Final

unrequited and forbidden

I saw him before he saw me. My mind told me to run, but my legs were frozen to the spot. I was scared, knowing he would be the end of me, that he was so close to cracking the code of my little game. Yet, I was like a moth drawn to a flame, intrigued. Falling for his mysterious charisma, his quiet intelligence. We haven’t ever met, and I could only love him from afar.

I confess. I have a bounty over my head, because I have committed the most heinous of crimes. Murder. And I don’t regret it. Not even when I’m drenched in all 6 of my victims’ blood. I thought it was beautiful. Killing is my art, as well as my drug.

We are so close, yet so far. We exist in two different worlds. As lead detective, he enforces the law, and I, as a lowly criminal, I defy it. We just aren’t meant to be together.

The finale is drawing near. It is almost time for me to get caught and end everything. The scene was set, the body dragged in, everything is in place. I drop the last of my calling cards – an ace of hearts, watching it flutter down, resting softly next to the dead man.

There’s no need to call the police. They know already. It’s just a matter of time before they arrive. I sit on the floor next to the corpse. Seconds tick into minutes. The blood on my clothes has soon dried and turned a crusty dark red.

Footsteps. They are here.

Calmly, I raise my hands in surrender.

I look up, and lock eyes with his stormy grey ones, glancing back at me with such hatred.

I almost flinch, knowing full well that this is my own fault. I had led him and his team on a wild goose chase, robbing innocent civilians of their lives, only to surrender myself shortly after killing my latest victim.

He picks up the Ace of hearts. His emotions flitter from one to another across his handsome face. I watch in fascination as his anger and hatred morph into sadness then curiosity. Why? He seemed to ask. Why all those people? I have no answer for him. Soon, I am cuffed and bundled into an awaiting police car.

“Sentenced to death.” This is our fate. My fate. He wasn’t even present at my hearing.

Even as the needle pierced into my flesh, heart slowing to a stop, I reminisce the year I spent putting my little show into action, remembering those stormy grey eyes I unknowingly fell in love with, knowing all too well that our first official meeting would also be our last.