She got that from you

50/50
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MN: If you want, read Emetophobia first. This is a sequel for that oneshot.

 

 

Minho still remembers the day he thought he would lose everything. It’s as clear as clean water, as clear as the wind. It’s funny, because he didn’t lose anything. He gained a lot instead.

It was one of the coldest winters he’s ever seen, and his other half shouldn’t have gotten a fever, but he did. The doctors were really upset and worried, because in his state, a fever was dangerous. It was a big no-no for him.

That night was the night he met his princess. His best friend laughed at him for worrying so much when it wasn’t needed. Everything went well despite the circumstances. They had to stay in the hospital for a week because Taemin’s fever didn’t go down, and since he got it, the little girl got it too.

“You got that from your mommy,” Minho decided. “He gets sick easily, too.”

But still, Minho was happy, because the day he thought he would lose everything, he didn’t lose anything at all.

 

Life was good for Minho and Taemin.

Not saying that little Mina was a burden –because she is not—but now they understood when their parents said they should sleep as much as they can before she arrived. It’s not that Mina does not sleep, no; it’s the fact that even the tiniest of sounds wakes her up. Baby Mina was just a few weeks old, but Taemin already knows who she inherited that from.

“You got that from your daddy,” Taemin decided. “He’s a light sleeper too.”

Minho proved this one night. The man has a bad habit; he sleeps with the TV on. But this changed when baby Mina arrived home.

The little girl was finally asleep at the same time her parents had to go to sleep. Both of them were exhausted, Taemin was already falling asleep, but Minho couldn’t. “Tae…”

“I swear, if you turn on the TV and she wakes up I’ll murder you.” Taemin’s sleepy voice whispered next to him. Minho had to hold in the chuckle that wanted to escape his throat in fear of being too noisy for their baby.

He silently sighed, “This is so unfair. When she’s finally asleep, I can’t sleep.”

“Don’t make me laugh.” Taemin begged, completely understanding him but still finding it incredibly funny. “Try to go to the living room and watch TV.”

“Oh?” Minho said, surprised but still whispering. “You want me to sleep on the couch?”

Taemin hit his arm slightly. “No, I’m just suggesting something. If you don’t want to, you can stay here and not sleep at all, I don’t mind.”

When Minho actually thought about it, it wasn’t a bad idea. Sleeping on the couch isn’t that appealing, but he has been sleep deprived for a few weeks now, so if the only way of sleeping is on the couch… The couch it is. He kissed Taemin’s cheek and as silently as possible, he got out of bed. “Okay, don’t miss me too much.”

“I won’t, now be quiet.”

An hour later, baby Mina was still sleeping, Minho was awake downstairs and Taemin was awake staring at the ceiling.

“What’s wrong?” Taemin asked quietly when he saw Minho entering the room and getting in bed again.

“It didn’t work.” He simply said as he got under the covers and hugged the other being next to him.

“Why?” Taemin asked.

“It was too cold. Here I’m warm.”

“Hmm,” Taemin mumbled as he hugged Minho’s torso. “I lied.”

“What?”

“I did miss you.”

 

As time progressed and Mina grew, her personality was starting to become clearer and she started to develop something most babies have: cuteness. They have seen many extremely cute moments of Mina, like when she’s having her “Tummy Time” and she starts to wriggle and protest because she hates to be on her tummy. That’s a very, very cute moment. But it wasn’t until Mina was a few months old that her cute side was on full force.

It’s not that she does it on purpose when she wants her favorite toy though; it was on the most unexpected times that her cuteness made its appearance.

 

It was one night, Minho and Taemin remember, when they got to see one of Mina’s cutest moments. They were going back home from a trip to Mino’s parent’s house. They had wanted to see Mina when she was born but couldn’t due to the bad weather and the fact they live two hours away. That’s why they were visiting, so Mina gets to meet her grandparents for the first time. It was really nice for them to see Minho’s dad all bubbly and happy with her when he’s usually a very strict and serious man.

Now on their way back home, it’s starting to get dark and they are still one hour away. Taemin was sitting cross-legged despite Minho’s protests. “Sit properly, Tae.”

“But I’m comfortable like this.”

They’ve been going on like this for a while now, but they don’t really mind it, it works as a distraction for staying awake, they are tired from the trip.

“If we have an accident…”

“We won’t have an accident if you stop worrying and keep driv—.” Taemin couldn’t continue, as he heard a small whine, more like blabbering from the back seat. “What is she doing?”

Minho looked by the rear-view mirror and couldn’t help but laugh. “Oh god, look at her.” Taemin turned around on his seat to see what on earth his daughter is doing.

When he turned around, he saw the most adorable thing ever. Mina was in a little battle with staying awake or falling asleep. Her eyes closed for a few seconds and she snapped them open once she realized she had almost given in. The little girl looked around, trying to find something interesting to keep her sight on and not fall asleep, as she did that she found her mommy’s eyes and sleepily –and cutely—stared at him.

“Baby, are you sleepy?” It was pretty obvious that she was tired from all the playing she did with her grandparents. But Taemin still asked; he was too absorbed in Mina’s cuteness to care.

Hearing his voice, the little girl’s fist made its way to her eyes, rubbing them cutely in an attempt to make the sleepiness disappear. But it wasn’t working, her head was still wobbling to the side and her eyes kept closing by their own.

Mina sensed that she wasn’t going to win this battle and let out a whine of defeat, followed by a whimper.

“Oh .” Before she started to really cry, Minho doesn’t know how, but Taemin was able to twist his body in a way that he could reach the pacifier on the baby’s lap and put it in . The little girl instantly calmed down and let sleep overtake her tired body.

“Holy cra-”

“Hey.”

“-crab. That was close.” Minho said as he let out a sigh of relief. Mina crying in the car isn’t the best thing in the world and he’s glad they didn’t have to see that tonight. They are too tired to deal with a tantrum in the backseat.

Looking by the mirror again, he saw the little girl sleeping soundly and smiled. “She’s so cute.”

“Shh, don’t wake her up.”

“She got that from you,” Minho said happily, Taemin giving him a deadly glare, already knowing what he wants to say. “Both of you are unbelievably cute when sleepy.”

 

When Mina was born, neither of them wanted to let her go or leave her side. If Taemin wasn’t holding her, Minho was. If they weren’t holding her, they would be constantly watching her. Maybe it’s a “New Parent” thing, or maybe it happens to everyone, but they couldn’t leave her side—better saying, they didn’t want to. It’s just that she was so tiny; the doctor said it was normal since she was premature, but she was so small and precious, they were afraid something would happen to her if she was left alone.

But now? Mina doesn’t want them to leave; she’s the one that’s always holding onto them for dear life. She would literally cry if you stopped holding her, and not just simply cry, no, her cries were made to make you feel guilty for not holding her.

People say every baby does that at one point, they become attached and that’s completely normal. They don’t mind it, but it makes it harder to do the things they have to do.

Like one morning, Minho was supposed to leave for work, but as soon as he let go of Mina’s little hand, she began to cry. Taemin tried to make her stop by carrying her somewhere else, but she would cry harder, as if saying “I want daddy now.” Minho had to skip work that day, going back inside and taking her in his arms, the baby calming down instantly, like a magic spell.

With Taemin it was a little different.

If he isn’t in her visual field, she will start crying, period. Taemin went once to check on her in her room because it was past 10AM and she was too quiet in there. When he peeked in the room, she was sitting in her crib, playing with her teddy bear. Mina saw him, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter