ONE

THE REAL SHADES OF "THAT XXX"
Please log in to read the full chapter

What has I done until I have to deserve this?

It has been a week of emotion tortures. These days will be mark red on my calendar. It’s getting harder for me to go on alone. My Note 4 keeps vibrating in long, time silent. I stare on it rigidly. Bravely, I pick up the call. The mysterious, dark voice reaches my ear for uncounted times.

“F-ck you, as-hole, stop calling me!” I curse him, trying to make him hate me more.

He answers vaguely and suddenly, I start to feel a nameless fear in myself. It comes like a great storm. Slowly, I put my Note 4 under the pillow. My eyes are close to tears. Nobody knows about my problem. Neither my father, my unnie, my friends nor my boyfriend. Living in the fear was not my favorite. It is not easy to be brave.

Last week, I received an envelope with a white paper in it with Korean font written with blood.

I love loving you, Krystal. Forever. You are mine.

From: That XXX

The envelope was on my front car mirror, under the windshield wiper blade. At first, I ignore it but it doesn’t stop. Everyday, I got the unexpected “love letter”. Sometimes, I also the mysterious calls. “That XXX” knows everything about me. He is using the public phone to call me. This “terrible nightmare” happens after Mino went to US for two weeks. Now, it was one week and I feel crazy like hell.

***

“5 minutes more.”

The Professor Ji Suk Jin voice broke the long silent. Students keeps writing and answering. Some of them just stare at nothing. I stare at my quiz paper. It was already done. Sometimes, my eyes gaze at my watch, hope for time to go fast. 3.55 PM. Tomorrow is Saturday. 5 minutes more I waste it by looking around, smiling at my course mates and looking at the slide that show

Subject: Engineering Mathematics 3 quiz

Time: 3.00 – 4.00 pm

 “Times up. Please pass up the paper now.”

He orders us. All the students quickly stand up from the chair and the noisy talk start to full the big lecturer hall. After pass up the paper quiz to Prof Suk Jin, I walk alone slowly from the lecturer hall to the student car park. Suddenly, someone grab my arm from behind. I shock and turn back.

“Krystal, heading home?” Jong In voice awakes me in surprise. I look at him and smile. His girl, Minzy also here. They were my best friends and my course mate. He releases his hand from my arm.

“Wanna join us? We want to go hook up somewhere in Seoul.” Minzy offers me, cling my arm.

“Um…Sorry… But… I am tired...” I say after a moment.

“Is something wrong with you? You’re acting weird since your boyfriend went to US.” Jong In inquires with worries. I smile, hiding the truth.

“You miss him?” Minzy asks with excitement. I purse my lips. Yes.

“That boy leaves me again.” I sigh, close my eyes in despair.

 “Don’t worry. You still have me, Krystal. I am your BFF.” Minzy says reassuringly. There is a smile again  on my lips and I try to hold on it. Hide the damn problem.

“Kai… Minji… Don’t forget about the power point part for Interior Design project. Email to me before this Sunday.” I remind them. They nod with smiles.

“Baby, let’s go!” Minzy grabs Jong In’s hand but he stops.

“Just go to the car first. I will follow you.” Jong In orders her. Minzy silently obey and walks to Jong In’s car. He just looks at her and still standing beside me.  Then, he turns to me. I wonder what he wants to tell me.

“Do you want to know something? Your boyfriend is a jerk & jerk always be a jerk.” He annoys me suddenly without a reason. I glare at him. My blood is boiling.  

“No!... He is not like that!” I say, flushing slightly.

“They say love is blind. But baby, you so blind.” He smirks with mystery at me. These words are familiar.

They say love is blind. But baby you so blind

They say love is blind. But baby you so blind

He leaves me without turning back and walk to his car. I'm silent for a few seconds, trying to remember exactly what he did say. Maybe they just are normal words. I shouldn’t take serious for his words. Approaching my car, I open the car door and sit on the driver seat. I start the engine and want to go home. My car cruises on the road and join the bloody traffic.

***

Today is Saturday. Sun burst with a great sunshine. In afternoon, I walk at the Gangnam alone. Since it is day, I am not afraid to go out alone. Wearing pink shirt and jeans, I search for some new dress to wear. While walking on the busy street, my eyes catch Jong In from far. He just went out from his smart VW car. Cheerily, I wave my hand to him. And he sees me, smiling. As I walk to him, I sure I will no longer alone for today hang out.

“Shopping?” I ask him and he nods. We walk together and stop at the restaurant, having lunch together. After that, we go to shopping in the mall. He said that Minzy has going to her parent house today. So, he plans to go out to Gangnam city alone.

“I want to enter the shop for a while. Do you want to follow me?” He suddenly points his finger to a Samsung smartphone shop as we walk beside it.

Silent, and then an answer from me. ”Ani… I will stay outside…”

 He smiles sweetly and melts my heart for a while. He glances at his watch and turn to me.

“I will be back around five minutes… You just wait here, okay?” An approximation of a smile flashes on his face.

“Aaah.” I nod hastily. He enters the shop and disappears inside it. I stand beside the shop and suddenly, a couple approaches me with a happy spirit.

“Krystal!!!” Unnie Ji Hyo calls me. Beside her is his handsome husband, Oppa Doojon. They are Ra Nia’s parents. Both of them were police. Oppa Doojon is wearing white shirt, black pant and a black coat wrapped his tall body. While Unnie Ji Hyo wearing shirt, skirt and a coat. There is police nametag at their coat. They look smart and perfect together. Perfect two.

“Annyeong haseyo.” I greet them.

 “So, where is he?... I mean, Mino…” Unnie Ji Hyo looks around, searching for his cousin. I chuckle.

“He was at US.” I answer her and she roses a smile.

“Mistal always went out together. Then, it kinda weird when you walk alone.” Oppa Doojon teases me. I smile shyly.

“Hey are you okay? You look, well, have you lost weight?” Unnie Ji Hyo inquires and it makes me shock a little bit.

“I am okay, Unnie.” I smile, hide the shock in myself. I realized I lost weight this month. Missing my boyfriend, stressed with study and disturbed by “that XXX”. Blame Mino, study and “that XXX”. Because of them, I become like this.

“Ra Nia? Where is she?” I ask them since I didn’t see they bring their lovely daughter.

“She is at kindergarten… Oh… She says she wants to meet you again…” Oppa Doojon answers.

“Last evening, Ra Nia forces us to bring her to Mino’s house.. She said that she wants to stay with oppa Mino and unnie Krystal..” Oppa Doojon adds with his little laugh. My grin wide.

“I lie to her that you and Mino are busy now… Taking care of your baby.” Unnie Ji Hyo tells and we laugh. What kind of joke is this? Ha ha.

“Unnie, what if she asks us about the baby?” I ask her, half happy, half worried.

“Easy. Just borrow someone else baby for one day.” Unnie Ji Hyo chuckles and I can’t stop laughing. Since they are here, I want to tell them about “that XXX”.

“Oppa, Unnie… there is something that I want to tell both of you…” My voice slows.

“What is it, Krystal?” Oppa Doojon asks me.

“It is… never mind…” I change my decision in sudden. They stare at me with confused expression.

“It’s okay, Krystal… You can tell us anytime if you want.”Unnie Ji Hyo says in her soft soothing voice.

“Yes… yes… sure…” I answer hesitate.

“Anything, just call us. Bye, Krystal.” Oppa Doojon says the last words. They wave me a goodbye and slowly leave me alone. I exhale in frustration. Oh no. I should tell them but I didn’t have guts! Such a stupid girl! I scold myself.

“Who are them?” Jong In voices interrupt me from behind. I turn to him. His eyes look at Oppa Doojon and Unnie Ji Hyo from far.

“She is Mino’s cousin. That guy is her husband.” I tell him. He nods but his face is unreadable. I look at him quizzically.

“They are police, huh? “His eyes are fixed on mine. Why his tone… sounds like… he doesn’t like them? Now, he is really scary me now.

I quickly make a smile on my lips. “Err… Yes!”

“Did you tell them anything?” He inquires with serious tone. I frown and didn’t answer his question. It is not important for him. In a blink, he tugs my shirt sleeve and makes me in total shock now.

“Did you tell them anything?” He repeats. His voice rise two tones. I realized that his face have a little bit of angry. We stare at each other.

“Are you deaf? Mute?” His questions make me feel annoying.

“That is not your business, Jong In.” I answer acidly. Why he curious wants to know what I talk to them? Then, calling me deaf, mute? I walk and leave him behind with angry. Beautiful hang out at Gangnam already over. He had created bad storm in my heart.

***

Finally, Mino has come back from US. And the mysterious call, the stupid crazy things end. At least, I can have a space to feel happy for a while. On one evening weekend, I come to Mino’s house. We are sitting on the cushion at the living room, watching SBS Inkigayo together.  He is telling me about his activities at US such as producing songs, music to Ikon and YG new girl group that will be release soon this year.

“What wrong with you?” He grabs my hand after look I lost in daydream. His voice sounds frustration.

“Um…. Sorry…” I say hesitate. He looks at me with a deep frown.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He asks again. I hate this question.

“Nothing.” I replied shortly.

“Sometimes, you’re frustrating me. Tell me, Krystal.” He begs. I ignore him.

“You look strange nowadays. Do you have any other guy than me?” He asks suddenly. His questions sound like a joke for me and I explode with laughs.

“Of course I didn’t!!!” I answer with a little laugh. But, he stares at me with a serious expression. Oh God. There is something wrong here.

“You always went out with Jong In lately.” Mino shoots me with his words which have a little scent of jealous. I feel shock now. Did he say he didn’t trust me? But, when he was at US, I tell him that I always bumped with Jong In at city.

 “No… I didn’t meet him but we bumped!” I answer truly, correcting his words.

“You can be friend with Key, my boys and other boys but not him….Not Jong In….” He warns me.

“No! I can’t do that!” I snap his warning. What did you just say, Mr Control Freak? I can be friends with million of boys but not Jong In? This is so weird.

“Say good-bye to him. You should never meet him again after this. I wouldn’t allow that.” He says icily. His face is obviously controlling his anger.

“What wrong with him? I allow you to be friend with Chaerin and you have to do the same for me!” I protest, carefully choose my word so that we didn’t pull in a fight.

“He obviously has feeling for you. I don’t like him.” He growls. I get it, control freak.

“Can you stop overthinking and overanalyzing?” I snap.

“I maybe psychotic but I am loyal as f-ck.” His lips broke into a smirk. Psychotic? That is a very pretty scary word. My heart starts to beat loud. He raises his hand and tucks my blonde hair behind my ear.

 “You’re mine. You’re made for me forever. I will make sure no guys will have you.” His voice low, husky. My mouth suddenly feels dry. As I want to talk, he shut my lips with his long index finger.

“My girl is my girl. Therefore, any guys shouldn’t touch, wink, wave, stare, flirt, hug, kiss, going out, shopping, and do other things they love to do for and with you. That’s my jobs. They shouldn’t mess with me.” He looks at me with a kind of possessive feelings. Oh God. My eyes widen as hearing his statement.

“What’s wrong, Mino?” I ask him. Why suddenly psycho and “no guys will have you” pop out in our conversation? He only silently looks at me. No answer for my question yet.

“Baby, please tell me,” I beg him but he just smiles.

“Nothing,” he unanswered me and in one move, he grabs me and carrying me like bride.

“This is what you get for not paying attention at my stories!” He says, laughing. I laughing out loud and circle my arms around his neck.

“Where you want to bring me?” I ask him with curious.

“My favorite moments. Me & you & bed & real conversations.” His lips forming a satisfied smile. He looks straight into my eyes. I feel myself blushing.  Still carrying me in his arms, he slowly walking upstairs and go to his bedroom

“Baby, seems like you’ve lost weight… I mean… like you don’t have proper meal…” He says as he put me on his bed. Oh My God. He pays attention about my weight!

“Um… I am on diet!” I lie with confident. He frowns, didn’t respond to my answer. Slowly, he lay beside me on the bed. His hand grabs his Note 4. He straights his arm and puts the Note 4 against of us.

“You want to post in in Instagram?” I ask him. He grin his boyish grin.

 “I want to make Jong In vomit by seeing our picture!” he says, teases. I laugh. From the front camera view, we can see our picture in the big bright screen of his Note 4.

 “Smile, baby. Looks at the camera.” He orders and snaps our picture in one click.

He shows me the picture on the Note 4 screen. “We are beautiful because we are in love.”

I blush and look at him. He smiles, gets up from the bed. “Thirsty?”

“Yes.” I answer and he walks out from the room. I walk around his room and stop beside his study table. On the table are his Mac Air ProBook and some white A4 papers. I take the papers and study it. It was lyrics songs. Wow. My boy is quite good in writing l

Please log in to read the full chapter