Final.

Valentine's Rose

"Candy grams for Valentine's Day will be on sell this week, so if you want to get someone something special come to Mrs. Park's room during your study hall." Jongdae frowned at the voice shouting on the intercom.

He didn't much like Valentine's Day.It made him feel extra lonely. He sighed quietly and traced over his name on his worksheet. He didn't like math class, his current class, that much either. 

Time went on, and he made it to creative writing. He liked writing. He wasn't particularly good at it, but he liked to imagine stories up. The teacher Mr. Kim was also a fun guy. "For your warm up today, I want you to take the word I write on the board as your prompt for a 100-200 worded drabble. It has to be school appropriate of course." Some of the students whined.

"When I'm done writing the word on the board, you'll have eight minutes to finish." The word was, Pink. He turned around and faced the class. "I've decided to keep the words for this week in a Valentine's theme due to the day coming up on Friday. Anyway, you have eight minutes to finish it up." Jongdae blinked as he looked at the word. His mind repeated it a couple of times before a phrase appeared, pink tinted sheets. Soon he was writing away about a girl who was fascinated by the color pink.

When he finished counting, his teacher stood up. "Time is up. Would anyone like to read what they wrote?" Jongdae never volunteered, and he was glad his teacher didn't force them to. A boy a few seats away from him rose his hand. "Yes, Minseok. Go ahead." Minseok read his writing out loud almost everyday. Jongdae had to appreciate his writing though.

Minseok's story was about a pink bird that didn't feel manly enough. It made his friend Luhan yell out, "Did you write about me as a bird? You idiot!" To which Minseok only laughed. Jongdae liked the sound of his laugh. It was like a soft tune to his ears. He smiled softly to himself at the thought of it.

 

A few days passed, and Thursday came soon. Jongdae was sitting in creative writing while waiting for Mr. Kim to write a word on the board. When he finally did, Jongdae stared at it. Rose. He shrugged, but wrote whatever he thought of down. He ended up writing a story about a rose that craved the sun's light, but was covered by large leaves.

When the teacher asked for volunteers, Minseok hesitated. He took a deep breath before reading. "I'm a little jealous. Roses are a symbol of love on Valentine's Day. When someone receives a rose, they're filled with joy and love. I'm jealous for I have never experienced that feeling of joy and love. I have never received a rose. The least I got was elementary school's playful cards. But I crave more. I crave for love. Maybe that's me just being annoying, or maybe that's me tired of waiting. But I do know that it is something I want."

Jongdae blinked. Minseok had never received a rose. He blinked again. He was honestly surprised and saddened. He could barely think more about it though as Mr. Kim moved on with the lesson. He felt his heart drop a little. Minseok seemed quite upset about it all. He sighed. He'd have to think about it later.

Study hall was there in a blink of an eye. He fought with himself on whether or not to buy Minseok a flower. He wasn't sure. He didn't want it to seem like more then a generous act. Or did he? Minseok was abnormally adorable, he would admit that. He groaned softly as he dropped his head onto his history homework. The time was running out, and his mind wasn't made up. It was starting to bother him to no end. He stared at the half blank paper before something switched in his mind.

"Why not?," he thought to himself before standing up and walking to the teacher. He rushed to Mrs. Park's room and signed himself up for a candygram. They gave him a sheet to fill out. They wanted him to write a note. The thought made him nervous, but he did nonetheless. He wrote, "Because you've never received one before. - K. J." He nodded in satisfaction and handed them back the paper. A nervous wave rushed through him again when the sheet left his fingers. He took in a deep breath and hoped for the best.

 

The next day came torturously slow for Jongdae. It became worse when the lady on the intercom stated the candy and flowers would be given out during forth period. That was his creative writing period. His heart stammered against his chest as he walked into the room and sat down. The word for the day was heart. He wrote about how hard and fast his heart was pounding against his chest. Minseok wrote about how the heart was like a door to the soul. It was quite poetic. Halfway through the class, the candygrams came.

Jongdae felt sick as they passed them out. He was so incredibly nervous. A girl with long brown hair pulled out a beautiful pink rose from the bunch and a heart shaped card. Jongdae's breath stopped. "Kim Minseok?" She called out. Minseok's mouth dropped. Luhan had to grab it for him. Jongdae's breath became shaky as the two read the note. All of a sudden, Luhan jumped up from his seat and held the heart card in his hand. "Who's initials in this class are K and J?" He questioned to all of them.

Jongdae's heart slammed against his chest as his cheeks reddened. Mr. Kim smirked slightly, "Kim Jongdae." The said one cursed in his mind as him and Luhan caught eye contact. The blonde male stomped over to him and dragged him to stand in front of Minseok. The two looked at each other before the smaller hugged him. "Thank you so much, Jongdae! I'm really touched." The taller hesitated slightly before hugging back.

His words were mumbled, but made the other smile brightly, "You're welcome." Luhan grabbed his arm and smiled at him, "Why don't you sit with us?" He felt a sudden warmth in his chest. "O-Okay." He caught Minseok's gaze who nodded in agreement. "Maybe this will turn out good for me," he thought.

 


Words: 999

Minus Minseok's poem cause I just didn't count it lol