하나.

Forget-Me-Not

A/N: I am really sorry for the late update. I am too caught up with my studies that I actually lost the motivation to write. But, here's an update finally! I decided to make this story into a two shot instead. I hope you enjoy reading it!


 

Jung Yein has never been a bright student. She either just passes her tests or fails badly. Yein did not have the motivation to do well at all. She was not a troublemaker but in fact a quiet girl and she rarely speaks. None of her classmates had actually heard her speak. Some of them made a conclusion that she was mute. In reality, she was just an average high schooler like them.

 

 

Having reached early to school, Yein headed to her favourite spot in the school, the garden. She had a huge interest in flowers and had memorised all of the flowers that were planted in the school garden. Yein would usually stay there for a few hours after school and during break time. She was not really one to socialize with others since she found it uncomfortable.

 

 

Ever since her parents had gone their separate ways, Yein was left with her mother. Her mother was a wonderful florist. She was the one who taught Yein about all the flowers which the girl immediately took interest in. A smile never once left her face and Yein really admired her mother for being really strong. However, things started to fall apart when her mother found someone new and Yein was shoved away immediately. It was as if they were strangers all of a sudden. Yein did try to get her mother's attention but it was to no avail. She eventually gave up and had the mindset that no one would ever like her.

 

 

Yein sat down on the bench and put on her earpiece, letting the music take over her mind. She closed her eyes and sighed contentedly. Yein had always liked peace and silence but on a rainy day, she wished that someone would actually be by her side and warm her up. The thought made Yein tear up without notice as it reminded her of her mother. Her mother would always be by her side whenever there was a storm and Yein would feel comforted. The more Yein thought of her mother, the more her tears started to flow out that it became uncontrollable.

 

 

"H-hey, why are you crying?" a student appeared all of a sudden, surprising Yein. The latter immediately wiped her tears and stood up from the bench wanting to walk away. She felt her cheeks heat up due to embarrassment and kept her head down low. "W-wait up!" the student called out to Yein and held onto Yein's wrist which caused her to freeze in her spot.

 

 

Who is she? Yein thought. She had never seen her in her class before but they were wearing the same uniform.

 

 

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't cry," the student smiled and used her sleeve to wipe Yein's tears.

 

 

Yein avoided eye contact with the girl at first but when she looked up to meet her eyes, she felt her heart beating rapidly when the girl gave her another smile. She wanted to thank her but she could not seem to do so. It was as if something got caught in , not allowing her to speak.

 

 

"I'm Mijoo," the girl introduced herself. "I guess you're a junior here since I don't think I've ever seen you."

 

 

Yein only nodded causing Mijoo to laugh softly and pat Yein's cheek lightly. "You're a cute one, aren't you?"

 

 

The younger girl blushed furiously and looked away once again.

 

 

"And... you don't talk much do you?" Mijoo chuckled and walked to the other side of the garden to pluck a flower out, handing it to Yein once she returned back.

 

 

Forget-me-not. Yein said in her mind as she took the flower from Mijoo.

 

 

"Don't forget me after this alright, Jung Yein ssi?" Mijoo winked at her and walked away, leaving for her first period.

 

 

Wait, how does she know my name? Yein thought as she stared at Mijoo's back until she disappeared from her sight.

 

 

--

 

 

Mijoo could not stop thinking about Yein. It was by coincidence that she saw Yein at the garden. She was only taking a stroll until she heard a soft sobbing from nearby. Curious, Mijoo went to check who was the one sobbing and she swore her heart stopped for a second before it started beating faster. She had actually wanted to leave that student alone at first but instead she went to her. When she saw the girl look up, Mijoo realised that she had been holding her breath and felt nervous all of a sudden. She also did not expect herself to grab onto Yein's wrist when the latter wanted to walk away. It was by instinct she did so. Mijoo still remembered how soft her skin was and was already thinking of wanting to hold onto her again and not letting go.

 

 

"Okay, what?" Mijoo thought to herself when she realised what she was dreaming of. "No, you're not in the right state of mind, Lee Mijoo. She's a girl!"

 

 

"Lee Mijoo!" 

 

 

The said girl immediately snapped out from her thoughts and gulped when she saw that her teacher was in front of her desk and that her other classmates were staring at her.

 

 

"Is daydreaming better than listening to my lesson?" Mr. Ahn asked in a monotonous tone.

 

 

"N-not at all, Mr. Ahn. I'm sorry," Mijoo apologized and bowed from her seat.

 

 

"Then better pay attention or you'll be standing at the back of the class with your hands raised up," Mr. Ahn sighed and returned to his teaching.

 

 

From behind, Mijoo heard someone snickered. She rolled her eyes knowing who it was and turned around to glare at him. "Shut up, Woohyun."

 

 

"How to shut up when the Lee Mijoo just got scolded by a teacher for daydreaming? What has gotten into you?" Woohyun grinned cheekily.

 

 

An image of Yein appeared in Mijoo's mind and she smiled unconsciously.

 

 

"You're just creeping me out now," Woohyun mumbled.

 

 

Mijoo scoffed. "It's just someone I met earlier on," she smiled once again when she remembered how cute Yein looked when she called her name.

 

 

"What- is he even handsome than me!?"

 

 

--

 

 

School ended as per usual and Yein slowly packed her bag. It was her usual routine to do so. She found no point in going home early since her mother would not be at home when she returns. Yein wished that one day she would actually see her mother waiting for her at the living room once again  and give her a hug after a long day in school. However, Yein knew that it would not happen any sooner since her mother was busy planning her wedding with the new guy who would soon be Yein's step father.

 

 

Yein frowned at that thought. Although her father had left her for good, Yein still loved him. Even if he did not care for her anymore, Yein still loved him. He had been the best father for Yein. She remembered how he used to read stories to her before she went to sleep and how he liked to carry her on his back when she was still young. Yein would never forget those memories.

 

 

"Y-Yein ssi, someone told me to give you this," one of her classmate approached her all of a sudden and placed a note on her table, leaving immediately once she did so.

 

 

Yein's attention diverted to the note once the girl left. She reached out for the note, wondering who would give it to her. She was not even close to anyone in school. Fear suddenly crept into Yein's mind and negative thoughts began to fill in. What if it was a letter to threaten her? Or maybe a hate letter? What if someone actually wanted her dead? Yein had never once thought that someone would hate her. She never did anything to harm anyone.

 

 

Slowly opening the note, Yein felt a gush of relief when she read the note.

 

 

Yein ssi, shall we meet at the garden again? I want to get to know you better. - Mijoo ♡

 

 

A small smile crept onto her face when Yein read the note. For once, she was happy that someone actually wanted to know her better. She had been pushing people away and none of them even tried to get her attention which upsetted Yein a lot but she was even upset at herself for not giving people a chance to get closer to her. But... why was Yein giving this stranger a chance? She was no different than the other students at school in Yein's point of view. Why Mijoo out of all the other students in the school? Yein did not know why herself.

 

 

Having reached the garden, Yein looked around for the certain girl. She was getting dejected when she could not detect her presence at all. She sighed softly and crushed the note. 

 

 

I shouldn't have had my hopes too high.

 

 

Turning around, Yein was about to walk away when all of a sudden, someone bumped into her, causing her to lose balance and fall backwards.

 

 

Yein was ready to feel the impact but instead, she felt something soft below her when she was supposed to be the one on the ground, feeling the hard ground.

 

 

"I-I'm sorry. Are you okay?" Mijoo asked softly and looked at Yein, concerned. She was in pain but she could deal with that later. She was the one who bumped into Yein. Mijoo could not forgive herself if anything were to happen to the younger girl.

 

 

Yein looked blankly at Mijoo. She was wondering why Mijoo had hurt herself just to save her. She was wondering why Mijoo cared if she was okay or not. She was also wondering why Mijoo wanted to know her better. It was then Yein realised that she wanted to know the older girl better too.

 

 

Mijoo unconsciously cupped Yein's cheek as she got lost in Yein's eyes. She could see many emotions flickering in the latter's eyes although she was just staring blankly at her. It made Mijoo want to know more about Yein and her past. At that moment, she felt as if she was sent to Earth just to protect Yein.

 

 

Yein flinched when she felt Mijoo's hand on her cheek. She immediately looked away when she saw Mijoo staring deeply at her and finally realised that she was still on top of Mijoo. Her eyes widened and quickly stood up, brushing her uniform. She felt blood rushing through her cheeks and looked down, hoping that Mijoo saw nothing.

 

 

The older girl only chuckled when she saw Yein's cute action. She sat up from her position and smiled cheekily to show that she was not hurt at all. Yein slowly looked up when she felt her cheeks no longer warm and frowned when she saw Mijoo's hand. The latter furrowed her brows when she saw Yein's sudden change in expression and turned to where the younger girl was looking at.

 

 

"O-oh, this is nothing. It will heal in a day or two so don't worry," Mijoo grinned and stood up, brushing off the dirt on the back of her uniform. She felt a sharp sting on her hand and bit onto her bottom lip hard. She really did not want Yein to worry about her.

 

 

However, Yein was not that dumb to know that Mijoo was really in pain. She immediately grabbed onto Mijoo's hurt hand and gave Mijoo a glare which was returned with a sheepish smile by the older girl. Yein could only let out a soft sigh and held onto Mijoo's wrist as she pulled her to the infirmary to clean the wound.

 

Mijoo stared at Yein as the latter was cleaning her wound. She was wondering what she had done in her past life to meet someone as beautiful as Yein. That might have sounded really cheesy but that was Mijoo's honest thought. She just could not stop staring at the younger girl. If she was a guy, she would have already made a move to make Yein hers. 

 

 

When Yein looked up, their eyes instantly met and Mijoo felt everything happening in slow motion. The older girl liked staring into Yein's big brown orbs. They looked so innocent giving Mijoo more reasons to want to protect her. Although Yein was staring blankly at her again, Mijoo found it extremely cute that she would have squealed if she did not control herself. 

 

 

"You know," Mijoo said as she turned away first, looking at her bandaged hand. "I haven't heard you speak yet. I wonder how you sound like. I bet your voice is as sweet as how you look like."

 

 

Yein felt her heart flutter at Mijoo's compliment. She wanted to say a few words to Mijoo but she felt as if something was holding her back, not allowing her to speak.

 

 

Why is it so hard for me to speak? Yein thought as she looked at Mijoo who was eagerly waiting for Yein to speak up.

 

 

One.. Two.. Three.. Four.. Five seconds..

 

 

No words could escape Yein's lips still. She was frustrated at herself. What if Mijoo lose interest in her the next day just because she would not speak? The thought of it frightened Yein a lot as she did not want to be lonely anymore. Yein realised that being lonely was not what she wanted but avoid.

 

 

Mijoo smiled softly and ruffled Yein's hair. "It's alright if you don't want to talk for now. I'll pester you every day just to make you talk," Mijoo grinned cheekily.

 

 

Yein felt her heart fluttering again at the sight of the girl in front of her. She flashed a small smile at Mijoo and the latter's eyes widened a little before she grinned widely seeing Yein's smile.

 

 

"You're so cute Yein ah~" Mijoo cooed and pinched the younger girl's cheek.

 

 

For the nth time, Yein blushed again making Mijoo squeal inside. "Come on, let me send you home," she said and stood up from the chair, holding onto Yein's hand.

 

 

Mijoo kept glancing at Yein as she walked beside the younger girl still hand in hand. She was surprised at how the silence was not really awkward because Yein was not speaking at all. It did not even bother Mijoo at all. In fact, she was happy that she could be with Yein and that was all that mattered to her at that moment.