Final

In the End, it's the Two of Us

A/N: I sincerely wish a happy marriage for Sungmin, okay? This is purely fictional. :-:


They both didn’t know how it all began but one small gathering of all members made everything stop and they found themselves going back to the old days where the two of them were together, in their dorm room. Just like how they are rooming together in a hotel, miles away from their hometown nothing but their old bandmates rooming next to them, enjoying the company of each other, reliving the old Super Junior.

Sungmin bursted out the door and everyone peeked out just to see their bunny, running down the hallway, trying his best and pushing the button of the elevator as hard as he can just to get in.

Leeteuk came out, walked towards the wide open door and saw Kyuhyun sitting by the edge of the bed, gripping tightly on the covers, tears threatening to fall. He approached the magnae and sat beside him.

“What’s the matter?” Leeteuk asked and Kyuhyun only shook his head before getting up and running out the room. Kangin made way for the tall man with brown mop of a hair who’s rushing too down the hall.

Kangin peeked inside and found Leeteuk smiling brokenly at him. His face, sligthly stained with a few lines and marks from being a bit old.

It’s been ten years, after the last Super Show since Super Junior had gathered together after breaking apart. All of them got their own separate lives, until Hankyung had asked Heechul for marriage and they all agreed to go to Amsterdam for the nuptials.

“Kids,” Kangin said as he approached Leeteuk and placed a warm palm against his cheek. “Don’t worry, they’ll be fine. Why don’t we go back to our room and retrieve for tonight?”

“I’m worried. You know, they didn’t get to fix their problem even before we disbanded,” Leeteuk retorted and Kangin sighed. He still acted like their old mom.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine,” a voice broke them two and Leeteuk eyed the princess, carrying a bouquet of flowers, leaning against the doorframe. His bowtie all crooked and he eyed the two inside the room. “This is Sungmin and Kyuhyun we’re talking about. They’ll figure things out.”

Leeteuk nodded and Kangin offered a hand to get up. “Unless it’s Hyukie and Hae fighting, then I think we really need to get worried.” Heechul added teasingly just to ease the heavy atmosphere Sungmin and Kyuhyun had left off. The two dancers shouted We heard that! together and Leeteuk stifled a soft chuckle.

Sungmin settled by the lounge bar, and ordered a glass of whiskey. He couldn’t really remember since when he’d started drinking whiskey; maybe the time his marriage is starting to break apart and he’d been meaning to tell Kyuhyun about it, but Kyuhyun’s just too busy with his musicals and the release of his 5th album; or maybe the time his wife left him feeling lost and guilty for not being able to receive the love she deserves from Sungmin. Maybe both. He didn’t know.

“Hey,” Kyuhyun’s voice broke the stillness and Sungmin shifted his glass to the other end, turning his back to Kyuhyun.

“Leave. I don’t want to see you.” Sungmin muttered brokenly.

He never did find out, rather, he never did ask what Kyuhyun’s real feelings was, about him getting a girlfriend. He didn’t even hear his opinions about marrying after almost a year of dating, and yet he still has this effect on him. Kyuhyun still has it.

Sungmin couldn’t quite pondered what made him stop asking for Kyuhyun’s approval. He was hoping that Kyuhyun would beg for them to flee away, change identities and live together somewhere. He never did find the confidence to man up and corner Kyuhyun about his thoughts and why, even after their honeymoon, Sungmin has still clung onto Kyuhyun. He never did find out, and he regretted everything because looking at Kyuhyun now, face a bit wriggly, and flimsy; hair, still the same brown mop and; smile, still as alluring as ever, just makes his stomach do summersaults nonstop.

“Look, I didn’t know what I did wrong, okay,” Kyuhyun broke and that’s the first time Kyuhyun had really ever fought back at him, questioned him. It was their first time to actually talk about feelings and it felt like standing side by side on the stage again, performing with him. It felt like Sungmin’s watching him sing again, and let him, hug him from the back, caress him, and they both knew that at the end of the performance, they’ll be wrapped in each other’s arms, basking in the warmth of making love.

“You should’ve stopped me,” Sungmin croaked back almost like a whisper. Kyuhyun was taken aback because he had clearly known what Sungmin had meant. “You should’ve done something. But you didn’t!”

It never did occur in his head that he would snap out of something so petty like Sungmin marrying to someone he had a short fling with. It never did occur to him that it would be much of a big deal against his integrity but he swooped the bottle of whiskey from the table, grabbed one of Sungmin’s hands and pulled him back to the elevator across the lounge and hallway.

“Let me go,” Sungmin tried to fight but he was slammed against the wall and the door closed.

“I won’t. Not now, never again!” Kyuhyun beckoned and Sungmin scowled before giving up. But his eyes went from a death stare to a soft gaze and he tried to fight hitching from what Kyuhyun had just said. Kyuhyun hadn’t let go of his wrist, but instead, shifted his hand and held onto Sungmin’s. The older flinched but still looked away.

They reached the rooftop and Kyuhyun is just happy that the rooftop is empty. He located one bench, a few steps away from them and pushed Sungmin down to sit.

He knelt before Sungmin and Sungmin held onto his hand like a kid, not wanting to lose from his mom.

“Sungmin,” Kyuhyun began and god did he miss that sultry, velvet voice calling his name. He hadn’t realized that 10 years had been a long time for him and he sure missed Kyuhyun kneeling before him. He hadn’t realized that despite such a long time, he still loves Kyuhyun despite everything that hurdled his life—their lives.

He missed how his eyes would widen every time he would smile, or how Kyuhyun’s hair would bounce on his cheeks after a long and tiring practice; or whenever they’re curled on the bed, telling stories about their future together.

Kyuhyun placed the bottle beside the bench and cupped Sungmin’s cheeks. He still is kneeling and Sungmin had been starting to fight off the tears.

“I miss you.”

It was short, simple and quick but it made Sungmin leap on his seat and hug Kyuhyun in his arms, tight and in need. Kyuhyun hugged him back, his hand running up and down against the back of the older man.

“I miss you too.” Sungmin replied and it was enough for Kyuhyun to smile.

They didn’t talk after that, because feeling each other’s embrace and warmth is more than enough for now. They both headed back to their room and Kyuhyun offered to give Sungmin a massage after they separately washed up. It was a rather slow night, even if the clock screams 12 o’clock.

No words were exchanged while Kyuhyun massaged Sungmin’s scalp while he laid his head on Kyuhyun’s laps. It was only smiling, and soft touches that meant more than anything right now. So much more.

“Since when was it?” Kyuhyun asked when they settled on the bed, lying side by side. It had been hours since they got in Amsterdam, prepared for the wedding and attended to every bandmate, and yet it felt like they still have so much more energy for each other. Sungmin closed his eyes and Kyuhyun reached to cup his face softly. He stared at the man he loves for more than 20 years now and he smiled at how everything seemed perfect right now.

“When you entered the army,” Sungmin replied.

“But we still had SS8 then. When I came back,” Kyuhyun croaked confused.

“You know how good I am at faking,” Sungmin replied, breathing deeply and Kyuhyun placed a thumb on his closed left eye.

“You’ve been bearing a bad marriage for such a long time and you didn’t tell me?”

“I couldn’t tell you.” Sungmin replied weakly and Kyuhyun didn’t fail to notice how broken his smile had been.

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

“And I love you too. I still do.”

Sungmin cracked his eyes open and saw Kyuhyun smiling warmly at him.

“I know.”

“Let me make it up to you.” Kyuhyun chirped, leaning closer and pressing his forehead against Sungmin’s.

“What for?”

“I pissed you awhile ago, when we got here in our shared room.”

“It’s my fault for overreacting. I should’ve known better. I actually like it when you hug me.” Sungmin confessed and this time his smile was happier and brighter.

“Then, let me make it up to our love,” Kyuhyun rasped, placing an arm around Sungmin’s waist and pulling the older closer. “Let me make you happy.”

“You always make me happy.” Sungmin replied, nuzzling closer and placing a hand on Kyuhyun’s chest.

“This time, I wouldn’t let you go.” Kyuhyun said and he leaned down to press a chaste kiss on Sungmin’s lips. It felt like going back home, together and never ever letting go. It was so familiar that Sungmin pulled him closer and Kyuhyun smiled, recalling everything they used to do together, and making a promise that he’ll be with Sungmin, forever.