The Sketchbook

The Sketchbook

It’s obviously another boring day for Jongin. With his calculus professor keeps talking about whatever it is on his presentation, Jongin wishes he can just skip this class and go home instead.

But the thing is, the professor seems to like Jongin so much that he always comes up with something to scold Jongin with. So, Jongin can’t just skip his class or otherwise he will not pass this class and should apply again for the next semester—it’s not like Jongin will love to do that.

So, here he is, trying his best not to fall asleep—like what he does to another class—and tries to look focusing enough for the sake of not getting any scold today.

He turns his head slightly to his right—where his so called best(bro)friend is sitting, his eyes never leave his phone screen.

“Oh Sehun,” the said person turns his head to Jongin, “What are you doing?”

“Texting,” he simply answers it.

But with the smile on his face, Jongin already knows it all too well with who he’s texting. “Must be with that cute chinese senior, right?”

Sehun glares at him. “Only me who can say he’s cute.”

Jongin snorts. “Everyone says he’s cute, Oh Sehun. Don’t act so possesive already, he’s not your boyfriend.”

Yet, Kim Jongin. Just wait and see, when I’m with him already, I’ll be making out hard in front of your face you will come in your pants” Sehun says with so much pride—Jongin suddenly wants to puke.

“Good, can’t wait to see that,” Jongin throws his word sarcastically.

Sehun snorts at him and then his eyes back again to his phone screen. Oh Sehun definitely not someone you can talk with when you’re bored, especially when he’s texting his crush—Jongin make a note about that.

Jongin’s eyes back again to whatever the presentation is in front of the class, still thinking how he can be genius in one night so he doesn’t need to study to have a good score on final exam.

Few minutes after that, he decides that he doesn’t undestand any single thing—and will never understand no matter how hard he tries to read it all over. So, he’s starting to make a random scribble on the last page of his book.

That’s when he realized that it’s not his book.

Jongin looks at it carefully, and it’s definitely not his book—most of his book has black cover, this one has white cover.

He opens the first page of it—hoping to see the name of the owner of the book. But he finds nothing, except a little word that is kinda blur—he can’t even read it.

Jongin tries to remember where did he get that book, when he realized—again—that he never took his book out from his bag, and the white cover book is already on the table he use now. It’s not a strange thing because sometimes senior and freshman can use the same class for the same day, so Jongin assumes that the book belongs to his senior or another freshman.

He flips the few pages—there are only some notes about assignment he doesn’t understand, so a senior?

He flips it more until he doesn’t see notes again—he sees sketch. Of boy—looks like a manga one.

Jongin chuckles. “So it becomes a sketchbook,” he flips it more—all of the sketch seem to be the same boy. Sometimes only his face, sometimes it’s a full body sketch.

And then he realized about something again.

All of the sketch kinda look like him.

“You gotta be kidding me,” he says it out loud—

—totally forgot that he’s still on class.

Suddenly all eyes are turning to him, including his Professor.

“Kim Jongin-ssi, do you have something to say?”

Damn it. “Hm—no, Mr. Wu. I’m just—I’m just kinda confused about that one,” his finger point out a random question of calculus on Mr. Wu’s presentation.

Mr. Wu only look at Jongin with his judging face and says, “You will understand if you pay more attention to my explanation, Kim Jongin-ssi. Please, try to listen it carefully, or else you can’t pass my class.”

Jongin just nodding his face, and he did see a glimpse of teasing from Sehun’s face—Jongin just want to smack him hard on the face.

Damn it, he gets scolded again—thanks to the freaking book that have his sketch all over it.

Jongin looks at the book again, thinking of what he should do with it. Should he leave it on the table again—

—or maybe he can bring the book home and analyze it more?

.

.

“Holy ,” that’s Sehun’s reaction when his eyes are scanning all of the sketch and sometimes looking at Jongin’s face. “It does look like you.”

Jongin just give him i-told-you-so look while drinking his Americano.

Yeah, Kim Jongin decided to bring the sketchbook home.

“It’s kinda creepy,” Sehun slurps his bubble tea, “I mean, ALL of the sketch looks like you! Do you think the one who has this is a stalker?”

Jongin’s eyes are back again to the book—the sketch on that page seems to look like him when he danced on college’s freshman welcome party. “I don’t know. Whoever it is, it does feel like a stalker.”

“I know right,” Sehun’s eyes is scanning the sketch again. “Maybe your fangirls? Oh, sorry, I forgot that you’re the next famous people from our faculty.”

Jongin snorts—but it’s not that Sehun’s wrong anyway.

Since his first day on college, Jongin already attracted many people’s attention. He has a lean figure, tall, dark skin—absolutely different with other. People say that he’s definitely handsome—“no you’re not, there’s something wrong with their eyes, just that.” Well, Oh Sehun will never accept that Jongin is more handsome than him.

Jongin dances too. He joined college’s dance club with Sehun, and that’s when his popularity becomes bigger than before.

“If it’s from fangirls, I give up. Too many possibility for it,” Jongin says—completely hopeless.

Sehun’s eyebrows scrunched up. “Maybe she joins the art club? All the sketch are really good to be honest, I wish she draws me instead of you.”

Jongin snorts—again. “Only in your dream, Oh Sehun,” he says before snatch the sketchbook from Sehun’s hand.

“Hey! I’m not done with it!”

Jongin rolls his eyes. “Yes you are, dude. You have been staring at it for fifteen minutes already.”

“Okay then, fine,” Sehun gives up immediately—cause it’s true anyway, “So, what are you going to do with that book? Are you gonna ask all people from our faculty about it?”

Jongin rolls his eyes again. “Then I’m gonna be the one who sounds like stalker, stupid. I’m gonna go to that class again after dance practice tomorrow, maybe I’ll see someone tries to find that book.”

.

.

He does see someone on the class the next day.

It’s already 5 PM—usually on college day it’s only senior who’s still on the building. Jongin—who’s just done his dance practice, like what he said to Sehun the day before, goes to the class where he found the book.

He absolutely doesn’t expect to see a small figure—and it’s actually a boy—trying to find something on the table he used the day before—completely unaware with Jongin’s presence.

“Hey.”

The small boy is jumping suddenly, and turns his head immediately to Jongin. That’s when Jongin finally has a good look of the boy’s face.

The boy’s eyes are nearly popping out when he see Jongin—like he doesn’t expect to see him at all. Well, his eyes are definitely big—it’s kinda look like penguin. And he has a thick lips too. And from the way he dress—t-shirt with blue sweater on it—Jongin can see him as nice-college-person-who-makes-good-score-on-all-lesson.

Jongin doesn’t know why he is thinking that the boy is absolutely cute too.

“Are you looking for something?” Jongin asks.

The boy seems to think about what to answer, before he answer hesitantly, “I lost my book here.”

Wow. Jongin doesn’t expect—again—that the boy’s voice is definitely nice to hear.

“What?”

“I-I lost my book here—on this table,” he points out the table, his eyes is not even focusing on Jongin for more than three seconds. “Yesterday—I mean, I lost it yesterday. A-and I just realized it today. It has white cover on it! Y-yeah it is!”

Jongin is trying his hardest not to smile when see the other boy is on uncomfortable spot right now. Instead, he grabs his bag and takes out the sketchbook out.

The boy’s expression is definitely priceless.

“You mean,” Jongin eyes the book, “this one?”

The other boy just stays silent after that—his cheeks are starting to become red.

Jongin chuckles. “You don’t need to be shy—I already saw all of the sketch.”

The boy’s eyes becomes bigger again, and he says it out loud, “You did?!”

Jongin just nods his head—completely smiling when he sees the boy’s whole face is definitely red now. He doesn’t even dare to look at Jongin—he’s just staring at his feet.

“Is that really me?” Jongin asks. “All of the skecth are based on me?”

It’s silent for a moment—Jongin uses that to look more into the boy’s figure. He’s really small—maybe his height only meet Jongin’s shoulder.

Definitely a cute senior.

“Yes.”

Huh?

“What? I don’t hear it?” Jongin asks again.

“Yes—yes, it’s you.”

The boy’s answer completely blows Jongin’s mind.

Jongin dumbly ask, “Really? Why?”

The boy is still staring at his feet. “I-I’ve been watching you since your dance performance on freshman welcome party—you were really good. A-and I saw you gave your friend your coffee—you really like coffee don’t you cause you buy it more than three times a day—because he wanted one, but you didn’t say it to him t-that is the last coffee from the cafetaria because they closed early that day.”

Jongin doesn’t even remember the coffee one—and this boy remembers it?

“You seems nice, Jongin-ssi. I don’t remember when I started to draw you a lot, you—you kinda look like those handsome’s main character from a manga.”

Jongin blinks his eyes. “You sound like a stalker.”

The boys lifts up his face and says it loud again, “I’m not! I swear I’m not!”

Jongin laughs because of that—making the boy’s face becomes a confused face. “I’m just kidding, relax.”

The boys just nods his head—before he’s staring at his feet again.

But he immediately lifts his face again when Jongin asks, “Do you want to have coffee with me?”

“W-what?”

Jongin chuckles. “I ask you to have  coffee with me—or maybe you want dinner? It’s almost dinner time, anyway.”

The boy’s face is completely confused.

“Why do you ask for that?”

Jongin raises up one of his eyebrow. “I thought you know the answer the already?” The boy shakes his head slowly, “Well, you seem like you know me a lot—even when we never talk with each other—”

“—so is it wrong if I want to know more about you too?”

The red color is coming back to the boy’s cheeks—he seems speechless with Jongin’s question.

Jongin is waiting for the boy to answer, but suddenly he’s starting to think that maybe he was too blunt? Maybe the boy is taken a back with his sudden invitation and he doesn’t know how to reject Jongin?

When Jongin is ready to open his mouth to take his invitation back, the small boy answers, “Yes.”

“What? What did you say?”

The boy is smiling—and Jongin sees his lips form a heart shape. “I said yes, Jongin-ssi. I’ll have coffee with you—or dinner, whatever you want.”

Jongin’s heart flutters a little bit. “Okay then, let’s go now? I know a good place. It’s kinda far from here but trust me—the food is good and it’s not that pricey too. Do you mind?”

The boy nods his head—still smiling. “No, I don’t. Let’s go then.”

.

.

“Well, you’re my senior, right?”

“Yes... but I don’t look like one, I guess?”

“Definitely. By the way, I saw a little word in front of your book but it’s kinda blur so I can’t read it. What is that?”

“Oh—that. That’s the name that my friends make for me. It’s D.O.”

“D.O? Is that your nickname or something?”

“Y-yeah. My name is Do Kyungsoo, it’s from my surname.”

“Okay then—Kyungsoo-hyung? Is that okay?”

“O-okay. It’s okay—definitely okay.”

Jongin can’t wait to be the one who will be making out hard first with this cute boy in front of Oh Sehun later.