C4pt3r 0n3

Call Me Baby

  I should just return Lay's watch to the store and go home. Instead, I am sitting by the circular fountain in the Crystal Mall, staring at the window of the Etude House shop. It features a poster of an Eighteen-year-old girl with pale skin and says 'Have lighter skin. Look younger- go back in time.'

 Sounds good to me. If I could go back in time, there is a lot I would tell my younger self. Including;

 In third grade, do not let HyoYeon cut your bangs. Your friend is no stylist. She is going to accidently cut them too short. And too crooked. She will not always be your best friend, either.

 In fifth grade, do not put marshmallows in the toaster oven, even though it seems like a good idea. Yummy! No. When they expand, the tip of one of the marshmallows will kiss the burner, and the toaster catches fire, and your entire family will forever bring up the story about how you almost burnt the apartment down.

 Sophomore year: do not leave your diamond necklace in an old hankerchief in the cafeteria- unless you want to wade through the garbage bins and try to find it.

 This December, do not buy the KMall pants you like in a size 00 because you believe they will stretch. They will not. May 21st- do not buy Him a silver watch for a surprise graduation gift, because then you will spend senior skip day at the mall returning it, which brings me to the most important tip.

 About HIM. Lay.

 If I could go back in time, the most important thing I would tell myself would be this: never ever fall for Lay. I would warn fourteen-year-old me to never even go out with Lay in the first place. Or even better- the party where we officiall met, when I was a freshman never could have happened. Okay, the party could have happened, but when he called me later and asked me out, I would have said no. Nice of you to ask but I am just not interested. Thanks, but no thanks. Have a nice life. Maybe I would tell myself to stay home instead and organize my closet.

 Imagine that. Talking to my fourteen-year-old self. I wish.

 I spot Jessica at the huge BLANC store, right beside the Etude House shop. She waves. I wave back. "YoonA, come see my new design," She calls. "It's stunning!" I am not sure... She swore that my pants would fit. "I will give you the employee discount." She offers, even though I have not worked a shift since the winter holidays.

 "I will come look in a minute." I call back to her. I rummage through my bag, find my phone, and open my messages. I want to hear the message Lay left this morning. Again. I have only listened to it once. Fine, twelve times. I know- pathetic. But I keep hoping each time that it will be different.

 "Hi, YoonA. It's me." Lay's voice is deep and raspy, but it has always been like that. We tried cigarrettes once, together, at the mountain lookout when we were sophmores. But when we kissed, he tasted like a dirty sock, so that was the end of our smoking. Until our relationship went up in smoke.

 "I wish you would answer." He continues. "You always answer." A pause as tough he is waiting for me to answer also continues. "MiAhnADa. MiAnHae, JeongMal. I never meant to hurt you."

 The message is still playing in my ears, but I can barely hear, because now I am crying, and my cheeks are all wet and my hand is all wet and how could he have told me he loves me when he obviously does not and-"

 SPLASH!

 Like a bar of soap in the shower, my phone has slipped through my fingers and landed in the fountain. Great. One more thing to tell my younger self; do not drop your phone into a house-sized saucer of green chlorine. I peer into the water. A flash of silver twinkles up at me. Is that it? Ani... It is a coin. The pond is filled with coins in addition to my phone. Are there really people out there who believe that throwing a coin into the water can make a wish come true?

 Aha! I see it! I stretch out to reach it, but it is a bit too far away. I lie down on my stomach and reach again. A little more. Almost there.

 Luckily, I am wearing sandals. I look around to make sure no security people are watching, then stand on the bench, roll up the bottoms of my oxygen-depriving KMall pants, and step in.

 Cold. Slimy. When I look down, my toes are bloated and tinted green. Maybe the water is radioactive and I am turning into Keroro.

 Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Kris Wu and Huang ZiTao walking around like they own the place. Kris, definitely one of the most good-looking guys in my school, is over six feet tall, and has an angelic face structure. He also knows four languages- Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and English.  And Huang ZiTao- everyone just calls him Tao- already looks like an Eighteen-year-old Chinese warrior, with his bronze skin, toned build, and tough look. Tao is abroad in Seoul with the top Wushu students in China. Tao, just finishing his daily trainging session, met up with Kris to have lunch together.

 I duck down so the cool senior duo will not see me. That would be just perfect, right? The water soaks through the knees of my pants. Aaaish! AnDwe! When the guys turn to the food court, I find my footing and try to relocate my phone. And there it is. GyaTa!! Balanced on top of a pyramid of coins. Got it.

 Now all I have to do is safely make it to the other side-

 SPLAT!!

 The swirls of water push me over, and the next thing I know, I am flat  on my . Great, this is just great. My eyes start to prickle.

 I heave myself up and back to the safety of the fountain's edge, leaving a trail of shiny green droplets. I ignore my sopping wet pants- maybe the chemicals will help them stretch. I wipe my phone against my shirt, as if that is going to help. Please, do not be broken. I press the on button.

 No sound. No connection. Nothing.

 I spot Jessica staring at me. "GwenChaNa?"

 "Ah, Neh. GwenChaNa!!" I wave, then focus on my phone again. Still nothing. I press the on button about one-hundred times. I kick the floor, and my sandal makes a squishy sound.

 I press the menue button. The phone comes alive.

 There we go. I have no idea who I called, but it is ringing.