Setting boundaries

The College Bachelor - The idiots guide to a healthy, successful college career

If you are an average Joe who is not commuting to college, you are most definitely going to have to live with someone around your age.  And this someone can be anyone; a messy eater, a neat freak, a body builder, a spine-breaker, or maybe just a hard worker that just earns enough to buy his own needs and cloth himself of designer outerwear. 

As you might have guessed, I am the last.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YGkKTI-zL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is where setting boundaries come of use. When you work so hard to get yourself the necessities you need, you do not want anyone touching them.  Especially not a friend that is overly comfortable sharing… your belongings.

We had trouble with this a lot. Everyday turned into an argumnt because we soon got comfortable with each other;  and it became the whole, 'Mi casa es tu casa'  and as much as I embrace that, my Supereme hoodie is my crown and I'd rather Chimchim not wear that.

We tried the whole seperating the room in two, but that didn't work out so well either,  as there came a point where each person would need something from the other side,  but! What will be useful is, if you can establish certain places that each roommate is not allowed to reach from. 

This may include:

  • Cupboard including your clothes

  • Your desk (My friend likes to keep his desk to himself; on which he keeps his diary on. Oops, I totally mean journal.)

  • Skin/facial products or cologne that you would prefer not to share.

Consequences may follow the violation of your belonging. This is your choice on how to deal with such defying behaviour.

Personally, my roommate and I have agreed on cleaning the bathroom, including the toilet that we all dread, as a punishment if rules were broken. When I challenged the rule, there was one time where I had to take my roommate’s turn to clean as punishment. 

Trust me, your belongings will be safe.

Stay tuned for the next blog, until then stay safe!

Remember, we learn it the hard way so that you don’t have to.

Alright Peace,

V  (for Vendetta... not really)