Final

Sweet Dreams

 

They say that lack of sleep is the cause of dark circles underneath our eyes---Seungri thinks otherwise. Since he was a child, people around him keep telling him to go get some good rest in order to remove the bags hanging onto his eyes. But, no matter what he do, how early he gets to sleep, the dark circles just won't leave him alone. He realized that he can't really do anything about it and just gave up. He did whatever he wanted to do and stayed up late at night.

Nowadays, Seungri came back to his old habits of sleeping early. But, not because he got conscious of his eyebags once again. Every night, after he gets home from work, he would hurriedly eat dinner, take a quick shower, and finally, rush to his bed. He would lay down and close his eyes, concentrating on falling asleep as quickly as he could. He can't remember when exactly this habit had started, but, before he knew it, he had been doing it for years. 

Once he falls into dreamland, it is the moment where Seungri was truly happy---he would see the mysterious man that keeps appearing in his dreams, every night, without fail. They would talk about almost anything under the sun; their hobbies, interests, likes and dislikes, perception of life, hopes, dreams and of course, love.

 


 

Seungri came home from work, depressed. His day didn't really work out as smoothly as usual---he ran into some trouble with his co-workers and his boss. He tried to shake it off, thinking positively and looking on the bright side of life. He thought, later, he'll get to see him, and it wouldn't be so bad after all. He knows that once he sees him, all his pain and worries would disappear.

As usual, he made dinner for himself, ate it quickly and took a quick shower. He then rushed to his bed and laid down comfortably. As soon as he closed his eyes, Seungri immediately fell asleep. He opened his eyes and saw the exact, same place he sees every night---an empty, never-ending place, with just him and him.

"Hey." 

Seungri felt his heart skip a beat upon hearing the sweet voice he had been looking forward on hearing, all day. He turned around and saw him, staring at right at him with such gentle and loving eyes. Seungri stood still, not uttering a single word. He felt as if the man was looking right through his soul. No matter how many times they see each other, he still gets nervous and finds himself unable to have any idea what to do.

"We meet again." The man walked towards him, smiling. "How are you?"

Seungri awkwardly smiled and nodded, avoiding eye contact.

The man furrowed his eyebrow. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy to see me?"

"..It's not that.. It's just.."

"Hmm? It's just what?" said the man, in a teasing manner.

Seungri paused and stared at the ground. He fidgeted around, forcing his brain to think of something to say.

"We see each other every night, though. You still ain't comfortable around me?" he said, moving in closer to him. But as much as the steps he makes to get closer, Seungri counters it and backs away from him. The man laughed, finding the anxious Seungri adorable. It was like this each time they meet; he teases while Seungri stumbles around.

A huge grin formed on the man's face. As teasing Seungri is the one thing that he likes the most, he thought of something to make him even more anxious---physical contact. The thought of Seungri getting red in the face, making his heart pound, made him extremely excited. He then moved in closer, reaching out his hand towards Seungri's cheek.

Seungri's eyes widened, his face turning bright red. "W-What are you..?"

"Be still, Seungri." The man said, looking deep into his eyes. Seungri gulped and closed his eyes tightly. He stood still, with his heart pounding, waiting for whatever it is the man's gonna do. He then felt a hand gently caress his cheek---a warm, gentle feeling---sending shivers down to his spine.

"Dust."

Seungri opened his eyes, shocked from what he just heard. He saw the man in front of him, his index finger and thumb intact, showing him the dust he got off from his cheek. Seungri's face turned even got more red. He never felt so embarrassed in his whole life. What he was expecting was something more than that. He tried to shake it off, acting like he knew all along and laughed. "Ah, right! The dust! Of course!"

The man laughed. "What? Were you expecting something else?"

"O-Of course not!"

"Ah, I see," said the man, smiling mockingly.

Suffering from the awkwardness, Seungri rubbed the side of his neck. The man was staring right at him with such goading smile, he couldn't help but look away. He tried thinking of something to say in order to get out of the discomfort he was feeling. Suddenly, he thought of the thing that was bothering him the most for the past few years. Something he wanted to ask long ago, but just forgets to because his mind goes blank whenever he sees him.

"Uh.. I want to ask you something," he said, still avoiding eye contact.

The man cheekily smiled at him. "What is it?"

"Well, we've been seeing each other for so long, but, I still have no idea what's your name.."

"Why do you want to know?" He chuckled. "Does it matter?"

"Of course it matters. You know mine, so, I should know yours, too."

"Nah, it's better this way." He winked at him. "It's much more mysterious."

Seungri stared at him, unsure of how to respond. The man just smiled at him, enjoying every bit of reaction he makes. No matter what Seungri does, he finds it charming and endearing.

RIIIINGGG!!!

The loud noise made Seungri jump from where he was standing. His expression changed---a slight frown formed on his face. He knew very well what was that familiar sound. It was this part of his dream that he hated the most---the part where they drift apart. He hated it, but he had no choice. It is, after all, a dream. Sooner or later, he had to wake up and come back to reality.

"Well, goodbye," said the man, smiling.

Seungri nodded. "Yeah, goodbye. I'll see you again, right?"

The man's smile slowly faded away. Upon seeing this, Seungri immediately felt something was wrong. For years, they've been seeing each other, and not once, have he seen the man change his expression into this. 

"About that.. I might not be appearing in your dreams ever again," he said, looking at him with sorrowful eyes.

Seungri felt as if something got stabbed deep inside his chest. He wanted to ask why, but as soon as he opened his mouth, his eyes opened as well---he's now back to reality.

He sat up from his bed, looking around him, and much to his disappointment, he was no longer in his dreams---he was back at his bedroom; the sun rising through the window, the birds chirping, and his alarm clock ringing. Seungri held his head, bewildered from what he just dreamt of. "W-What the hell? What's that supposed to mean?"

Before he knew it, tears were rolling down his cheeks. The thought of him not seeing the man in his dreams ever again, made his world fall apart. For years of them seeing each other, the man became part of his life. He cherished and cared for him, even though he just part of his dream. Never, for once, had it occurred to him that the man will just disappear like that. He thought, for as long as he's alive, once he goes to sleep, he'll see the man that makes his life colorful.

 


 

Days have passed, Seungri is still living his normal life; he goes to work, trying to do his best to get his job done; he meets with his friends, trying to maintain a healthy social life; and he talks to women, trying to find the right one and move on from him. He learned how to live a normal, happy life without depending on the company of a man he wasn't even sure, existed. 

One fine afternoon, where the weather was the most perfect weather he had ever witnessed, Seungri decided to take his day off and just relax. He pampered himself; going to a spa, shopping for clothes, and reading his favorite book while drinking the best-tasting coffee there ever was. He sat on the corner of the coffee shop, enjoying the last activity for his day. The atmosphere was perfect---quiet, clean, and relaxing. 

Focused on his reading, Seungri didn't notice the man sit across him.

"Hey."

Seungri felt his heart skip a beat. The voice he just heard was just so familiar to him, that it gave him goosebumps. He thought for sure his ears were deceiving him and just playing him for a fool. Terrified, and at the same time, nervous, Seungri reluctantly decided to see for himself if his suspicion was right. He raised his head, slowly landing his eyes on the man sitting across him.

Upon seeing the man, it's as if time had stopped for Seungri. He rubbed his eyes, checking if it was only an illusion. But, no matter how hard he rubbed, the man just won't go away. Seungri gulped---he was at loss for words. He couldn't believe his eyes. Is this a dream? He thought to himself.

"Hey there, Seungri," said the man, smiling cheekily.

Seungri just stared at him, frozen, unable to utter a word.

The man reached out his hands towards Seungri and introduced himself.

"My name's Jiyong, by the way."