one;

Inanimate Mannequins not Quite the Same as Life-Size Beings

 

Jinri always cracks the top 10 of the whole school. It isn’t super amazing, since people only care for the top 3 anyways, but it is superbly miraculous since Jinri almost never studies. Her friends resent her for that very reason.

 

“One more freaking semester left to make dues of my slowly dropping scores.” Amber drops her head unto the aluminum table. It hurts, but Amber tries not to show it. She whimpers though, slightly. She is sure it didn’t hurt, she convinces herself.

 

“The fact that you even considered banging your head to the table justifies how much studying you need actually.” Soojung isn’t a bully—she is just really mean in her own loving way.

 

“Guys quit it.” Victoria calmly reprimands them. Sometimes, she wonders why was she friends with such immature third years. It is exactly like tending your own toddler. “You can ask Sunyoung to tutor you anyways.”

 

“Upon request.” Sunyoung says lightly, not even sparing a glance to the self-suffering Amber. “Seven bucks per hour.”

 

“Why seven? I thought you hated the number seven?”

 

“Because Se7en oppa is ing hot and I feel like it. Now pay up or get held back.”
 

“Look, I’ve never even said that I agreed to this .”

 

Times like these, Jinri was grateful she has amazing brain capacity and information soaking and storage powers. It makes her life a whole lot easier. Especially since Sunyoung at tutoring other people.

 

 

 

 

Jinri loves fashion. She practically breathes it. But she is in no way allowed to wear her Avant-garde clothing items to school even if she bribes the dean. It is a sticky ty situation, that’s why she has sworn she would get herself into an Arts school. Her preferred arts school doesn’t really have a fashion department, but in the very least, she doesn’t have to study that hard (not that she actually does.)

 

With Jinri’s attention to studies—or rather, lack there of, she is sure she would get into Seoul’s most prestigious arts high school (Or at least, according to her and the pretty uniforms) Hanlim. She knows someone who had gone through the placement test of a prestigious arts university. Jinri notices it wasn’t quite a high school but it should do. After all, an arts school is an arts school no matter what, right? Himchan is his name. She has befriended him for his funny, Japanese sounding name that makes her think of Honey Senpai.

 

Himchan has told her that the test was a breeze and anybody could get into any school if they really wanted to. Himchan shouldn’t have said that. After all, Himchan takes all this musical more seriously than anybody else. He freaking studied musical theory since he was less than ten years old. Music to him is like fashion for Jinri, he is desperate for it. It is his compulsion. And without a doubt, Himchan passed the tests and interviews with no complications whatsoever. Jinri has expressed that she really wanted to get in and for that, has more confidence than a professional musician.

 

It is Jinri’s only piece of information and real-life, in-depth, actual believable source. Jinri doesn’t necessarily like Himchan all the lot, in different angles and lightings; he really does look like an anime character or some J-Pop artist. He could be one of the freaking bazillion members of EXILE for all she cared. But with his superbly deep baritone, she isn’t sure if he would receive any lines whatsoever. But she needs him.

 

 

“But you don’t even like music or the Arts.” Soojung argues once. “For starters, you’re almost tone-deaf. You’ve got no rhythm whatsoever. And the closest thing you can do, is just act. And you’re not exactly on par with Yoon Eun Hye for that matter. Though you look as pretty as her. Maybe even more so.”

 

Everything that Soojung said has almost hurt in all the right places. But what she said are not shady lies. It is almost a reality check for Jinri. Soojung really doesn’t like beating around the bush, Jinri should appreciate Soojung for acting that way but she doesn’t. Jinri is immature like that.

 

“From a friend’s stand point, I really do think it’s best if you study something more, shall I say, stable.” Soojung is actually in no place to say that. At a point in her life, she actually thought about dropping out from high school sooner or later because high school is for sore losers and college . “Technician, perhaps.”

 

“Please stop talking like that.” Jinri pleas silently. “You sound really weird talking like that.”

 

“Then go and study technician or whatever and I won’t bother you anymore!”

 

“Why do you care?” Jinri rolls her eyes. Jinri is picking on her school skirt, folding it up a few centimeters before rolling it in a down wards motion.

 

“Because…” Soojung stops herself. Jinri isn’t sure if Soojung is finding the correct words to finish her sentence to convince Jinri entirely out of her plan or if it is just for some added dramatic flair. “We’re friends.” She says finally.

 

“No.” Jinri says curtly. “That’s not enough to convince me. If you were to die I could find other friends.”

 

Soojung looks hurt for a split second but diminishes the emotion. “Fine.” She huffs out childishly, blowing her long bangs in the process.

 

“If it helps, I’m pretty sure my ideal guy now should be a technician or whatever.” Jinri tries to console but half-asses. She isn’t really guilty.

 

“Damn you’re naïve. You can’t just date technician dudes. Who knows what creepy geeks you’ll end up with! It’s almost like putting yourself out on eHarmony! And you never know what you’ll get yourself into. I’ve watched too much reality TV shows to see how real this is. Like come on! I actually think it’s shameless to lie that you’re freaking 100lbs online when you’re actually 300lbs! I mean, not fat shaming here or whatever but—“

 

Jinri drowns Soojung’s voice. Yeap, she is not guilty whatsoever.

 

 

 

 

Since Jinri is not the least bit concerned whether or not she would be graduating from high school, she decides to plunge into Hamlin and place in for an interview. Even with the slight grim yet anticipating atmosphere leeching out from soon-to-be students of Hamlin, Jinri is not the least bit worried. Not even the amazing tenor tones of a petite and slightly round girl could faze her. Jinri is already imagining herself wearing the cute school uniform.

 

Jinri is tested for several different categories. Singing, which is not Jinri’s forte. Dancing, which is not Jinri’s forte. Acting, which is not Jinri’s forte. Public broadcasting and in the very least, a fine arts program, none of which are Jinri’s forte either or at the near interest of Jinri’s one way mind.

 

Jinri’s phone keeps buzzing every few seconds with Soojung constantly asking her of any hot dudes on red alert and Victoria’s encouraging texts that are heart warming at first but just grow to become annoying afterwards. Now that Jinri thinks about it, there is one dude who Soojung would approve of being eye-catching. His hair is dyed a brown on the lighter shade and his nose bridge discouragingly high. Looking at his delicate features, Jinri swallows hardly. She probably doesn’t even have the guts to— they make eye contact. Calm the down, Jinri. Jinri audibly breathes which only makes her weird and might ruin her chances on making through the audition.

 

What is that she sees? Is that a—is that a smirk? That freaking cute dude freaking smirked? Jinri knows one thing for sure now. And that is she hates snobby cute guys who thinks and knows that they’re cute. It’s not confidence, it’s just downright snobby. But girls could definitely validate themselves into feeling that way. It isn’t unfair, it is life. And that cute dude is not confident, he is just downright snobby. A major turn-off to Jinri.

 

 

 

 

The long awaited day has arrived. Everybody is hanging around, eating spaghetti with pesto sauce and ice cream on waffles while Amber comes rushing hastily. Her excuse is that she was studying to rid herself of summer school and for some reason, it sounds plausible.

 

Jinri was leeching out for the free Wi-Fi from the café. It was compulsory, especially since she ordered something of from the menu (even if she forced Sunyoung to pay for the bill). Her fingers swipe her phone’s screen tenaciously. Hanlim is horrifyingly on point with their timings, it was just a little over 1:58 p.m. and the results are yet to be out. Maybe it's a positive point out of them and perhaps something they are oddly proud of.

 

“Chill dude. The results are going to come either way you freak out about it or act completely cool.” Sunyoung talks with full of ten-times chewed French fries.

 

Gross, Jinri thinks internally. She hasn’t even touched her ice lemonade with no syrup—she was on a strict 700kkal a day diet.

 

Minutes pass and as Jinri refreshes the website once again, her eyes scan through the list of accepted applicants.

 

“So?”

 

Soojung says after a long pause and an alleged skim through of three syllable names.

“Shhh.” Jinri hushes. “I’m still trying to read the situation here.” Her name is not there. “My name isn’t here.” Victoria has that sympathetic look on her eyes but Jinri beats her to the punch. “What does that mean? Does that mean I’m in a different VIP kind of list or what?”

 

“It means you didn’t make it in damnit.” Amber says simply. “Even I know that.” She says under her breath, Soojung sniggers and Jinri shoots them a glare.

 

“Well, boo. I guess.” Jinri blows a raspberry. Nobody does that anymore.

 

“And you’re not sad?” Sunyoung asks carefully with a pointed look. This must be the most bizarre interpretation of disappointment she has ever seen in her life.

 

“Nah. What ‘s the point anyways? I met a at the auditions, made me not want to enter the academy anymore.”

 

Before Soojung could rage all over Jinri and possible beat her up with a rolled up magazine, Victoria holds her to her place and covers .

 

“Well, I guess we don’t have to pretend to care and comfort you I guess.” Amber shrugs, so does Jinri.

 

 

 

 

 

Jinri readies herself for the first day of high school. She straightens her pleated skirt for the umpteenth time and buttons her mustard yellow blazer. Her group of friends did not know this, but she had also auditioned for another arts high school, School of Performing Arts. Luckily and magically, she got in. She doesn’t know why but doesn’t give a flying for it. Since it was an arts school, she did not expect much learning. Her days go on without much mathematical equations to be solved and she is grateful for that. She can definitely get used to this kind of education system.

 

 

 

Jinri does not want to see herself spending her afternoon with someone without the iconic mustard yellow school uniform. Therefore, she is not thrilled that she had ‘coincidentally’ bumped into Soojung as she was strolling around Guro-dong. Soojung had embarrassingly waved her arms with overzealousness and too much enthusiasm as she caught attention of the other students, Jinri wanted to dig a hole and die in there. Jinri is also not happy that Soojung had somehow managed to cajole her into getting coffee with her. Jinri is especially not happy with the sight of Soojung’s off-white but slightly crème shirt and red pleated skirt with black Nike sneakers. Jinri wanted to slap Soojung away from her sight but she needn’t detention and the added trouble of facing problems with the dean of her and Soojung’s school.

 

“I missed you!” Soojung sips her iced coffee with extra chocolate sauce.

 

“You texted me forty-seven text messages last night. And that’s not including the next twenty-eight the following morning. I swear to god, my phone almost froze and died on me.” Jinri manages to counter in disbelief as she plays with the cup in hand.

 

“Well, get a better phone.” With that innocent look on Soojung’s face, it only makes Jinri want to punch her even more.

 

“You know that’s not even conceivable and financially feasible for me. Look, I just transferred to a new school, with a new uniform and new textbooks and—“

 

“Textbooks? You’ve gotta be ting me.”

 

“Shut up. At least I care. I guess. Whatever.”

 

“Of course. All you want to do now is hang out with your new future artist and musician buddies and throw me into the gutters. Of course when I’m nothing and you’re gonna maybe be something. Or any sort of thing, maybe, you can always find better people to hang out with and a few years—“

 

“Well, that’s actually true. Earlier this morning I—“

 

“But do you not remember what I have done for you during fifth grade?” Soojung deliberately raises her tone to cut Jinri off; probably annoyed that Jinri had cut her off earlier as well.

 

“What? What could you have possible done for me at that time?” Hell, Jinri thought, pure smoking hell.

 

“You don’t remember? That issue you had with that Kim Minha.”

 

Jinri scrunches her eyebrow and looks into her memory cabinets. The only Kim Minha she can associate with is with her pair of leopard printed safety scissors Kim Minha had obviously borrowed from her and Soojung had daringly accused her of stealing it. And that happened during seventh grade.

 

“Oh, how much of a hero you are for getting her into trouble for something she didn’t do. Soojung, I’ve told you from time to time that she had clearly borrowed it for me. She even asked for my permission. “ It still boggles Jinri about how much Soojung could not process that tiny bit of information into that pretty little head of hers. “And that happened on seventh grade, you cut my hair during the fifth.”

 

“You needed a cut, I thought you looked good with a bob cut. I had a pair of scissors, so why the hell not?”

 

“I looked like a mothering Asian Dora the Explorer.”

 

“It was cute.” Soojung reminisced. “I’d love to give you a haircut again sometime.”

 

“I’ll ing cut you to look like freaking Diego.”

 

 

 

 

Back stage is hot, Jinri moans and groans. When she was picked out to walk on a runway for some type of local event somewhere in Myeongdong, she did not expect to be around a mass of screaming people. Jinri had pictured herself not being the model, but as the costume director or at least, the makeup artist. But it appears that Jinri excels in her modeling classes, so with a grateful manner and a jar of ‘at least I’m good at something’ attitude, she begrudgingly praises the workmanship of the outfit piece she is wearing. Someday, another girl would be in Jinri’s position and wear her creations, thinking to herself how beautiful the dress she is wearing. Jinri can already sense the moment in her mind, even if she might not ever meet the people who would wear her work.

 

After numerous costume and makeup changes, Jinri, still in her model outfit, watches from backstage the group of dancers the show had hired (Somehow. Actually, the group themselves asked to book for a gig) who are coincidentally the top dance troupe in Hanlim. At the sound of ‘Hanlim’, Jinri grows curious and goes to the wings. They were a five-member group, all of them quite talented in dancing. Only, one person stood out more than the rest. Jinri squints as the dude does a swift turn; Jinri catches his face and goes to an immediate shock.

 

That damn snobby bastard is actually good at dancing. No, scratch that, he is a dancing Greek god. Jinri does not realize that is slightly ajar and that she has seem to stop breathing for a few seconds until they finish up their routine with one final group stance. They bow to the cheers and make their way backstage, which is where Jinri is creeping and —they make eye contact once again but this time, Jinri is in an awkward position and looks weird.

 

The group passes Jinri, they might not have cared for her until she timidly but well-knowingly manages a suppressed “hello” with a follow up small wave and a “thank you for your hard work”. They bow and smile to themselves, proud of their accomplishments for breaking teenage girl hearts with their sleek dance moves one beat at a time.

 

The tall and emaciated, cute looking one stops his tracks and stands in front of Jinri. Jinri takes this moment to not feel bad of her height since she is wearing six-inch stilettoes. Jinri also takes this moment to take in his figure. He actually looks almost model material. He may be a little bit too skinny, but she figures the term ‘skinny’ is actually good in the industry. He could probably rock an editorial shoot or something like that. The business is harsh but worth the plunge, Jinri thinks.

 

“Well, well. Didn’t expect to see you here.” Jinri’s trail of mind is broken. She knows one thing for sure, under the model material good looks, he truly is a .

 

“What the is that supposed to mean?”

 

“SOPA, right?” he waggles his index finger at her. “Didn’t expect to see a face like yours. Especially since considering SOPA is infested with plastic surgery worthy looking dolls.”

 

“Are you implying that I am ugly?”

 

He does not respond. He probably realizes that he had said it wrong. “I’m sorry, I realize I have said it wrong.” He says after some thought.

 

“No Sherlock.”

 

A small chuckle resounds from the depths of his throat. “Well, you failed at Hanlim and now you're attending SOPA. Gotta say, pretty dead set determination you got there. I admire that about you.” He lightly knocks Jinri’s head.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“I’m Taemin by the way. Lee Taemin, dance kid extraordinaire and current Hanlim attendee.” He appears to have said it just to mess with Jinri.


“Shut up.”

 

“You know where to find me whenever you want to talk or some —“

 

“Shut up.”

 

“I’m just being friendly here—“

 

“Shut up.”

 

“You don’t seem to have any friends so—“

 

“Shut up. Shut up.”

 

 

 

After that one runway that admittedly, Jinri had done a good job on, she has put an end to her (non-existent) model career. But even if she has stop being featured at beauty pageants and the like, she finds herself more or less hanging out at SOPA’s dance studio and just stare at people uncomfortably.

 

Of course Jinri has dance lessons of her own but Jinri’s stake out is beside the point. She finds herself eating lunch there and skip classes just to stare at other people practice their dance moves. She spends her lounge time and after classes time to hang there. She figures it’s best this way, since there’s no way Soojung could brashly barge inside the SOPA school gates.

 

With her frequent attendance to the dance studio, one of the members of SOPA’s very own dance troupe had invited Jinri to an open audition for their dance troupe since it looks like Jinri is very much interested in dance. She knows the person who had offered Jinri the (at least according to Jinri) position. He is none other than Kim Jongin. Jinri has heard that he very much tops his dance lessons and was brought into SOPA for that reason.

 

There are several reasons why trying out is a bad decision. One, Jinri at dancing. Two, Jinri does not look good in yoga pants. Three, Jinri does not quite like the person who is always clinging to Jongin, the dude with the obvious lisp. And four, Jinri at dancing.

 

Jinri decides to watch the auditioning process anyways. It seems harsh, so Jinri quickly flees to check up on all the fashion related extracurricular activities for the umpteenth time.

 

 

 

Since the day Jinri was accepted into the school club regarding all things fashion, her fine arts grade has significantly improved, which betters her chances of graduating and not get dropped out. But other than that, she finds herself lost in her mind, thinking about that cute bastard. What was his name again? Taeman? Taehan? Taejun? Damn, she can’t remember. She doesn’t even know why he always comes into mind, it’s not like she’s been watching the dance group practice or anything like that—she simply is too busy for that . Damn him and his smooth dance moves that charms teenage girls heart upon first watch.

 

 

 

“Lee Taemin, man! I miss your face bro.”

 

“Hey, we can catch that movie you want to watch on Saturday night.”

 

“Sweet.” They ‘bro hug’.

 

Jinri is back into the dance studio. She isn’t actually going to watch them dance that day, but she figures watching some people dance wouldn’t be that bad. She can’t help but look at the two, they creepily resemble each other. Jinri grimaces, she doesn’t need to live her life with the fact that she knows two cute snobby bastards. But she guessed Jongin isn’t as bad as that Lee Taeman.

 

Taemin approaches Jinri. She is sitting alone all the way in the corner of the dance studio on her phone, pretending to scroll on a text and busy herself. With a smug smirk, he watches over her.

 

“What?” She snaps finally, acknowledging his presence.

 

“Nothing.” He appears to be holding back a slight chuckle. “I’m just surprised to see you here.”

 

“What the is that suppose to mean Lee Taeman?”

 

A look of amusement flickers in Taemin’s eyes for a second before it disappears. “Nothing.” He pulls something out of his jeans pocket and slips it into Jinri’s open palm. Wordlessly, he exits the dance studio.

 

Jinri gets into a standing position and reads the slip of paper.

 

‘Lee Taemin, dancing Greek god extraordinaire.’ Along with what appears to be his phone number.

 

Jinri stows the piece of paper away and decides not to crumple it up into a small ball that she can later throw at Sehun’s head whenever he pisses her off.

 

 

 

It is not intentional that Jinri happens to be at the movies with her gang on Saturday night. It is not intentional that she bumps into Jongin and Taemin (and Sehun.) It is also not intentional that she spills her coca cola into Taemin’s white shirt. It is also not intentional that he could still manage to look good with a stained shirt.

 

Nope, nope.

 

Jinri hasn’t even called his number or whatsoever. That probably wasn’t the message he was trying to send. And Jinri swears that it is not intentional when her heart races faster when she definitely unintentionally brushes her hand along with his when she tried to wipe the stain off. And it is definitely unintentional when her face reddens when she sees the text later that night that reads,

 

‘Heard you’re in fashion club. Hope you have fun with it since it’s the most important thing, fun! You better become famous enough so I can get to wear your clothes later. –Taemin’

 

He ends with a semicolon. Jinri expects to see a close parentheses or a ‘D’ or something but Taemin appears to just be a colossal idiot, especially after he texts Jinri a close parentheses shortly after.

 

 

 

One time, they meet again. Jinri is stoked that her fashion designing skills are finally shown and appreciated to her teachers and that she is given the opportunity to showcase the prototypes of her clothing pieces on some fashion gala. With this entire thing happening, Jinri doesn’t even care when she hears that one of Seoul’s top dance groups is going to perform at the show.

 

Jinri as always, watches the dance performance from backstage. She finds this to be most soothing that she doesn’t have to be surrounded by the mass of cheering and screaming crowd. The choreography is familiar and once again, it is a five-member group. They appear to have a name for themselves, SHINee.

 

Jinri eyes the tall, emaciated looking one who is dancing like a Greek god. With one swift turn, she realizes that it is none other than Lee Taemin. Jinri’s mouth is ajar for the fact that his dancing is even all the more clean-cut and crisp than it was if that was even possible.

 

With one more group stance, the music stops completely, the last of the beats echo throughout the area. They bow to the audience and seem to be pleased with their performance. On their way to backstage, they catch sight of Jinri. This time, they recognize her since she was showcased for the show after all.

 

“Oh. Choi Jinri-ssi is it?” The dark brunette says. “I saw some of your pieces and they look amazing!”

 

Jinri is taken aback on how a dude is praising her works instead of the numerous of foreign girls she has dreamed of wearing her clothes. “Um, thanks?”

 

“Come on, Kibum. Stop scaring her, let’s go.” The tallest of them all says and smiles at Jinri, signaling their leave. One of them doesn’t follow though.

 

“I gotta be honest, your works really were quite good.” He doesn’t look at Jinri, rather, he looks at his departing friends. “Maybe you do have a nick in this fashion business.”

 

“I’m not convinced that you really think that way.” This made Taemin face her. Under the dim lights from the awful backstage lighting, he can’t really make out of Jinri’s feature. But he can roughly trace the outlines of her beautifully shaped eyes and her cute lips. “Say it again to my face directly, then I’ll believe you.”

 

He does so. “You’re really pretty.” Jinri raises an eyebrow albeit her reddening face. Maybe if Jinri takes a closer look also, she can get lost into that sea of captivating chocolate eyes and get into the cheap cologne he is wearing that somehow works for him.

 

“I guess you don’t look horrible either.”

 

Taemin smiles at the fact that Jinri wouldn’t meet his gaze. The both of them stay like this for a few moments while they watch the closing act. Taemin’s hand inching dangerously close to Jinri’s, Jinri can hear her own heart thumping loudly inside her chest, that she thinks Taemin might’ve heard it. Taemin’s hand meets hers and it feels oddly right.

 

 

 

Jinri is now working everyday to the bone in her own studio with mannequins surrounding her. Jinri lashes out of sheer frustration. She has to get at least three sample prototypes by Friday evening to showcase it on the New York runway. Jinri is dead with ideas as she stares at the manly built mannequins. For some bizarre reason, the mannequin’s figure starts to take shape into a familiar looking emaciated built. Jinri stares in uncanny clarity and begins to roughly sketch in clothes that she thinks would best fit him. It is the best thing she can think of doing right now, make clothes that would look good for him.

 

 

Jinri’s creations were accepted with enthusiastic feedback and were definitely in the line up of designers for the runway. Backstage, it is still stuffy. This time, Jinri joins the crew to monitor the looks to go on with her clothes. She smiles at the female models that look happy to be wearing her designs and forge on with some of the male models. Showing them how some of the more intricate articles of clothing are supposed to be worn. She moves on to the last of them before wishing them all a tired but expressive ‘good luck’. Jinri sees the male model wearing the jacket not quite how she pictured it to be and comes up to him before jolts of electrolyte shocks course through her vessel.

 

Lee Taemin.

 

But you’re not even a model; she tries to recover from her shock.

 

The shortage of models has forced Taemin, the supposed performer for the show, to participate on the runway. Jinri is elated and dazed at the same time. She gives Taemin a final glance-over, he really does look good with those clothes on.

 

“The clothes look good.”

 

And with a small smile, he leaves to line up with the other models. Jinri watches the show in her seat at the second row from the stage. She can’t get over how much in awe she is at her hard work, no matter how narcissistic it sounds.

 

After the stress of the show, Jinri leaves with a weary smile and buys herself a celebratory drink from the pub just a few blocks from the area. She is then shocked once more to see Lee Taemin take a seat beside Jinri and buys himself Scotch on the rocks.

 

“You looked good on the runway.” Jinri pauses to take sip of her drink, she then remembers that Taemin in also a dancer. “And you’re dancing is so much better than last time. It really was amazing.” It is rare for Jinri to praise someone.

 

“Looks like you’re all grown up and mature enough to appreciate my own self-brilliance.”

 

Jinri mocks a gag. They do not say a word after and sip on their respective drinks. The sound of the outside city noise and the bar’s crowdedness fills up the air. Taemin’s hand inches closer to Jinri’s palm which is resting on the tabletop. Jinri notices this and doesn’t move her hand to her or him, it stays immobile. Taemin laces their fingers together and Jinri breathes. She feels like a teenager again because it feels so perfect.

 

 

 

 

a/n i like the ending o w o

did this even make any sense omg? i hope it did...

it feels like i just dumped it here because i was too stubborn to wait and be patient and yeah i don't even know

for once my internet connection isn't acting like a scrawny so i can post this up quickly

and how the hell did this become a 4.9k piece?