Prologue

Fire in the Rain

Jieun never learnt to play the cello. Her parents were typically traditional and they always wanted to nurture their children into music talents. Jieun and Jiyeon first started to come into contact with instruments when they were in kindergarten. Jiyeon soon became a great violinist, whilst Jieun proved that she was totally a music idiot. Not to mention about performing a complete piece of music, she couldn't even hold the bow properly and tripped herself over the cello. She nearly screamed with esctasy when her parents finally allowed her to quit learning the cello, yet her heart sank when she caught the glimpse of disappointment in her parents' eyes.

Jieun discoved her talent when her family visited the park. There, she ran like the wind, like birds soaring in the sky, whilst Jiyeon tried to catch up with her, but ended up panting and kneeling on the field. Jieun turned her head around grinning, only to find her parents with no hint of pride nor satisfaction, she then learnt that her parents would never compliment her.

Through all these years, she had already gotten use to taking part alone in competitions. No matter how many medals and cups she brought home, her parents would neglect them all. To them, sports was not a thing to be valued. Whenever Jiyeon received a prize, her parents would shower her with admiration and keep them seated glass cupborad in the living room to show every guest the achievments she had made. To Jieun, it was the opposite. All the golden cups and medals she received in the atheletics meet was put into a box under her bed. Her parents never cared. This was the largest difference between her and her twin sister.

Jieun always ranked within top ten in class. Still, her parents were not satisfied, espcially compared to her sister, the 'Class Award holder'. This was why her parents believed that sports was the culprit that declined her academy.

Previously, her parents never interfered in her academics, but things were different as Jieun started college. Her parents were demandingly harsh as her academy would affect her admission for university and they did not want Jieun to embarass them by failing to enter the prestigious Seoul National University. This is when her parents began to threaten her to choose between her talent and the Sung's reputation. This is when Sung Jieun started to fall apart. This is when she decided to give up upon herself.

And this is when a helping hand reached out for her far away. This is when Kim Myungsoo stepped into her life.

 

They say that the beauty of youth is to find love.