One

Just One Smile

It was lunch time, and the library was noisy and completely occupied. This was something that Taehyung didn't mind too much but most of his friends did. He was the loud one in the group and was capable of doing anything in any sort of atmosphere. He was so good at blocking out the elements of his surroundings that he could even study at a death metal concert or recite Hamlet in the middle of a war zone.

Today, he was ignoring the noise around him so that he could focus completely on watching White Chicks on Netflix... for the seventh time that week. As said before, Taehyung was a loud individual, so he was adding to the chaos by yelling every line.

"I'm gonna have a BF!" He shouted in a high voice, making a few heads turn in confusion.

"Taehyung..." Seokjin tried in vain to interject.

He continued, his voice rising several octaves higher, "Oh my god, she's gonna have a fit!" 

"Taehyung–"

"I want to speak to your supervisor!" Cue sassy hand motions. "Better yet, I'm gonna write a LETTER!"

"Taehyung!" Seokjin flicked him in the forehead, shutting him up.

"Ow! Why'd you do that?" He pouted, rubbing the red spot above his eyebrow.

"I need to read one hundred pages by next period and you're making it even more of a challenge than it has to be." He scolded. "If you're going to make that much noise, go back to the cafeteria with Yoongi."

"But he's sleeping."

"Exactly. Be yourself and you're a dead man."

"That's cold." Taehyung shuddered. "Okay, I'll be quiet. Sorry."

Taehyung paused the movie with a click and shut his laptop, crossing his arms and sighing. He looked around the room, briefly observing each person. However, his eyes lingered on one girl, who was sitting alone at a table with her headphones in as she read. Her face was obscured by her bangs, but Taehyung could imagine a serious and focused expression.

He rested his knuckles against the side of his cheek, silently watching the girl from afar. Jungkook, the youngest of the bunch, took notice of this and shot him a puzzled look. He glanced toward where Taehyung was staring and then back to Taehyung. 

"Dude, stop that." Jungkook snapped his fingers in front of his friend's blank face.

Taehyung blinked a few times, disoriented. "Wha-what?"

"You look really creepy, you know." He remarked disapprovingly.

"Oh... I didn't realize." Taehyung's cheeks tinted a light pink.

"What do you see in her, anyway?"

"Um, nothing." He shook his head. "I don't even know her."

"You don't know Hong Jaeyoung?" Jungkook looked at him incredulously. "The Abominable Jaeyoung?"

He frowned and shook his head. "Why is she called that?" 

"Nobody dares to try to speak to her. She just glares at you until you feel really uncomfortable and leave her alone. She doesn't hang out with anyone. It's just her in her own little bubble."

Taehyung nodded silently and said no more. He sighed and unpaused White Chicks to continue where he left off. But he began to space out during the movie, missing many important details and amusing lines. His mind began to drift as he wondered about the mystery behind Jaeyoung. Maybe she had issues with attachment, or some form of social anxiety. Whatever her case was, she was certainly a mystery to be unveiled.

"Namjoon, are you free right now?" Jimin, Taehyung's classmate, asked.

He nodded. "What do you need?"

"Can you help me study for my health test?" Jimin replied, taking out his huge pile of flashcards. "It's on the reproductive system."

"No problem." Namjoon took the flashcards and shuffled them. "Okay, the uterus."

"The uterus–oh, I got this!" Jimin pressed a finger to his lips as his eyes trailed up to the ceiling in deep thought. "That's the... uh... Isn't that part of the digestive system? I didn't make a mistake when I wrote up those flashcards, right?"

"Oh my god." Namjoon's jaw dropped in shock. "Are you... are you serious?"

"Ugh," Jimin sighed in defeat as he let his head fall to the table. "I'm so going to fail."

"And this," Namjoon gestured toward Jimin. "Is why we need ed."

Hoseok, who was a grade above Jimin and Taehyung, turned around in his seat and faced the entrance. A small-framed boy with creamy white skin groggily walked through the doors, covering his mouth to yawn. 

"Yoongi's here." He told them. "We need another chair."

"All of them are taken already." Taehyung replied.

"Not at that table." Hoseok pointed behind them to where Jaeyoung was seated. "There's a free chair there. Ask if you can take it."

"But–" He hesitated for a moment. "Okay. Whatever."

Carefully, Taehyung tiptoed across the room toward Jaeyoung, who was still immersed in her book and music. He awkwardly stood over the unoccupied chair for a moment, trying to brainstorm something to say. Sensing someone near, Jaeyoung's sharp, almond-shaped eyes shot upward and met with Taehyung's own. He gulped nervously and flashed a sheepish grin, to which she had no response.

"Um, hi." He slowly pointed downward at the chair. "Is anyone using this chair?"

She glimpsed at the chair across from her and then glared back at Taehyung. She had a stare that made him feel like he was both burning alive and freezing to death. But then, her gaze softened ever so slightly, subtly indicating that it was not a problem. Taehyung hurriedly carried the chair over to his table, just in time before Yoongi came near.

Jungkook gaped at Taehyung, amused by his attempt to interact with Jaeyoung. He quietly clapped for his friend but then stopped to greet Yoongi when he arrived at the table. Yoongi, however, had caught Jungkook's small round of applause and raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"What did I miss?" He asked, directing his question at Jungkook. "And why does Taehyung look like his soul left his body?"

"He had to talk to her," Jungkook pointed behind him to Jaeyoung. "So that you could have a place to sit."

"If that's not true friendship, I don't know what is." Yoongi gave Taehyung a thumbs-up as he sat down.

"I kind of feel bad for her, you know?" Taehyung interjected. "Nobody even tries to be friendly to her anymore because they're all scared of her."

Hoseok shrugged. "Well, maybe if she didn't have murder in her eyes on a constant basis..."

"There has to be a reason for it," He insisted, shaking his head. "And I'm going to find out what it is."

"How exactly do you plan to get any sort of response out of her?" Jimin added.

"No talking." Namjoon scolded. "You need to study. What is menopause?"

Taehyung his chin in deep thought. How could he get close to Jaeyoung, if at all? He did not want to decipher her for his own personal gain, but rather, so that she could possibly have a friend. He was aware that he was probably the first person to actually speak to her, and he decided that he would continue doing so until she ditched the outward coldness. 

The best way to befriend someone, in his opinion, was to make them smile. He snuck another peek at Jaeyoung, realizing that she was actually quite pretty. Sure, she wasn't the standard image of ideal beauty in Korea, but she had a unique look that he thought was charming. Her face was slightly more round and she had higher cheekbones, much unlike the soft, v-line jaw that every girl longed to have. She also had monolids, which seemed to intensify her stare and give her character. He dreamed that her plump, pouty lips, which seemed to be forever forced into a frown, would reveal the brightest smile that could soften even the toughest of hearts.

That was it.

"I got it!" Taehyung nearly jumped out of his seat, causing Seokjin to hush him again. "This is my new goal: I'll keep talking to her until I can get her to smile."

"Whoa, hold on," said Jungkook. "If you want to set a goal, you need a specific time frame. How long will you give yourself to achieve this?"

"A month, maybe?" He turned his head to the side, thinking to himself. "Or is that too short? Two months? Is that too long? Hmm... How about a month and a half?"

"And if you can't make her smile by then?" Jungkook challenged.

"I guess I'll leave her alone for the rest of the year." His face fell and he pouted cutely.

Jungkook smiled. "This will be interesting, Kim Taehyung. Very interesting."

He tried to think of when he would see Jaeyoung throughout his day. She was in his literature and chemistry classes, and he passed by her in the hallway on the way to his third period gym class. And of course, they had the same lunch period, fifth period. There were several opportunities for him to reach out to her, but he still had six weeks to make her smile. At this point in time, it seemed nearly impossible.

But Taehyung held his head high. She would be a tough challenge, but he was determined to break the icy walls surrounding the Abominable Jaeyoung.


I picture Jaeyoung to look similar to the model Lee Ho Jeong.

I'm not sure how to feel about this story... probably because I'm soooo not used to writing genres like this. But I'm going to try to force myself through until the end, because I believe that it is important that I gain experience writing many different kinds of stories.