods as they both start chasing each other around the school grounds, shrieks of laughter filling the air. They both played so hard they barely had enough energy to go through with the rest of the day.

 

The next day Jongin was excited to play with his Kyungsoo hyung again but when he waited on the bench for Kyungsoo hyung to show up, the boy was surrounded by other friends. Friends that weren’t him. The older boy was laughing, his cheeks a lovely color of red. 

 

Jongin was too shy to even go up to him and ask to play with him again. He couldn't help but feel felt bitter and jealous. Wasn’t he enough?

 

He decided that he would never be enough to catch the older boy’s attention and he would have to make sure Kyungsoo wouldn’t forget him again.

 

When he met Kyungsoo again in middle school, he did all that he could to make things harder for the older. It wasn’t the attention he had been looking for but he didn’t care. Kyungsoo noticed him, Kyungsoo remembered him, and he would never forget him.

 

 

 

“Looks like you’re not his only admirer.”

 

Jongin snaps out of his memories as he glances at where Sehun is looking at. A lone freshman is sitting at the table nearest the counter, unmistakably looking up shyly at Kyungsoo. She occasionally flips up her bangs to get a better look when the upperclassman flashes a smile at the students in line.

 

Jongin grits his teeth at the blatant staring.

 

“God, can she be any more obvious?” he grumbles as he stabs a straw through his milk carton. Sehun snorts, milk dribbling down his mouth as he tries holding it in. Jongin scrunches his nose at disgust.

 

“Really? You, of all people are saying that?” Sehun says as he cleans himself up.

 

“What, I’m not obvious,” Jongin’s voice trails off. His eyes subconsciously trail up at the black haired senior, laughing along with the cafeteria ladies.

 

“You just did it again!”

 

“Shut up! At least help me do something about it!” Jongin says with a red face.

 

“Okay, fine. Since I’m the greatest friend you ever had I will help you.”

 

“Don’t make me regret asking you.”

 

.

 

Sehun stops Kyungsoo as the senior is heading to his last class for the day. He loudly groans when he sees the blonde coming towards him.

 

“What does Jongin want,” he says, straight to the point.

 

“Uh…nothing. I just wanted to talk to you,” Sehun says, shyly. Kyungsoo doesn’t look convinced but he finds it endearing such a tall boy with a intimidating face like Sehun gets shy like this.

 

“Fine, say whatever you want to say quickly,” he says as he glances at his watch. Sehun stutters in a panic. He was supposed to get in a good word about Jongin but he racks his mind for stuff to actually say. His feet smell? He never throws out his candy wrappers so they’re just piling up in his locker?

 

“I-I think you should come watch our dance practice today!” he blurts out.

 

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “You dance?”

 

“Yeah…it’s today at 4. Are you free?” Kyungsoo stands still for a minute to think and then finally nods.

 

“I guess I could stop by.” Sehun smiles widely, surprising the upperclassman as he had never actually seen Oh Sehun smile.

 

“Great he’ll- I mean I’ll be really grateful! See you Kyungsoo-sunbae!” He quickly turns the other way, cursing a bit as he realized his classroom was all the way at the end of the hall. Kyungsoo chuckles as he sees the younger boy trip over his shoes and shakes his head.

 

He wondered why Oh Sehun would ask him to see him at practice. Unless it was another prank. Wherever Sehun was, Kim Jongin was bound to be there. Kyungsoo sighs, already regretting saying yes. He mentally prepares himself for 4pm.

 

Kyungsoo showed up right on the dot at 4pm. He hesitates before knocking quietly on the door to the practice room.

 

The door swings open so quickly that Kyungsoo almost jumps back in shock. Jongin is standing there, breathing heavily and sweating in almost every part of his body.

 

“Hyung! You made it,” Jongin impulsively leans forward as if to give Kyungsoo a hug but he must’ve noticed the older boy’s grimace. “Sorry. Adrenaline rush. Come in!”

 

Kyungsoo walks in slowly and looks around. Sehun is standing there chugging down a water bottle. Other than the two boys, the practice room was empty.

 

“Only you two are practicing?” Kyungsoo questions as Jongin helpfully takes his bag and places it on the bench.

 

“Yeah usually the team meets up on Fridays but Jongin and I like to release stress whenever,” Sehun answers.

 

“Make yourself comfortable hyung,” Jongin said, as Sehun got ready to play the music. When Kyungsoo realized that Sehun really did invite him over to just watch them dance, he made himself comfy on the bench and waited patiently. He was a bit excited to watch if he was being honest. He had never seen a live dance performance before.

 

The two boys got into position as the starting beat of the music started. Jongin gulped nervously as he felt the stare on his back. He never felt this nervous in front of Kyungsoo before, he wonders why he felt this way now. Too caught up in his thoughts, he missed the first step while Sehun just danced the way he usually did. Jongin cursed inwardly as he tried to match the other’s steps and got back into the flow. He was getting confident again as he danced like he usually did but when he saw Sehun dancing different steps in the mirror, he panicked in confusion. He then remembered that they switched up the routine the day before. Too frustrated with himself, Jongin just shut down.

 

Sehun was dancing normally but slowed when he saw Jongin stopped dancing.

 

“What’s wrong? Do you want to start it from the top?” Sehun asked, concerned. Jongin’s head was down, sweaty bangs over his eyes.

 

“I think I’m just going to head home early,” Jongin said as he walked over to grab his bag. Sehun was beyond confused. The only reason he asked Kyungsoo to come was so he could watch them dance and be impressed. He got both of those down but now Jongin was leaving?

 

“I’ll text you later,” Jongin said as if that eased Sehun’s mind. He barely glanced at Kyungsoo as he left the room.

 

“What happened?” Kyungsoo asked, feeling out of place.

 

“I don’t know,” Sehun frowned. “You should probably go after him. He might be feeling insecure about his dancing. He gets like that sometimes.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened at that. From what he saw, the two were amazing dancers. How could Jongin feel insecure about that? He nods at Sehun as he grabs his bag and hopes he could catch up to Jongin.

 

“Hmph, this brat is the one that’s always bothering me but why is it that I’m always the one chasing after him,” Kyungsoo mutters as he speeds up his pace.

 

He sees Jongin’s dejected, hunched back and feels a bit sorry even though he had nothing to do with how the younger felt.

 

“Jongin!” he calls out. The younger boy immediately straightens up and turns around. Kyungsoo wanted to laugh at how his reaction seemed similar to an excited pup but then Jongin’s face shifted back to looking dejected again.

 

“What, hyung,” Jongin says monotonously. He continues to walk as Kyungsoo struggles to catch up to his long legs. Curse his short stature, Kyungsoo thinks.

 

“Why are you acting like this?” he asks.

 

“Why do you care?” Jongin shoots back. Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows. 

 

“Well you could’ve at least had manners and said goodbye,” he mutters.

 

“Sorry…” Jongin sighs. “…hyung.”

 

They both walk in silence with Jongin occasionally sending Kyungsoo side glances. The older purses his lips and tries not to smile. Jongin made it very obvious even if he tried to hide it but he decided to let it slide since the younger wasn’t in the greatest of moods.

 

“You danced great by the way.”

 

Jongin snaps his head to the shorter and opens his mouth and closes it again.

 

“R-really?” he manages.

 

“Yeah of course! Sehun told me you were insecure about your dancing but I don’t really see a reason for you to be.” Jongin pouted.

 

“So are you just comforting me because Sehun told you too?” Jongin winces as he feels a pinch on his ear. “Ow, ow! What?”

 

“Of course not! What do you see me as? Do you really think I’d do anything Oh Sehun tells me to?” Kyungsoo says as he rolls his eyes. He gives mercy and lets go of Jongin’s ear as the younger pouts bigger and rubs the injured area.

 

“Well you don’t usually compliment me yet you are. And you don’t really talk to me either so…” Jongin trails off as he plays with the straps of his backpack, hoping Kyungsoo doesn’t see the red on his cheeks. He does.

 

Kyungsoo smiles.

 

“Well, I don’t usually talk to brats but if they were sensible and can handle a proper conversation I could make an exception,” he grins. Jongin sends a shy smile his way.

The two walk comfortably in silence before Kyungsoo speaks up.

 

"If you have a passion, you should keep going at it and not give it up just because you've made some mistakes."

"After all if we just gave up after a few errors, what could we even accomplish?" 

 

Jongin looks surprisedly at Kyungsoo to which the elder returns with a bright smile.

 

“Oh this is me!” Jongin is still stunned as Kyungsoo runs up the stairs to a normal looking white house.

 

“See you tomorrow, Jongin!” he says as he waves once before disappearing inside.

 

“I-goodnight hyung,” Jongin says, more to himself as the object of his affection already went inside.

 

Maybe things are looking up.

 

.

 

“I can’t believe her!”

 

“What now,” Sehun says. Why couldn’t he have made a normal best friend and had normal lunch conversations. How about a ‘How was your day Sehun?’ or a ‘How are you doing ol’ buddy, Sehun?’ ‘Would you like a foot massage, Sehun?’

 

“Sehun! Are you even listening?!”

 

“What about Kyungsoo-sunbae again?”

 

“Not him! Look who he’s talking to!” Sehun looks to where Jongin was pointing at behind his palm.

 

It was the shy girl they spotted the previous day.

 

“How dare she talk to him like they’re close friends,” Jongin grumbles. The girl was giggling as she was talking to the senior. “Come on Kyungsoo hyung is not even funny, what is she laughing so hard for?”

Sehun hopes he could just finish his sandwich in peace and try to tune out Jongin’s rambling but the other just kept tapping his arm repeatedly whenever the girl would do something he considered threatening.

 

“She’s doing that girl thing, where they would twirl their hair.”

 

“She’s doing the puppy eyed look! That’s mine!”

 

“Oh I swear if she asks him to the spring dance…”

 

Sehun cuts him off. “Why don’t you just go over there and do something about it?”

 

Jongin looks at him as if he grew a second head.

 

“Excuse me? Do you know how creepy that would look?”

 

Sehun sighed again. Right, as if staring at his crush from across the cafeteria watching his every move and the person he’s talking to wasn’t creepy.

 

“I have to ask him out. I don’t think I can take it anymore,” Jongin finally says. Sehun gives his thanks to the heavens. No more depressing Kyungsoo conversations. No more moping around during lunchtime. He swears he knows way too much about the senior than one should.

 

“Good luck, don’t fail.”

 

.

 

“Kyungsoo hyung!” Jongin calls out. Kyungsoo looks up at Jongin and was about to greet a hello when Jongin drags him out of his seat.

 

“W-what?” The girl next to him looks confusedly as Kyungsoo hurriedly gives her a bye before being tugged harder away. He glares at the back of the younger’s head. “What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“I have an important question to ask you,” Jongin says as he takes him to an empty hallway. Kyungsoo feels uncomfortable how intense Jongin is looking at him right now. This wasn’t another prank was it?

 

“Kyungsoo hyung, I’ve liked you for a really long time. Will you go out with me?” Jongin asks after taking a deep breath.

 

Kyungsoo just stares at him, mouth wide open. Jongin just shifts from foot to foot nervously.

 

Seconds pass but it feels like an eternity to the younger.

 

“Hyung, please just say something,” he pleads.

 

“I-I don’t know what to say,” Kyungsoo finally manages. “Is Oh Sehun standing behind there with a camera?”

 

“What?” Jongin says incredulously. “No! These are my feelings and they're true! Here!”

 

He grabs Kyungsoo’s hands and places them on his chest. Kyungsoo’s face reddens and Jongin just wants to lean down and kiss them but he wants Kyungsoo to know beforehand that he is honest and he wants to date him and love him properly. He wants to make up for all the times he was stupid and foolish and gained the wrong kind of attention from him.

 

“Hyung, I know this might sound ridiculous to you. I mean the boy who messed with you at every chance he got confessing? I would hate me too. But you were always surrounded by so many people who loved you. What were the chances you would even glance at someone like me?” Jongin confesses. He didn’t look away from Kyungsoo’s eyes even once. “And even then, you were nice to me. Yeah you got mad but you never told me to scram or curse at me or hit me-wait never mind you did hit me…hurt a lot too-but anyway! You forgive me almost every single time I do something to you. I don’t know how someone could be like you. You’re kind of an idiot. I would’ve killed me by now.”

 

Kyungsoo is still stunned. His hands are still on Jongin’s chest. He didn’t get why there were placed there but then he felt the fast beating of the younger’s heart.

 

“I-I…” he still could not believe what he heard. Sure, Jongin’s been acting nicer to him these past days but he thought the younger just wanted to make amends and actually befriend him, not because he’s been harboring feelings for him for how long.

He actually thinks he might cry.

Pressure never fit well with Do Kyungsoo.

“I need time,” he finally says. Jongin’s expectant face turns into a rejected one. “I didn’t say no!” Jongin brightens up again. “But I’m not saying I’ll say yes in the future.” Back to sad. “Listen, Jongin, this is a lot to take in.”

"I mean, you were always tormenting me. This is such a shock! I really did not see this coming at all. I know we recently became on good terms with each other but...I still don't really know you even after all these years we known each other. Or if you're gonna pull a fast one on me," Kyungsoo glances to the sides, suspiciously, as if someone would jump out with a camera and yell 'YOU GOT PRANKED'. Jongin throws his hands up in exasperation.

"I bared half my soul to you and you still don't believe me? You should know I would never do something this cruel. Sure I almost knocked you unconscious and basically made you run around in circles for most of middle school, but can't you forget that and view me as a potential boyfriend?" Jongin pleads.

"I told you I need some time. I have to go," Kyungsoo sidesteps Jongin and quickly walks off, looking behind him once. His chest feels a pang at the sight of Jongin looking down at the floor as if he wanted it to swallow him up.

 

.

 

Kyungsoo has always found Jongin attractive. Especially after his impressive change from middle school to high school. He admitted to himself a couple of times that if Jongin's personality was decent enough, he would even have a tiny crush on him. But Jongin made him confused. He would laugh at him and then he would be concerned about him. He would prank him and then compensate for them. It made his head hurt. And with this sudden confession, how was he supposed to just accept it?

What if Jongin just decided boring nerd Kyungsoo just wasn't enough for him? Kyungsoo who was always too into his books and school work didn't seem like a person someone would have a crush on. 

It just didn't make sense. And he was leaving the country for university anyway. There would be no time for a relationship. Jongin would forget about him soon enough and move on and maybe marry someone who could reciprocate his feelings. Yes, this is what Kyungsoo decides. But why does his heart feel so unsettled?

 

.

 

Jongin sighed. Kyungsoo hasn't given him a reply yet and it's been a week. When he said to give him time he thought it would be at least a couple of days. He hasn't even seen the elder much lately. Whenever he would spot the elder, the boy would just turn the opposite direction. That was a sign telling Jongin that he shouldn't ask him yet.

But when a week past, and the days got closer to the older's graduation, Jongin couldn't help but feel antsy. He wanted to talk to Kyungsoo. Tell him he's willing to wait. Tell him that he'd be okay with long distance if that meant Kyungsoo could finally be his.

.

Kyungsoo wanted to hit himself. This wasn't his usual behavior. If he was thinking straight, he would just lay it flat down for Jongin. No I am not ready for a relationship. I don't think this can work out. I couldn't stop thinking about your confession while lying in bed at night.

Kyungsoo shakes his head.

He was a coward. Just thinking about Jongin's sad eyes and dejected face made him turn the oppostive direction everytime he even had a glance of Jongin in the hallway.

A part of him knows this is unfair for the younger. He's sure that no matter how many pranks the younger played on him, what he's doing to the younger must hurt so much more than the jokes. He vows to tell Jongin today.

.

Jongin walks sluggishly to his locker. He didn't realize how much he ranted to Sehun until the other was absent. He sighs as he opens his locker but his eyes widen at the paper that was left in it.

He opens it quickly and skims through it.

Hello Jongin,

I would like to meet with you at the Oak Tree behind the school at 4pm, if that is okay with you?

Thank you,

Kyungsoo

 

Jongin wanted to laugh at how formal Kyungsoo wrote even in letters. But then an anxious feeling overcame his chest. This was it. Kyungsoo would finally give him the answer he was waiting for. 

.

Kyungsoo was standing under the tree, punctual as usual. Jongin would've smiled at how cute the older looked when he was nervous if he didn't feel like puking from the anxiousness.

"Jongin, hi," Kyungsoo breathes out when he spots the younger. 

Jongin gives a smile. It calmed the older as he prepared what he wanted to say.

"Before you say anything, hyung, I just want you to know that I'll be okay with either answer. That's not to say I'll give up on you. I don't want you to feel like I'm forcing you into anything. I know you're a very goal driven person and I would just hold you back. It'd be selfish of me to tie you down," Jongin says as he looks straight into Kyungsoo's eyes. "That's what I like about you anyway." He smiles warmly again. Kyungsoo didn't think it'd be possible to feel so much at this moment. So many people have told him that his ambition was a turn off and that he should just enjoy his teenage years for once. But there was nothing he loved more than to serve others and to work towards his goal. 

"I-thank you, Jongin. I know I can come off as a bit headstrong and too passionate so thank you for liking me and accepting my flaws. I don't know what even compelled you to like me. Even though you've already said it, I still can't grasp my head around it," Kyungsoo says as he plays around with his fingers, a habit he did when he was nervous. Jongin noticed and wraps his hands around the other's, steadying him. 

"I don't think I'm ready for a relationship," he says looking up at Jongin to gauge his reaction. The younger just simply looks at him, encouraging him to continue. "I'm going to be far away and I feel like we'd be jumping into this too quickly. We need time to grow, to go places and try new things. I'm not saying you only like me because I'm all you've known but that might be the case? If you still feel the same way for me in a couple of years, ask me then."

 

"I'll do it," Jongin said without hesitating.

 

He knows Kyungsoo doesn't believe that with the way his nose scrunches. Jongin chuckles.

 

"I will wait. I did it all these years didn't I? Don't worry too much, hyung, you'll get wrinkles." Kyungsoo feels a flick on his forehead as Jongin looks at him fondly. 

 

"Thanks."

 

"Oh and Jongin? I like you too." Jongin feels his entire body skyrocket to the moon as Kyungsoo stands on his tippytoes to kiss him straight on the lips.

 


 

Jongin went to a small college close to the neighborhood he grew up in. He saves up just enough to rent an apartment with Sehun. The place is small but the two get by. Kyungsoo had already moved halfway across the world and Jongin tried not to cry when the elder hugged him goodbye at the airport. It just felt like the two had never been apart. Wherever he went, Kyungsoo's presence had always been there. His chest had never felt this heavy when they were apart but the finalization of Kyungsoo's departure after their confessions to each other hit him hard. 

But Jongin knew Kyungsoo would never see him worthy if he just moped and angsted over his leave and decided to shape up. He surrounded himself with his dance friends and hung out with pals and danced his best. He entered small competitions, winning a couple that could pay off a few month's rent. He went on to better himself, but stayed true to his roots. A couple of years later he and Sehun started a small dance studio where he taught younger kids how to dance.

 

Life was good. Now all he needed was Kyungsoo to make it great.

 


 

Kyungsoo had worked hard all his life. He volunteered for multiple jobs while in school, paid or not it didn't matter to him. He just loved to serve his teachers, school, and people around him. Still, people had criticized him for it. Saying he didn't have a straight path to follow and was too wayward in his choices. It was true he didn't have a plan. He just knew what he liked and that he did well in things he liked. He knew he was too ambitious and that might be his greatest flaw or biggest strength. It was the initial reason he decided to go to school all the way in the states. He thought maybe if he went far enough he would be able to finally find his calling. It was only when he was miles away from home that he realized what he was searching for wasn't there at all. 

Two years in and Do Kyungsoo drops out of college to go back home.

 


 

Jongin's muscles ached. He just wanted to go home and rest his tired bones and then force Sehun to massage his back for him. He decided to take a shortcut from the familiar road he usually took to get home. His nose suddenly smells something really good. He turns around and sees a small bakery that he hasn't noticed before.

It was still bright out and he figures he might as well buy some pastries to eat at home.

 

.

 

Kyungsoo smiles brightly as the bell rung, signaling another customer has entered the bakery. 

"Hi! Welcome to Starshine, how may I-Jongin?"

 

 

Jongin is stunned. Out of all places he didn't expect to see Do Kyungsoo standing behind the counter of a bakery, looking as good as he did when he left him at the airport to go to the other side of the world. He was so overwhelmed with his feelings that he barely registered his feet running towards the older and holding him tight.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" Kyungsoo's voice was muffled from Jongin's shirt as he struggled against his arms but he couldn't deny the warm feeling in his chest and the pink on his cheeks. Jongin only held him tighter as he nuzzled his nose in Kyungsoo's neck. He smelled like fresh coffee and warm bread. It was heaven.

"I didn't think I'd see you again," Jongin whispers.

Kyungsoo finally pulls away from the tight grip but the two still stood close to each other, faces only milimeters away. A beautiful smile shines on Kyungsoo's face. Jongin is reminded of elementary school. 

"I don't think I could get rid of you if I tried," he says and he kisses him.

 


I HAVEN'T WRITTEN IN SO LONG FORGIVE ME FOR EVERY MISTAKE. I read this over like once.

 

I scrapped so much in this lol like the principal was supposed to be kyungsoo's dad and the kid he gave a pass too was supposed to be chanyeol his half bro but then i was like wait where would i even go with that?

 

but yeah happy reading~