Or Running Away

Loving, Thousand Years More

 

       To say the engagement party is at an appropriate time of the month would have been understated. For people with busy schedule, it is. And Donghae says he's totally fine with it since he decides to lengthen the event for those who might show up later like Heechul and Henry (which isn't a relatable solution). And the irony of it all, Hankyung, Zhoumi and Sungmin are the last guest that came to the summer house. They are all arriving in Zhoumi's white car, cherry smile all over their features despite the night has reaches its' peak.

       "What, you guys teaming up for I'm not being in advanced about this?" Donghae exclaims, totally flummoxed.

       "It's a lesson," Sungmin comments, taking a seat beside Yesung while his right hand balancing a plate of delicacies.

       Donghae feels like he's back in his childhood days, defending his toys. "I would have told you sooner but this guy-partner," he squeezes Yesung's shoulder, "didn't want me to. So blame him."

       "Well, my guy-partner is your fiancee." Shoving the composer's hand like it's just a speck of dust, Yesung attends to his wine.

       "And he could sue me if I blame this whole thing on him." Sungmin then adds, "You're the easy target."

       "This is unbelievable," Donghae chokes out. Despite the composer struggles to claim this isn't his fault, he maintains his interaction with them. He leaves all the relative-related things to Siwon as he grows sick attending Siwon's other business partner's million questions. He doesn't even know why he's acting like a spoiled brat tonight, and he doesn't want to know why either. He needs all his friend to keep him sane.

       "Next time if someone resolves to move onto the next stage of their life, at the very least call us a week beforehand." Shindong interjects, agreeing full-heartedly on Sungmin's. "Anyway, congratulations on getting engaged," the choreographer pats Donghae on his back.

       By now their small circle has expands. "You guys realize this is the first time we're getting together at the engagement party?" Kibum asks in amazement like the sudden meteor since forever flying pass in front of his eyes and asking is that really a shooting star.

       "Who knows we're taking this long for this kind of thing," muses Henry, reaching for the one-bite food on Sungmin's plate and the other is quick to move it away from him so Henry couldn't put his finger on any of the food. He's pouting but no one is really care to notice his slight sullen expression.

       "Congratulations for being the first one holding the engagement party," says Heechul, nonchalantly as his eyes catch the sight of certain designer. "No offense, Ryeowook," the actor waves his hand at the designer from behind them. Everyone turns their head at the mention. If anyone ever records their sudden reaction, they could have won  an award for the funniest reaction awards.

       "None taken," says Ryeowook warmly. It feels like thousand years ago. He has forgotten what feelings he's been trapped into when he get married. He approaches them and chats away with them till Shindong blacks out from having too much alcohol in his system. The choreographer isn't much a drinker anyway. And just like that one by one recedes into the house.

       As the lack of his friend gives Ryeowook space to be inside his head, he sometimes wishes upon the highest star on the clouds, that he would be invisible. Five minutes would be satisfying, he thinks, and it shouldn't hurt that much. Though he knows he doesn't think this through and through but the right thing to do, he cannot help himself sometimes. He wishes he could do anything so they could see him in a different light.

       Taking in the surrounding of the night around him, Ryeowook tries to distract himself so he won't be too preoccupied with his jumbled thoughts. "Don't you need to attend your Siwon? I can see he's getting tipsy," says Ryeowook.

       Donghae, however, seems unfazed as he grabs couple of shot glasses on the table at the side line. He passes one to Ryeowook, who hesitantly takes it away from him. "He won't need me to take care of his stuff." Throwing a brief glance at the lawyer-turned-his-fiancee, he watches Siwon laughing and smiling with his colleagues. At the last moment though, he sees Kyuhyun sitting a bit closer to the lawyer, almost hidden at the far back. Then he adds, "I'm sure someone's going to be there for him."

       Ryeowook unaware of what is happening suspiciously looks at the composer, who decides to school his features into a blank look when Ryeowook studies the other for quite some times. He dryly humors, "What are you saying?" If he thinks couple should act sweets like a dripping honey of a jar every single moment then he wouldn't be so bothered with the indifference his older friend is showing off at him, unmissable.

       "Nothing, here drinks this." Donghae passes another glass to Ryeowook, who despite is a bit disinclined, accepts it as to not further upsetting his friend. Obviously Donghae is troubled, by what, Ryeowook has no idea.

       The engagement party has goes so deep into the night that by the time Donghae corners Ryeowook in a studio recording on the third floor, it is one-thirty in the morning. The composer plays the music stored in computer playlist, for the convenience sake. Ryeowook, initially, suggests them to go to the karaoke room but the elder argues of the room is occupied by someone else.

       "Let's just sing our heart out in the studio," says Donghae, giggling slightly and Ryeowook relents into it easily, having no energy to contradict the other.

       The older man does all the throaty-singing for the majority of time and Ryeowook lazily follow suit, harmonizing the lines. Ryeowook, who knows all the songs in the playlist, has it memorized at the back of his mind for they are all his voice and Yesung's. Eunhyuk said their voices combine could sell records million miles away. They are sitting outside the booth with Donghae occupies the chair and Ryeowook takes the couch. After the sixth song, Donghae is out of breath.

       "I remember the day that I ask of you and Yesung-hyung redo the entire song, it was amazing. You're one of the amazing people I know, Wook." Donghae giggles. It's been not so long after Ryeowook lands his feet in Seoul but Donghae has already asks for his favor. Ryeowook actually refuses to do the demo but Yesung convinces the younger. "You both finish the total of ten in a short period of time. Henry couldn't even do more than half."

       "You guys giving him unimportant ridiculous schedule," says Ryeowook. "He's going to lose all his voice if he's pushing himself."

       Dumfounded, the composer encounters. "Hey, they are all important. He needs to stay in the radar if he wants to survive."

       "He could be just fine if he does one or two in a year. But four, one after another?" Laying his back on the couch Ryeowook breathes, "That's what I call ridiculous."

       Shrugging, Donghae looks at the younger male over his shoulder. "He loves his job. I'm not the one asking him to accept all the offers," murmurs Donghae.

       The momentary pause slips pass them,as if automatic. Both are trying not to snap at one another before the designer opts for apologizing as he rests his hand on his forehead. "Yeah I know, sorry."

       Then silence reigns supreme once again and Donghae watches how his smaller friend strives to stay untouchable. Turning his chair around, he prods on Ryeowook's legs. His voice is soft, "What makes you think you couldn't handle?"

       "What?" The designer lifts his head slightly though he knows what's going to come unto him.

       Still in his soft lull tone, Donghae tries again. "You're not pulling a leg on me. You know what I'm talking about." He repeats the question. "What makes you think you couldn't handle?"

       Maintaining his gaze on Donghae's, Ryeowook challenges. "Who says I couldn't handle?"

       This is the part where Donghae knows he need to be million times patience as he deals with Ryeowook and his stubborness. "You texted me earlier, saying you think you couldn't handle this. You think I don't know what 'this' is means? "'This' means everything, alright. 'This' means you and Kyuhyun," Donghae sighs heavily as he tries his very best not to crack under the grim pressure. "Why suddenly you think you couldn't handle?"

       Donghae is looking straight at Ryeowook's soul, penetrating. And Ryeowook breaks the contact first as he lays on his back again. He hears Donghae calls his name, almost begging. "Ryeowook," and the said designer closes his eyes, an effort to block his best friend's voice, "You know for a fact that this is going to get better. Why would you try to pull yourself out of it?"

       "It's practical for things to get better," says Ryeowook.

       "Of course it is." Donghae then suggests, "Maybe I should get Kyuhyun to clear things up a bit."

       "Don't you dare," Ryeowook hisses, eyes still close. Somehow he couldn't believe himself of falling for that impossibly silly trick.

       "You know I can," says Donghae resolutely, leaving Ryeowook alone in the recording studio.

       Sighing under his breath, Ryeowook is well-aware that he is afraid, that he is scared to death for the thing he shouldn't have should worried about. The room is dark now that the petite male has switches off the light. The only source of lighting in the studio is the computer. He vaguely wonders if someone ever stands at the end of the road, waiting for him to realize of a bright light ahead of him to keep on moving.

       Donghae comes back thirty minutes later. The older man is leaning against the door after shutting the door behind him silently. "I'm sorry," he says. If the composer feels bothered with the dark room he doesn't say anything.

       "Me too," Ryeowook hears himself saying. Maybe the dimness of the room that makes him spilling things over, but Ryeowook doubts if he wants to get out of his suffocating feelings inside of him. "I don't know why suddenly it feels foreign," he starts. "It makes my heart does these flipping things and it feels weird. I don't want to get addicted to it. There are many things that I need to take care before I-"

       "Before you what?" asks Donghae, almost snapping.

       "... Before I can actually-"

       "Move on with your life?" Donghae cuts Ryeowook's, suddenly couldn't understand where Ryeowook is coming from. Sure he might have a slightest idea but that doesn't cut enough for Donghae to comprehend why Ryeowook is giving a hard time upon himself. "Before you decide which side would make you feel safe? Before you think you're not going to deserve all of this?" Donghae is defeated with the way Ryeowook seems to reduced himself to. "Believe me, Ryeowook. This is all you deserve to get. You need to pull yourself through this."

       "I don't know. Okay?" Ryeowook almost yells, his breathing draws uneven. There's too much things too handle all at once and Ryeowook couldn't choose which one he needs to straighten up first. He can feel his heart constricts painfully inside his ribcage it leaves him breathless. "I need some air," he decides. Standing up, he steps through the darkness and escapes from the confine of the room.

 

       Ryeowook knows he's running away yet again.