One

Lips of an Angel

jungkook thinks taehyung's voice is one of the most interesting and valuable assets to their group, his voice is unlike anything jungkook's ever heard. jungkook knows that he and jimin have nice voices, he's not bragging or anything, he just knows it's true, and seokjin has been working so hard on his vocals and it really shows, but kim taehyung.... taehyung's voice is like an enigma wrapped in a paradox and delivered in a dream. jungkook doesn't understand how taehyung can slip so seamlessly from low bass, to rough baritone and then breathy soprano. there's so much character in taehyung's voice that jungkook wishes he had. taehyung could sing a wordless melody and still tell stories with his voice. jungkook doesn't admit it to anyone but his favourite songs are the ones where the taehyung presence is strong. songs like spine breaker, rain, let me know and boy in luv are constantly on replay when he's alone.  

 

(it kind of breaks his heart that the album version of just one day has namjoon alone as opposed to namjoon plus taehyung like the video, even though namjoon has a beautiful voice also.) 

 

ask jungkook what his favourite taehyung voice is, and he wouldn't be able to tell you. on one hand, he loves when taehyung's voice is literally the auditory manifestation of caramel. it's smooth and soft and calming and sweet. ask him on a different day? and he'd probably tell you his favourite is taehyung's rough and gritty voice. the one that ignites flames under his skin and makes him blush with all the bad wrong things he wants to do to the other boy. if you were to ask him just before he fell asleep, he'd tell you it was his breathy soprano that sometimes makes a much welcomed appearance. the one that sounds like the flutter of angel wings and elevates jungkook onto some other plane of reality. and yet, there's a soft spot for taehyung's impossibly deep voice that sounds like a deity conversing with its loyal worshippers.  

 

jungkook is more than likely in love with taehyung's voice (and possibly taehyung himself). and not only his singing voice; jungkook could listen to taehyung talk all day. of course, he would never let anyone know this because he'd never live it down. but, sometimes, when he can't sleep he crawls into taehyung's bed and gets the older boy to talk about anything that pops into his head. taehyung's already deep voice, gets even deeper and slightly husky when he's sleepy and jungkook likes to just let it wash over him and lull him to sleep even while it lights up his soul.  

 

the thing is, taehyung is terribly shy and insecure about his voice. jungkook kind of understands: taehyung isn't given a lot of lines in many songs, and most of the time he splits them with seokjin. most of the songs where taehyung has a large presence is because no one in bangtan, possibly no one in the world, can do what he does with his voice. in war of hormone, they needed that grit, that roughness - the same goes for boy in luv, and no one else could deliver that. but jungkook almost feels like they're using taehyung's voice as a novelty item, not as the brilliant and priceless gift that it is.  

 

actually, for all that taehyung appears to be confident and four dimensional in nature, jungkook's hyung is pretty shy and insecure on the whole. in the grand scheme of things, taehyung falls somewhere in the middle of everything: middle for vocals, middle for visual, middle for dancing. jungkook wasn't lying when he ranked taehyung in his top 3 for looks. he truly believes that taehyung is one of the most beautiful guys, not only in the band, but that he's ever seen.  

 

during american hustle life, when the vocal line performed "you're my", jungkook couldn't keep his eyes off taehyung. he was surprised that the older boy even went through with it. jungkook is thankful for that opportunity, because it helped bring taehyung confidence in his voice up. when they performed that song, taehyung was positively radiant and ethereal (even though jungkook would never admit this upon threat of death). he looked back at the footage and saw that it was pretty obvious that he couldn't stop looking at his hyung. throughout the whole song they were practically singing to each other, but could you blame him?  

 

taehyung was singing and looking like some sort of otherworldly magical creature and it was all jungkook could do not to stop singing himself and just bask in the glory that taehyung exudes without effort.  

 

(sometimes jungkook contemplates bribing one of the sound engineers to make him a cd with just taehyung's voice on it, but he doesn't really want his obsession becoming public knowledge.) 

 

jungkook just wishes taehyung would sing more, he sings around the dorm and practice room but most of the time that's in silly voice and, while that's adorable, that's not what jungkook wants. it's not what jungkook needs. taehyung even has a beautiful opera voice, when he's not playing around. the fans don't know this, but taehyung is an avid classical music listener, and it's not uncommon to hear him performing full arias by himself in that gorgeous clear baritone. jungkook wishes the fans could hear and see what he does, see that taehyung is crazy talented and that his voice is more than just some accent to a song to make it pop. jungkook's fairly certain that taehyung could have a solo career if he wanted, he definitely has the looks and the talent for it.  

 

then one day jungkook's prayers are answered. taehyung confides in him that he's thinking of recording a song for his fans to release on his birthday. (if jungkook's honest, he's a bit jealous that the fans get this gift.) jungkook tells him in no uncertain terms that he has to go through with it. jungkook's so enthusiastic that taehyung's a bit taken aback but taehyung smiles that smile, that beautiful smile that jungkook's starting to like a bit too much. taehyung agrees to it and jungkook's sure there must be a god because this is the thing of miracles.  

 

taehyung records a version of sofa and it nearly brings jungkook to tears. his voice is crystal clear with a soft vibrato. they brought it down a couple keys, bringing taehyung into his baritone register and jungkook is pretty sure that this boy, this wonderful amazing boy has been touched by angels. he's sure that they'll use this, he doesn't care that he already covered this song. taehyung's version blows jungkook's out of the water, jungkook can only dream to convey this sort of emotion and feeling in his own voice.  

 

when taehyung decides to scrap the entire thing and find a different song, jungkook can feel his heart shattering. he purposes in his mind to get this song before it's deleted, he doesn’t scare if the sound engineers tell the whole world.  

 

after some more searching, and some input from the other members, taehyung decides on someone like you. jungkook's still mourning the loss of sofa that he doesn't think that he will like this one very much. but then taehyung records it. jungkook has the opportunity to sit in with him while he records, and he can't hide his tears, not from taehyung. taehyung pauses recording to kneel in front of him and hold him while he cries. thankfully, it's just them and the sound engineer and they know better than to blab about this kind of emotional thing.  

 

jungkook knows that sometimes singing in a second language can hinder the feeling and emotions one can put in a song. you're always going to be focused on pronunciation and things like that, but somehow kim taehyung manages to sing this english song completely flawless. his voice is breathy, soaring over the notes with ease. jungkook doesn't understand how taehyung could possibly be insecure about his voice.  

 

when taehyung asks jungkook to add some backing vocals to the chorus, jungkook's initial reaction is that he doesn't want to ruin taehyung's master piece. but he knows how unsure taehyung is about this whole thing so he agrees to it. taehyung's gentle, shy smile  when he says yes lets jungkook know that he made the right decision. jungkook would do anything to see taehyung smile like that, if he's quite honest.  

 

when the song is mastered, the piano track laid down and finishing touches added, taehyung gives jungkook the cd. he preceeds the gift by saying something along the lines of 'it's really not that good' but jungkook shut him up by snatching the cd away and hurrying to put it on his computer and his phone. there are no words to explain how happy he is that a solo taehyung song exists. and his backing vocals on the track are soft enough that he can focus solely on how beautiful taehyung sounds.  

 

once the song is on his phone, there are few things jungkook listens to besides it. he listens to war of hormone and spine breaker from time to time solely for taehyung, but more often than not, he's listening to taehyung's someone like you cover. it does something different for him than any of the other songs. it calms him, sends him into a blissed out state of being. jungkook's not going to call it an auditory because the term seems a bit too crude and irreverent a description for the song, but it's pretty damned close.  

 

one time, taehyung plucked one of jungkook's earbuds from his ear and placed it in his own as they usually do. when taehyung heard his own voice through the speakers, he gave jungkook a very strange look. jungkook guesses that taehyung maybe didn't think that the other members would like it enough to play for themselves, but why shouldn't they? jungkook's just a big a fan of taehyung as any of the noonas and dongsaengs out there, and even more so because he knows the real taehyung, the one who gets discouraged and shy and insecure, and he loves taehyung with his dying breath.  

 

** 

 

jungkook can't sleep so he's working on some homework from the online classes he does from time to time. he has taehyung's cover playing softly on his phone, which, if he's honest, probably wasn't the smartest idea. he often finds himself paying more attention to the sound of taehyung crooning through the speakers then his work, but he decides he'll make it work. part of him wonders who hurt taehyung in this way, that enables him to sing with such feeling and pain. he doesn't like whoever did this to him.  

 

he's so engrossed in the song that he doesn't notice the toilet flushing in the background or the soft footsteps growing closer until it's too late to pause the song. he hears taehyung clear his throat and when jungkook looks up, he looks like he just got out of bed: his hair sticks up wildly on one side, and is comically flattened on the other, there's an imprint of the creases of his pillow cases on his face and his eyes look kind of swollen. the fans don't get to see this kind of taehyung, and jungkook's glad. he's got to be able to keep some things about the older boy to himself.  

 

"why are you listening to that?" taehyung asks, voice a tad accusing and wrinkling his nose a little, and jungkook wishes that taehyung knew what a ing treasure he was. "why do you keep listening to that. you listen to it all the time." 

 

jungkook smiles up at him softly, everything about taehyung is so perfect, even like this when he looks like he's about to fall back asleep where he stands. how did the universe come up with this hyung? "because it calms me." jungkook says quietly, wanting to make sure the others don't wake up. "you have a beautiful voice, taehyung hyung."  

 

taehyung blinks at him, clearly surprised to hear those words coming from jungkook. jungkook, the golden maknae, the triple threat with the devilishly good looks and yet jungkook doesn't think he holds a candle to kim taehyung. "you're joking." taehyung says, brows furrowing as he struggles to process this information through his still half asleep brain. "you're you."  

 

"you're not making sense, hyung." jungkook says gently, moving around on the couch he was seated on so taehyung could sit next to him. taehyung does almost immediately, and cuddles up against jungkook's side. "your voice is probably the most beautiful voice in the world."  

 

taehyung makes a soft sound, probably disbelief, jungkook's not sure. "you think so?" taehyung murmurs after a few heartbeats, his voice impossibly small for how deep it is and jungkook longs to kiss him. but he doesn't, not where it counts. he kisses taehyung's forehead and murmurs a 'yes' against the sleep warm skin.  

 

the next day, jungkook's phone goes missing. none of the guys know where it is, and it's the most annoying thing. a few days after that he finds that there are new songs on his phone that he doesn't remember putting there. he thinks it's a prank from the guys until he puts his earphones in and plays the songs. every single one of them is a taehyung cover made especially for him. taehyung recorded at least five love songs, and substituted jungkook's name in all of them. jungkook doesn't cry, but he comes pretty damn close to breaking down in tears.  

 

later, when he gets taehyung alone he does kiss him. and kim taehyung, resident angel and the love of jungkook's life, kisses back.