New message

N.O.T.E.S

­­Kyungsoo has a problem.

He’s been told that there’s going to be a test tomorrow for History and apparently, majority of it will be on the topic covered today. He’s not sure if he can trust Baekhyun who isn’t even in that class, only knowing about it because he heard from his boyfriend’s friend’s roommate. Then again, he doesn’t have a choice but to trust Baekhyun because he himself wasn’t in class today was he.

He’s unfortunately had a year’s worth of misfortune the night before when while reading some notes for a class, the lights in his room flickered all of the sudden. If it had been accompanied by a gentle breeze blowing despite no windows or doors being opened, he probably would’ve run for his life but this isn’t a horror movie.

Instead he ignored the flickering and continued on with his reading for another ten minutes or so when suddenly, the room was filled with darkness. He let out a manly shriek and ran out of the room, stubbing a toe in the process.

Groaning in pain, it took him a while to realize with relief that at least the lights in the corridors were still working perfectly fine, meaning the dorm wasn’t suddenly haunted by ghosts.

Knowing what he had to do and after fumbling in the dark for his coat for five minutes but giving up at last and settling with the sweater he’s already wearing, Kyungsoo made his way out of the dorm building and walked almost ten minutes to the nearest convenience store.

It was freezing and his toe was still so very sore he felt like amputating it but once he chose the correct light bulb and made his purchase, everything felt right once more.

That is before he stepped out of the store and found that it was raining. Heavily. He almost cried there and then but he knew the cashier was probably watching and he has an image to uphold, so he only whined a little bit before stupidly braving the weather and trudging back to the dorm.

By the time he got back, his everything was soaked and he’s still freezing. He needed to shower and change into warm clothes but his room was still dark and there’s no way he’s changing the light bulb when he’s wet so once more he blindly walked over to his wardrobe.

It turned out to be a very bad idea when he stubbed another toe. He didn't bother stifling his screams of pain this time or the strings of curses falling out of his mouth. And when that was over, he sneezed. U-oh.

Needless to say, the next morning he woke up late with a cold.

Now body still weak from the cold, Kyungsoo wrecks his brain out trying to think of a solution. His grades for that class are only borderline okay so he definitely cannot afford to skip that test if he wants to pass the course. 

But the thing is he doesn’t have the material to study for said test and really, just by attending won’t help him pass it.

An idea struck moments later and Kyungsoo immediately goes through his contact list. His close friends unfortunately do not have the same classes as him and he can probably count with one hand the number of people he knows in it, let alone have their phone number. He smiles in triumph when he sees the name he’s looking for.

With no time to waste, Kyungsoo sends out a text.

To: Jongin (history)

Hey Jongin. I wasn’t in class earlier, do u have the notes for the test tomorrow?

Not three minutes passed when his phone beeps with a reply.

From: Jongin (history)

yea sure. I’ll email them to u after dance practice

To: Jongin (history)

ok thanks!

Not entirely sure how long that practice is going to be, Kyungsoo decides belatedly if he’s going to be studying for the test all night, he might as well freshen up a bit and fill his empty stomach. And coffee too, never forget the coffee.

His phone lays forgotten as he showers and goes to the kitchen to prepare himself some soup and light snack. When he finally gets back, he’s surprised to find another message from Jongin.

From: Jongin (history)

hey I’m Jongin’s boyfriend. what do u want

Quirking an eyebrow, Kyungsoo types a reply.

To: Jongin (history)

I need notes

Not expecting a reply, Kyungsoo checks his email, sighing when there’s no email from Jongin yet. He’s about to throw his phone back on the bed when it beeps once more. Kyungsoo is slightly annoyed now when he sees that there’s another text from Jongin. Well, Jongin’s phone at least.

From: Jongin (history)

Do u have class with him or something?

To: Jongin (history)

yes

Once he presses send, he immediately sees that the other person is typing. Grunting, he decides to just wait and see what Jongin’s boyfriend has to say this time. It doesn’t take too long when a new text appears and when he reads it, he doesn’t know if he should laugh or be frustrated.

From: Jongin (history)

ok I know this is just some trick to get in his pants so I’m just letting u know now that Jongin’s taken

He reads it once, then twice and doubles up in laughter. After his successions of bad luck, perhaps all he needs is a good laugh and the jealous boyfriend misunderstanding his intention is totally cracking him up.

When he sobers up a while later and the realisation sinks in though, he kind of feels bad for Jongin instead. He knows Jongin is a good guy, they’ve worked together for a project before, hence having each other’s phone number and Jongin has helped him previously too.

So for the sake of Jongin and not wanting to jeopardize his relationship with his boyfriend, Kyungsoo half-heartedly sends out another reply.

To: Jongin (history)

again, I just need notes

When the next reply comes, he’s on the verge of tearing his hair out, not finding it funny anymore.

From: Jongin (history)

what’s your relationship with him anyways?

To: Jongin (history)

N.O.T.E.S

There, he thinks. His patience is running out and if that doesn’t make his intention clear then he doesn’t know what else to do. Slightly aggravated, Kyungsoo lies down on his bed, phone still in hand. He hopes Jongin will still email him the notes despite everything because all is he needs are those damn freaking notes!

Against his better judgement, Kyungsoo checks his phone when it beeps again.

From: Jongin (history)

I’m blocking u

He just huffs in annoyance.

---

The test he was so worried about turns out to be pretty easy. Of course the studying he did the night before helps. He didn’t get any more messages from Jongin or his boyfriend but he did receive an email from Jongin with lecture notes attached. The banter, if one can call it that he had with Jongin’s boyfriend forgotten easily enough.

A full hour has passed and everyone rushes forwards to hand in their test paper to the lecturer, Kyungsoo included. It’s also thankfully his final class of the day and he longs for the rest he rightfully deserves, his cold having not fully cured yet.

He’s already out in the hallways when he hears someone calling his name. He sighs heavily, his bed would have to wait a little longer, before slowing down to a stop.

He sees Jongin comes up running to him, his bangs bobbing up and down his forehead.

“Hey,” he says when he stops in front of Kyungsoo.

“Hi, what’s up?” Kyungsoo greets back, voice slightly hoarse no thanks to the cold, “Oh, thanks for the notes by the way. Saved my life.”

Kyungsoo chuckles, amused by his own joke. Jongin smiles sheepishly, hand rubbing at the back of his neck.

“Listen Kyungsoo,” he starts hesitantly and at the tone of his voice, Kyungsoo stops laughing, “Uh sorry about last night.”

“Huh?”

The tips of Jongin’s ears are reddening, he looks cute Kyungsoo notes. As fast as the thought appears, he pushes it back instantly. This is not the time for that he thinks.

“The texts I mean” Jongin softly explains.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo impresses once more with his articulation, cursing himself for being so slow. How does one react in situations like this? Does he laugh it off and say it’s okay? It really is though. He got what he wanted in the end, that’s what’s important, “Nah don’t worry about it. It’s okay.”

Seeing Kyungsoo grin, Jongin mutters, “Ah it’s embarrassing. I’m sorry again.”

Kyungsoo cannot help but laugh this time, shaking his head as if to say ‘it’s okay’ again and hoping at least the awkward tension will go away. It works thankfully as Jongin too begins to chuckle softly, running a hand through his hair now.

Kyungsoo doesn’t get the chance to be distracted by how soft it looks and how it’ll feel like to do that too when another voice booms in the hallway, loud enough that some people stop in their track and turn their heads around at the source.

“Jongin! There you are!” A figure about Kyungsoo’s height bounds up to Jongin’ side, grabbing the latter’s arm possessively, “I’ve been looking for you.”

He’s probably imagining it but Kyungsoo can see Jongin tensing by the sudden appearance of the person, smile becoming less sincere, “Uh yeah. I just finished class.”

“Oh right, you just had a test right? Economics was it?”

Jongin’s about to shake his head but as if thinking better of it, nods in response instead. Kyungsoo has been standing awkwardly in front of the pair, debating internally if he should just step back slowly and make his escape but the silence that greets them somehow turns everyone’s attention to him.

“And who are you?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widen at the obvious distaste in the other’s voice but thankfully he recovers quickly enough to make a coherent (and hopefully pleasant enough) response, “I’m Kyungsoo, Jongin’s course mate.”

If it wasn’t tense moments earlier, then it is now. The person, Kyungsoo’s sure he’s Jongin’s boyfriend now, stands up straighter, almost puffing his chest out and the grip he has on Jongin’s arm seems to tighten even more. He’s glaring at Kyungsoo openly.

“I knew it! Were you flirting with him? I told you he’s taken! Are you that desperate that you would go for someone’s boyfriend? What a !”

“Hey-”

Whatever Jongin is about to say gets cut off by a screech and knuckles cracking, “What the did you just say? I’m trying to steal your boyfriend? Listen here you little , rather than going around accusing people, why don’t you stop being insecure and have faith in your boyfriend! We were just talking and I really only needed those damn ing notes! And just because I’m single doesn’t mean I’m desperate. ing hell.”

His eyes have turned to slits and face flaming, as expected whenever he’s mad. He doesn’t really care, it’s too late for that. Jongin and his boyfriend can only gape at his outburst, the latter’s face paling by the minute. Kyungsoo would’ve laugh if he wasn’t still so irritated.

He’s still puffing and glaring daggers at Jongin’s boyfriend, fury slowly subsiding when they hear footsteps. Kyungsoo looks over Jongin’s shoulder and feels slightly relieved at the sight of Joonmyun jogging towards them.

“Hello!” he greets cheerfully, oblivious to the tension in the air, “Kyungsoo, are you feeling better now? Heard you were ill yesterday.”

Jongin’s gaze instantly falls on Kyungsoo, forehead creasing, “You shouldn’t have come in to class! No wonder you were sneezing non-stop earlier.”

Against his better judgement and to everyone’s surprise, Jongin’s hand automatically comes up to his forehead, feeling his temperature. At the corner of his eyes, he sees Jongin’s boyfriend turning scarlet, complementing well with his auburn hair.

The red on his own face now isn’t from the anger anymore.

“Nah, I’m okay,” he insists, smiling at both Joonmyun and Jongin. He doesn’t let his disappointment show when Jongin realises his slip-up and brings his hand down by his side, eyes slightly wide.

“Are you sure?” Joonmyun demands, his hand coming up to mimic Jongin’s gesture but the tingly feeling he felt earlier doesn’t repeat itself.

Kyungsoo nods. He mustn’t have been very convincing that Joonmyun decides to take it upon himself to excuse themselves and proceeds to drag Kyungsoo along towards the exit, mumbling to himself about tucking Kyungsoo in bed and making some soup.

Back in his room, left alone in his bed, having been fed with Joonmyun’s surprisingly tasty soup, the incident that happened earlier finally sank in. Did that outburst really happen? Oh goodness, this cannot be happening he thinks.

He wasn’t supposed to rise to the bait, he should’ve known better. But knowing that a sweet boy like Jongin has a boyfriend who cannot even trust him even a little bit lights up the fuse in his system. Jongin doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.

He would’ve been a better boyfriend. He should’ve been more than just a friend to Jongin.

Alarmed at his line of thought, sudden yet vaguely familiar, Kyungsoo squeaks and hides under the cover.

---

“Hey Kyungsoo, do you want to meet up in the library to research for the project later?”

“Let’s exchange phone numbers, it’ll be easier to set up future meetings.”

“You look pale, are you not feeling well? Hey, you’re burning. Let’s stop for now.”

“You know what, let me walk you home, I don’t think it’s good to let you walk back yourself in this condition.”

“Are you feeling better now? Are we working too hard for this project? I’m sorry.”

“Should we meet up at the new café down the street? I’m sick of being in the library.”

“I don’t really like the coffee here. Let’s go to my favourite café next time. Do you have any place that you like?”

“Yes finally! It’s done! Let’s celebrate!”

“Hey Soo, listen. This may be too sudden but I think I lik- Wait, are you drunk? Let’s get you home shall we?”

“Hm? What? Y- you don’t want to be friends?”

“Oh.”

---

It’s been two weeks since the incident he’d rather forget. Thinking about it still gets blood rushing to his face. He’s still pretty pissed but mostly it’s because he’s mortified. He and Jongin may not be as close as before but he’d rather not let Jongin think that he’s some hot-headed guy who gets mad at everyone and everything, although to be honest, that boyfriend of his pretty much deserved it.

He’s walking to his next class, sticking close to the wall trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. He doesn't actually see Jongin very often in campus except when they share classes but ever since that moment, he’s making a conscious effort to avoid Jongin. It’s pointless and he doesn’t actually know why he’s even trying but perhaps by doing so all thoughts of Jongin and their time spent in the library and cafes that keeps cropping up recently will go away.

That he won’t be reminded of the fact that he wants something he can’t have.

He suddenly halts in his step, eyes falling on a familiar auburn hair walking in his direction. Kyungsoo panics internally when he sees somebody else walking next to him. He could turn around and walk the other direction, surely they haven’t seen him yet but then his next class is not on that side of campus and Kyungsoo seriously doesn’t like being late for any of his classes. Discipline is the first step to success he thinks.

Cursing his fate, he elects to just stick to the plan, lay low and stay calm. It seems to be working so far, the distance between them keeps getting shorter and Kyungsoo has yet to hear someone shouting or cursing his way so that’s a good sign.

Too weak to resist the temptation however, Kyungsoo lifts his head slightly and takes a peek.

It’s not Jongin walking arm in arm with the guy, instead it’s a tattooed senior, ears studded and walking too proudly for someone who apparently keeps on repeating the year.

They don’t notice Kyungsoo standing in shock with his mouth agape, too confused to be bothered by people repeatedly knocking onto his shoulders.

Is the er cheating on Jongin? He wonders, fist clenching on his sides ­­ready to send a punch or two on the guy’s face. Who cares if his new beau is almost twice as big as him.

Before his idiotic noble self takes over however, another thought springs up to mind. Perhaps they broke up? That is another possibility.

The anger from before are now replaced with a sense of hope. Is there a chance for him now then?

An hour later when he walks out of the lecture room, mind still in a daze that he might as well just skipped that class. He almost jumps out of his skin when he feels his phone vibrate in his pocket, a few girls nearby giggling as a result. He smoothly swerves into the other direction in embarrassment before taking his phone out. There’s a new text.

From: Jongin (history)

are u still in campus? can we meet up?

The butterflies that already settled in his stomach for the past hour have gone fluttering mad now. It’s a surprise his fingers don’t shake too bad he’s not even able to reply.

To: Jongin (history)

yes, see u in the cafeteria?

Jongin replies in the affirmative a few seconds later and Kyungsoo counts in his head if there’s enough time for him to go to check out his reflection in the mirror at the toilet first or settling with the bedhead look instead. He goes with the former.

When he arrives at the cafeteria, having ran from the other block of the campus, hair a mess once more, he’s greeted by a familiar voice calling his name.

“Hey, what’s up?” he greets back casually.

Jongin smiles blindingly in response and Kyungsoo hopes Jongin’ll assume the red on his face is due to the exertion from running, “Are you feeling better already?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo hums, sitting across from Jongin at one of the empty tables, “Did you need anything?”

Jongin runs his fingers through his hair, a habit Kyungsoo notices when they first got to know each other, “Not really.”

When Kyungsoo just nods, he continues, “You’re very hard to find, did you know that? I haven’t seen you around since that last time. Couldn’t even text you until just now because your number was still blocked. I’m surprised you replied to be honest. I thought you were avoiding me.”

The chuckle that follows is probably supposed to make it look like he’s joking but Kyungsoo can hear it in his voice and the way Jongin’s staring at him that he’s hurt by the thought. Kyungsoo’s guilty as charged but he can’t just admit to it can he?

“I-I was just busy. Took me a while to fully recover too actually,” he ends up saying instead.

The other’s mouth opens momentarily, muttering a silent ‘oh’. Kyungsoo is still finding it hard to keep an eye contact with Jongin, too afraid the latter will be able to see through his mind and all the thoughts that have been running for the past weeks.

“Listen Soo, I know this is sudden but ever since then, I’ve been wondering- I mean I’ve been wondering since after we finished that project but I was a coward then but now it’s just been bugging me,” Jongin says, his turn to avoid eye contact now, “You probably don’t remember but that time when we went out for a drink to celebrate and you got drunk, you told me- you said you didn’t want to be friends with me.”

To say he’s shocked is an understatement, Kyungsoo’s totally bewildered. It’s probably clear to Jongin that that is brand new information to him with how his eyes have widened considerably and his mouth agape. He tries to say something but his throat suddenly refuses to cooperate and he’s left looking like a fish gulping for air.

“Do you still think that way?” Jongin asks hesitantly, finally looking back at Kyungsoo.

He’s still confused and the way Jongin’s gazing at him with those eyes as if pleading isn’t helping. He blinks once and twice and that seems to break him out of his trance, “No. I never said that. I mean I probably did but I was drunk and I definitely didn’t mean it. At least not like what you think.”

His voice falters at the last minute, going soft but Jongin manages to catch it and he sits up straighter as a result, “What do you mean?”

“Uh,” Kyungsoo murmurs, thinking of the right words to say without revealing anything, “I meant I didn’t want us to be just- um-“

“Just what?”

“I didn’t want us to be just friends,” Kyungsoo sighs at last, figuring there’s no way out of it anyway, “I wanted more.”

He keeps his eyes on the surface of the table, finding it fascinating despite it not being wiped clean properly. Jongin hasn’t said anything and Kyungsoo refuses to look up and see his reaction. He’s embarrassed and acting like a teenage girl which he obviously isn’t but there’s no helping it. Jongin has always made him that way.

“Kyungsoo, look at me.”

The one stain at the corner of the table is distracting, thinks Kyungsoo, he should get a tissue and wipe it himself. Too bad he hasn’t replaced his emergency packet of tissues in his bag since that cold.

“Please?”

Losing the battle when there’s no chance of winning anyway, Kyungsoo finally looks back up. The smile Jongin gives him beats winning any day.

“That day we went to celebrate, I wanted to say something to you. I didn't get to say it so I’m saying it now,” Jongin confesses, still smiling shyly, “I like you. I still do in fact. I probably never stopped despite, you know, getting a boyfriend. A mistake by the way.”

Kyungsoo thinks he’s imagining things, this is probably the side effect of all the medications he took or perhaps because he wants this so much that his brain is making it all up for him. For all he knows, Jongin is probably asking what he got for that last test.

“I hope you won’t think this is a rebound just because I broke up with him only recently and I swear this isn’t me not wanting to be alone or whatever it is you might be thinking and this is over a year too late but Kyungsoo, would you maybe want to go out with me?”

That definitely doesn’t rhyme with ‘what did you get in that test?’ and Kyungsoo is pretty sure his brain isn’t advanced enough to be imagining that sincere and imploring look in Jongin’s eyes and the nervous yet determined lilt in his voice.

So Kyungsoo responds with an equally over a year too late answer, “Sure.”

 

A/N: Hello! Hope you enjoyed that one! It probably didn't turn out the way you expected/wanted it to be but hey, me neither! lol