00:31 am

Unknown

You forget you're at the lamest New Year's party ever. Bodies are sprawled on the couch, pretty sure there's someone puking in that plant and your best friend is fighting with her boyfriend again. You try and remember why you bothered coming anyway but yet again you fail to recall. You grab your things and try and make a swift exit before your friend notices your departure. 

"Hold it."

You turn around slowly praying it isn't your drunk best friend, Layla with her idiotic boyfriend tailing behind her like a lap dog. 

It is. "I just remembered this crazy essay I have due on Monday, you know me, last minute and all that." you chuckle. It's so forced even her idiotic boyfriend caught on. 

He giggles profusely, "You can't wiggle yourself out of this one! There's a surprise!" 

Your friend walks you to the door with her hand on your back,  "You're really going to regret not sticking around, no one's gonna force you though." You know she's upset but you're pretty sure if you stay another minute you'll punch her man in the throat.
"I'll see you in the lecture tomorrow, okay?" You assure her. She smiles back at you weakly and you know you've disappointed her but you shuffle out the door anyway. 

The walk to the bus stop isn't long but the cold is making your lips insanely chapped. You fumble in your pockets for your chapstick and as you take your hand out your keys fall out with it. You mutter curse words to yourself as you reach down to grab it but a pale, muscular hand grabs it before you can. You wait for the person to look up before reaching in your jean pocket for your pepper spray. 

"Hey, I think I'- AHHHH!" 

You got him right in the eyeballs, you grab your keys off his hands and make a run for the bus stop. Thankfully the bus is right on time and you quickly tap in. As it makes it's way down the road you see the guy rolling around on the pavement in pain.
You've never been one to take chances, this isn't the first time a creepy guy has fallen victim to your pepper spray attacks. You assure yourself it's for the best, he could've been a serial killer, a really cute one at that. He kind of looked like...you shake your head in disbelief and throw the thought at the back of your mind. You gaze absentmindidly out the window watching your dull, lifeless city at night go by.