Part I

Somewhere In Between

“I-I’m not always a dude.”

 

Jinki looked at his newly acquired boyfriend in utter confusion because that really was the last thing he expected to hear while making out with a lapful of the smaller man.

 

“Uh?” He uttered a bit stupidly, his hands still holding onto the younger’s slim waist as he tried to breathe properly.

 

Jonghyun’s hands that were resting on his chest started playing with the collar of his t-shirt as he chewed slightly on his still red and puffy lip – like he was trying to find the right words. Jinki squeezed his hips gently to show him that he could talk because clearly there was something bothering him.

 

“I’m genderfluid.” He said, not quite meeting Jinki’s eyes – like he was ashamed – and it suddenly looked like he was so uncomfortable in his own skin that the elder felt his heart clench.

 

“Jonghyun – ”

 

“I-I know I’m a freak, that this is all ed up but some days I’m perfectly fine being a guy and other days I feel like a girl and I even feel like I’m somewhere in the middle sometimes. A-and I’m sorry I lied to you recently, it wasn’t true that I was busy, I just felt like being a girl and I didn’t know how to tell you and I swear you won’t ever have to see me as a girl, we’ll just see each other when I’m a guy. I’m sorry I really like you please don’t break up with me – ” The younger defiled without a break until he took in a shaky breath and tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

 

Jinki stared at the blond for a second, processing the words before a relieved laugh left his lips he let his head fall against the back of the couch.

 

“You think this is a joke?” The younger whispered, his tone all kind of hurt and his fingers clenching the front of Jinki’s shirt.

 

The elder’s head snapped back up and he looked at his boyfriend with wider eyes, tightening his grip around him when he felt like he was about to stand up.

 

“No wait! Baby I’m sorry that’s not…I mean…Recently I really thought…I thought you started to get bored with me and that’s why you kept telling me you had something else planned.” Jinki explained quickly to not create a misunderstanding. “I could tell you were lying…I just…I didn’t expect that.” He said, giving a soft chuckle.

 

Jonghyun gave him a somewhat tight smile and Jinki’s grin faded again when he spotted the wet eyelashes and faintly trembling chin. The brunet moved his hands ups to the other’s face and cupped his cheeks gently, making him look at him.

 

“I’m not saying I’m not surprised and that it won’t take some getting used to but…I don’t care if you’re a guy or a girl. I fell hard for you. You as a person. As the cute dork with a dumb laugh who thinks my lame jokes are funny and who has this cheesy romantic side and I just…I won’t care as long as you’re comfortable with who you are.” He finished softly, pressing a soft kiss to his lips.

 

When he pulled back, Jonghyun was looking at him with so much affection that it made Jinki’s heart soar.

 

“Thank you…Thank you, thank you.” The younger chorused, burying his face in the elder’s neck and letting out a small sob.

 

Jinki smiled and wrapped his arms around him again and hugged him tightly, trying to shush him before something came to his mind.

 

“Hey...” He called softly. “Are you okay like this today? I mean…you said that recently you feel more like a girl so I don’t…I don’t really know how that works for you but – ”

 

Jinki stopped himself when he heard Jonghyun chuckled – albeit a bit tearfully – and he pulled him back to look at his face.

 

“I’m fine like this…But I think you should meet Junghee soon.” He said and Jinki sort of stilled because as he looked at his boyfriend, he tried to picture how pretty his lover would be as a girl.

 

“Of course.”

 

 

~***~

 

 

Junghee sat nervously at the café she asked Jinki to meet up with her a few days after she had come clear with him about everything. She knew the elder said it didn’t matter to him but sometimes people needed to see for themselves before getting freaked out by how she identified.

 

The blonde bit her lower lip for a second when she spotted him enter the café and scan the place until his eyes landed on her. Junghee nervously placed a strand of shoulder-length hair behind her ear and faintly smiled at him.

 

The brunet looked a bit shocked and Junghee held her breath until that bright smile appeared on his face and he walked up to her without an ounce of hesitation.

 

“Hey there.” He grinned leaning over and kissing her cheek before sitting down in the chair in front of her.

 

“Hi.” She exhaled, finally smiling for real because even if she could feel her boyfriend’s eyes analyzing her, he showed no sign of negativity whatsoever. “I just ordered our drinks they should be here soon.” She said to break the silence.

 

“Great, thanks Junghee.” He smiled and the blonde felt herself blush because the way he said her name so easily like he had accepted the fact so long ago, like the name wasn’t foreign to him in any way, it made her heart beat a tad faster.

 

“You keep looking at me.” Junghee said somewhat timidly after they received their drinks.

 

“You’re beautiful.” Jinki said with an easy smile.

 

“I-I uh…Thanks…I’m uh…Stop it.” She whined when she saw the playful smile appear on her boyfriend’s face.

 

“I like this.” The elder chuckled. “You’re cute when you’re flustered…Always been.” He added in almost a whisper.

 

Junghee really wanted to keep her emotions in check. She planned to stay strong no matter what his reaction would be but when the words left his lips, she could feel her eyes start to sting. He understood. He accepted her. Her personality wasn’t different when she was Jonghyun or Junghee. Nothing changed except her gender. She had the same quirks, the same flaws, the same everything and Jinki understood that.

 

“Hey are you going to cry?” Jinki asked, his voice showing a hint of panic as he stood up and rounded the table to sit beside her. “Did I say something wrong?” He asked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

 

Junghee shook her and head and chuckled – which sounded more like a choked sob – as she leaned her head against Jinki’s shoulder and loosely placed her arm over his waist.

 

“Just…” She sniffled a bit, feeling her boyfriend’s hand soothing over her upper arm. “Thank you again…When I asked you to meet me here, I had all kind of scenarios of how you’d react and this…this doesn’t even come close to the best reaction I expected.” She said softly and Jinki placed his free hand on her cheek to pull her back a little.

 

“I…I love you.” He said simply but everything from his expression to his voice was so earnest and sweet and really, that was all Junghee could ask for.

 

======================================================================================================================

 

A/N: If you've read more of my stuff, you'll probably realize that I like to create AU where I leave space in case I decide to write more of them so again, I'll mark this as complete but I might write more of inspiration strikes again! Please give me feedback so I can know what you guys thought of it! ^^