3/3

The Art of War
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few guards burst into the room when they heard the sound and finds that Nakayama has been shot dead by their own Lieutenant General.

“You worthless bastard!” A guard strikes him in the face, “How dare you to betray General Nakayama!” Countless punches and kicks are thrown to Yifan but the latter doesn’t seem to try to defend himself, accepting everything that is thrown to him.

Baba, Mama, Zitao, wait for me. He closes his eyes and hopes that it will be over soon when few gun shots are heard and the kicks and punches suddenly stop.

“Are you stupid? Why don’t you defend yourself?” The speaker sounds so angry, yet making Yifan chuckles because he recognizes that voice.

“Luhan? Am I dead?”

The man snorts, “No, you stupid! Of course not! Junhee will kill me if I let you die.”

The name alone makes him alert, “You are supposed to be with her and take care of her! Why are you here?”

“Calm down, Fan. She is safe in the Chinese army’s barrack. As you say, I strike a deal with their General not to let Junhee go into the field. Tough cookie, she is.” Luhan snorts but Yifan knows that he grows fond of Junhee.

“Indeed.”

“Now let’s go from here.”

---

“Why I can’t join the rest fighting?” Junhee almost screams at Kim Minseok. She is now guarded by Sehun and Kyungsoo, since Minseok doesn’t trust Sehun to be able to handle Junhee alone.

“I can’t. The Lieutenant General Xi Luhan personally makes me promise to him not to let you go.”

Junhee snorts, “I have trained all these years for this moment. There is no way you can forbid me.”

Junhee is only few more steps from the door when suddenly the world starts spinning and darkness engulfs her.

“Junmyeon ge!”

“Sehun, bring Dr. Byun here! Kyungsoo, I need help to move him to a better place!”

---

Never in his 7 years of career as the military doctor, has Byun Baekhyun experienced something like this. How in the world I am going to explain this to Minseok-ge?

“How is he, Baekhyun?” Minseok has been waiting with Sehun and Kyungsoo in front of the check up room when Baekhyun finally steps out.

“You mean her? She is fine, only a little bit stressed out.”

The men just exchanges glances with each other, not believing what they have heard so Byun Baekhyun, as a doctor, needs to clarify this himself.

“Yes, you heard it just right. Kim Junmyeon is a woman and she is 3 weeks into her pregnancy.”

Oh Sehun faints when he hears that.

---

By the time she gains back her consciousness, she knows that they have learned her true identity. General Kim is fuming while Kyungsoo looks at her as if she has grown the second head and from what she heard, Sehun has not fully recovered from his shock.

“Is it true, Junmyeon – ah no, you are not Kim Junmyeon. Who are you, really?”

Junhee knows that she needs to tell them the truth. At least they deserve to know the truth after all these years they become friends.

“My name is Junhee. Kim Junhee.”

---

Kim Junhee becomes famous as the war heroine. Her tales of bravery and her love for her family put her into the spotlight.

She comes back to her family. Her mom runs towards her the moment she sees her in front of the door. Her dad apologizes to her for every mistake that he made and Jongin refuses to let her alone, sticking to his jiejie every time.

And Jongdae comes back into her life, but not as her fiancée anymore. He has married a nice girl and is now expecting his second child.

Junhee doesn’t fault him for cancelling their engagement. After all, she has disappeared for 4 years and no one knows where she really is. And she doesn’t think that she will be able to marry someone other than Wu Yifan.

Yifan has disappeared with Luhan, no one knows where he really is but one day, Kyungsoo comes to her house, bringing a message from Minseok.

“Junhee-jie, we have found Wu Yifan.”

---

With her now 4 months pregnant stature, Junhee with much difficulty finally arrives to the prison where Wu Yifan is held captive.

Using her famous name, she gains access to meet Yifan. He is placed in the highest security cell as a war prisoner alongside with Luhan.

She is sitting nervously in the waiting room, imagining every possible situation to meet Yifan. What should I do?

A man enters the room with his back hunched, his usually slicked back hair is now tattered and unkempt. The one who usually wears his uniform regally, now reduced to someone who looks shabby in his prisoner’s uniform.

“Junhee?” His eyes widen in realization.

---

Yifan is surpised when the guard told him that he has a visitor outside. Who will visit him? Yixing is dead and Luhan is in the prison with him. Maybe Junhee?

A glimmer of hope arises in his heart but he quickly shakes that away. He heard about her from the chattering in the street, that Kim Junhee is a war heroine and she recently is granted a higher status from the Emperor himself. There is no way a war heroine would want to visit a prisoner like him.

So when he sees Junhee fidgeting in her chair, waiting for him, he thinks that he probably has gone mad because of torture.

“Junhee?”

Those pure eyes that haunt him every time he closes his eyes is now in front of him.

---

“Yifan.”

All that she wants to do is to engulf this once proud man to her embrace but seeing the resignation in his eyes makes her unable to do so.

His eyes dart to her now showing tummy and once again, she sees light in his eyes.

“Is it -?” His voice chokes, hoarse with lack of use.

Junhee nods, “Yes this is our child, Fan.”

---

Yifan’s legs give away; he needs to grab a chair to support him. Once seated, he slumps his face into the desk, asking for her forgiveness.

“I am sorry, Junhee. I am sorry.” He sobs pitifully.

They did it without protection that night and a baby was conceived because of his negligence.

“It’s all my fault, Junhee.”

He is now kneeling before her, unable to lift his eyes to meet hers.

---

Junhee bites her lips to hold back the tears and she can’t stand it anymore. She kneels beside Yifan and hugs the man whom she has fallen in love with.

“It’s okay, Yifan. I am not mad.”

Both of them cry in each other’s embrace. Cry for their unborn baby, their tragic love story, and their seemed so bleak future.

In each other arms they found solace just like in Yifan’s tent during her captive.

---

“I am going to court tomorrow. The judge will give his sentence after all the interrogation.”

“I am going with you.”

Yifan almost smiles at her answer. Still the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter