Wax On, Wax Off

The SHINing Diamonds Salon

Minho was worried. No worried was the word, he was scared, terrified even. Never in his life had he met anyone as unstable as Taemin. After Tae had left the shop Minho continually called his client’s cellphone without much success. The following day he never showed up for his appointments, nor the day after, and with the dreaded prom day closing in, the entire staff was stressed to the max. 

Key’s insistent nagging didn’t help matters either. Minho was on edge the entire two days in Taemin’s absence. He tried calling Taemin’s house and wasn’t surprised when Tae’s mom answered. After a quick and frenzied conversation, more from Tae’s mom than him. Minho’s ears strained to hear the muffled argument on the other end of the line as the phone was forcefully handed over to Tae.

“Hello…” Taemin grumble. 

“Hey…” Minho answered back, his heart racing as relief washed over him upon hearing the younger’s voice. 

“What.” Taemin spat with venom. Minho turned to his employees and motioned for them to gather closer. 

"You didn’t come in today…or yesterday.” The others circled around him and he motioned for them to take up the rest of their responsibilities. Then motioning to Key that he was leaving and to close up the shop. Key nodded in understanding. 

“So.” 

“Are you okay?” He asked as he grabbed his jacket and car keys and headed out the door. When Minho didn’t hear a response he whispered the younger’s name as he got in his car. “Tae? You there?”

“Yea.”

“I asked if you were okay?” 

“Why the hell would you think that?” Taemin spat as fast as Minho tore out of the parking lot. 

“We’re worried about you Tae. I’m worried about you.” Minho spoke hastily as he sped towards his destination. 

“Oh go to hell Minho.” Tae was locked in his bedroom pacing in frustration. He had no desire to talk to the man who had lied to him and who had made fun of him. He never wanted to go back to that damn salon again. He huffed as he threw himself on his bed, running a hand through his messy short hair. 

“Come on Tae. Just talk to me. Tell me what happened?”  Tae heard Minho’s voice crackle though the line.

“You know what happened! You were there! You’re the one who said it!” Tae yelled as car lights flashed through his bedroom window, catching his eye.

“Tae. Talk to me. What exactly did I say to piss you off so much?!” Minho rolled up in front of a suburban house and parked his car. He clambered out of the drivers seat and took long rushed strides up the front porch steps. 

“No.” 

“Open the door.” Minho said with such finality that Taemin flinched. 

“What?”

“Open. Your front. Door.” Taemin looked incredulously at his phone before setting it down and cautiously walking to open his bedroom door. He quietly slid into the hallway and looked about to see if his mother was close by. When he decided the coast was clear, Tae eased down the creaking wooden staircase to the main foyer. He placed his hand on the knob and hesitantly turned it, opening the door to see the salons owner standing in the threshold. 

Taemin froze at the sight of Minho. His heart pounded in his chest as he looked the elder up and down. He noticed his hair disheveled and was panting as if he ran a marathon. Shocked, he silently stepped back, letting the elder in. Minho slunk into the darkened foyer and stood directly in front of the younger. They locked eyes for a moment and stared at each other. They felt their cheeks heat up before Taemin turned away and crossed his arms. 

“First off, what are doing here?” Taemin tapped his foot impatiently at the thought. “And secondly, how the hell did you find my house?!” 

“Your mom gave me your address when we first met…for this exact reason. And I’m here because I’ve been worried about you.” Minho whispered, his gaze never softening on the others. 

“I’m not going back.”

“Tae. Come on, don’t be such a child.” 

“I’m. NOT. GOING. BACK.” Taemin turned in a huff and scaled the staircase with Minho right on his heels. Minho continued to call after him even as Taemin ran into his room, he turned to slam the door but Minho was quicker…and stronger as he plowed through the weak oak. 

“Taemin. Seriously what the—“ Minho was cut off as he looked around the room. Tae’s bedroom was a cluttered mess of clothes, music, notebooks, and whatever else held the younger’s interests. But what stopped Minho in his tracks was the vanity. The vanity itself was covered with various objects ranging from old socks to brushes, untouched haircare products and much more. However what drew Minho’s attention was the mirror, or really the lack of mirror. What was once a piece that attached to the vanity set was now cracked in multiple places, some pieces even missing. 

Minho looked to find Tae curled up in a ball on his bed. He approached him cautiously, not wanted to evoke another outburst like before. He said nothing as he surveyed the room, recalling what Taemin’s mother had spoken about. Slowly, the pieces where coming together. 

“Tae…” He whispered, but the boy remained still. “Tae…you…you don’t think you’re ugly, do you?” Minho was almost afraid to speak the idea aloud. However the slight jolt from the boy below him green lighted his theory. He watched heart-wrenchingly as Taemin curled himself up more and wrapped his arms around his body. 

“Taemin. Please. Please believe me when I tell you that none,  and I mean none of us feel that way about you. You’re not ugly Taemin. You just need a little help that’s all, and the rest of the guys are here to help you. I’M here to help you.” He pleaded. Minho felt angry, not at Taemin, but at himself; angered that he couldn’t have figure it out sooner; angered that someone or something would dare make Taemin feel this way. He was the most beautiful man Minho had ever met, not just on the outside but on the inside as well. He only wished there was some way that he could prove to Taemin that he was beautiful. Without a response from the other, Minho sighed. 

“Tae? Can I tell you a story?” The younger remained silent and Minho took that as a sign to continue. “I knew a boy in high school. He was kinda an outcast but he was an amazing painter. He loved the arts and loved painting, it was his life’s passion, but he never really fit in…” At this Taemin turned his head slightly to listen to what the elder was saying. 

“You see…he wasn’t the best looking in our class and unfortunately was dubbed the class crater-face. He had a lot of blemishes and his skin wasn’t well cared for. He was so involved with his classes and his art that he simply neglected his appearance and was bullied for it.” Suddenly Taemin’s body twisted around on his bed to face the owner, his gaze fixed on Minho’s as he submersed himself in the tale. 

“Then one day, he met a girl. She was shy but very beautiful, she also liked art and wanted to be a sculptor. But he was so self-conscious about his appearance that he feared approaching her. He asked for help, but was made fun of. Then something in him kinda…”snapped” and he began researching and educating himself on proper hygienic care. He started washing his face more and using certain brands of lotions, he cleaned his hair and cut it. In a short time, his skin was clear, his teeth white, and his self-esteem grew.” Taemin looked away and bit his lip. 

“Tae. Sometimes in order for you to be handsome it means that you have to work hard to achieve it. Nothing happens overnight, and it certainly doesn’t happen if you quit.” Taemin sighed knowing what Minho was hinting at. There was a few moments of silence before he spoke.

“So…what happened? To the guy I mean.” Minho smiled softly. At least they were getting somewhere. 

“He asked the girl out, and she said yes.” Taemin hummed thoughtfully before sitting up to be face to face with Minho. 

“Fine. I’ll come back. But on one condition.” Minho nodded before letting him continue. “Just…don’t lie to me anymore.” Taemin whispered as a stray tear fell from his eye. 

Minho’s heart broke again, but his determination to help Taemin was more than renewed. He smiled warmly as he wiped the tear away with the pad of his thumb. Taemin glanced up at the elder and their eyes met once more. 

“Taemin. I never did.” 

 

~

 

“Alright Key, I’m ready when you are.” Key chuckled as he stood over a reclined Minho with his head stuck in the wash basin. Key turned the faucet on and wetted the owners hair before lathering up his hands with shampoo. Minho didn’t know if Taemin would show today, but he kept his hopes up. He leaned further back to allow Key to wash his hair. He relaxed as the warm water covered his scalp and his eyes drifted shut. There was something magical about Key’s washes. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply as he recounted what had transpired last night. The broken mirror. The story. Taemin’s attitude. He chose not to tell the others about what he discovered the previous night, thinking it best to keep it private for Taemin’s sake.

“So where’d you run off too yesterday? Did the prince bring the hysterical maiden to his senses?” Minho chuckled deeply, keeping his eyes closed. 

“You’ll see…” He spoke softly, as his craned neck exposed his bobbing adam’s apple. Just then the front door chime rang and Taemin shuffled in. Jonghyun and Onew came to greet him at the door and led him into the room where Key continued to wash Minho’s hair. Minho didn’t notice the others watching him, the rush of the sink water filled his ears, blocked out any surrounding noise.

Taemin stared. His breath hitched as he watched Minho’s adam’s apple bob and as water cascaded down his head and around his ears. He looked so relaxed, much difference from last night. 

Suddenly Taemin reddened and his heart thumped in his chest. Minho said that he never lied to him, that he truly thought Tae was beautiful, even if the younger couldn’t see it. Yet all Taemin could see was how gorgeous Minho was. He smiled at the thought of Minho being so happy and enjoying something that he loved. He secretly wished he could one day be like that again. Taemin surveyed the room, he looked from each employee to the next before settling his eyes permanently on the owner. He wanted to be happy again, he wanted to feel handsome again, and these new found friends were willing to help him achieve that. So he decided to give them a second chance, especially Minho. Taemin couldn’t deny that Minho was becoming a constant in his daily thoughts, even when he was angry or upset, the thought of Minho seemed to calm him. If only Minho felt the same way, then maybe….

Taemin shook the thought from his head as Key rinsed the elders hair free of conditioner. No, he couldn’t even dream that. Minho was just a salon owner, and he was just his client. He watched as Minho was lifted from the seat and a towel was laid over his head and was vigorously rubbed dry. Then Minho, still blinded by the towel, moved to Key’s styling station. There, Key combed and detangled his hair before setting to work t the overgrown ends. Taemin remained in a corner and watched as the  thick strands fell to the ground. 

Suddenly a whirling noise startled Tae’s attention back  as Key set the blowdryer on. In minutes Minho looked fresh and clean with a hair style that framed his face with floofy bangs. Taemin had the urge to run his hands through it, but chided himself at the thought. Suddenly Minho was up and out of the chair and making quick strides towards the younger. Before Tae even realized what was happening, he found himself pulled into a tight embrace. The younger melted and his eyes fluttered shut as he inhaled Minho’s fresh scent. 

“I’m glad you came back…” Minho mumbled in his ear. 

“Yeah…” All too soon Minho pulled away and looked at the other affectionately before smiling and turning to Jonghyun. 

“Hyung? It’s time.” Jonghyun nodded and took Taemin by the shoulders and led him to the back of the salon and into a small room, very similar to the facial room he was in before. 

“Time? Time for what?” Taemin asked curiously as he glanced back to see the Minho smirking evilly. Jonghyun motioned for Taemin to sit as Minho closed the door, Tae didn’t fail to notice that Minho locked it as he slid into the reclined chair. 

“Tae. We’re going to clean up your…unibrow.” Minho explained gently.

“What’s wrong with my unibrow?” 

“Well its a unibrow for one…” Jonghyun answered back sarcastically, only to be rewarded with a smack upside the head from his boss. Tae glanced from one the other quizzically.

“I’m waxing you dude.” Jonghyun stated bluntly, only to chuckle as the younger stiffened. 

“It’s gonna be fine Tae. I’ll be right here the entire time.” Minho rolled up a chair next to the younger and sat besides him. “You can squeeze my hand if you want…” Before Tae knew it, he was pushed down and his bangs were pinned up. His arms then burst out into goosebumps as Jonghyun carefully applied a warm thick sticky gel to the top and bottom of Taemin’s left eye brow. 

“Why would I need to—OW!! SON OF WHAT THE ?!” Tae screamed as Jonghyun placed a cotton strip on the wax and quickly ripped the cloth away. Minho instantly grabbed Taemin’s hand and felt the younger squeeze down hard, his feet kicking and flying in the air. Jonghyun made quick work of the right eye and Taemin screamed in pain once more. “I swear to God Minho if I survive this you’re so dead!” 

All Minho could do was watch helplessly as Tae thrashed about in the chair. He tried to soothe the younger boy by rubbing circles on the back of his hand. Jonghyun applied more wax between his eyebrow at the top of Tae’s nose bridge. The cloth was applied and unceremoniously ripped away. Taemin didn’t thrash as violently as before, but instead laid on the chair panting away. 

“Tae…you…you okay?” Taemin’s head lolled to the side to look at Minho with have lidded eyes.

“That was worse that child birth.” Both men chuckled at the youngest lethargic state.

“You know what child birth feels like?” Jonghyun jovially asked.

“I do now.” 

“Well don’t get comfortable, we aren’t done yet.” 

“Yet? What yet? I’m done. I have literally no where else you can wax.” Jonghyun glanced at Minho who only smirked back at his hyung. Together they lifted the exhausted boy from the chair and helped him stand. “Oh come on guys! Minooo~” Minho flinched and blushed at the pet name. “I came back like I said, have mercy on me!”

“Not entire you’re waxed properly.” 

“I don’t NEED anymore waxing, look, I’ll show you!” Taemin, once he found his footing and was able to stand without assistance, quickly shed his clothing in front of both his hyungs. First his over-sized t-shirt was peeled off and tossed onto the chair. Shocked, Minho stepped back and tried to avert his gaze. Then Taemin’s belt and loose jeans slipped from his thin dancer’s legs, leaving him in only his boxers. Minho was forced to look then, his heart hammering in his chest and turning red from head to toe. His eyes raked down the younger’s slim but muscular body. He followed the dancers curves until he reached the waist band of his boxers. Minho bit his lip as Taemin smirked and turn around to show off the rest of his mostly hairless body. Minho’s gaze shift from his chest to his back to his ; he gulped as he felt his body becoming hot and flustered. The boy was simple beautiful, and the sight if a half Taemin only made Minho’s desire for the younger escalate. Soon realization hit him hard as he reminded himself that Tae is only 17, and it won’t be 18 for another three days. 

“You um…you should get dressed. You did well. I think we’re done for the day. Please excuse me.” Minho rushed out of the room leaving behind a stunned Jonghyun and baffled half Taemin. Tae lowered his head as he quickly redressed. Jonghyun, his eyes still locked on Tae’s form offered him some lotion for his eyebrows which Tae immediately took, sighing in relief as the cool lotion soothed the irritated skin. 

Taemin and Jonghyun emerged from the room to see that Minho was nowhere to be found. Taemin’s eyes start to water as a billion thoughts run through his head. Why did Minho react like that? Didn’t Minho just tell him last night that he wasn’t lying to him when he told him he was beautiful. Was he rethinking that? Sure, maybe his face was okay but his body…

Taemin looked down at his over-sized clothes and poked at his lack-luster physique. He’s was so engrossed in his thoughts that he didn't hear Key approach him from behind. Key slid around the younger and gave him an encouraging smile. Tae offered a smile of his own in return but its was weaker than before. 

“What’s wrong baby?” Key asked with concern.

“I um…Key. Are you free tomorrow?” 

 

~

 

Key and Taemin were back at the mall, this time they shopped for the perfect pair of shoes to fit Tae’s dancing needs. Taemin honestly thought it pointless since he had so many pairs that were gifted to him by his mother, however, he really needed this…a day to be with someone who understood him. Key was that person. 

“Keyyyyy aren’t we done yet??” Taemin complained under a pile of packages that the elder had already acquired earlier that day. 

“Oh no. You don’t miss out on a sale like this!” Key chided playfully as he tried on the sixth pair that hour. Taemin only smiled playfully and plopped down into one of the waiting chairs across from the fashionista. A moment of silence passed before Key stood and sauntered down the isle, testing out the new loafers. 

“So. What do you think?” Taemin glanced from Key to the loafers and then back before shrugging his shoulders.

“They look like the same pair you had one three pairs ago.” Key tsked him before throwing himself into a brown vs. chocolate color lecture and how these shoes seemed to make his feet look slimmer. Although Tae tried to pay attention, his mind wandered elsewhere, namely to the way Minho had rushed out of the waxing room the day before. Did Taemin really make him feel that uncomfortable? It took a moment for Taemin to realize that Key had been trying to call his attention. 

“Hey. You okay? You seem kinda….out here.” Key asked with genuine concern as he sat beside the younger and began to unlace the shoes.

“Its nothing.” The younger sighed.

“Doesn’t seem like nothing. Don’t bull and bullter Tae.” Taemin chuckled as he turned to face him. 

“Do you think Minho hates me?” Key did a double take before bursting out into a fit of giggles.

“Of course he likes you pabo! We all do!” 

“No no, I mean like…has he ever told you what he thinks about me?” Key stopped smirking and turned a serious gaze on the younger. 

“What do you mean?”

“Does Minho think I’m ugly?”  Key was shocked into silence for a moment. Now things were beginning to make sense. Taemin’s reluctance to be groomed, his way with other people, his mom, his self-esteem, his reactions to when others compliment him. Key understood now. This loving, self-less, caring, beautiful boy thought he was ugly. Taemin looked down in shame at Key’s lack of response. 

“Why would you ever think that Tae?” 

“Well…when Jonghyun waxed my eyebrows yesterday —“

“You mean when you were screaming bloody murder?”

“Yeah…that. Anyway, Minho insisted that I be shaved in other places and when they went to do so I protested. Not because I didn’t want to…and I really didn’t want to, but because I didn’t need to. I don’t have a lot of body hair like other people. So I took off my shirt and —“

“Wait. You took off your shirt?”

“Yeah and pants to show Minho—“

“AND PANTS!?” 

“Yes. Focus please. I was proving to him that I didn’t need to be waxed and he just backed away and rushed out of the room.” Taemin explained in a exasperated breath. “And now I don’t know if he hates me or thinks I’m disgusting!” 

“Oh God no baby No! I promise you, Minho doesn’t see you that way!” 

“Yeah…he doesn’t see me any way…”

“What do you mean?” Key inquired, but was met with silence. Yet Key knew what was going on. He could see it from the way Taemin never stopped looking at his boss and how his boss never seemed as cheerful as when Taemin was there. He knew what love looked like, and if anyone was going to love Taemin unconditionally for who he was and what he did or didn’t look like, it was Minho. Key only smiled at the younger before grabbing his hand and dragging him off to the next store. 

‘It’ll all work out Tae. Just you wait and see.’

 

~

 

Prom was a week away, his birthday tomorrow, and now Taemin was sitting at Minho’s manicurist table, flushed red and heart pounding as Minho held his hand while he gently filed away at the younger’s chipped and ragged finger nails. Minho’s face remained a constant shade of blush as he worked diligently on each digit, filing and buffing them until they shined. 

The rest of the shop employees watched the two unassuming love birds out of the corner of their eyes as they continued to service their usual clientele. Key never stopped smiling as he continually glanced towards the two.

 Minho tried to start up various conversations but all he could think of was close-ended questions. Finally, he tried to talk about prom, most of which was shut down by the younger. That was until he questioned Tae about a date. He glanced up when he felt the boy’s hand flinch. 

“Tae?” Tae’s cheeks burned as he thought about who he was going to ask. “Have you asked someone yet?” Tae only shook his head, willing his eyes to remain focused on the ground. 

“Are you going to?” Minho asked with pang of jealously. 

“Well there is someone I really like but…” He chanced a look at Minho and saw that his attention was completely turned towards him.

“But?” 

“But I don’t think they feel the same way about me…so there is another guy I could ask, I’ve liked him for awhile now — we use to be in the same dance class. I think he’ll like me now.” Taemin replied dejectedly. He smiled weakly, hoping to hide his true feelings of who he really wanted to take to the prom. 

“Oh that’s g— wait. He?” Minho’s heart damn near stopped. 

“Yeah hyung…” Taemin giggled behind the back of his free hand making Minho’s heart stir. God he’s so beautiful. Whoever this guy is…he’s one lucky bastard. Minho quickly tried to sweep his jealously under his charismatic smile. Then he stopped and thought for a moment. 

“Tae…what do you mean by ‘you think he’ll like you now?’” Taemin straightened up a bit, but didn’t reply. Minho, not wanting to push his client any further left the question alone. Minho continued to shake off the feeling of unease that crept over the two of them to finish Taemin’s manicure. The fact that Taemin like someone else bothered him, but what bothered him more was the idea that Taemin felt like he needed to change himself to earn someone’s approval. Sure, self-care and grooming is essential for a person’s self-esteem and emotional stability, but for it to hinge on the approval of others was something else entirely. 

“So I’m thinking we should do something fun to celebrate your birthday. How about dinner and a movie with all of us?”

“Really? That would be awesome! You…you guys don’t have to do that…” 

“We want to Tae.” Taemin smiled and nodded happily and watched as Minho continued with his work. The elder finished quickly and held both of Taemin’s hands in his, admiring his work. Suddenly Taemin squeezed his hands gently and affectionately. Minho looked up and lost himself in Taemin’s beautiful brown eyes. 

“Thank you hyung, for everything.”

 

~

 

Minho was locking up the shop with the rest of his employees. The night air was humid and sticky as the warmer weather was finally starting to set in. It was Friday. And after the boys sent Taemin on his way to score his prom date, they decided to grab some dinner before heading to Minho’s apartment for a night of drinks and action flicks. Minho had just pocketed his keys when his cell phone rang. Fishing it out, he answered. 

“Hello? Oh hi Mrs. Lee! Wait. What. Slow down Mrs. Lee I can’t hear you. H-Hang on.” Minho moved the phone from his shoulder as he threw his jacket into his car and approached his waiting friends. “Okay okay slow down and tell me what happened.” 

“Everything okay?” Jonghyun asked as he leaned against the car. Minho shrugged his shoulders trying to make out what the older woman was saying through the phone.

Suddenly Minho froze. His face drained of color and his gaze shifted to stare off into the distance. Picking up on their friend’s distress the rest gathered closer. 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN TAEMIN IS MISSING?!”