Everything is fine

Spiralling

 

Onew scrunched his eyebrows up as he stared at the medication in his hand. The headache he had since he woke up that morning tore away at the left side of his scull. 
 
Thankfully he had no classes again that day. Onew swallowed the pills and walked out of his room. 
 
"Hurry!" Key shouted from the stair landing as Minho rushed out of his room.
 
Minho almost tripped as he ran down the stairs and he and Key dissapeared out the front door with a hasty goodbye. 
 
Onew walked down the hallway and glanced at Jonghyun, who was still asleep, sprawled out on his stomach, one arm flung over the side of the bed. Onew didn't have the heart to wake him just yet. Taemin on the other hand..
 
"Taemin!" Onew shouted when he walked into the boys room. Taemin jerked upwards, eyes still closed, and then fell back down on his bed again. "It's your turn to make breakfast." Onew pulled on Taemin's arm.
 
"Why.. why are you up so early?" Taemin mumbled, willing his body to be as heavy as possible so that Onew couldn't pull him off of his bed.
 
"I'm always up this early." Onew corrected, putting his back into yanking Taemin out of his slumber.
 
"Not you're not." Taemin snapped, smacking Onew's hands away. His eyebrows creased into a deep frown as he tried to hold onto his peaceful sleep.
 
Onew knew he'd succeeded, a smile spreading on his face. "Okay. You can sleep now." He walked out of the room and mentally counted down from 20 as he glided down the stairs.
 
"AHH." Taemin complained suddenly, making Onew smile even more.
 
Taemin walked unsteadily down the stairs until he was in the kitchen with Onew. "Let's make breakfast."
 
"Are you sure?" Onew asked innocently. "You can sleep you know."
 
Taemin glared at him, seeing right through his raised eyebrows and acquitted facial expression. Onew's face twisted into a sly smirk, very pleased with himself.
 
 
 
"You're making noise." Jonghyun appeared in the doorway of the kitchen, fingers gingerly massaging his eyelids.
 
Onew honestly looked apologetic. "Sorry." 
 
Taemin put his hands up. "Wasn't me."
 
Jonghyun didn't reply, turning around and walking back up the stairs.
 
"How come you leave everyone alone to sleep except me?" The unjust tone of Taemin's voice made Onew chuckle. He turned around to plug in the rice cooker.
 
________________________________
 
Taemin walked up the stairs to go fetch Jonghyun. It was strange that he was asleep so late, usually he'd be the one to wake everyone up in the morning.
 
"Jonghyun." Taemin put his hand on the doorframe. Jonghyun didn't move. "Jjong!" Taemin shouted. Jonghyun groaned, irritated.
 
Taemin huffed and took a different course of action, jumping onto the bed instead. "HYUNG!" Taemin shook Jonghyun's shoulders. "Wake up."
 
Jonghyun's eyes snapped open angrily, an expression Taemin had only seen a few times crossed over the older boy's face.
 
"Get off!" Jonghyun pushed Taemin off of him with as much force as he could manage, sending the boy crashing to the floor beside the bed. 
 
Jonghyun regretted it straight away and jolted upright and out of the bed to make sure Taemin was okay. "I'm sorry!" 
 
Taemin rubbed at his elbow. "Geez, someone woke up on the wrong side of bed." Taemin pulled away from Jonghyun's grip and walked out of the room.
 
"Breakfast's ready." He muttered without looking back. Jonghyun shut his eyes in frustration and started to follow Taemin, apalled at himself.
 
________________________________
 
Onew waited until Taemin had left for his mid-morning class before he approached Jonghyun, who sat on the couch dejectedly staring into space.
 
"Jonghyun." Onew tried to get his attention. Jonghyun turned to face him reluctantly. 
 
"Are you okay?" 
 
"Yes. Everything's fine. Why wouldn't I be." Jonghyun plastered a smile on his face. Onew could recognise a fake smile anywhere, Jonghyun wasn't fooling anyone.
 
"Well, this morning..."
 
"Taemin ratted me out." Jonghyun stated with a hint of a smirk.
 
"Is it about what happened last-"
 
"I don't want to talk about that." Jonghyun deadpanned.
 
Onew didn't know what to say after that so he shrugged his shoulders, as if telling Jonghyun that he was welcome to talk to him about it when he was ready. Onew walked away without another word.
 
_______________________________
 
Onew waited on the front step of their dorm for Key and Minho to come back from their last class. He was beginning to think they'd never get back when he heard Key's signature laugh. Onew, who was by now slumped against a wall, stood up and walked towards the two guys. 
 
"Took you long enough."
 
The smiles on his friends faces faltered slightly at Onew's panicked expression. "Minho dragged me to the track, what's up?" Key leveled. 
 
"Please try to cheer Jonghyun up when you go in there. He's been a pain the whole day. Moping around, staring at stuff... it's creepy." Onew's face scrunched up.
 
Minho's expression flashed with worry.
 
Key sighed and looked at Minho. "Do you know anything about this?"
 
Minho paused, wondering how to explain what had happened the night before. He knew that it was a dream because there was really no other explanation. Jonghyun said it was real but sometimes dreams did feel real. So, ever the skeptic, Minho told Key his version of the story. "He had a nightmare."
 
Key rolled his eyes. "He'll get over it by tomorrow."
 
"Jonghyun!" Key shouted cheerfully and ran into the house looking around. 
 
"Key." Jonghyun greeted unenthusiastically.
 
Key spun around, slightly scared since Jonghyun was behind him. He laughed nervously. "H-how'd you get there so fast?"
 
"I'm a ninja." Jonghyun meant for it to sound witty but it just didn't, and he knew that Key noticed.
 
"Uh huh." Key's smile grew into a huge grin. "HUG ME!" and without warning Key had glomped Jonghyun, making the vocalist laugh for the first time that day.
 
Jonghyun tantatively hugged him back. "Why are you so affectionate all of a sudden?"
 
"Minho said you had a nightmare." Key squeezed Jonghyun, hoping that he was at least comforting him. God knows -Key rarely did these kinds of things. But Jonghyun went limp in his arms and Key pulled away to look at him. The anger on his face was evident enough.
 
"Minho told you?" Jonghyun grit his teeth.
 
Another nervous laugh. "Yeah." Then Key watched as Jonghyun walked up the stairs, not even glancing at Minho as he greeted Jonghyun from the hall.
 
Minho furrowed an eyebrow at Key. "What did you do?"
 
"Nothing. I hugged him." Eyes wide with innocence, Key walked into the kitchen.
 
_________________________________
 
A/N: If you follow this story, I'm so sorry it's taking me forever. It's THEE most spur-of-the-moment story I have ever written so I just write it when I really feel into it. This chapter was written for like a month though lol but I just had to finish it up. 
 
Your comments really push me to get off my and write so.. comments are <3