Of Fairies and Snowflakes

Of Fairies and Snowflakes

The snow swirls around us like a flurry of magic and wonder, ruffling our hair and clothes as we huddle closer under our umbrella. Feeling as though we're walking in a dream, with the dark nipping at our heels and white stretching out in front of us. We wander through silent streets with nothing but the moon to light our path, watching it's light dance off the freshly fallen snow. Tugging at my sleeve he looks up at me,

"Do you here that?" Kibum asks with wonder in his voice

Straining to hear the sound he's pointed out I look around, searching for something I can't see. Suddenly I hear it, a noise so faint I wouldn't missed it had I not been listening. "What is that?" I ask, unsure of what it is I'm hearing.

"It's sounds like singing...singing and bells" He replies, tugging me off the path and towards a park.

"Wait Kibum!" I say, trying to redirect him towards the parks pathway. Knowing if we go any further into the snow, our shoes will soak through and we'll end up with wet feet. But it's too late for that, Kibum is already ahead of me twirling with delight.

"It sounds so beautiful!" He exclaims, smiling up at the sky as snowflakes cling to his hair. "Come on Jong!" He giggles running farther away, sending plumes of snow in every direction. Not being able to deny that sweet smile, I close the umbrella and chase after him. Soon we are twirling together, fingers interlocked as we spin round and round in the never ending white. Eventually we both collapse, laying back in our cold soft blanketed world we watch our breath floating in front of us.

"Jong!" He exclaims, sitting up and pointing and something. "Look! Over there!" He adds excitedly.

Sitting up I see it, but what is it I'm seeing? Little lights floating everywhere, while the sounds of bells and singing grows louder. Confused I rub my eyes, unsure if what I'm seeing is really there.

"Fairies!" Kibum whispers, as they begin to flock around us, singing their sweet song.

"Have you come to play with us?" One of them ask, landing on Kibums knee, encouraging the rest to come closer.

"Play with you..?" He murmurs, entranced at the sight of such a beautiful creature.

"Yes! Come play with us!" The fairies replies in unison, now hovering by his hand and gently pulling on his sleeve.

Kibum looks up at me, unsure of what to do next. "Shall we grant their request to play?" I ask, running a finger across his cold reddened cheeks. smiling to let him know it's alright.

"Oh can we?!" Kibum all but erupts, pushing to his feet and pulling me along side him. Brushing off the snow on my pants I follow after them, watching his face light up in delight as more fairies soon appear. I don't know how long we spent twirling and tumbling in the glistening snow, surrounded by shimmering wings and melodic singing. It must have been hours for the sun was starting to rise.

"We must go now." One of the fairies says reluctantly, landing on my shoulder. "Thank you for playing with us, it was so much fun" it adds smiling.

Intertwining my fingers with Kibums I smile back, "Thank you for a most wonderful night." Lifting a finger for it to perch on, "Will we get to see you all again?" I ask, still enchanted with the breath taking creatures.

"That is for you to decide" The fairy replies, flying from my finger and back into the endless white.

Picking up the umbrella I think of it's response, "what do you think it meant when it said it's for me to decide?" I ask Kibum, who is still transfixed on where the fairies once were.

"I have no idea Jong." He answers, unwillingly turning away so we can go home.

"Hmm... what an odd night it's been," I mumble to myself, pulling Kibum closer under the umbrella even though we're both completely soaked through. Sighing I rest my head on his shoulder, as we continue to walk through our wonderland. Soon though, we reach his house and I walk him to the front door. "Good night Kibum." I whisper leaning up and giving him a kiss, while wrapping my arms around him. "I love you," I smile up at him but suddenly everything's a blur. Reaching out I find I can't feel him anymore, he's gone and all I can see is white.

"Kibum!" I yell, bolting up right out of bed. Confused at where I now am I look around with blurry eyes, soon realizing I'm in my room. Running a hand through my hair I hear my phone go off, smiling when I see it's from Kibum. Reading his good morning text I run my hands across the key pad, "it was only a dream" I murmur, wishing I had the courage to tell Kibum how I really feel. "To some how be more than friends," I think, but instead I end up just saying good morning like always. Reminiscing on my dream I crawl out of bed, only to catch myself humming the snow fairies song.

Smiling to myself I say out loud, " We will definitely come back to play again, but hopefully next time it won't be just a dream." And with that I open my curtains, greeted by the morning sun as I hum the song of fairies and snowflakes.