Chapter 9

Moon of Desire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Dara awoke to wild bird chatter. She rolled over and peered at the bedside table, expecting to discover one of those alarm clocks that lulled you to sleep with the sounds of whale-speak and roused you with nature’s songs. She was wrong. A blue jay raced back and forth on the narrow ledge outside the partially open window across from her bed, his feathers ruffled to relay the urgency of his message. She’d opened the windows in the room last night, climbed into the high canopy bed intending to do a little work, and promptly fallen asleep with her computer propped in her lap. She’d had the presence of mind to change into an oversized T-shirt and cotton boxers before bed, so at least she’d had a good night’s sleep even if she had been half sitting up. Falling asleep over her computer was nothing new, but instead of waking up muzzy-headed and cramped, she was invigorated by the crisp, cool morning air. Taking a deep breath, she caught the pungent odor of fresh manure. She laughed, realizing even that fragrance was energizing.

 

“I’m not going to bother your lady or her eggs,” she assured him.

 

She set the computer aside, stretched her injured knee, and peeked under the covers. The joint was swollen, a little black and blue, but much less painful than the night before. Carefully, she swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood up. Hallelujah. She could put weight on it. She took a step. Stiff but functional. All systems go. Thank goodness. She did not enjoy the role of patient, even if Chaerin’s care made her feel special. She did not want to win a woman’s attentions flat on her back, unless by her own intention. And not under circumstances where she couldn’t repay the favors.

 

After a quick shower, she pulled on loose cotton pants and a ribbed tank top and settled at the antique desk with her computer, curling her good leg under her. She had a strong signal, and when she checked her cell phone, that was good too. Just knowing she could be connected to the outside world, her world, made her feel as if she was once more in charge of her life.

 

After scanning her mail and downloading several files from her editor, she logged out and called Bom.

 

“You were supposed to call me last night,” Bom said by way of greeting.

 

“I know, I’m sorry. Things came up and I never got around to it until it was way too late to call you.”

 

“When are you coming back?”

 

“I have no idea. I haven’t even made an appointment to see the attorney yet. I’ll know more after I see him.”

 

“What’s your number at the hotel?”

 

“I’m not there yet.”

 

Bom was silent for a moment. “What do you mean, you’re not there yet?”

 

“I haven’t checked into the motel yet. And by the way, it’s not a hotel, it’s a motel. Who made these reservations?”

 

“Jiyeon, at the agency. The same person who always does.”

 

“Well, she should know better than to put me up in a motel. I’m not even sure they have room service.”

 

Bom laughed. “Honey, most people don’t spend twenty-four hours a day in their room when they stay in a hotel.”

 

“You know how much work I get done when I travel. Hotels are productive places for me, and I like to have everything I need available in my room.”

 

“I know. I know. I’ll double-check next time.” Bom was laughing and trying not to.

 

“Oh, stop. Besides, that’s not your job,” Dara said. “I’m sorry. I’m being whiney. It’s just been a difficult couple of days.”

 

“I know. And you still haven’t told me where you are.”

 

“I’m at Chaerin’s.”

 

Another silence. “Guard? As in palace guard, off guard? What?”

 

“Chaerin as in Lee Charin. She’s the vet—I mean the coroner—well, actually, she’s both. She’s the one who called me about Grace Park.”

 

“I’m following so far, but what are you doing at her house at…seven thirty in the morning?”

 

“A better question is what I’m doing up at seven thirty in the morning,” Dara muttered. She didn’t usually sleep more than a few hours a night, but after several days with almost none, she hadn’t expected to be up so early or feeling so…wonderful.

 

“You actually sound perky. What’s going on?”

 

“Nothing,” Dara said hastily, wanting to downplay her time with Chaerin and not even knowing why. She wasn’t a kiss-and-tell kind of girl, but she didn’t keep her private life a deep dark secret, either. At least not from Bom.

 

“Not buying it. Are you sure you’re all right?”

 

“Of course. She picked me up at the airport, and then with my leg, she thought it would be better if I stayed here—”

 

“I think you need to back up a little bit, sweetie. I’m still not on the same page as you.”

 

“I hurt my leg last night—”

 

“What! Tell me where you are. I’ll be there on the next flight.”

 

“I don’t need you to come up. I’m all right. Well, I’m a lot better, at least.”

 

“That’s not making me feel very good. Besides, I shouldn’t have let you go alone to begin with. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

 

“Really, Bom. I don’t need—”

 

“Dara. I know Grace was only a distant relative, but you’re dealing with some difficult issues here. I am your friend. That’s what friends do—lend a hand when things are tough.”

 

Dara closed her eyes. Bom was her friend and not just her business manager, agent, publicist, cheerleader, and everything else. “I know how busy you are.”

 

“I’m not that busy, and after all, you’re my number one client.”

 

Dara laughed. “Of course you can come up if you want to.”

 

“Give me the details again.”

 

“I’m in Shelburne. I’ll be checking into…hold on”—she dug around in her briefcase for a slip of paper—“the P3 Inn.” She burst out laughing and Bom joined her. “I must really have been tired last night not to notice that.”

 

“You’re right,” Bom said, “I am going to have to discipline jiyeon. What was she thinking? I’ll get our reservations switched to a real hotel. Now, how badly are you injured?”

 

“I only twisted my knee. It was swollen and tender last night, and it was late. Chaerin thought I should stay here, so I did.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter