Catching a Cab

Catching a Cab

 

“Just do it one more time and then I’ll get out” said Minho

Jinki sighed and then stretched his arms and rolled his shoulders, as if about to do something impressive. “Name a place.”

Minho thought for a moment. “The new hotel Caliger on...”

Jinki interrupted him. “No need to tell me the street. Go down three blocks and take a left then another ten blocks, that’s when you would reach a roundabout, get off at the third exit and drive another five blocks and take a right, not a left, that may seem like the fastest way but the stoplight traffic combination up all the time. In eight blocks there is another round about, this time take the second exit and drive three more blocks and the destination will be on your left.”

Minho applauded in the back seat of the taxi. “How do you memorize all that?”

Jinki turned and smiled at his favorite customer. “I guess it’s just innate ability, now get out before I charge you extra.”

Minho laughed, then, seeing the expression on Jinki’s face darken, he exited the taxi.

The person who entered the cab next was an impressive sight. Jinki had never known someone could wear clothes as dark as that man did. He was thin and his tight fit cloths made him look even thinner. Jinki couldn't see the man's face past the black cap he was wearing.  He was breathing hard and held his arms and legs close to his body, as if to further conceal himself from sight. He didn't look weak though. He had well defined muscles, and every movement he made would ripple through them. Jinki wondered what a man like that would have to run from.

"Where are you headed?" Jinki asked.

The man steadied his breath before answering. "Just drive, not too fast not too slow, it doesn't matter where, just get my away from here."

He drove.

Whenever he would ask if the man wanted to stop, silence would answer him. Soon he stopped asking, believing that when the man wanted to get off he would say so.

He drove for hours; the fare rising to over 100,000 won. Jinki stopped the car, he had finally had enough.

“Now listen sir, I’ve been driving you around all day. What do you...” Jinki didn’t get to finish. The man had already jumped out of the car and started hightailing it out of there. Jinki could only see him for a few seconds before he turned a corner and was gone. Jinki sat in a dazed state unable to come to terms with what had just happened. After a while all he could do was bang his head on the steering wheel as he thought about how he would explain this to his boss.

...

Three months later Jinki everything was back to being completely normal. Average. Simple. So why did that man have to show his face again. This time it was on the 6 o’clock news - Wanted - Felon - some of the word sprawled across the face that had been stuck in Jinki’s head for the past three months. Jinki had spent that morning feeling much more than just unsettled. He put it out of his mind as soon as he got to work. There was no reason to worry about it anyway.

...

A man got into his taxi. He was well dressed, suit and tie, and had an air of superiority about him. Jinki recognized him immediately.

"You owe me a few thousand won." He said as soon as he started moving.

The man laughed. "You're going to have to wait a little while for that - Jinki." He looked straight at the rear view mirror. A shiver went up Jinki’s spine.

“How did you know my name?”

“It’s right there.” The man pointed to the license that was attached to the dashboard.

“Oh right.” Jinki laughed uncomfortably. “but still, you owe me money, I had to go though a lot because of you. I almost got fired.”

“Sorry about that.” The man smiled. “I’m Taemin by the way.”

“I don’t need to know your name.” Jinki said stopping the car, this time locking the doors. “I need my money and you aren’t getting out until I have it.”

Taemin laughed and suddenly Jinki felt something cold on the back of his neck.

“You need to drive.” Taemin said, his voice suddenly very dark. “Now.”

Jinki gasped for breath as he realized the the was a gun pointed at him, he started the car.

“It is my turn to talk now?” Taemin said. “You know, I’ve been thinking about you. Probably not a good thing for you. I knew you must have been thinking about me too, and I couldn’t really have that. I’m not going to let you go, I hope you know that, but I might let you live, as long as you do what I say. You are going to drive, drive until I say stop.”

Jinki glared at Taemin with an undisguisable hatred.

“Hey don’t look at me like that!” Taemin said, seemingly offended, “After all, this is our first date.”