An Old Friend

Forgotten Memories

 

Time goes by so fast, we’ve already come all this way

But how come you haven’t changed at all? You’re still pretty

 

   It has been over a month since Jooyoung went missing in Cambodia. Hyorin was still waiting for news regarding her beloved husband. Is he still alive or is he dead? Where is he now? These  unanswered questions haunted her all the time. Throughout that month, she lived like a zombie in a dishevelled state. She neglected her health as well as her pregnancy. She also refused to step out of her house and she buried herself with Jooyoung’s items in her room. This caused worry to her parents and in-laws. Her mother has been staying with Hyorin as Hyorin needed extra attention.

 

   It was a breezy Saturday afternoon. The dishevelled grasses soon became lush. The trees budded with leaf and blossom, and the harsh sleet became soft rain. The spring had finally arrived. Hyorin stood by the apartment window and watched the neighbourhood children running around happily at the nearby playground as if they were welcoming spring.

 

   “Go out and get some  fresh air.” Hyorin’s mother comment startled Hyorin.

 

   Hyorin shook her head in disagreement.

 

   “Until when will you shut yourself away from the world? Think about your baby, Hyorin. It’s bad for your health and your pregnancy if you continue to stay indoors,” her mother advised.

 

   Hence, Hyorin decided to go out and have a stroll around her neighbourhood after her mother’s constant nagging.

 

~.~

 

   The spring breeze swept through Hyorin’s hair. She hugged herself and dragged her feet around the neighbourhood. If it was up to her, she would not want to step out of the house. She just wanted to lock herself up in her room and cry. Not long after, Hyorin’s stomach lurched and waves of nausea overwhelmed her.

 

   Urgh, not again. Hyorin grumbled to herself and quickly searched for the nearest washroom. Hyorin was relieved when she noticed a cafe not far from where she was standing. She rushed to the cafe. Since Hyorin was in a panic state, she was not aware of her surroundings. Suddenly, she tumbled forward and bumped into someone which caused that person to drop the food he purchased.

 

   Hyorin felt vomit rising in and she clasped her hand over to prevent herself from vomiting. Without glancing at the person who she bumped into, she hurried to the cafe and into the washroom. The person was flabbergasted with what just happened and he decided to follow Hyorin from behind.

 

   After washing her face, Hyorin exited the washroom. She was surprised when she noticed a man leaning against the wall as if he was waiting for her. She approached the man and she raised her eyebrows at him.

 

   “Hyunwoo? Son Hyunwoo?” Hyorin tilted her head and observed the man.

 

   The man immediately looked up, “Hyorin?”

 

   “Hyunwoo! Why are you here? Are you waiting to go to the washroom? I’m sorry I took such a long time in there,” Hyorin gave a short chuckle. Hyunwoo was Hyorin’s good friend in high school. However, they went separate ways after graduation. The last time Hyorin heard from Hyunwoo was when he went abroad to continue his studies while Hyorin stayed in Korea to study business.

 

   Hyunwoo shook his head, “It’s fine. I bumped into you earlier and you seem like you were sick. Are you okay?”

 

   Hyorin gasped when she remembered the man who she bumped into, “That was you? I’m so sorry. I didn’t notice you were there.”

 

   “It’s fine. But, are you okay?”

 

   Hyorin flashed a tiny smile and nodded.

 

   Hyunwoo observed Hyorin’s pale and sickly face, “But you don’t look too good. Do you want me to bring you to the doctor?”

 

   “No, it’s fine. I’ll be okay once I get some rest. I better get going now. It’s nice meeting you again, Hyunwoo,” Hyorin smiled.

 

   “Ah… It’s Shownu now. We should meet up soon and catch up.”

 

   “Sure. Just call me anytime,” Hyorin grabbed a paper and a pen from a table and wrote down her number. Then, she handed Shownu the paper. That was when Shownu noticed a diamond ring on Hyorin’s fourth finger.

 

   Before Shownu could ask, Hyorin bid farewell to him and walked out of the cafe.

 

~.~

 

   Hyorin slowed down her pace. She was blinded with flashing colourful spots and the pain would throb violently around her skull. Her hands were busy rubbing her temples as she tried to reduce the pain.

 

   Come on, Hyorin. Get a grip of yourself. Hyorin tried to tell herself. However, she began to lose her balance and she staggered backwards until she collapsed in a heap to the pavement. Shownu who was quietly tagging her behind immediately rushed towards her.

 

   Shownu stooped beside her and shook her gently, “Hyorin? Hyorin?”

 

   Hyorin remained unresponsive. At that moment, he noticed blood stain on Hyorin’s white skirt. Shownu fumbled in his pocket for his handphone. He then instantly dialled for the ambulance.


   “Hel… Hello… Please come over. Someone has fainted.”

 

~.~

 

Author's note: I would like to thank everyone (whether you are a silent reader or not) who read my story so far. Thank you for commenting and honestly, your comments motivate me to write more. Knowing that there are people who are actually reading my story is actually comforting. Hence, thank you so much. :)