An Unpleasant Suprise

Oh My God

Jung Daehyun was a happy man. He was smart, went to a great college, and most importantly, had a loving boyfriend, Yoo Youngjae. No one cared, no one judged them, and his life was good in general.

He woke up to sunlight peeking into his college dorm from a crack in the curtains. It was Sunday, and he had no classes to worry about. Everything was peaceful and quiet.

As Daehyun came to his senses, he realized he had his arms wrapped tightly around his boyfriend, who was still sleeping. However, something felt off. For some reason, Youngjae didn't quite fit in his arms... And now that he thought about it, it didn't even feel like him...

No, Daehyun panicked, No, there is no way! 

He cracked his eyes open, afraid of what he would see, and sure enough, whoever that was sleeping beside him was not Youngjae. Even worse, it was a woman. 

Scrambling away from her, he stared, wide eyed with shock. She had short black hair and was turned away from him so that he couldn't see her face. From the back of her head, she could've been mistaken for a man, but her body was slim and curvy. His blanket was draped around her slender waist. Everything about her screamed female. 

Did I get drunk at a club last night? Daehyun thought frantically. He certainly did not feel hung-over, and plus, the last time he went to a club was over a month ago with Youngjae. Speaking of Youngjae, he was nowhere to be seen, which was strange because they shared a dorm room. He replayed what he could from the night before in his head. They had just finished taken their finals, so he had gone home and cooked up a nice dinner for himself and his boyfriend. They had then gone to bed earlier than normal, exhausted from finals week. And when he woke up... there was a stranger in his bed. I must be dreaming Daehyun sighed at himself for not considering it earlier. He had to be. Nothing that happened so far that morning made sense. He pinched himself hard on the cheek, almost certain that it wasn't real. However, when his eyes started watering at the sting of pain, he knew it was real. 

Suddenly, Daehyun tensed up. Did anything happen during the night? What if they...

Quickly, Daehyun gave himself and the woman a once over, relaxing slightly when he saw that they were both fully clothed. All of the sudden, a groan escaped from the woman’s mouth and she rolled over towards him. Instinctively, Daehyun turned away from her, cursing himself for being so cowardly. There was no way he was ready to face her yet. He didn’t even know who she was! And if it turned out he did, things would get awkward fast. Also, he couldn’t to explain to her how she had ended up in his bed, because even he had no idea how things turned out the way they did. Maybe he could bull his way through it all, since he was positive it wasn’t his fault. Honesty was always the correct thing to do, right? And if that didn't work... He didn't want to think about it. Daehyun took a deep breath to calm himself and shook his head free of worries.

He turned back around slowly, still slightly afraid look, and was met with the sight of Youngjae... Wait, what?

His eyes... No, her eyes were still closed, thankfully, but she looked like a carbon copy of his boyfriend. It was as if his facial features had softened and his chin had slimmed down. Briefly, he wondered if it was Youngjae's twin sister, but dismissed the thought just as quickly. He didn't even have a sister. It was somehow Youngjae. It had to be. There was no other explanation.

Youngjae's eyes fluttered open and he yawned, stretching like a cat. Daehyun was frozen on the spot, unable to move, as Youngjae's eyes focused on him.

"What's wrong Daehyunnie?" He looked at Daehyun curiously, "You're staring at me like I've grown a second head."

"N-no, it's worse than that," Daehyun shakily pointed at the mirror on the opposite side of the room. Youngjae followed his finger and...

"Oh my god."


Daehyun was sprawled across the bed while Youngjae paced back and forth across the room, both unsure about what to do. 

Apparently Youngjae switched genders while he (or was it she?) was asleep. Yes, he went to sleep male and woke up female. Some uncanny had happened in the middle of the night and they were confused as hell. Both of them were biology majors, and as far as they were concerned, Youngjae's sudden gender switch completely defied all science.

Youngjae stopped pacing and examined himself in the mirror for the hundredth time since they woke up. Although his hair was still the same length as before and his face hadn't changed much, he looked much more feminine. Also, his shoulders had narrowed considerably and he had lost a few centimeters of his height. His pajamas hung loosely on his slim frame. 

Pushing himself up from the bed, Daehyun said, "Assuming you're going to be stuck like this for a while, people are going to notice sooner or later."

"What do you suppose we do then?! It’s only 6 am, but our friends are going to start looking for us soon. What if they find out?" Youngjae almost screeched. Frankly, he was a lot more freaked out than Daehyun, seeing he was the one who was now somehow biologically female.

"Then we gotta do something about it. First off, you need chest bindings." 

Daehyun pointed at Youngjae's newly acquired s. Youngjae blushed and crossed his arms over his chest self consciously. 

"You're a bit shorter now, so you’ll need shoe lifts. Also, you're gonna have to wear baggy clothes for a while. And finally, your voice. Right now, you don't sound female or male, but rather, in between for some reason. Try to make your voice deeper; it isn't deep enough compared to your normal voice." 

Youngjae nodded. He was about to go back to his pacing before he froze. His face paled.

"What?"

"I-I h-have to go pee..."

Daehyun stared at Youngjae, who stared back fearfully. 

"Let's... Not think about it."

"But I really need to..." 

"..."

"..."

"Then just go already!"

As Youngjae rushed off to the bathroom, Daehyun started digging through his drawers and closets, looking for materials to make what they needed out of. 

When Youngjae finished his business, they changed out of their pajamas. Daehyun decided to wear jeans and a simple jacket over a white shirt. Youngjae chose a thin and loose fitting sweater. He also stuffed Daehyun's handmade shoe lifts into his shoes. They were really uncomfortable, but they would have to do.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, and Daehyun and Youngjae nearly jumped out of their skins. It was Sunday morning, and since there were no classes, no one was ever up that early. Except for them... And a certain Kim Himchan. 

"Heyyy~ Wake up guys, I'm bored," he yelled, voice muffled by the door. "Wanna go get some coffee? Hyung's treat!"

Youngjae's eyes widened. 

"." 

"Yah, hurry up and find a disguise or something. Hyung'll freak!" Daehyun hissed to Youngjae.

"Like what?"

"I don't know! A mask. A hat. Anything!"

"But—"

"Then go hide!"

"But—"

"Then go find something!"

After much scrambling around, Daehyun finally cracked the door open, revealing an annoyed Himchan tapping his foot impatiently. Youngjae peeked out from behind Daehyun's shoulder, bundled up in scarf, the lower half of his face covered by a mask. Himchan raised an eyebrow at their nervous looks and sighed. 

"What took you guys so long? Awake now?" When they nodded, Himchan grinned, "Good. I've been dying to get my coffee all morning."

Daehyun and Youngjae slipped on their shoes and joined Himchan outside. Youngjae wobbled a bit, but regained him balance quickly. Daehyun caught his arm, looking at him worriedly, but he waved him off. After all, he had a ton of makeshift shoe lifts stuffed into his shoes to compensate for his lost height, and he would have to deal with it.

The three walked to a nearby coffee shop in a comfortable silence. It was early morning, so the shop was pretty much empty. They made their way over to the counter to order, where a lone employee was dozing off. 

Himchan cleared his throat uncertainly. "Um, excuse me?"

The employee's head snapped up, her eyes widening at the sight of the newcomers. "A-ah! Sorry. What would you like today?" 

"Hmm, an Americano and...?" Himchan looked over at Youngjae and Daehyun. 

"A peppermint mocha..." 

"And a cappuccino, please." 

"Alright, just a moment." 

After paying, the three made their way, coffee cups in hand, over to a table in one of the corners of the shop and sat down. Youngjae unhooked the mask from one of his ears to take of sip of his coffee.

"Youngjae, why do you have a scarf and a mask on?"

"O-oh, I'm kind of sick," Youngjae stuttered, giving an unconvincing cough. Daehyun nodded fervently in agreement.

"Why do you need a scarf then? It's spring already. Hiding something? Like a hickie? Don't tell me last night you two..." Himchan wiggled his eyebrows at the pair suggestively. Both of them blushed a deep shade of red. 

"Hyung!"

"Come on, you guys did something right? Right?" 

"No!" Daehyun protested, "That's none of your business!"

"Yea! It's just that I tend to get cold easily when I'm sick, you know? And plus, even though it's spring, it's not that warm out yet," Youngjae added.

Himchan still didn't look very convinced, but to the relief of Daehyun and Youngjae, he dropped the subject. 

"So, how's life?"

"Eh. The usual," Daehyun shrugged, "Classes, homework, stuff."

"Seriously? No dates? No nothing?"

"Well, it was finals last week, so we didn't have any time to do anything." 

"It's not finals this week though. Come on, tell me! You're life can't be that boring."

"But it is!"

"Really now."

Youngjae and Daehyun shifted uncomfortably in their seats. There was no way they could tell him about Youngjae's... situation. Seeing their tense faces, Himchan smirked.

"Then I wonder why you both look like you're hiding something. Anything special going on between you two?"

"We never bother you about your private life with your boyfriend!" 

He stiffened, "For the millionth time, Yongguk and I are not dating."

"I never said you and Yongguk-hyung were..."

"Shut up! How were finals?" Himchan said, changing the topic.

"Meh." 

"By the way, what'd you guys get on your bio one? I got 87," Himchan puffed his chest out proudly.

"92."

"95."

Immediately he deflated. 

"It’s okay hyung, study harder next time," Daehyun patted Himchan's back, just to be swatted away by him.

"It's not my fault you two are smartasses!"

"Well it's not our fault you only studied the night before!" 

"Correction: the minute before."

"Exactly!"

"But I thought I did pretty damn good!"

"You could've done better."

"Pshh, whatever."

Suddenly, Himchan reached towards Youngjae and yanked off his scarf. 

"Eek!"

Youngjae's hands flew over his mouth, mortified by the totally not manly and very feminine voice that had slipped out. He had relaxed too much, caught off guard by Himchan's sudden action. Daehyun looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up and Himchan just stared, scarf completely forgotten in his hand.

"Youngjae... Are you okay?"

"Uhh.. T-that was..." 

"Drag queen," Daehyun supplied hurriedly, "Youngjae's been quite into drag lately, and he's been working on his voice, you know!"

"Ohhh, so that's why your voice sounded so off. I thought it was because you were sick!" 

"..."

"Wow. No wonder you look kind of womanly today! D'you use makeup? It looks so professional, I can't even tell it's fake. Someday you gotta teach me how you do that, cus you see?" Himchan pointed to a barely noticeable blemish on his cheek. "My skin isn't that great, and if I can cover it up without anyone noticing, then that would be awesome!"

"Um, yea. Sorry hyung, but I think we gotta go. Forgot to do some of my homework!"

"But it's Sunday morning. You have the entire day left."

"No, it's a reaaallly big project!"

"Daehyun too?"

"He's helping me."

"What about me? I'll be lonely."

"Go find Yongguk-hyung or something. Bye!"

Youngjae snatched his scarf out of Himchan's hands and dragged Daehyun out of the coffee shop, leaving Himchan to pout over his cooling coffee. 

As they walked back to their dorm, Youngjae hissed to Daehyun, "What the hell Daehyun? A drag queen? Seriously? Couldn't you think of a better idea?"

"What did you expect me to do?" Daehyun hissed back, "'Oh he switched genders overnight' or 'I woke up this morning and Youngjae was a girl!' Unless you can come up with a better idea, you shouldn't be complaining."

"But now Himchan-hyung thinks I want to be a drag queen! And you know how much he gossips!"

"Maybe the reason why you switched was cus you actually want to be one."

"No I don't."

"Really."

"Really!"

"How do you know?"

"Because. I'm am not interested in it."

"You might unconsciously—" 

"Jung Daehyun! Now's not the time to be joking around. I'm in a very. Serious. Situation. And I need to get out of it!"

"But what if I don't want you to? You're pretty cute as a girl. I actually don't think I would mind having you as a girlfriend instead."

Youngjae scowled and Daehyun playfully swung his arm over his boyfriend's shoulders. 

"Lighten up, will you? Let's just go back to the dorm. Staying out here won't do us much good."

"Yeah. And my feet hurt like hell."

Daehyun laughed, "Sorry 'bout that. Neither of us ever needed proper shoe lifts."

"It's fine. Just buy me some real ones later."

"'Kay."

Sadly for them, they ran into Jongup, Junhong, and Yongguk. And of course, said trio had no plans to ignore them. 

"Hi hyungs~" Junhong waved at them brightly and rolled over on his beloved skateboard. Jongup and Yongguk followed closely behind, jogging. 

"Hey," Youngjae waved back.

"What's up?" Daehyun asked. Junhong shrugged.

"Nothing much. Jongup and I want to go off campus today and take a break you know? After finals and all. And since Yongguk-hyung," he glared pointedly Yongguk, who flashed him a gummy smile sheepishly, "already has plans, we're going to drag you two along with us."

"Speaking of plans," Yongguk interrupted, "I'm meeting up with Himchan later. Have you seen him around?" 

"Oh yea, he's at the coffee shop... Well, at least he was."

"I might as well check. I'll get going now then. Thanks!" 

"Yup." 

Yongguk broke off from their little group and headed towards the shop, in search of Himchan. Junhong cleared his throat. "So anyway... You in?" 

"Sorry, but Youngjae and I are busy today too," Daehyun lied. After the whole incident with Himchan, he wasn't willing to risk anything.

"Why?"

"Homework."

"You can always finish it later." 

"It's due tomorrow!"

"So?"

Daehyun rubbed his temples and Youngjae groaned, "We, unlike you, prefer not to procrastinate and do things last minute." 

"And plus," Daehyun added, "don't you two have work to do too?"

"Yea... But if we can manage, so can you!" Jongup argued.

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"But—"

"No."

"Oh fine," Jongup's normally smiling face fell.

Immediately, Daehyun felt bad. Jongup somehow had the power to win over everyone, one way or another. He sighed. "We'll hang out with you guys later, okay? Promise!"

Jongup's face lit up again and Junhong grinned too. "Alright, see ya!"

"Bye!"

The two ran off, Junhong on his skateboard and Jongup running behind, wining at the younger to slow down. Youngjae and Daehyun both breathed out a sigh of relief. 

"Phew, they're sure persistent, aren't they?"

"Right?"

"Come on, let's go."

Daehyun nodded and intertwined their fingers together. As he walked back to the dorm, hand in hand with Youngjae, he wondered how long the other was going to be stuck like that.


Wow. It was supposed to be a one shot, but it started getting long and ending it here just didn't feel right. Anyway, I really don't know when the next chapter will be up. I'm really inconsistent when it comes to these things, so it could range from 2 days to 2 months (or even 2 years, but I'm hoping that won't happen). 

And, btw, I know nothing about college life, so I kind of just made up their schedule as I went… It would’ve been easier for me to do high school AU, but then they would be a bit too young…

Anyway, thanks for reading! Constructive criticism always welcome :)