The Show

Luminous

It was the night of the ball. People came from far and wide to attend the splendid event, which only took place once a year. Invitations had been sent a month prior to nobles far and wide, who immediately began to pull their best clothing from closets and armoires. Corsets were tied tightly, hats were embroidered with lace and silk, horses were groomed and harnessed, and squeaking carriage wheels were replaced.

This year, just like every other, the ball fell on a warm summer night with a light breeze. The castle gardens were grand, full of flowers in every hue imaginable; roses; wisteria; lilies; tulips; cosmos; a plethora of bright petals.

Of all the astounding attractions that would take place, the one that was most highly anticipated was be the performance. Every year there was a new performer, hired personally by the King and Queen. It would happen when the ballroom was at its fullest, and a few rounds of drinks had already been served. In previous years there had been graceful acrobats, elegant contortionists, beautiful dancers, all of which had one thing in common. Throughout their performances, none of them had uttered a single word. The mysterious air of it all was what fascinated people to no extent.

As the night went on, the orchestra continued to play and handsome men continued to dance with beautiful women. The finest wine was served in the clearest crystal glasses. Guests strolled through the garden, admiring the flowers and fountains it offered.

The orchestra ended a slow, melodious piece. The lights dimmed with the decrescendo of the final note.

Voices were lowered and hushed whispers filled the room. As if by magical force, those in the center of the large, round space cleared a circle.

Two young men stepped onto the impromptu stage at opposite sides. The slightly taller gentleman wore pure white, with a single blue rose tucked into his pocket. His name was Lee Sungyeol. The other was dressed in pure black, a single red rose as decoration. Kim Myungsoo. They shared a mysterious smile and a brief bow before straightening themselves, ready to start the show.

The man in white removed his gloves, throwing them into the air. Spectators watched in amazement as they transformed into white doves, which flew around the room with gentle coos.

In turn, the man in black removed his own gloves and mimicked Sungyeol's action. In the air, they turned into a single jet-black raven which soared above the crowd with elegance hard to achieve. The birds glided through the air in a flurry of black and white feathers before flying through the windows and out of view.

The audience turned their attention back to the two illusionists.

With a flourish of his hand, Sungyeol produced a beam of blue light. It swirled slowly towards Myungsoo, who quickly shot strings of red light from his fingertips.

The two rays met halfway, swirling upwards tighter and tighter together until they formed a single orb that illuminated the room in a violet glow. The light stopped flowing from both males' hands, winding into the glowing mass like yarn.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol looked around at the crowd before making a grand gesture, causing the light to burst into millions of tiny specks that shimmered and drifted down over the people like fairy dust, slowly disintegrating as they neared the ground.

Both of the young men began to swirl light into butterflies and flower petals that fluttered through the room, glowing azure, navy, rose, crimson, and the occasional lilac or indigo. Sparks flew from their hands and floated through the air like fireflies.

The entire ballroom was in utter awe, faces turned upwards to watch the show in the air. It stayed like that for a few minutes, mesmerizing, hypnotizing, before all of the wonderful creations began to dim until they flickered out completely.

When the people lowered their gazes once more, the illusionists had vanished.