Memories That Fade Like Photographs

Memories That Fade Like Photographs

5 months ago.

 

“You have a tumor growing on the left side of your brain.” The doctor broke the news to me.

“Well, that explains those terrible headaches I’ve been getting.” I said.

“There’s no need for sarcasms, Alex. And why are you so relaxed about this?” Caleb asked. “Is she dying, doc?”

“The chances of dying depend on the size of the tumor. So far, hers is not that big yet but it’ll surely grow bigger if she doesn’t get a surgery to remove it.” The doctor informed us.

“Will there be any side effects?” I let Caleb do all the talking while I kept mum beside him.

“She may lose her memory little by little as the tumor grows.”

Well, that’s good to know.

I heard Caleb sighed. Man, why are you like this? I’m the one dying here.

Suddenly, the door opened and revealed a pale looking nurse.

“Dr. Jones, there’s a patient asking for you.” The doctor nodded.

“I’ll be back and I’ll come with the paper for you to sign in for a surgery.”

With that, he got up and went out.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Caleb looking at me. I waited for him to say something.

“Well?” was all he managed to say.

I looked at him with a bored look on my face. “Well what?”

“Are you getting a surgery or not?” He asked.

“Of course I am, Caleb. I don’t want to die young. And these ing headaches I’ve been getting has got to get the blipping out of my head” I rant and closed my eyes. To be honest, I don’t want a surgery. I don’t want to remember anyone I know now. Especially my parents.

My folks are somewhat and somehow well known in the business area between Australia and South Korea. Yes, we are filthy rich I cannot deny that. I’ve lived a luxurious life and always got what I want. Who said money can’t buy happiness? They absolutely can. I’ve been to almost every country in the world in a short span of 18 years. But then of course, there are some ad verses living my life. I don’t really have that much friends. Well, true friends to be exact. I may be loaded, but I’m not stupid. They’re all nice to me just because of my money. Don’t we all know that same exact story? I think we all do.

Oh, and don’t forget those arranged marriages. How lovely.

So far, I’ve been hooked up with boys that are ‘up to my standards’. Standards my .

Most of them are bastards, erts, and idiots. Thank god the woman I call 'mom' gave me the power to choose, eh?

If not, I’ll end up marrying one of them and would probably spend the rest of my life in a gutter with 20 kids to feed.

But what my parents don't know was that I'm already seeing someone. And I plan to spend the rest of my life in that gutter with him. What? You think going to South Korea back and forth won't find me someone? Oh, mommy and daddy dearest. Don't make me laugh.

“Yo, Alex." "Hello?" Caleb’s waved his hand in front of me. “What?” I snapped at him.

“Your phone’s ringing?” He raised one eyebrow.

After he said that had I realized there was a vibration in my jeans' pocket.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Alexis? Is that you, honey?”

“Yes, mother.” As soon as I said that Caleb, who was busy texting, turned his head at me.

“Where are you? No, don’t answer that. Wherever you are, I want you to be home before 6.”

At first, I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Nevermind, I just did.

“Why should I be home before 6?”

“Honey, don’t tell me you forgot about the dinner meeting you have?”

“Dinner meeting? What dinner mee… Oh.” I managed to say.

“Right. Just be home before 6, expect Jane in your room. I gotta go. Bye, honey.”

“Goodbye, mother.”  With a click, I put my phone back into my pocket.

I looked at the clock on the wall. The hands showed quarter to four.

Caleb was still staring at me.  I looked at him and stood up.

“Where you going?” He asked.

“Didn’t you hear? I’m going to a ‘dinner meeting’”, I air quoted that with my forefingers. “Just tell the doctor that I agree to whatever s he’s going to tell you. Sign that paper for me.” Without bothering what Caleb had to say, I swung open the door and walked out of the hospital.

 

 

 

 

Sorry, I may had a few fail going on around there. I'm not really much of a writer and I tend to write whatever that popped into my head. So yeah, comments would be great. I want your opinions, guys. :]