Deathly

Spiralling

"Do you believe in the supernatural Donghae?" Jonghyun walked alongside his History buddy towards the philosophy building in the middle of campus.

"As much as any other person." Donghae raised an eyebrow at Jonghyun's hyper attitude towards the subject.

"For a guy who's majoring in philosophy you're quite a skeptic." Jonghyun laughed.

"I'm a practical person JJong." Donghae corrected.

"Then I suppose there's no point in sharing my nonpractical ideas with you." Jonghyun bound up the stairs towards the big building's entrance.

___________________

Key tried to concentrate on the Biology lecturer infront of him but everytime Minho sighed, clicked his pen or made any kind of distracting noise he'd get side-tracked.

"Stop it." Key hissed, grabbing Minho's pen away from him.

"Is there a problem Kibum?" The professor looked up at him from the bottom of the upwards sloping hall.

"No." Key turned away from Minho as other students turned back to stare.

"Maybe you'd like to tell us about Mitochondrial evolution?" The young man tilted his head to the side, folding his arms.

"Uhm. It has something to do with a monophyletic origin." Key stated.

"Not just something to do with it." The man laughed lightly and turned to his board to continue with his diagram and monologue.

Key glared at Minho, who only mouthed the word 'what?'.


When their class was over Key piled all of his books and notes up into a neat stack before picking the heavy load up. Minho put his own books into his bag.

"What's with the dramatic sighs?" Key asked as they walked out.

"I'm just bored."

"I know, this section is boring." Key shook his head and looked at the floor infront of him.

"Not just this section. It's everything. My classes, my life, my f-"

"If you dare say your friends you're walking yourself to lunch." Key warned.

Minho grinned cheekily. "I was going to say family."

"Of course you were." Key laughed. "Well, I don't know, I think you have it pretty good here."

"A sports scholar? Yeah, it's the life." Minho said sarcastically.

"You know what, I'm tired of your whining. Let's go eat, maybe then you'll be thinking straight."


Key and Minho met up with Taemin on the way.

"Please tell him to shut up about his perfect life." Key begged Taemin.

"It's not perfect." Minho muttered. "Far from."

Key rolled his eyes. "Anyway, how was your first day of English?" Key looked at Taemin, hoping to change the subject.

"Great." Taemin smiled. "Except Onew kept falling asleep."

"Speaking of, where is he?"

____________________

Onew caught up with Jonghyun straight after class.

"Jonghyun!" Onew caught up with him and Donghae as they took the long way to the cafeteria.

"Woah! Slow down you might fall over." Donghae mocked. Ever since he'd found out that Onew was clumsy he'd non-stop.

"Ha." Onew laughed sarcastically then ignored Donghae as he walked beside Jonghyun. "Please can I borrow your phone. I left mine at home and Taemin lost his."

"Sure." Jonghyun put his hands into his pockets and stopped when he felt that they were empty. He patted himself down as his eyes widened. "Where is it?" He muttered.

"You lost it didn't you." Onew stated tepidly, shaking his head.

"I misplaced it. There's a difference."

Onew began to run again. "You lost it." He shouted over his shoulder.

"He really doesn't like me." Donghae laughed.

Jonghyun considered candy-coating it but couldn't be bothered. "I know. It's weird. He likes everyone."

Jonghyun smirked at Donghae's shocked expression. He was expecting him to lie.

___________

Minho tapped Key's shoulder with a smirk as he pointed in the distance. Key adjusted his eyes to the bright quad then saw Onew running as if he was in a marathon towards them.

"What is that crazy person doing now?"

Minho and Taemin laughed.

When Onew got to them he leaned over with his hands on his knees, panting. He ignored all the stares he got from a group of girls that sat at the table beside theirs.

"Practising to beat Jonghyun in the sprints next month?" Minho laughed.

"I.. need a.. phone..." Onew said between labored breaths.

"Why?" Key asked, chewing on a cherry tomato.

"Please.. don't.. make me explain."

Key took out his cellphone and handed it to Onew, who's eyes lit up. "Thanks."

Onew dialed a number and walked away so that he was out of earshot.

"No foreign calls!" Key shouted through cupped hands. Onew waved a hand at him in dismissal.

"Where's Jonghyun?" Minho looked around.

"There." Taemin pointed behind Minho.

"Dammit Taemin, I was sneaking up on them." Jonghyun slumped his shoulders in defeat. Donghae had left his side to sit with the largest group of boys in the quad.

Key turned back to look at Jonghyun aswell. "Nice try but you'll never sneak up on us."

"91-line." Minho held his hand up for Key to highfive.

"Cheesy." Key laughed but slapped his hand against Minho's anyway. Jonghyun walked around the table to sit beside Taemin. He looked back at Onew who was still talking on the phone. A deathly serious expression painted his face.

"Hmm." Jonghyun commented and turned back to his platter of food.

"It happened again last night." Jonghyun grinned suddenly.

"What?" Taemin raised an eyebrow.

"Remember a few years ago when I kept being visited by a ghost."

"When it sat on your chest?" Taemin remembered.

"Exactly." Jonghyun beamed.

"How is that exciting at all." Key creased his brow. "I don't like the idea of something lurking around our dorm at night."

"Wait a second. I was there too how come nothing happened to me?" Minho queried.

"Because the ghost didn't like you. It preferred your roomate." Key bit into his sandwich, staring ahead but smiled when he felt Minho's glare on him.

"No. I just think I'm more open-minded." Jonghyun smirked. "Artists over jocks and all that."

"I think it's creepy nonetheless." Key mumbled through his full mouth.

Jonghyun's smile faltered. "Well I think it's cool." Taemin encouraged.


Onew walked back to their table slowly. His face pale. He'd been in such a rush to hear the results of his brain scan. It was confirmed. He had a tumor and was going to die some time in the next six months. He looked at his friends as he sat down at the table and smiled weakly, handing the phone back to Key.

"So? Who was it?" Key asked before he noticed Onew's complexion.

"Nothing important." Onew sighed and tried to look less out of it.

"Are you Okay?" Jonghyun put a concerned hand on Onew's back.

"You don't look so well." Key frowned.

Onew smiled more convincingly. "I'm hungry."

They all laughed at their group leader. "Go get food then." Taemin chuckled and shook his head at the dramatism.

 

Onew stood up and walked away to get food, resolved to carry on living normally until the end. If he died tomorrow, atleast he'd know he was happy. And there was no way he'd be telling his friends. Not until the very end. They had enough to deal with. College life was to be enjoyed and not burdensome. Onew straightened his back and smiled as if it was his last chance to.