final.

Mr. Gingerbread and Ms. Pumpkin

                  It was a rainy day. Storms could be heard and lightnings could be seen.I sat in the library, completing my assignments as the next class will begin in 2 hours. Well, time is precious and I should finish these fast. It was really quiet to the point I felt like sleeping to be honest but then, a guy or should I say a cute guy walked up to my table and said, "May I?" as he slowly pulled the chair in front of me. 

Okay,,, he looked familiar but hey, maybe it’s just me. I’m feeling so sleepy anyway.  But hey? Why here? I looked around, still confused. The library  wasn’t packed and there were still a lot of vacant tables around.

“Why?” I blurted out without myself knowing. “Because…” He looked around, smiled awkwardly and took a book on the shelf near him.

“T-the books I’m looking for are just r-right here. L-like.. right here. So near to this table and yeah… y-you know. Yeah.”

“Uh-oh.. okay then.” Err.. there’s definitely something weird about him but he seemed nice so I just shrugged the thought away and continued my work. He put his backpack on the chair and went to find some books.

Or.. that’s what I thought.

 

Five minutes later, He came back without any books in his hand. Not that I care if he was telling the truth about why he wanted to sit here though. He sat down and took out a notebook from his backpack.

 

 

It was super hard to concentrate on your work when you feel like someone was shooting bullets into your head. What is wrong with this guy? He came here all of sudden, he lied about wanting to find books, he was staring at me for such a long time and suddenly passed a small piece of paper to.. me? I glanced at him before taking it. It was written there..

I MISS YOU.

 

Wow.

THIS

IS

CRAZY.

 

Should I just run away and leave my things or should I shout shamelessly so that people will know that this guy is some kind of a creeper?

I raised my brow and pointed to myself. “Me?” I mouthed. I looked into his eyes, waiting for him to answer.  Oh, I recognized those eyes! And that lips!

“Yes.” He chuckled. “ Yes, pumpkin.”

Pumpkin? Oh, oh, okay. I got it now. A slight hint of red appeared on cheeks. There is only one person who calls me by that name. I started laughing out of embarrassment and so did him.

“Remember me now?” He asked and I nodded. Oh, my so called boyfriend when we were 6.

 

 

 It was Halloween and my mother had planned a small party for me. I helped arranging the gingerbread cookies while Taemin helped adjusting or what seemed to be poking the carved pumpkins.

“These cookies look so funny..” The 6 year old me chuckled. “The lips are so thick!” I giggled.

“IT LOOKS LIKE YOU!” Both of us shouted in unison, me pointing to the cookies while Taemin pointed to the pumpkins. We laughed.

“Taemin-ah, it looks like you. Look at the lips. It’s totally same! Are these your long lost twins or something?” I laughed.

“I know my lips are y but no, not same at all.” Taemin said in an angry manner.  “Bla..bla..bla..” I muttered, feeling annoyed. “Hey, but this pumpkin totally looks like you.  Your round face..” Taemin laughed.

“It’s not funny, gingerbread.”

“It’s not funny too, pumpkin.”

 

 

“Yes, yes I remember you, Gingerbread.” I finally replied.

 

16 years had passed since we last met each other but I could still remember my mom asking if I like Taemin and I shyly said yes, Taemin and I played in the playground together, Taemin giving a peck on my cheek, Taemin’s mom calling me ‘daughter-in-law’ , Taemin and I being partners for a dance during our kindergarten graduation night and then, the next thing I knew was that my family moved to Jejudo and we had never met again.

16 years of not contacting him.

16 years without him.

16 years of not seeing his face.

16 years of growing apart from each other.

It had been 16 years…

 

"I missed you too, gingerbread." I finally let it out, feeling so delightful that I might cry. "So, how did you find me?"

Taemin grinned before saying, "A pumpkin fell from the sky last night and apparently it was you." He laughed.

"Ha, funny." I said, looking not amused at all but deep down inside my heart.. I LOVE IT! I couldn't believe he can still recognize me even when 16 years had passed.

" I'm hungry.Shall we go get some gingerbread cookies and maybe.. pumpkin soup?" Taemin suggested.

"Sure!"