Let's Make a Bet

C.A.I.L

“Myungsoo, in the history of people and bad luck, I think you have the worst luck of all,” Sarang said as she gave him a handful of tissues to stop his nosebleed.

Days of strenuous exercise and practice had led up to this day, which was sports day, but all of Myungsoo’s hard work might have went down the drain when the side effect of bad luck decided to kick in that very same day.

Myungsoo knew that he was quite an unfortunate fellow, but he didn’t know that he was that unfortunate to have the side effect occur on the very day where he was supposed to show the love of his life how athletically attractive he was.

Sarang also didn’t know that this was going to happen since side effects from eating the gummy usually happened the day after the gummy’s power wore off. She should have known that it was strange when it didn’t occur on the day she was expecting it to, but it was too late to do anything about it when Myungsoo got pooped on by a bird, which always indicated that it had appeared.

After that first incident, it led to a series of events where Myungsoo continuously tripped even when he was standing in one place, missed the bus to work and arrived at the office late, nearly got forgotten by the whole company staff as they got on the bus that takes them to the sports event while he was busy panicking in a stuck elevator—he fortunately was found in time by Sarang—and the most recent incident being that he was struck right in the face with a basketball during the basketball match he had worked so hard to practice for.

He barely made it 8 minutes into the game before having to sit out because of a bloody nose.

Myungsoo was still trying to stop the flow of blood while Sarang looked at him sadly as she gave him a comforting pat on his back. “I didn’t know that your bad luck was this bad,” she said. “I can’t imagine how you must have lived up until now? Was it hard?”

She faked a cry and wailed, “Our poor Myungsoo, why does the world have to be so cruel to you?”

“Ha ha, very funny,” he said at her and her over dramaticness. “Now you know how much it to be me.”

“Don’t say that.” She stopped her fake cry and placed a hand on his shoulder. “It doesn’t to be you since you were able to meet me: the prettiest, most adorable, and best CAIL around here.” She placed both hands on the sides of her face in a flower pose and flashed a cute smile.

He stared at her for a moment before stating, “That doesn’t make me feel any better.”

Her smile dropped. “Well, I tried. I tried to make you feel better, but since it’s not working I guess I have to find someone else for this.”

She smiled again, but this time it was a smile that made him feel uneasy from not knowing what she was about to do. “Seolhyun-ssi!” she called out to Seolhyun, who was conveniently heading toward the bleachers that they were at.

Seolhyun went over to them after seeing Sarang waving at her. “This guy over here just got hurt from playing basketball, so can you look after him for me? The relay race is coming up, and I'm participating in that so I can't stay here.”

Myungsoo could feel a sense of panic washing over him as he was once again going to be left alone with Seolhyun without an early warning from his counselor.

“Oh sure, I can look after him.” Seolhyun sat down next to him, while he in return laughed nervously.

“I-I’m alright. You don't need to stay—”

“My friend, why are you so very kind and thoughtful?” Sarang said, attempting to naturally show Seolhyun his appealing character traits. “You should've seen what he did after he got hit by the basketball. Even when blood was starting to drip from his nose, he still insisted to stay and play for the team.” Sarang sighed in admiration. “Isn't he just the sweetest? There's no one else in this world who is as sweet as Kim Myungsoo over here.”

The overplayed description of him and his actions were so exaggerated and embarrassing that he consciously hid his face by keeping his head low, not daring to look at either of the girls. Also, to be honest he didn't stay on the court after being hit because he wanted to. He stayed because of the dizziness he felt after the unexpected impact, which resulted in him being too dazed to leave the court even with his teammates surrounding him and suggesting that he should take a break. It was only when Sarang pushed through the crowd and piggybacked him back to the bleachers did he begin to think again.

“Yeah, I saw. He looked really cool when he did that. He even looked handsome.” Seolhyun giggled, face turning red from blushing.

“Really?” Sarang asked excitedly. “Did you also see him play? He scored like 16 points before the basketball got to him, and that was all in 8 minutes.”

Seolhyun nodded. “I was watching the whole thing. Myungsoo, I never thought you could play like that. No offense, but you never looked like the athletic type.”

He finally lifted his head up and was about to say something, but was once again interrupted by Sarang.

“That's not true. He works out a lot. Feel this.” She brought Seolhyun’s hand to his arms where his newly formed muscles, thanks to the last few days of working out and consuming the magical gummy, could be seen from his sleeveless shirt. He didn't want to wear it at first because of his shyness, but continuous urging from Sarang convinced him to wear it just this once.

“Wow, I didn't notice that your arms were this toned…” Seolhyun said, mesmerized by the eye candy.

This caused for Myungsoo to feel awkward as Seolhyun couldn't take her eyes off of his arms. It wasn't like he was that muscular, but he did admit that his arms were less flabby compared to him a few days ago. He didn't understand why Seolhyun couldn't take her eyes off of it though, and looked to Sarang for help since it was getting a little too awkward for him.

But of course, Sarang only smiled deviously and left, leaving him alone with his crush once again.

“U-Um, Seolhyun?” He pushed her hand away, making her embarrassingly let out a cough. “Sarang left.”

“Where did she go?” she asked, intentionally changing the subject.

“I don't know. She just left.”

“She must be preparing for the relay race.”

An “oh” coming from Myungsoo in reply was the last word that was said between them before they stopped talking, neither having a clue of what to converse about. He was still not good at bringing up a topic to talk about besides from cats, with no knowledge of any other shared interest there was between them. He silently wished that Sarang was still there with her keen ability of being able to bring up random topics to talk about.

Luckily an announcement broke the silence, calling those participating in the relay to proceed to the track in order to start the race. After a few minutes, the participants were in their positions, the majority of them stretching and preparing for the competition with every one of them being more serious than they should be.

His eyes searched the field for someone specific in mind, and finally saw her standing next to Sunwoong.

“It seems like Sarang is the last person running, but she's going against Sunwoong so there's no way her team is going to win,” Seolhyun said matter-of-factly.

“Why do you say that?”

“I've seen Sunwoong run and he's extremely fast. He used to be a track and field star in his school.”

He stared at Sarang and unknowingly said, “Sarang is going to win.”

“You think she's going to win?” Seolhyun asked. She saw him look at her in surprise, which made her laugh. “You're just saying that because you're her friend.”

He knew that what Seolhyun said wasn't true. He fully believed and knew that Sarang was going to win because he knew how fast she actually was. He was also surprised that he felt offended from what Seolhyun said. He never thought that he could feel that way towards his Goddess, but he didn't like how she doubted that Sarang could win.

“I'm not saying that because I'm her friend,” he started to say, not knowing where he mustered up the courage. “She's definitely going to win.”

“You really think so?” He nodded in reply. “Then let's make a bet. If Sarang wins then I'll grant you a wish. If Sunwoong wins, you'll grant me a wish. How does that sound?”

“Sounds great.”

With the whole thing happening so fast that he didn't even know how exactly it happened, Myungsoo made his very first bet with Seolhyun.


 

I'm really sorry for not updating for so long, and I do not have any good excuses. In summary it was a bad combination of being too busy to write and also having a writer's block. I'm so sorry for making you guys wait for so long for a new chapter. XC

After coming back to the website after months of not visiting, I saw that some of you were waiting for another chapter and I felt really bad for making you wait. So with that I finally finished the chapter and quickly read it over and uploaded it, but I have to admit that it took months to write this because of my own imcompetence. Sorry for the bad quality and boring events. I got really rusty. XC

And I will most likely not be able to publish another chapter until some time. These days it has been taking me really long to write, so it may take long for another update. I hope that this gif of Myungsoo doing aegyo will somewhat allow you to forgive me.