Someone's Special Something

Someone's Special Something
A/N: Started writing this on September 13, 2013. It was a Friday that day. Continued writing it on December 13, 2014, another Friday. And continued writing it again on June 13, 2014, also another Friday. And again on February 13, 2015, which was also a Friday. And finally finished writing it yesterday, March 13, 2015, and surprise, surprise, another Friday. Yes, I've been writing this story mostly on Friday the 13ths. I was actually supposed to post this yesterday but I forgot.
 
P.S. This oneshot was initially for a different otp and had been a work in progress for almost two years so it's really old, which means my writing style in this oneshot is kinda raw and very childish. Plus, that would mean too much cliche and failed failed failed fluff. And I was kinda writing this in a rush so some of the sentences haven't really been well thought of. I am terribly sorry for that. I could've done better with this oneshot but with school and all, this is the best that I could come up with for this material. 
 
 
---
 
 
"Don't panic, Wendy. Don't panic."
 
Today is February 13. Tomorrow is Valentines Day. And Wendy still doesn't have a gift yet for Irene.
 
"It's totally reasonable that you've been so caught up with school work that you've completely forgotten about Valentines Day. The most important day in the month of February. You have less than 24 hours to find the perfect gift for your girlfriend. You can do this, Wendy! HWAITING!"
 
Meanwhile, Seulgi stares at her friend who had been muttering to herself for quite a while now and had been cheering for herself like a crazed person.
 
"Wendy, are you okay?"
 
"YES I AM! I am perfectly okay! I am perfectly calm! And I will find the perfect gift!"
 
Seulgi sighs. "You know, Irene isn't really expecting anything extravagant."
 
"But she's someone who deserves something special!"
 
Seulgi shakes her head with another sigh. "I will never understand fools in love."
 
"You should get a girlfriend so that you'll know how great it feels, Sseul," Wendy says.
 
The bear scrunches up her face in disgust. "No thanks. If getting a girlfriend means I'll end up becoming as panicked as you are then I'll pass."
 
"I AM NOT PANICKING!"

"Yeah. Sure you're not." Seulgi rolls her eyes. "By the way, have you realized what day it is today?"
 
"Of course I have. Do you think I would be panicking right now if I had not known that I have less than 24 hours before Valentines Day?"
 
"So you do admit that you're panicking?" Seulgi smirks. But before Wendy could take back her words, Seulgi interrupts her. "That's not the point here. What I mean to say is do you know what day of the week it is today?"
 
Wendy furrows her eyebrows in confusion. "What does that have to do with anything?"
 
"Check your calendar, my dear Seungwan. I believe that it does have to do with everything."
 
Wendy takes out her phone and checks the date today. It was indeed February 13. But seeing the day of the week drained the color in Wendy's face.
 
"You mean it's--"
 
"Yes, my little shlimazl. Today is Friday the 13th," Seulgi smirks. "Good luck with finding that special something for your special someone."
 
---
 

Wendy had once concluded before that she was an unlucky person every Friday the 13th ("F13" is what Seulgi calls it in Wendy's case, saying that "Friday the 13th" was a mouthful). Most people think it's silly to believe in such a superstitious belief but it's true that a Friday the 13th doesn't pass by without some kind of misfortune happening to poor Wendy. On those dreadful days, bad luck somehow manages to follow her everywhere and she doesn't even know how or why. At home, at school, in a mall, at the park, in a restaurant, at a grocery store, on the streets. Bad luck doesn't choose where, when, or how to to strike Wendy. The girl absolutely loathes her unfortunate fate, often finding it a nuisance. Some people say that it may be just pure coincidence or that Wendy is just exaggerating. But they don't know that it naturally just comes to Wendy as if she's a magnet that attracts misfortune. Sadly, there isn't anything much that she can do to get rid of it. She can only strictly stay at home every Friday the 13th to avoid more bad luck. However, it seems that she's about to break that rule today...

 
"You know, as much as I love seeing you panic over such a small little thing, I'm still your best friend and I still worry for you. If you're too scared to go out because of bad luck then I'll be the one to find a gift for you instead."
 
"No! You can't!" Wendy objects.
 
Seulgi raises an eyebrow. "Are you implying that I don't know how to pick a gift for Valentines Day?"
 
"No, it's not like that. It's just that I need to be the one to find it. It's for Irene and it's our first Valentines Day as a couple so it has to be really special..."
 
"Again with the special something. I get it. Stop it before I get queasy. So are you gonna go out there and find it or not?"
 
Wendy sighs. "We really need to get you a girlfriend soon. And yes I am going to go out to find the perfect gift."
 
"Wait, really?" Seulgi's eyes widen. "This is the first time you're going out on F13. It's been like, what? Eleven years since you last went out on a Friday the 13th?"
 
"I'm surprised you still remember," Wendy says as she opens her closet to pick a "protective" outfit.
 
"We've been best friends since we were in 3rd Grade, of course I still remember. Hey, what are you wearing?"
 
Wendy turns to face Seulgi with a football helmet on her head. She was just about to put on the shoulder pads.
 
"Well, if I'm going to go out of the house on an F13 then I need to be prepared!"
 
"You look ridiculous," Seulgi shakes her head. "Are you sure you don't want me to get the gift instead?"
 
"I already told you, I'm gonna get it myself," Wendy replies, determined.
 
"Fine. But at least, let me go with you. You'll probably scare off the people at the mall looking that. Someone who is normal needs to accompany you."
 
Wendy smiles at her best friend. "Thanks, Sseul. I really appreciate it."
 
"Yeah yeah, you're welcome and I'm awesome. Now stop being so mushy. You know that I don't like it."
 
Wendy laughs. "I'll make sure to let your future girlfriend know about that."
 
---
 
Wendy fidgets uncomfortably as they finally enter the mall. "Are you sure about this, Seulgi?"
 
"Hey, you're the one who wanted to go here in the first place. Don't back out now. Besides, we're already here. You might as well get it over with."
 
"I'm still worried. Couldn't you have at least let me wear the helmet?"
 
Seulgi had somehow managed to coax Wendy into wearing just casual clothes and now the younger girl is nervously hugging herself protectively.
 
"No, Wendy. Nobody wears a football helmet at the mall and claims it to be 'contemporary fashion'. Just loosen up a bit, okay? Don't worry, you'll be fine. Now where do we start searching first?"
 
"Hmm, the bakery shop? Irene loves sweets."
 
"Alright, let's go then!"
 
---
 
It was a funny thing how Wendy and Irene first met, you know.
 
"I'll have this!" the two girls said at the same time while pointing to the only slice of red velvet cake left on display.
 
"I'm sorry ladies, but there's only one left."
 
Wendy rolls her eyes at the boy at the cash register. No , Sherlock.
 
"Well, I came in this bakery shop before she did so I saw it first. I'm taking it."
 
"That's not fair! I came in here already knowing what I'm going to buy. You had to stop and decide," Irene retorts.
 
"And I made my decision. I'm getting one slice of red velvet cake."
 
"No, I am."
 
"No, I am!"
 
"Ladies!" the cashier boy intervenes.
 
"What?!" the two girls shout back.
 
The cashier boy suddenly quakes in fear but clears his throat to fix the situation before it escalates into a cat fight he doesn't want to see. (He shakes his head mentally, All of this for a slice of red velvet cake? I'll never understand girls.)
 
"I... uh, I just remembered that I received a call earlier from our boss and she says that this one is already reserved for her. Yeah, that's it. It's reserved. I'm really sorry, girls."
 
Wendy and Irene sigh sadly but at least they're calmer.
 
"Would you like something else? We have other varieties of cakes," the boy tries to offer.
 
"No, thank you," they decline politely.
 
"We also serve bubble teas, if you'd like. Try the taro bubble tea, it's our specialty."
 
The two girls lighten up at that, not knowing that taro bubble was their common favorite.
 
"I'll have one," they say at the same time again. They look at each other and chuckle at their selves for being so silly.
 
"Alright, two taro bubble teas for two lovely young ladies. May I please have your names for your order?"
 
The two girls are still looking at each other and smile, not really paying attention to the cashier boy.
 
"Wendy," the slightly shorter one says.
 
"Irene," the other girl replies.
 
---
 
"So which cake goes for Irene's taste?"
 
"Anything purple."
 
Seulgi lets out a snort. "Predictable."
 
"Predictability can be a good thing sometimes, you know," Wendy responds as she looks at all the purple cakes on display. The big and expensive ones, specifically. "It has to be perfect but I hope my wallet is capable enough for perfection..." Wendy mutters to herself. But because she's too busy deciding on which cake to buy, she doesn't see the man carrying a few sacks of cake flour as he entered the bakery shop. She also fails to see that the man had tripped on his shoelaces, causing the sacks in his arms to go flying over towards Wendy's direction.
 
"Wendy, look out!" Seulgi shouts.
 
Too late.
 
Just when Wendy turns towards the direction of the flying sacks of cake flour, they had already landed on her head, knocking her to the ground in a heap of cake flour mess. Wendy coughs as she swats the flour that fell around her like snow.
 
"Oh my goodness! Are you alright, ma'am?" the shop owner asks in panic as he rushes to Wendy's side.
 
"I feel like cake," Wendy replies as she tries to dust off the cake flour off her clothes while she stands.
 
"I am terribly sorry, ma'am. Uh, to show my deepest apologies, please do pick any cake you would like! It'll be free!"
 
Wendy brightens at his offer. "Free? Really? I'll have your most delicious bestselling purple cake then!"
 
"Oh..." The man scratches his head. "Well, you see. All the cakes on display aren't actually edible. They're just for selection. Our purple cakes have ran out just this morning. These new batch of cake flour was supposed to be used for baking them. We have other cakes readily available though. How about some black forest? Or chocolate mousse? They're also bestsellers."
 
The bright expression on Wendy's face falls. Seulgi nudges her side. "Hey, aren't you going to take it?"
 
"They've ran out of purple cakes..."
 
"But he's giving a whole cake away for free! Come on, Wendy. Be practical about this."
 
Wendy sighs. "Fine. I'll have the black forest cake, sir."
 
"Right away, ma'am!" he exclaims in a hurry.
 
Wendy and Seulgi walk to the cash register, waiting for the cake to be prepared.
 
"Okay, so cakes seem like a bad idea." Seulgi says as she pats off the remaining cake flour off of Wendy's hair. "Do you have other suggestions, Miss Special Something?"
 
"How do books sound to you?"
 
---
 
The next time Wendy and Irene meet, they are at the university's library.
 
Wendy was trying to find a book she needed for her research paper while Irene was already immersed in a dystopian future novel she was reading as she sat leaning against one of the bookshelves that Wendy was sifting through.
 
Wendy had accidentally pushed one of the books on the shelf, causing it to fall on the other side. A distinct "ouch" followed by a painful groaning could be heard and Wendy immediately rushed to the other side of the bookshelf to help the injured person.
 
"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry!" she panics as she heads towards the girl holding the crown of her head. When Wendy finally kneels next to the girl, she's surprised to see the familiar face once again. "Oh, it's you!"
 
Irene looks up with the same shocked facial expression. "It would seem so."
 
"I... I didn't know you studied here."
 
"I could say the same about you," Irene says before she holds the side of her head with a small whine.
 
Wendy bites her lip and slowly tries to pat Irene's head. "Umm, does it  hurt?"
 
Irene chuckles. "A hardbound had just fallen on my head. Do you think it doesn't hurt?"
 
"I.. I m-mean, I know it does h-hurt. I was just-- I really didn't-- I'm terribly sorry, Irene-ssi!"
 
The older girl smiles at Wendy being flustered, finding it to be amusing.
 
"It's okay. It doesn't seem so bad. At least it wasn't an encyclopedia, right?" Irene says as she reaches for the fallen book and hands it over to Wendy.
 
"Uh, yeah..."
 
The air becomes quiet between them until Irene realizes something. "You remember my name huh?"
 
"Oh, yes. I just... It's not really hard to remember. Not a lot of people around here have English names."
 
"I see."
 
"Do you perhaps remember my name?" Wendy asks.
 
Irene smiles. "Of course I do, Wendy-ssi. Not a lot of people around here have argued with me for the last slice of red velvet cake."
 
Wendy blushes and plays with the edges of the book in her hands. "Look, I feel really bad for having the book fall on your head. I could treat you to a slice of red velvet cake for compensation if you want."
 
"Is this your way of asking me out on a date or are you trying to bribe me with cake?"
 
Wendy's eyes widen, afraid that Irene might get the wrong idea. "I didn't mean it that way!"
 
Irene soon realizes that Wendy has this skill of doing a variety of facial expressions that are very entertaining to watch.
 
"I'm just kidding, cupcake. I know what you mean."
 
---
 
"What kind of books does Irene like?" Seulgi asks as she browses through a few magazines on display.
 
"Dystopian future novels," Wendy replies while looking through the romance section.
 
"Huh. So much for predictability. Never thought Irene was into that kind of thing."
 
"There are a lot of things I never thought about her either until I really got to know her," Wendy responds. "Aha! This one's perfect! It's a limited collector's edition. Irene would definitely love this."
 
Seulgi turns to her friend and places the magazine back on the stand. "Which one?"
 
"Anthem by Ayn Ranz." Wendy tries to pull the book out of the shelf but it seems stuck. "What the hell..."
 
"What's wrong?"
 
"The book is stuck!" Wendy grunts as she tries to pull the book once again. But the book must be more stuck than it seems and Wendy must be stronger than she thinks because much to her pulling, the bookshelf also starts to lean forward. It wasn't long before Wendy pulled at the book with all her might, bringing the tall bookshelf along with it. The bookshelf topples over Wendy, covering her underneath an aftermath of a massive landslide of books.
 
"Wendy!" Seulgi yells as she tries to dig through the softbounds and the hardbounds.
 
Wendy ultimately resurfaces and coughs.
 
"Wendy! Thank God you're okay. I thought for a moment there you were going to die because of a bookshelf landslide."
 
"Shut up," Wendy glares as she tries to stand up.
 
"So did you get the book?"
 
"I... I lost it," she sighs sadly as she looks at the thousands of books surrounding her.
 
"Ahem."
 
Seulgi and Wendy both turn to face an ahjumma tapping her foot with a raised eyebrow at them. "Someone's going to have to clean this up. And it most certainly wouldn't be me."
 
"Seulgi?" Wendy whispers to her friend.
 
"Yeah?"
 
"You're in the track and field team, right?"
 
"I am. Why?"
 
"I think now would be a great time to put those running skills to good use!"
 
Wendy immediately grabs Seulgi's hand and runs out of the bookstore as fast they can. She heads for the next shop that comes to her mind: the toy store.
 
---
 
It's been a few months now ever since Irene and Wendy became friends. One friendly cake date eventually led to meeting around campus and even hanging out beyond school grounds. The two girls got to know each other mother and realized how opposite they are but surprisingly still hit off with each other quite well.
 
"Irene noona!" Irene turns at the sound of footsteps and smiles politely at the boy approaching her. "This is for you," the boy grins widely before presenting her a gift accompanied with a fresh bouquet of roses (That's the sixth bouquet today, Irene mentally notes). "Happy Birthday, Irene noona!"
 
Irene bows in gratitude as she accepts the present. "Thank you, Taeyong. These are lovely."
 
The boy grins even wider and waves a shy goodbye before heading off. Irene sighs as she heads towards her locker, apparently filled with even more birthday gifts from the last time she opened it this morning.
 
Today was her birthday and she's been receiving a lot of gifts from many suitors lately. But it's no surprise that a flock of boys (and girls) are fawning over Irene because she is practically one of the prettiest girls on campus. Wendy herself was included in that list of top campus crushes but she still thinks that Irene was way prettier and better than her. Speaking of which...
 
"Hey there, birthday girl."
 
Irene squeals in surprise then pouts when she finds an amused Wendy laughing behind her.
 
"Yah! Don't do that. You know how jumpy I get."
 
"And it never fails to make me laugh." Wendy smirks and nods towards the overflowing birthday cards in Irene's locker. "I see you've been receiving many overwhelming gifts today."
 
"Yeah. But no gift yet from the person I'm waiting for."
 
Wendy chuckles playfully and makes a gesture towards herself. "You don't mean me perhaps?"
 
"I do mean you, Wendy. I'm still waiting for your gift. I don't know why you're postponing it until the end of the day. Maybe you haven't even gotten a gift for me yet."
 
"Oh but my dear dear Irene, don't you trust me? You'll get your present later. Just be patient, alright? It'll be worth the wait. But for now..." Wendy reaches from behind and reveals a strange bouquet to Irene.
 
"Is that a bouquet of-- "
 
"Cabbages!" Wendy grins. "A bouquet of cabbages for our birthday girl, Baechu!"
 
"Yah!" Irene says but smiles when she takes the bouquet from Wendy. "I can't believe you'd do something like this."
 
"You don't know what else I'm willing to do for you, Irene," Wendy laughs.
 
The day goes by and when Irene returns to her apartment she finally receives her gift from Wendy which Wendy had personally picked up from Daegu. She is genuinely surprised to see her whole family sitting in the living room with huge smiles and a loud "Surprise!". She runs to hug them all when Wendy comes out of the kitchen while holding a birthday cake for Irene to blow. Once they had finished singing happy birthday and the birthday girl had blown the candles, Irene immediately hits Wendy's arm playfully then hugs her.
 
"I can't believe you'd do something like this," she repeats what she had told Wendy at school.
 
"I already told you, you don't know what I'm willing to do for you."
 
---
 
"Wendy, what the hell are we doing here?! You know how much I dislike all things fluffy!"
 
"Shhh! The ahjumma might find us!"
 
The two girls crouch lower, hiding behind life-sized teddy bears. Wendy cautiously takes a peek to see if the ahjumma was gone and was glad to see that the coast was clear.
 
"Okay, she's gone. Now we just have to--"
 
"Excuse me."
 
Wendy and Seulgi turn towards the voice, apparently belonging to a tall girl who was probably around Seulgi's own height. And it seemed like she was working at the toy store, judging by the name tag "Hi! I'm Joy. How may I help you?" pinned on her shirt. Not to mention the cute green fluffy uniform she wore. She didn't seem too happy about it though.
 
"What are you two doing?"
 
"Um... we're, uh... looking for a teddy bear! Yes, yes, we're looking for a teddy bear for my friend over here," Wendy says as she pushes a zoned out Seulgi forward.
 
The employee looks at them with doubt. "From what I'm seeing, it seems as if you two were hiding from that annoyed ahjumma who just came in here a few minutes ago."
 
"N-No we're not! Tell her, Sseul!"
 
Seulgi, who still remains frozen in place, stares blankly at the young employee (How could anyone look that impossibly pretty in such a fluffy uniform? Seulgi asks to herself. Am I actually finding this fluffiness to be cute?!). She doesn't seem to hear Wendy's words and just ends up making incoherent words.
 
"I... you are... um... fluffy... too much... cute... teddy bear..."
 
"Is your friend alright?" Joy asks.
 
Wendy glances at Seulgi's panicked face and resists the urge to smirk. "Um, yeah. She's fine. Just a little bit... awestruck."
 
Joy shakes her head. "Well, if you two aren't going to buy anything here then I'm going to have to ask the both of you to leave."
 
"NO!" The shout surprisingly comes from Seulgi. Realizing what she just did, the bear begins to stutter a response. "Um, I m-mean. Do y-you mind showing me around the s-store? I'm interested in collecting, uh, teddy bears and I was hoping to find a new one to add to my collection."
 
The employee looks skeptical but agrees to tour Seulgi around. Before Seulgi joins with Joy, Wendy pulls her best friend aside.
 
"You're leaving me alone?!" Wendy whispers frantically.
 
"Relax, will you? You're surrounded by fluffy harmless stuffed toys. Surely nothing will harm you. Besides, I just gave you more time to look around to find your gift for Irene," Seulgi shrugs and rushes off to Joy's side before Wendy could pull her back. The Canadian girl sighs when the two girls had left.
 
"Well, she's right. These are just stuffed toys. What could possibly go wrong?" Wendy thought positively.
 
Well, that's what she thought.
 
When Wendy looked around the endless stuffed toys from aisle to aisle, she finally found a special something for Irene. It was a giant adorable stuffed toy in the form of a green leafy fluffy cabbage.
 
"This is perfect!" she exclaims happily as she runs to hug the large plushie, feeling proud of herself because no such bad luck had happened to her so far in the store.
 
Wendy was about to go to the cashier, victorious. But that was until she felt a small tug on the stuffed toy. She looks down and finds a little girl pouting cutely.
 
"Aww, what can I do for you little girl?" Wendy asks with a smile.
 
"Unnie, I want this cabbage."
 
"What? B-But I got it first..."
 
"Please, unnie? I really really want it." The little girl pouts even more and bats her eyelashes a few more times.
 
Wendy couldn't possibly resist that aegyo.
 
"I... well... uh... no! I got this first. I'm sorry, kid."
 
Wendy had already turned her back and was walking towards the cashier but stops in her tracks when she hears a loud shriek from behind. She turns around and sees the little girl bawling her tears out. Wendy contemplates for a moment, but rushes to the little girl when people started staring at her with judging looks.
 
"D-Don't cry, little girl! Okay f-fine, here. Take the plushie, it's yours." She hesitantly gives the cabbage plushie before the little girl momentarily stops crying.
 
"Thank you, unnie," the little girl smiles with a sniffle.
 
"Yeah, yeah..." Wendy then turns and wills herself to leave. But after a few moments of thinking she faces the little girl again and snatches the giant cabbage out of her hands. "Nah, you know what, I changed my mind. I need that for my girlfriend."
 
"No! This is mine!" the little girl shouts.
 
"I need it!" Wendy shouts back.
 
The two end up in a tug-of-war between the cabbage, pulling it back and forth until the little girl takes out a can of pepper spray and sprays it in Wendy's direction.
 
"What the hell?!" Wendy stumbles backwards momentarily blinded but successfully manages the to pry the plushie off of the little girl's hands. The little girl cries again and Wendy tries to block it out. She gets ready to run to the cashier, despite her eyes stinging from the pepper spray, but is stopped by a tall figure blocking her way. She looks up to see an intimidating unnie scowling at her.
 
"And where do you think you're going with my little sister's stuffed toy?"
 
"Oh, uh nowhere." Wendy hurriedly pushes the giant cabbage back in the little girl's hands. "I was just about to go. Somewhere far from here."
 
She runs off and frantically searches for Seulgi, finding her still with Joy somewhere in another teddy bear aisle.
 
"It's time to go, Seulgi!" Wendy exclaims, dragging her bear friend by the wrist.
 
"B-But I haven't gotten Joy's number yet!" Seulgi whines as they leave the toy store.
 
---
 
The trip at the mall goes on but only to encounter more bad luck. At least on Wendy's part. Seulgi seemed to remain completely fine but only with the few occasional complaints about how she wasn't able to score a date with Joy before they left the toy shop.
 
"Hey, Wendy. The mall's gonna close soon," Seulgi points out in the direction of the shops that were already closing for the day.
 
"But I haven't found the special something for Irene yet." Wendy frowns. "I don't even have the black forest cake anymore because we had to give it up to the boy at the store who saw us accidentally break a few pieces of glassware."
 
"Yah! I already told you not to reach for the glass figure on the top shelf because you couldn't reach it but you insisted that you could."
 
"Fine, I'm sorry for not being as tall as you but that's not important now. It's only three hours before Valentines Day and I still don't have a gift."
 
"Well, we better get moving and find it somewhere else. The shops here are already closed," Seulgi said as she ushered the sulking girl out of the mall and headed towards the bus stop.
 
"Where are we going, Seul? There wouldn't be any stores that are open right now except maybe convenience stores."
 
"I know a small gift shop near school. My cousin works there. It's probably still open."
 
---
 
The clock on the nightstand showed 2:51 AM when Wendy was awoken by the sudden sound of Irene's cry.
 
"NO! WENDY!" Irene yelled, sitting up in perspiration, her breathing uneven and rapid.
 
Wendy wasn't supposed to be in Irene's apartment, sleeping on Irene's bed. But here she was because the older girl had insisted her on staying over for the night because of the storm.
 
"Hey, Irene. What's wrong?" Wendy asks concernedly while taking the trembling girl into her arms.
 
"I had a n-nightmare," Irene cried. "It... It was d-dark but there was a road and you were there at the end. I ran after you but I could never reach you. I realized that you were running away from me. Wendy, you were leaving me! Why would you leave me, Wendy? Why?" Irene tried to choke back her tears but her breathing remained unsteady.
 
"Shh shh shh, it didn't happen. It wasn't real. Don't cry now, Irene. It wasn't real, okay?" Wendy hushed in hopes of calming the older girl.
 
"But it seemed so real, Wendy. I thought I really lost you."
 
"Hey, you didn't lose me. I'm here, right? Look at me, Irene." Wendy cups Irene's face delicately and looks at her intently. "It was just a bad dream. I'm here. I'm real. And I'm not gonna leave you."
 
Irene continues to sob but she stares back at Wendy with faith and trust (and was that a glint of love?) in her eyes. Wendy swears at that moment that Irene wasn't just any normal human being because she still looked beautiful despite the tears.
 
"Promise me you won't leave me?" Irene whispers, asking for assurance.
 
"I promise," Wendy says without hesitation. "How could I ever leave you when I love you so much..."
 
A soft gasp escapes through Irene's lips and her eyes widen a bit.
 
"I honestly don't know how long I've been feeling this way," Wendy starts nervously when Irene doesn't respond. "But it's been a while since I've realized that I love you. I didn't want to tell you because I know things could get awkward and I was scared and I-- "
 
A pair of lips cut off the rest of Wendy's words. After a few moments, a pair of arms sleepily bring her back down on the bed. And before they finally drifted off back to sleep, a pair of "I love you"s were exchanged.
 
---
 
Wendy and Seulgi both arrive at the gift shop somehow without the unlucky girl running into anymore misfortune. The small shop already has a sign that says "Closed" but Seulgi still knocks on the door anyway.
 
"Hey, Yeri? Is the shop still open? Come on, let us in."
 
After a few minutes of continuous knocking the lights inside the shop brighten up and a young girl opens the door only to glare at Seulgi.
 
"Yah, Seulgi unnie! Grandma's gonna get mad at you for almost waking her up. Can't you read the sign? It says we're already closed. What are you doing here at this time of the night anyway?"
 
"My unlucky best friend here is looking for a Valentines gift for her girlfriend. Think you could help her out?"
 
The girl named Yeri looks at Wendy and smiles brightly. "So you're my stupid unnie's best friend, huh? Wendy unnie, right? Seulgi unnie has told me a lot about you. I can't believe she's only introducing you to me just now."
 
"Yeri, just let us in," Seulgi groans impatiently.
 
"Alright fine! But I'm only doing this because I want to help Wendy unnie." Yeri opens the door wider for the two unnies. Wendy looks around the humble gift shop and instantly feels safe, as if there wasn't any form of misfortune that could happen to her here. There wasn't anything grand about the shop but it was cozy and had that homey feel to it.
 
"Feel free to look around, Wendy unnie. We don't have much but these gifts could mean very special to people."
 
Seulgi snorts and makes a comment which makes Yeri reach for the feather duster and hit it on Seulgi's head. As the two cousins continue to bicker at each other, Wendy goes to the far end of the shop when something catches her eye and sparks her interest. She picks up the item from the shelf and smiles because she knows that she found the gift for Irene.
 
"I'll be buying this one, Yeri."
 
---
 
When Wendy finally arrives home after a long day of bad luck, she is surprised to see Irene sitting on the couch. She almost forgot that she gave her spare keys to the apartment.
 
"Irene?"
 
"Wendy! Where have you been? I've been texting you the whole day but you weren't replying so I came by here because I was so worried about you." Irene runs to greet Wendy at the front door, surprised to see her dripping wet.

"What happened to you? It wasn't even raining outside!" Irene says worriedly as she gets a towel before wrapping it around Wendy.

"There was this stupid firetruck when I was walking home. One of its hoses broke off and lost control then it drenched me with water." Wendy explains as she tried to dry herself.

Irene shakes her head, following Wendy who sat on the couch. "Why weren't you replying to my text messages then?"
 
Wendy takes out her cellphone from her pocket and shows it to Irene. "The battery died out on me this morning."

"But you charge it every night."

"It's Friday the 13th today. My misfortune had been following me everywhere the whole day." Wendy shrugs.
 
"Oh Wendy," Irene sighs. She went to Wendy's side and held on to the unlucky girl's white shirt. "Here. Let's get you out of these wet clothes. You might catch a cold." Irene suggests, tugging upwards at the hem of Wendy's shirt.

"Achoo!" Wendy sneezes and sniffles. "Too late, unnie. I think I already did."

"Oh dear. Get undressed while I get your clothes." Irene hands Wendy the tissue box and goes to Wendy's room to fetch a new set of clothes for her. When she goes back in the living room, Wendy was still in her wet clothes.
 
"I thought I told you to take off your wet clothes," Irene questions with a raised eyebrow.

"I'd rather you take them off for me." Wendy smirks mischievously.

Irene glares at her girlfriend and throws the dry clothes on her lap. "Wendy, I'm serious. You already have a cold. We wouldn't want you to get any sicker than you already are."

"Fine," Wendy grumbles before starting to undress.

"Come to bed when you're done changing and get some rest."

"Mmm,"

After changing into the dry clothes that Irene gave her, Wendy heads for her bedroom and sees Irene already in bed. She falls right next to her girlfriend and sighs in relief at the comfort of the cozy bed.

"Thank God this day is almost done."

Irene giggles and twirls a lock of Wendy's hair playfully. "Why are you so grumpy today?"
 
"Hmm, I don't know. Let's see. Today is the 13th, and it's Friday, so that makes it a Friday the 13th. I've been having a lot of bad luck the moment I woke up this morning. And this is, by far, the worst Friday the 13th I've ever had. What makes you think that I'm so grumpy today?" Wendy comments sarcastically.

"Aww my poor baby~" Irene coos as she laughs. "But why were you out though? I thought you don't go out on a Friday the 13th?"

"Well... you see..." Wendy scratches her neck, unsure how to explain her situation. She sighs and decides to be honest with Irene.
 
The younger girl sits up from the bed and goes to retrieve the gift from her bag before returning to Irene's side who was already sitting up on the bed.
 
"I was supposed to give this to you tomorrow but... here." Wendy places the box in Irene's hands. "Joohyun, the truth is that I was out buying you a gift because I was too busy with school work to realize that Valentines Day was only a few days away. I'm really sorry, Hyun-ah."
 
Irene then opens the box and lets out a small gasp when she sees what was inside. It was a beautiful necklace with a small purple dream catcher attached to it. Wendy reaches for it and sets aside Irene's hair to clasp the necklace around her neck.
 
"I know it isn't much. But it was the best that I could get with my bad luck tailing around me the whole day. I really did want to give you something special, Joohyun. Because you deserve to be treated special and you deserve the best things in life and I just want to give all of that to yo-- "
 
And just like their first kiss, Wendy's constant babbling is stopped when Irene's lips met with hers. After a few moments, Irene chuckles and pulls away so that she can see Wendy's face.
 
"You talk too much, Son Seungwan. Look, I don't need flowers, or teddy bears, or chocolates, or any of those other typical Valentine gifts. And don't say that this gift isn't special enough because it is. You could have given me a rock and I would still gladly accept it. But you're all that I want and all that I need for Valentines Day. You've always been my special something, Wan-ah."
 
At that moment, Wendy knew that she was lucky. No, she was blessed. She feels so happy to have Irene.
 
"Did you really mean that?"
 
"What?"
 
"That you'd still accept my gift even if I just gave you a rock?" Wendy chuckles.
 
Irene looks at the necklace around her neck and admires it. "Well... yeah, I guess. Or... not really. But I mean, I'm totally love this necklace, you know. It's way better than a rock."

Wendy laughs once again then smiles, "I guess I'm not so unlucky today after all."

"And why is that?"

"Because I have you as my girlfriend who still accepts me and my flaws and who still loves me at the end of the day."

Irene blushes and looks away shyly.
 
"But I think I can come up with an even better Valentines Day gift. Or pre-Valentines Day gift if you still want another gift tomorrow," Wendy suggests, a hint of playfulness in her voice.
 
"What do you me-- " Irene gasps when she suddenly felt a hand going under her shirt. "Wan-ah, what are you d-doing?" she asks in a quivering voice, secretly enjoying Wendy's hot and ghostly touches.

Wendy smirks cheekily. "Well, after my endless misfortune on this very unlucky day I thought that it's about time that I get lucky."
 
 
END
 
 
A/N: Happy Friday the 13th and Happy Valentines Day.
 
*Side note: Credits of the title idea goes to a follower of mine on Twitter. I'm sorry I've forgotten your username :(
*Another side note: "I'm just kidding, cupcake. I know what you mean." CARMILLA IS INFLUENCING ME SO MUCH NOWADAYS.
*Another other side note: That first flashback of Wendy and Irene in the bakery shop is strongly similar to thunder_chan's oneshot which I requested for him/her to write back then. I don't intend to plagiarize but I just had to use that encounter because it had fit the story plot T^T If it bothers you guys then I could take down the story.