~~~

Love Knows Its Way Home

“Why now?”

“I’m sorry, Amber. I’m sorry. You’ll never understand.”

“But, Kris-“

“I’m sorry.”

I felt the warmth of his hands decreased as he let go of my palms. A tear slipped down onto my cheek. I clutched my hand to where my heart beats, savoring every heat that was left from his hold as he turned his heels and walked away.

“Kris?”

“Mmm?”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course I do. I love you, Amber. Why do you question my feelings for you?”

Kris tucked a strand of my hair to the back of my ear. His hand moved to the side of my cheek and cupped it, rubbing circles with his thumb.

“Nothing. I just miss you.” I answered with a simple smile.

“Come here.” He said as he brought himself closer to me and wrapped his long arms around me.

I nestled onto his chest while wrapping my own arms around him, tugging a little on his shirt. The smell of his cologne and his soap intruding my trance, as I was thinking how am I supposed to ask him this simple question that has been nagging me for a while.

I broke the hug as I looked into his orbs.

“What is it, Amber?”

“Kris, will you always stay with me, forever?”

At a few milliseconds after I asked, his orbs flickered with sadness, but it was soon changed back into his usual cold eyes, that have always been hiding a warmth in it.

“I will always stay with you.”

His lips tugged upwards with his rare smile which only I get to see it every day.

 

But, he never said the word forever.

 

 

 

“Kris…”

I let my walls of pride down as soon as his presence was nowhere in sight.

“Kris, how could you. You promised that you’d always stay by my side.”

I just let all of my tears down, who cares about the stares I’ll get for crying in a playground. I just wanted to let out all of the pain I was enduring when he decided to end it.

“Amber.”

“Mmm?”

I looked up to his eyes, somehow today those orbs gone sorrow.

“I need to talk to you about something.” He said, with his cold tone that was rarely present when I’m around.

“What is it, Kris?”

“Come here.” He said, gesturing that he wanted to give me a hug.

I drag myself to where he stood, feeling a bit nervous and slightly uncomfortable, scared that I might’ve done something wrong to make him mad.

But why asking me a hug when he would usually just stood there right in front of me while letting out his anger onto my face?

What’s wrong with him?

“Kris?” I called him as I tried to break his hug.

“Please, just a few more minutes.” He said, in an unusual pleading tone.

We stayed the like that for a moment before he let go of me, sliding his hand down from my upper arms to my palms, holding it tightly.

“Amber?”

“Yes, Kris?”

“I’m sorry, but-“ He said as his eyes trailed to the cold pavement underneath us.

“-we have to end it here, Amber.”

“Wha- what do you mean?”

“I’m breaking up with you.” He said as he trailed back his gaze to me.

I gasped. It felt like the whole world stopped around us.

I was fighting back my tears as I looked away from his gaze, not wanting him to see I was on the verge of breaking down.

“Why now?” I asked while trying so hard to keep my tone as cold as usual

“I’m sorry, Amber. I’m sorry. You’ll never understand.”

He looked away from me once more.

“But, Kris-“ I tried to reason with him, hoping I could stop him.

“I’m sorry.”

 

Sky started to turn into shades of gray, threatening people underneath with its soon-to-come heavy rain. I dragged my body back to my flat with all the energy I had left.

 

I drop myself onto the squishy sofa limply, but then I realize there was note slipped from under my front door.

 

Amber, my love.

I’m sorry I have to leave you.

This is my last day in Korea, as I was planning to go back to China tomorrow morning at dawn. My family decided to move back to China so we could be closer to my grandpa and grandma there.

I’m sorry I didn’t tell you this beforehand, I don’t want you to go to my house and beg in front of my parents to stay, just like what you did to Krystal before.

I know that you love me so much that you’d beg me to stay, but I must go.

I’m sorry for leaving you like this. It hurts me seeing you try to put up your strong image like what you’ve always did when I first saw you, but it’s time for me to leave.

Remember when you asked me “Will you stay with me, forever?”

I only answered “I will always stay with you.”, but I never said my “forever”.

I didn’t want to give you a fake promise, yet, now I’ve found my courage to tell you this:

I will always stay with you, forever.

Because you’ll forever stay in my heart.

And hopefully, my name is still carved inside your heart.

 

Wait for me, Amber

Hopefully, we’ll meet again

Someday

Someday soon

 

 

I didn’t realize I was crying until I scratched my eyes. I chuckled at myself for being so stupid, thinking that Kris had betrayed me.

I stretched my arms so I could look at it for the last time, before holding it close to my heart.

Wait for me, Kris.

 

3 Years Later

“Welcome to SM Entertainment. You all have auditioned well, but now I’m going to choose only two of you to be our trainee for this year’s audition.”

 

“Congratulations to: Kris Wu and Amber Liu!”

 

“Kris?”

“Amber?”

 

THE END