Beauty Queen

Paper Hearts

3 months later
First day of school

 

“Good morning, Sung Ah!” a group of girls chorused together. Sung Ah stopped on her tracks by the gates, offers the most charming smile and replied a simple, “good morning to you too”. Even though she heard them whispering about how pretty she was, Sung Ah pretends not to hear it and continued walking into the school area. She walked past the school gates while offering greetings and smiles to whoever she saw, even when she didn’t know them. Trick one to become the perfect girl everybody adores: be friendly and keep on smiling.

 

It has been a very busy holiday for Sung Ah. Now that she is officially appointed as a member of the student council before school break, she had to attend some meetings with other officials and members of the council. And today is the first day of school after a long, needed holiday. As a sophomore, Sung Ah is expecting a whole new page to start and she wanted to stop thinking about her mental condition now.

The school corridors were already filled with students, mostly clueless freshmen, roaming here and there to get accustomed to the new place they’ll be attending for the next 3 years. All of them were looking at Sung Ah in awe as she walked by. She greets them as nice as possible and offered a polite smile to all the people she met. Some guys dropped their jaw shamelessly at her. If she saw a new kid drooling at her, she says nothing and quietly smiles to herself.

To say that Park Sung Ah is the beauty of the school is an understatement. She was more than gorgeous or even pretty. Students from other schools must have heard about her reputation that they often sneaked into her school just to see her. Well, she did gain uncountable male and female fans from the neighboring school also because of her undeniably friendly and appropriate attitude. Everyone needs to agree that Chanyeol’s little sister is perfect.

 

New students came as scheduled just like the president said. Today would probably be one of those busy days for Sung Ah as she is the vice president of the student council and her job is to welcome the new students warmly. Based on the previous members of the student council, all of them should consist of seniors. But as a sophomore, Sung Ah was given a special treatment and became the second most important person in the council.

 

She walked slowly to her locker to retrieve some books and important papers she needs to give to the president of student council. To say that her job is hard was an understatement. There were a lot of things to do like read and handover papers to the president, checking the preparation for ceremonies and club activities, all of them are just too stressing. But at least no one is giving her a hard time for now.

 

She gathers a tall pile of papers in her arms and tried balancing the heavy stack expertly. As soon as she closed her locker shut, she almost jumped in surprise when 3 tall guys were hovering over her.

 

Must be from volleyball club, Sung Ah thought.

 

“Morning, Park Sung Ah-ssi!”

 

“Good morning,” she replies with a smile. She was about to leave when a tall guy with unruly black hair flashed his pearly white teeth and stepped in front of her, stopping her immediately.

It’s one of these guys again, Sung Ah almost sigh in resignation.

 

“Can I help you?” she asked again.

 

The guy smirked and walked closer to her, enclosing the gap between them. The girl didn’t seem to be fazed because, hello? Her brother is way taller than this pipsqueak. And of course she had managed to face this kind of situation since junior high school. This is not a huge problem.

 

“Do you have time this weekend? I mean, we could hang out in my crib, go out on a ride together and you know, maybe grab dinner together?” the guy asked, more like ordering her. He smirked wider when he managed to gather some attention from the by passers in the hallway. Some of them were murmuring and whispering about the two. Sung Ah began thinking of how to escape the two giant behind the obnoxious guy.

 

“I’m sorry but I don’t think I could join you. There are a lot of tasks and projects I need to finish. Thank you for your pleasant offer but I really couldn’t attend. I apologize again,” she rejected carefully. She was about to leave when the guy grabbed her hand forcefully, pushed her against the locker with a loud sound of impact when her back slammed against her own locker and made the papers scattered messily on the floor. She wasn’t hurt, but there would be bruises, no doubt.

 

Some girls gasped and some students were about to help when they saw some few familiar faces coming their way.

 

“Let my sister go would you?”

 

The guy let go of Sung Ah’s hand almost immediately and turned his head to find a very furious Park Chanyeol. With his arms crossed below his chest, Chanyeol ordered the two idiots behind Sung Ah to go with a shake of his head. Both of them ran like the apocalypse was here. The girl offered a sheepish smile at her brother and crouched down to gather her papers.

 

“Well well well, if it isn’t the notorious playboy Moon Joonha? Joonha, what were you doing to my baby sister just now?” Chanyeol took small steps nearer to the frozen guy. With a swift hand movement, Joonha received a hard punch on his cheek and ended up sprawled on the floor.

 

Sung Ah rolled her eyes, as expected from her overprotective brother. A lot of people gathered to see the fight.

 

While searching for some papers, her eyes spotted Chanyeol’s friends who were really enjoying the show at the sides. Her gaze met with Baekhyun for awhile and she ushered the boy to stop Chanyeol before the poor guy ended up dead beaten up by the taller giant. Without a word, Baekhyun walked to Chanyeol in order to stop the fight and talk things out just like Sung Ah wanted.

 

Yifan, being the nice friend he is, chased away all the spectators. The other friends didn’t do anything but wait for Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Yifan to join them and head to class together. They sent Sung Ah some encouragement while she thanked them silently. By the time Sung Ah collected all her papers, she was faced with 2 worried gazes.

 

“Thank you, oppa. Next time I could handle the situation better with no violence,” she emphasized. “That guy would have been dead you know,” she said.

 

“But he was going to hurt you and as your brother I am deeply worried,” Chanyeol ruffled her hair messily in a very affectionate way. The tall guy smiled goofily and ran away before she could kick him on the shin.

 

Baekhyun chuckled and Sung Ah can’t help but feel guilty. As much as her inner devil hated Baekhyun, she still had some conscience left that is still untainted by her demons. “Thank you too Baek,” she continued halfheartedly, voice slightly above a whisper. But Baekhyun managed to hear it and smiled before Sung Ah walked out of sight to the Student Council office.

 

-

 

Park Chanyeol has a list.

 

He made this ultimatum list when he was 7 and upgrades it as time goes by. For some the list might be useless or unimportant but actually for the male students in Kyungho High School (or maybe other schools too) it was noteworthy and very essential. It is very significant if they could have their names written in the list.

 

Park Chanyeol has a list, and his list is very short. If you are a male and somehow interested in Park Sung Ah, think yourself really lucky if you managed to get your name written in Chanyeol’s list.

 

When Chanyeol was a kid, he developed a protective vibe over his sister ever since she began getting bruises by the older kids. One day when she was bullied by the kids down the block, little Park Chanyeol vowed to never let his sister out of his sight ever again. So he made a list of names that are allowed to talk to his younger sister. Back then, there were only 4 people who were able to enter the list; mom, dad, Chanyeol(himself), and Byun Baekhyun.

 

But as he grew up, Chanyeol seems to realize that almost all male students in his school had lustful eyes towards his sister. So, he made a modification to the list. The list was upgraded to “MALES THAT ARE ALLOWED TO TALK TO SUNG AH”. There are only 8 in his list. Baekhyun one day found his names as the top three and couldn’t feel anything more than proud:

  1. Mr. Park Minsoo (DAD)
  2. Park Chanyeol (ME)
  3. Byun Baekhyun (MY MINION)
  4. Do Kyungsoo (D.O)
  5. Wu Yifan (KRIS)
  6. Kim Jongdae (CHENCHEN)
  7. Kim Minseok (Mr. President)
  8. Oh Sehun (DIP)

 

Ever since that fateful day when Baekhyun found out, the whole school managed to know about it too no thanks to Baek’s big mouth. But since that day too, many males began being more careful around the girl or they’ll face the wrath of Park Chanyeol who had mastered martial arts for this type of occasion.

 

So guys, be careful. If you wanna talk to Sung Ah, better do it without her brother.

 

-

 

The class was rowdy as usual when Sung Ah walked in gracefully, earning some nods from the quiet students and noisy greetings from her close girl friends. The boys eyed her from top to toe and wolf-whistles as she walked to her own table. The teacher walked in not long after that and schools starts.

 

“Okay, good morning my dear students!” the teacher greeted while some students faked vomit. Mrs. Jung snickered, “All of you guys are now a sophomore this year so act more mature, stop playing around and cause trouble!” the teacher warned with a playful smile on her lips.

 

“Because I’m a really nice tutor who cares truly for my pupils, I won’t immediately jump to books and learning with those boring stuff on your first day. In fact, I am very excited to tell you good news today!!!” She clapped her hands like a retarded seal. Some girls were very intrigued because whenever their homeroom teacher acts like that, there must be something interesting going on.

 

“Okay, I have always wanted this day to come. The school will hold the usual annual Art Week Festival which will be held in 3 months that consists with dance, singing, and musical competitions, also with other display or shows but…” she stops, can’t stop giggling to herself.

 

“Mrs. Jung, can’t you be more serious? I’m excited! Please continueeee…” the girls whined. Sung Ah could only snigger and flipped another page of the science book she’s reading, something her brother would be learning. Senior’s material, hard and stuff but she wanted to be prepared also she needs to help him with his homework too.

 

“Okay, this time the student council has suggested a very wonderful idea and the principal had agreed to it. We are going to have some sort of beauty pageant.”

 

The class erupted in squeals and excited hollers. Everyone was really interested because the beauty pageants only happen when there is prom. For some girls, it was the only time they could show off their expensive dresses. Sung Ah couldn’t care less about the Art Week and continued learning the materials. She was the only person in the Student Council Board that feels uncomfortable for these kind events.

 

“Kids, I’m not done talking!”

 

The class quiets down hearing Mrs. Jung’s booming voice. She recollects herself and continued. “As I said, there is a beauty pageant. But not only for girls. Boys are also included in the competition and the winners would be the king and queen for the night. The best part of this year’s art festival is…. Drumrolls  please,” the teacher instructed. The boys started hitting the edges of their tables with pens and pencils, or even with their fingers.

 

“Students from our neighboring school, Jeyul High School, will also attend!”

 

This time the whole class roared with whistles and shrieks.

Sung Ah pretended to be excited and smiled with the others. “As for the competitions, each class should send 2 representatives, a girl and a boy. So who would you recommend to compete in the upcoming contest? But I do need to tell you the contestants of the beauty pageant had to show their talent too.”

The class was so rowdy with murmurs and mumblings amongst each other. Sung Ah tried her best to hide her face behind her book to no avail.

 

“I recommend Sung Ah!” Sooji quickly said in her usual high-pitched voice.

The whole class takes the recommendation faster than Sung Ah would like. Mrs. Jung offered a warm smile to her. “Is it okay with you Sung Ah? The whole class agreed on you.”

 

The girl’s head was filled with horrible scenarios to what would happen if she did participate. But she can’t say ‘No’ either, afraid of disappointing her classmates that depend on her. Even though now her hands were trembling with fear and felt numb & cold as ice, Sung Ah said nothing and only nodded in agreement. Faking a smile expertly, she received ‘thank you’s from the teacher and her classmates.

The class continued discussing about the male representative but could Sung Ah care? Absolutely no.

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Well this is longer than i thought, hahahahha