(1/2)

Desserts

A/n: It kinda turned pretty long so I decided to split it


 

"Sooooo? How did it go?!"

 

The door was barely open for him but Jongdae didn't let that hinder him from asking the question. Of course, he has been dying to know what happened, and he would have interrogated Kyungsoo or Jongin (either or, doesn't really matter he just wanted to know), but he had important matters to attend to with Baekhyun regarding some very important late schoolwork that he completely misses the chance to ask during school.

 

Now that his assignment is out of the way, and his grade hopefully salvaged, there is nothing stopping him from being involved with Kyungsoo's possible love life. Except maybe for that wonderful smell wafting from the kitchen. Jongdae follows his nose into the kitchen, not minding Kyungsoo who was trailing after him as if the house was not his own and rolling his eyes at Jongdae.

 

"What are you baking?", he asks while simultaneously trying to peek into the oven's window to see if whatever is being baked is chocolate or not.

 

"Chocolate fudge brownies", Kyungsoo replies, "And some muffins, and some more cupcakes"

 

"Whoa! I can't eat all that chocolate.  What's the occasion?"

 

"Thats because they weren't for you, dork. Seungsoo hyung is coming home, so I made them all chocolate.", Kyungsoo crouches down next to Jongdae to look into the window as well.

 

"But, now that I think about it.... I may have gone a little overboard"

 

"A little?", Jongdae blanches, "Try a lot. There's enough in there to feed a village!", he says gesturing into the oven.

 

"But don't worry, I, prince Jongdae the amazing myself, will volunteer to save the village from death by sugar and eat all the leftovers by myself!", he exclaims.

 

He gets a flick on the forehead instead.

 

"No. You're not eating any of these. You've had far too much yesterday! Any more and you'll make yourself sick! I don't want you to come crying to me about a stomach ache because you had too much chocolate than your stomach can handle and blame it all on me, again", he faux glared at his best friend.

 

Jongdae puts a hand on his stomach and sighed instead at the memory of the wonderful cupcakes.

 

"Aaah, yes. Those cupcakes. They are the key to heaven I tell you. Jongin is a lucky lucky man" he sighed once more before remembering his sole purpose of invading Kyungsoo's home today.

 

"Wait. You haven't told me what happened yet! Stop distracting me! What happened?!!"

 

"Oww!", Kyungsoo yelps, having received a smack on his thigh courtesy of Jongdae.

 

"Calm down, you're the one who went swooping into the kitchen. What happened when?"

 

"At school!! This morning!! Today! Jongin!!! THE CUPCAKES!!", Jongdae yells as he shakes his friend in frustration. Call him crazy but he needs to know. Never again will he sleep soundly at night unless he finds out what happened between the two.

 

"Ooh, that", Kyungsoo replies calmly, "I gave him the cupcake and he didn't laugh at me. The end"

 

"And then?"

 

"Um... He said he likes chocolate and peanut butter?"

 

"Aaand?"

 

"...He said they were cute?"

 

"That's it???"

 

"Oh! He gave me a present as well!", he reaches to the counter for the open cook book and showcases it to his best friend, "See?"

 

"Aww, thats cute", Jongdae says half-heartedly, "and then??"

 

"Err.... We went to class.", Kyungsoo replies confusedly. What got Jongdae so excited anyway?

 

"THATS IT???!?"

 

"Yeees? Is there supposed to be more of the story that I'm not aware of somehow?"

 

Jongdae wants to groan aloud and shout to the world YES, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET TOGETHER AND KISS!!, but Kyungsoo's words stopped him.

 

"He did say something weird before we went to class... Something about going o-", Kyungsoo cuts his own sentence with a loud gasp as a thought entered his mind.

 

"It couldn't be...", he starts muttering to himself.

 

"Ho-"

 

"Wha..."

 

"No!"

 

Jongdae can only watch as kyungsoo mutters nonsensical things to himself as his face alternates between expressions of bewilderment, shock, and disbelief. Jongdae doesn't know whether to laugh or cry as the realisation dawns on him that Jongin seems to have asked Kyungsoo to go out and his young, naive little friend hadn't understood what he said until now.

 

Jongdae settles on shaking his head. He knows that his best friend is rather innocent and have never shown any inclination on dating anyone, even when he has had a few crushes during his lifetime. He didn't realise this would lead to blocking out people's advances on him. Even so, he can't really say that this is a negative trait of his friend's because if he recalls properly, there was quite a few guys and girls who looked like they wanted to catch Kyungsoo's attention even from their earlier middle school years.

 

He has been wondering why Kyungsoo has never said anything about those people asking him for a date or anything like that. He thought it was just Kyungsoo being too shy after rejecting their advances to talk to him about it, but now he realised that Kyungsoo probably never even understood that they were asking him out. He can just imagine Kyungsoo replying an innocent "Of course I like you, you're my friend!", after someone has confessed their feelings for him. He cant help but feel sorry for those people.

 

Not too much though. He's still sailing with JongSoo.

 

Jongdae turns his attention back to Kyungsoo who has now turned completely red in the face and is currently hiding them behind his folded knees, and still muttering soft 'noooooo's and 'he must hate me now's. He gets a little worried when Kyungsoos face turns an even brighter red.

 

"Okay, Soo, calm down before you give yourself a fever or something", Jongdae says as he pats his friend on the back a little.

 

"But I did something horribbleeeeee", wailed Kyungsoo.

 

He starts whining again, and it really sounds like he is about to cry any time soon. Like most people his age, Kyungsoo doesn't normally cry over the littlest things, which is good because if there is one thing Jongdae doesn't have the heart to face, it is his best friend crying.

 

Jondae hears noises from the living room, but he is much too concerned over stopping the waterworks to care about it.

 

"There there, Soo, it can't have been that bad", he attempted for comfort but it was quite hard to keep the amusement off his face.

 

"It was!", Kyungsoo whines, "He actually said 'would you like to go out with me' and then I actually said-"

 

"Wow, I take days off to spend time with you guys and this is the welcome I get?", they hear a new voice from the door.

 

"Hi hyung", they both greeted Seungsoo. Jongdae not as enthusiastic as Kyungsoo as he had cut the gossip short.

 

"Why are you two on the floor?", he asks regarding their slouched positions next to the oven.

 

"And why is Kyungsoo's face so red? Are you sick?", He asks worriedly, hurrying over to where Kyungsoo is huddled and glaring at Jongdae as if it was his fault.

 

It wasn't. Not really.

 

"I'm okay, we were just-", Kyungsoo gasps loudly as he remembers the reason why they were sitting next to the oven in the first place.

 

He then proceeded to bustle around the kitchen and getting pans upon pans of brown- looking goods out of the oven, all the while chanting a panicked 'No No No!!'.

 

Both Jongdae and Seungsoo makes a noise of delight at the sight of them, although Kyungsoo doesn't seem to share their happiness.

 

"Is this all for me? Thanks so much Soo!", Seungsoo moves to hug his little brother and at the same time reach across him to get one of those delicious looking chocolaty goods.

 

Unfortunately, he gets a hard slap on his hand before he could reach them.

 

"Ow! Wha-"

 

"Hyung, no! You can't eat them! They're burnt!!"

 

"Kyungsoo, what are you talking about? They're perfectly fi-"

 

"No! They are burnt! Can't you smell it?", He says with a panicked look in his face,"Here look"

 

Kyungsoo grabs a small knife and praises a muffin out of it's wrapper.

 

"See!", he points at the bottom where the corners and some parts have been much darker than the rest.

 

"Kyungsoo, they are really not big of a deal", Seungsoo tries to assure him as Jongdae nods somewhere in the background.

 

"But hyuung, you just came back after like, 1000 years. I'm not letting you eat something I burnt. Wait here. I still have some batter I saved. I'll make something better", he says frantically, grabbing a bowl from the fridge and pushing his brother out of the kitchen.

 

Seungsoo decides to let it go. Kyungsoo is a teenager after all. He still remembers how important it was to let them have their way sometimes. There is no harm in doing so this time around anyway. Except maybe the torture of a couple of hours of waiting that he will have to go through. The chances of him surviving that will be slim, but he thinks it will be fine if it was for his only brother.

 

"Don't I at least get a welcome hug before you kick me out?", he says instead as he opens his arms.

 

Kyungsoo puts himself inside the embrace and pats his brother's back a couple of times before pushing him away.

 

"Okay, thats enough. Go greet umma or something"

 

Seungsoo complies, slinking away with a wail of 'Ummaaaa! I'm homeee, and baby Soo doesn't love me anymooore!'.

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. Tattletale. Of course he loves his idiot of a brother. Which is why he is not letting him eat disgusting dessert while he is home. Kyungsoo has no time for hugs when he is trying to fix his cooking.

 

He almost forgot about the other idiot in the kitchen.

 

"Does that mean I can-"

 

"No. If you want a stomach ache that bad Jongdae, I can punch you in the stomach right now"

 

Jongdae pouts, but he knew well that Kyungsoo is right.

 

"Well, if you're not gonna let me and Seungsoo hyung eat it, does that mean you'll be finishing them by yourself then?", he looks forlornly at the inviting pieces of (slightly burnt) heaven still on the tray.

 

Kyungsoo stops pouring batter over the mold to contemplate his words. He hasn't really thought about it.

 

"I guess so...", he says unsurely, looking at the pile of food dubiously.

 

"As long as you two don't touch it, I don't really care"

 

Jongdae makes an exaggerated sad face at his little friend.

 

"We care for you so much and this is how you repay us?", he says as he wipes an invisible tear off his face.

 

Kyungsoo aims a kick at him.

 

"Really though, why don't you just give it to your friends?"

 

"Give my friends burnt cupcakes?? They'll hate me for life! Then I won't have any other friends besides you ever again!!"

 

Kyungsoo knows he's being dramatic, but how can Jongdae not understand the very fact that Kyungsoo has burnt them. Not overly cooked, burnt.

 

Jongdae sighs, "But they are really not that bad", he tries again, picking one up from the pan before getting it smacked off his hand right after.

 

Kyungsoo simply gives him an exasperated look and whined. He knows Jongdae doesn't like him whining as he doesn't like it when Jongdae whines. Although he supposes it's not quite for the same reasons, but what is the point of being slightly cute if you can't use it as an advantage?

 

His best friend relents quickly.

 

"Okay, fine. Not me, your family, or your friends. What if I give them out to my friends then?"

 

Kyungsoo thinks about it. Jongdae has a lot of good friends. It probably won't be much of a problem for him to distribute it quickly. Plus, he is friends with many of the popular kids. Most of them probably haven't even heard of his name before. He can deal with some popular kids thinking some nerd burnt his muffins.

 

"Okay", Kyungsoo agrees, "But I have rules"

 

"What kind of rules? Can't I just give them to any of my friends who are not your friends as well?"

 

"Yeah, but you are not allowed to eat any of these, or let them give you a piece or anything. Absolutely none", he says sternly.

 

"Sheesh, okay. I get it Soo. No chocolate. I'm really not that big of an idiot.", Jongdae couldn't help the annoyed tone on his voice.

 

Kyungsoo became a little quiet at his words.

 

"I'm just worried", he mumbles softly.

 

Jongdae's heart melts completely at the confession.

 

"I know", he says just as softly. He gives his tiny best friend a small hug, careful not to ruin the premature muffins on Kyungsoo's hands.

 

The kitchen was quiet then. It was a nice, contemplative sort of silence. The only noise was Kyungsoo fiddling with the controls of the oven to get it to the desired temperature. Jongdae ponders at the brownies. He then cracks a smirk before breaking the quiet.

 

"Hey Kyungsoo, I know someone who won't mind having all these to himself"

 

Kyungsoo was a little distracted by cleaning something, so he doesn't really understand why his friend sounds so amused.

 

"Mm, thats good I guess. You won't have a hard time getting people to take them from you."

 

Jongdae waits.

 

It was a couple of minutes before Kyungsoo made a gasp.

 

"You don't mean Jongin do you?? Please tell me you weren't planning to give most of these to Jongin??"

 

Jongdae laughs at his slow response.

 

"Why not? He's a friend of mine too now. And as far as I remember, he isn't exactly a part of yours", he says smugly.

 

"No! Nonono you can't! Jongdae, promise me you won't give him any. Thats another rule."

 

"What? Why not?"

 

"He gave me the cookbook!! I can't have him thinking I completely wasted it by making burnt things out of its recipes!!", Kyungsoo actually looks like he's panicking.

 

"Kyungsoo, you're really making this whole thing a much bigger deal than it actually is", Jongdae tells his friend carefully.

 

"But Jongdaaaeee...", Kyungsoo whines again.

 

Jongdae was ready to reassure him again, but the pink patches on Kyungsoo's otherwise pale skin tells him that this might not be only about burnt food. Perhaps Kyungsoo is simply getting very aware of Jongin. A confession does tend to make you that way. From the looks of it, Kyungsoo doesn't seem to mind the idea of liking Jongin that way, and that certainly isn't bad news for Jongin.

 

Therefore, Jongdae decides to smile at his cutest friend.

 

"Alright then. None for me, your friends, and Jongin. Okay?"

 

"Okay"

 

"Good"

 

Because Jongdae might know a way to use this situation for their own goods.


 

A/n: So yeah more things will happen soon. Any guesses?