.001

Into the light

Their expectations were high, their search long. They had lost count of the times they had tried to reach it and never succeeded. Two boys at the age of 11, with the nearly same appearance. Everything looked the same, except for the smallest difference in features. The boys' hair were short and messy, cut in the same way with a fringe reaching their eyelids. Their eyes were shining, full of anxiety and desire. The two were seeking a world no living being had ever went to, a world that may not even exist. They had been called fools and the world had been called a childish fantasy. Yet the young children didn’t give up and continued their search.

 

“Let’s go back home.” The eldest boy had said.

 

“But Taemin we haven’t found it yet.” The other had protested.

 

“We’ll continue searching tomorrow Jongin. You’re hungry as well aren’t you?”

 

Jongin had fallen silent for a while. Yes he was hungry. Not to forget tired and wet. He was cold. It had been raining for days and yet the two hadn’t stopped searching. They wouldn’t give up, no matter what. Jongin had taken his brother's hand and gripped it tightly. He wouldn’t let go, ever. Taemin was the only one he had and he wouldn’t lose him either. As the two started heading back to their home Jongin’s grip began to tighten the more they got closer to their destination. The lights of a big wooden hut were on and the sound of voices could be heard. Among them were cries and yells of a female voice.

 

The twins had almost reached the building when the door opened and the bright light almost blinded the two. Jongin’s eyes had filled with fear while Taemin’s filled with anger and hatred. In the door opening they saw a female standing dressed in a long black dress and a white cap. The expression on her face would remind one of a scary witch in a fairy tale. And that’s exactly what she was. That woman, the supervisor of the orphanage, was the scary witch in the lives of the twins.

 

“Where have the two of you been?” The voice started. It was flat and low, the voice could easily belong to a male. “Don’t tell me you’ve been chasing your ridiculous fantasies again? Didn’t I tell you not to go outside? No wonder the two of you are left. Get inside and go straight to your room. You missed dinner and you’re not getting any anymore.”

 

The voice started to fill with anger as it spoke more; the two were silent. They knew that if they even made one sound, their punishment would be bigger, fiercer and of course merciless. They had kept silent and returned to their rooms without having eaten anything since lunch. Their clothes and hair were soaked. The two undressed and wrapped themselves in their blankets while waiting for their clothes to dry. Jongin had hidden cookies and bread from their guardians as it wasn’t allowed to have food in your room. As the two children were eating their meal for the evening they discussed about their search.

 

“Tomorrow! Tomorrow we will definitely find it.” Taemin assured his little brother.

 

And with those reassuring words, both fell asleep silently.

 

The next morning came and the two were woken up by the sound of the voice they both hated. The sound felt like the scratching of your nails on a blackboard to them. The hated it so much that they’d do everything to silence it. After washing up and going to the dining hall to eat their breakfast, both had to see the head of the orphanage. He was old, in his sixties, but gentle. Both Taemin and Jongin liked him, he was like a grandfather to them. Following their guardian, the twins entered the office and gazed at a large classic wooden desk with a big white haired man sitting behind it. He was smiling, he always smiled.

 

“Take a seat children.” He told him.

 

His voice was gentle, yet direct and strict. The two heads nodded and made their way to the wooden chairs in front of the desk.

 

“I heard you two went out again yesterday.”

 

Jongin’s eyes fell down. He didn’t like the disappointment in his eyes. He always used to be proud of him and praise him when he did things right, but the disappointment was paining him.

 

“Yes.” Taemin had answered confidently.

 

“Did you find anything?” He had asked again.

 

This time Taemin’s eyes fell down and Jongin knew that he had the responsibility to reply this time.

 

“No.”

 

His voice was low, almost in a whisper when he had replied. The two heard the old man sigh. A sigh of disappointment, or worry? They didn’t know and didn’t want to know. They had enough of people looking down at them because of what they believed. They didn’t want to listen to them anymore. They were smart enough to make decisions and act according to them.

 

“You know that you broke the rules, don’t you?”

 

The two boys didn’t move their eyes from the floor and just nodded in response, completely in silence.

 

“You two can’t go outside today. You can’t leave the sisters’ sights, am I clear?”

 

Even when giving punishments his voice was gentle. Jongin’s eyes began to fill with tears as his brother hopped to his feet from the chair. He took his brother's hand and turned away from the old man. They left the room and headed for their dormitory. Taemin dove under his bed and took out a backpack too large for his frame. He told Jongin to gather everything they would need and the younger did so. Once the backpack was filled they hid it under the bed again.

 

“We’ll leave this afternoon when we’re on cleaning duty. We’ll come back here and go through that window.” Taemin instructed as he pointed at the window of the room.

 

“But this is the second floor.” Jongin objected.

 

He was afraid of heights and jumping would be their death, he was smart enough to know that.

 

“We’ll climb into the big oak.” Taemin had said.

 

“But...” Jongin wanted to object. It was dangerous, way too dangerous and the two were just kids. He knew that very well. Upon his hand being grabbed, the youngest shook a little. The boy glanced at his brother whom seemed to be smiling at him. It was his reassuring smile. The smile that said “Everything will be okay!” to the boy, the smile he hated, because it always convinced him. The boy nodded and squeezed his brothers hand as he was holding back the tears.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

It was finally time. The two had managed to get out of the sisters’ sights and they were probably looking for them now. Taemin had hurried to grab the bag and opened the window. The wind was strong and it was still raining, but they had to go. A bit of water wouldn’t stop them from reaching their goal, for finding what they have been looking for this long. They would finally find it today. How long had they been searching now? A few months, a year, maybe two? It didn’t matter to them, as long as they found it.

 

“Let’s hurry!” Taemin told Jongin. “I’ll go first to catch you when you jump.”

 

It wasn’t the first time he had jumped into that tree, but Jongin was still worried. With this weather, it was dangerous. The wind was strong enough to blow away the tree. And when Taemin jumped the younger thought his heart had skipped a beat. Of course the boy had reached the tree.The first stable branch was about a meter away from the window. When Taemin had reached it, he hung the loaded backpack on another branch and climbed back close to the tree to catch his little brother.

 

“Come on!” He had shouted as he reached out his hands.

 

Taemin was already soaked from being outside for a few minutes. His hair was sticking to his face and the insides of the backpack wouldn’t be dry for long either. Behind Jongin the door opened and in the opening there was a little boy standing. His name was Tao and he was a real bully, donning blond hair and cat-like eyes full of mischief. The boy opened his mouth and a loud voice hollered.

 

“SISTER! The twins are trying to escape again!”

 

Jongin’s heart skipped a beat as he heard running steps down the hall. The boy glanced at his brother whom was shouting at him to hurry up. The younger climbed out of the window and glanced at the ground, it was high and he was scared. A few tears escaped his eyes, their heat burning the cold skin. It didn’t take long for him to hear the shouts of the voice he hated behind him. That voice was the push he needed. Without more hesitation the boy jumped into the arms of his brother.

 

People gathered below them under the big oak. There was no way they could climb down without being caught. They found a way to climb from tree to tree over the big fences that kept them closed in the little world. The fences that would only open when the mailman was here or the big truck arrived. Those were the moments that the two used to escape and continue their search. They weren’t far from the orphanage when the two saw a light below the seventh tree. Jongin stopped and gazed at it for a moment.

 

“Hey Taemin... didn’t grandma say that mama and papa went to the light? Maybe that’s where they are?” he proposed.

 

Listening to his brother’s words and staring at the light below them, it all made sense. Grandma did say that and that’s where their parents should be, behind the light. Taemin took his brother’s hand and in response Jongin squeezed back. A peaceful smile had spread on both faces.

 

“Let’s go.” Both said in unison.

 

And with that both jumped down the 15 meters high tree. As Taemin’s right hand was holding Jongin’s left hand and their free hands were reaching out to the light, both of them closed their eyes. They had found it, they could finally be reunited with their beloved parents, beyond the light.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

October 12th 2009, Seoul

11 year old orphans Taemin and Jongin were found dead below a tree next the highway xxx around 8 PM. Cranberry Orphanage had reported them missing several hours earlier. Several escaping attempts were reported before.