Happy Birthday Jinki-hyung!

Birthday Surprise!

 

OMO! It's been a crazy two days!! So, I began writing this fluffy one-shot because my oppa wanted something fluffy to read but with a bit of drama and a blushing Jinki. I sent him the story and he asked me to post it. So here you go...btw...I might make a sequel. I've already been asked by my oppa and editor <33 Saranghae!! 

 

 

“You’ll always be my best friend, right? You said age didn’t matter.”

Taemin had tears in his eyes as he held onto his favorite hyung and best friend.

“Of course, Taeminnie. I told you. We will always be best friends. I’ll be right here when you come back. Don’t forget, I’ll call you on your birthday and you’ll call me on my birthday. And when you get back, I’ll treat you to a big dinner for your birthday.”

“Deh, Jinki-hyung.”

Five year old Taemin let go of his hyung and let him wipe away his tears. Jinki-hyung was only a year older than him, but he was already so mature and grown-up in Taemin’s eyes.

“Go, your umma is waiting for you.”

Taemin nodded his head before running to the car where his umma was waiting to take them to the airport so they could fly to Los Angeles where she received an amazing job.

Taemin poked his head out of the window and began waving goodbye as they drove away. Jinki waved back, finally letting his tears fall. He didn’t want the younger to know just how much he would miss him.

 

9 Years Later

 

For nine years, Taemin and Jinki kept in touch, calling each other on their birthdays and talking for hours. They only did this twice a year, hoping to save their families some money because of the long distance.

When Jinki turned fifteen, he didn’t receive a call from Taemin. He sulked most of the day, not letting anybody into his room. Just when his birthday was almost over, he received a call. But not from Taemin. It was Taemin’s umma, letting Jinki know that Taemin was accepted into a private school and only phone calls to family were permitted.

Jinki felt a little better knowing Taemin didn’t forget his birthday or wasn’t outright ignoring him. But he was still sad, knowing that Taemin would be there for two years.

Jinki didn’t want to admit it, but he had fallen for his best friend over the years. He wished he could see Taemin, hoping he still had the squishy cheeks he loved so much.

 

2 Years Later

 

Two years after Jinki’s fifteenth birthday had passed, he decided that he shouldn’t wait for Taemin to wish him a happy birthday anymore. Taemin’s umma had told him that Taemin would be out just before he turned sixteen, so when he called Taemin on his birthday and the phone was disconnected, he knew it was time to let go.

Jinki was in his last year of high school. He was very smart, graduating a year early, but not so popular. He had two friends that he was very close to, although he envied them greatly. Jonghyun and Key were made for each other. They even had their own couple name.

 

Jinki had never told his friends his orientation or the fact that he was in love with his best friend whom he hasn’t spoken to since the boy’s fourteenth birthday. He knew if his friends knew he was also gay, they would try to set him up with someone and he didn’t want that.

The day of his seventeenth birthday, Jinki went to school as normal. Jonghyun and Key, or Jongkey, were waiting for him in the parking lot. Key had made him cupcakes and Jonghyun had given him a CD of his favorite pianist, Minnie. Jinki was excited. He had homemade cupcakes and a CD that he couldn’t even get in Korea.

“You can’t eat them now. Just wait for lunch.”

Key took the cupcakes from Jinki, setting them in his gym bag.

“Come on, Key, just let me have one.”

“No. You should wait 'til lunch. I have to go. We have two new students.”

Key turned and started walking fast to the office of the school.

Key was the president of the class, Jonghyun was the secretary, and Jinki was the treasurer. They worked well together and everyone knew it. Jonghyun and Jinki walked into school, going to their lockers to grab their books for their first class.

Once they were in their class and seated, a girl whom Jinki detested came up to their tables and started singing Happy Birthday to him. He could see Jonghyun rolling his eyes. The girl finished singing, giving him a small box.

“Thank you, Luna, but I can’t accept this.”

Jinki handed back the package. She looked at him, tears in her eyes.

“It’s just a small gift, Jinki-Oppa.”

Luna moved forward, sitting down on Jinki’s desk.

“No it’s not, Luna. I’ve already told you, I can’t return your feelings.”

“Jinki-Oppa, stop playing hard to get.”

“I’m not playing anything. I’m seeing someone right now.”

Luna’s face turned angry while Jonghyun looked surprised.

“Haha! Very funny. Jinki, stop lying.”

Everybody turned to the student that had just walked in. Jinki groaned, while Jonghyun stood up, stepping up to Joon. Jinki grabbed Jonghyun’s arm and made him sit back down.

While Luna constantly threw herself at Jinki, Joon constantly bullied Jinki. Jinki never knew why Luna had such a thing for him and why Joon had always bullied him, but he would always secretly hope that they would end up together.

“I’m not lying. I am seeing someone. Just leave me alone today, please.”

Jinki ran his hands threw his long hair and hoped they would leave him alone.

“Stop kidding yourself, Jinki. No one wants you. Not a stupid looking nerd like you.”

Joon turned around and headed to his seat towards the front of the class. Luna also made her way to her seat, but not before giving the small box to Jinki.

“Are you going to open it?” Jonghyun looked at Jinki, eyes scanning over the box.

“Ani. I’m going to throw it away.”

Jinki relaxed when the teacher showed up and began teaching.

 

A Few Hours Later

Jinki and Jongkey were headed to the cafeteria, talking about the new students. Jinki had yet to learn their names but Key wouldn’t stop talking about one of the boys who was apparently really cute. The other boy was very quiet but seemed nice, according to Key. Key invited them to sit with them for lunch, even offering them birthday cupcakes since there was a dozen in the plastic container.

They sat down at their usual table, Jinki pulling out his laptop that he always brought with him to work on while he ate. Jonghyun instantly began eating his food while Key pulled out the container of cupcakes from his bag.

“Here, since you are the birthday boy, you can have one cupcake now and then another after you finish your lunch.”

Jinki set his computer off to the side to grab the cupcake, smiling brightly.

Jinki opened his mouth to take a bite. He pulled away, frustrated when someone had decided to grab his head and his hand to push the cupcake into his face, harshly.

“Yah! What the hell, Joon?!”

Jinki stood up, taking hold of Jonghyun who yelled at Joon and was starting to step up to him.

“It’s just a little cake. Stop being a drama queen.”

Joon flicked his wrist, throwing whatever frosting he had on his hand onto Jinki’s face.

“Could you please stop hitting on my boyfriend? I don’t like it.”

Everybody turned to the soft voice that spoke.

“Yah! I wasn’t hitting on him, you little piece of sh-.”

A tall boy behind the one that spoke moved forward, grabbing Joon and putting him into an arm lock, pushing his head onto the table.

“It’s okay, Minho. You can let him go.”

Jinki was completely stunned. He didn’t know what to do or say. He would recognize those cheeks anywhere. He just couldn’t figure out why after no contact for almost two years, would his best friend show up at his school?

“Baby, are you okay?”

Jinki’s eyes widened hearing Taemin call out to him. He could feel his face become red as Taemin took a napkin from the table and began removing the frosting from his face.

“Ta-Taemin. What are yo-you doing here?”

Taemin gave Jinki a bright smile before softly pecking his lips. If Jinki didn’t resemble a tomato, he certainly did now.

“It’s your birthday. I wanted to surprise you.”

Taemin finished getting all the frosting off and sat down on Jinki’s lap, putting his arms around his hyung’s neck.

“I’ve missed you so much, Hyung.”

My arm went around Taemin’s waist by instinct. He gave me a small smile before pulling me close to hug him tightly.

“I’ve missed you, too, Minnie.”

“Yah. Are you seriously dating this nerd?”

Taemin let go of me to turn around in my lap, facing Joon.

“I get that you have a thing for my boyfriend and are just angry because you realize you can’t have him, but please go bother someone else. We haven’t seen each other in a long time and you’re ruining our reunion.”

I smiled into Taemin’s back, hugging him tighter.           

Taemin smelled amazing. I could see Joon’s face turning red. I wasn’t sure if he was embarrassed or was going to start hitting something. The last time his face turned red, he screamed just before throwing a chair across the room. Key stood up from his chair, going over to Joon. Jonghyun was the one who would usually step up to Joon, but Key was the one who could actually stop him.

“Joon. Go back to your seat. And apologize to Jinki.”

Joon shook his head vigorously.

“Ani. I was just messing with him. You should get after this kid. He’s being disrespectful. And that one put me in an arm-lock.”

Key ran his hands through his hair.

“That is Taemin. He’s a new student. And this is Minho. He’s also a new student. Don’t mess with Taemin and Minho won’t bother you.”

Joon looked between the two boys just as I did. What kind of relationship did Taemin and Minho have?

“. Messing around with two guys. I didn’t know you were gay, Jinki. Guess I’m not surprised.”

Joon started laughing, one of his friends coming up to stand behind him. Minho looked like he wanted to kill Joon.

“I’m not dating Minho. He’s my bodyguard and one of my best friends. I’m only dating Jinki-hyung.”

Why would Taemin need a bodyguard? Joon began laughing again, this time his friend joining in.

“Joon. You need to apologize and then come with me to the headmaster’s office.”

Key began packing up his things, getting ready to take Joon to see the headmaster.

“Why would you need a bodyguard? Is it because you’re gay?”

I stood up, pushing Taemin behind me.

“That’s okay, Jinki-hyung. Let him talk.”

Taemin stood beside me, grabbing my hand to hold with his.

“Mir, hold that one back.”

Joon pointed at Minho and Mir instantly went over to him. Joon started walking towards us. I moved Taemin to get behind me but he stopped me, standing in front of me instead.

“I’m okay, Minho.”  

Minho nodded at Taemin. Joon was still smiling, looking down at Taemin.

“What are you going to do? Huh? Go ahead.”

Joon stopped smiling, stepping up to Taemin.

“Apologize. Now.”

I had never heard Taemin speak that way.

“No.”

Joon grabbed the collar of Taemin’s shirt to pull him closer.

Before I could move forward, Taemin’s leg moved under Joon’s, causing him to fall backwards. Mir moved forward to grab Taemin but was instead holding his bloody nose when Taemin punched him. Mir looked between Taemin and Minho before walking out of the cafeteria.

“You’re going to pay for that.”

Joon stood up, getting ready to punch Taemin. I grabbed his arm before Joon could hit him, making Joon fall onto the floor. Minho then went over to Joon, picking him up before pinning his arms behind him.

“Who the hell do you think you are?”

Joon was huffing, his face turning red again. I turned Taemin to look at me. I also wanted to know some things.

“Tae, why do you need a bodyguard?”

Taemin turned slightly red. I brought him to the table to sit back down with me.

Minho had come to sit at the table with us while Key took Joon from him and started escorting him out of the cafeteria. I moved my computer aside, along with my book bag and everything that was spilling out of it. Taemin saw my bag, his eyes going wide. He grabbed the birthday gift from Jonghyun, looking at me confused.

“Did my umma send you this?”

Huh? Why would his umma send me something?

“Ani. Wae? It’s a birthday gift from Jonghyun.”

His ears turned pink as he nodded. Taemin turned his back to me with my CD. Minho moved closer to him as Taemin began whispering to him.

“Here you go.”

He turned back around, handing me my CD. I didn’t understand what he did or why he needed to talk to Minho.

I couldn’t see anything different about the CD. I opened it, looking through the booklet. Towards the back was Minnie’s thanks to his friends and family. The artist was known to dedicate all his albums to someone special. I looked over his thanks to his best friend, noticing that there were words underneath it now. I read the words quickly, looking up at Taemin with wide eyes.

“I didn’t know you were a fan.”

His face was red.

“This was for me?” I couldn’t believe that for three years now I had been buying albums of my best friend’s songs that were always dedicated to me.

“Deh. I didn’t really go to a private school. I became a pianist. I started writing songs and making albums. I knew you liked how much I played when we would talk on our birthdays, but I didn’t think you would know who I was. I used Minnie because you would call me that when we were younger. I kept my identity a secret though.”

“Wae?”

“I didn’t know if you liked me or my playing.”

I shook my head at him, pulling him closer to me.

“I’ve had a thing for you since I was twelve. You didn’t start making albums 'til I was fifteen, I think.”

He gave me a huge smile.

“I’ve got a question for you.”

We both turned to Jonghyun who was eating one of my cupcakes.

“Deh?” Taemin moved back into my lap, snuggling against my chest.

“I’ve heard your songs, too. They’re amazing. I just want to know why you have a bodyguard if no one knows who you are.”

“Ah, that’s one of the reasons I’m back. I came back to see my best friend, but also because I’m going to be collaborating with SM Entertainment for a new album with one of their groups. I’ll be playing live at all the music shows, so I’ll be revealing who I am after keeping it a secret since my first album.”

“Chincha?”

Jonghyun looked really impressed. I didn’t know what to say. I couldn’t believe my little Minnie was famous and had called me his boyfriend. I suddenly thought about what it might mean for him to have a boyfriend.

“Taemin, if you are about to debut here, I don’t think you should be calling me your boyfriend.”

“Bwo?!”

I kept my head down, not wanting him to see my face. I felt like crying, but I didn’t want him to know that.

“I’m sorry, Taeminnie.”

He brought my face up to look at his.

“Jinki-hyung. I’ve already told the label that we have been dating for five years. They know about you and don’t care. I told them that I’ve been away from you for too long, so if they want me to collaborate, they have to accept that I will call you my boyfriend and be seen with you.”

“Omo.”

We looked at Jonghyun. He was smiling, small tears coming out of his eyes.

“Can I pick your couple name?”

I laughed at Jonghyun, nodding my head at him.

“Are you being serious, Taemin?”

He nodded his head, leaning in to give me another kiss.

“I already told your umma, too. We spoke this morning.”

“Chincha?”

“You’re so cute when you’re surprised! Of course! I hadn’t known how you really felt about me 'til I spoke to your umma this morning and then I spoke to Lee Soo Man about my contract. We signed everything this morning.”

“So when do you debut? Who are you debuting with?”

Jonghyun set his elbows on the table, moving closer to us.

“EXO, and then later on with Girls Generation.”

I knew both groups and was really impressed.

“Wow. I’ve seen the teaser photos for EXO. It seems like they will be using a y concept.”

“Deh. They will. I’ll be playing the piano while they sing and dance.”

“Wow, that sounds great. I can’t wait to watch you.”

Taemin looked at me, giving me a huge smile.

“I forgot something!”

Taemin got up and went around the table to his bag that was on the other side of Minho. He rummaged for a bit before pulling out a box. He came to sit beside me handing me the box.

“Happy Birthday, Jinki-hyung.”

I smiled and started opening the box. I could see Taemin chewing on his lip slightly. I opened the box after taking off all the wrapping. It looked like it could be a necklace but was surprised to see it was a set of couple rings. I took out a ring and grabbed Taemin’s hand to put it on him before taking the other ring and placing it on my finger.

“Thank you, Taeminnie.”

Taemin blushed, covering his face while Jonghyun laughed at us. I pulled Taemin forward, placing a small kiss on his lips.

“Jinki-oppa?”

We both turned around to see a small girl with long hair. I wanted to tell Luna to go away, but didn’t want to cause another scene. First Joon and now Luna? Why can’t I just have a peaceful birthday with my new boyfriend? Boyfriend. I loved the sound of that. I don’t think even Luna could make me down at this point. I was way too happy.

“Yes, Luna?”

“Wh-who is this?”

I smiled at Taemin, pulling him closer to me. He smiled back then looked at Luna.

“Annyeong, Noona. My name is Lee Taemin. I’m Jinki-hyung’s boyfriend.”

Luna’s eyes widened before they narrowed and she crossed her arms over her chest.

“Sure you are. Jinki-oppa, why don’t you come over to my table? I made you something special for your birthday.”

“No, Luna. I’ve already told you that I don’t want anything from you. And I’d appreciate it if you didn’t speak rudely to my boyfriend.”

“Oppa, you are not gay. What is this?”

This girl never knew when to quit.

“Jinki, your umma is here to pick you up.”

I turned around when I heard Key’s voice. Why would my mom be here?

“Bwo?”

Taemin started packing up my bag for me while Minho packed his and Taemin’s things.

“Ask her. I just saw her in the office. I told the secretary that I would come get you.”

“Come on, Jinki-hyung. I’m coming, too.”

Huh?

“What do you mean?”

Taemin laughed, giving my backpack to Minho who slung it over his shoulder.

“I spoke to your umma. She’s taking you out of school for today since it’s your birthday and because we haven’t seen each other in years. You’re coming to my place. I hope you like it. I made a room for you if you ever want to stay over.”

“Bwo?”

He made a room for me? What about his umma?

“Oh, I forgot to tell you. My umma is in Japan now, so I got a house with Minho. You can come over whenever you want or you can stay there.”

“Chincha?”

Taemin nodded his head and let me hug him.

“You two are the cutest couple!”

I let go of Taemin quickly, turning red as I looked at my umma.

“Umma, why are you here?”

“You were taking too long, so I came to see what you were doing.”

“We are about to head to the office, Umma.”

“Well, let’s go. We need to go home and pack.”

We followed my umma out of the lunch room. I could see Luna fuming as we walked by her. Jongkey were also walking with us.

“Pack? What for?”

“Silly. So you can stay at Taemin’s place.”

“Ah, right. He said he had a room for me.”

She laughed.

“I doubt you will be in the guest room, Jinki. I’m sure you will like Taemin’s room much better.”

Umma, Jonghyun, and Key all started laughing, while I turned red. Taemin had a small blush on his cheeks but didn’t say anything.

“Umma!”

“What?! You two haven’t seen each other in a long time. Taemin is graduating this year, too. So you should live together since I’m sure Taemin is going to be busy during his debut and you will be at college.”

I ran my hands through my hair. I was extremely excited. I just wished my umma wasn’t so calm about this.

“You don’t have to stay with me, Hyung.”

Taemin looked a bit sad but I could still see him blushing.

“Ani. I want to stay with you. I was just surprised hearing my umma say that.”

“Okay.”

Taemin gave me a small smile, grabbing my hand to hold with his.

“I’ve got it!”

We turned to Jonghyun. He was smiling and clapping his hand together.

“What are you talking about, babe?”

Jonghyun looked at Key, his smile getting bigger.

“Their couple name! It’s going to be Ontae. You know how we call Jinki Onew when he is being clumsy, so we put that with Tae and it makes Ontae!”

“I love it! It’s so cute!”

We all laughed at my umma, now heading outside towards the car.

“I want a picture!” Taemin smiled at Key and nodded his head, pulling me close to him to pose.

“Say Ontae!”

We both laughed at Jonghyun and smiled at the camera.

~~~~~