Final

Star light, Star bright.

Fireworks booms from the center of Seoul in which could be heard from the outskirts. Couples are dancing and appreciating each other. A Baekhyun sits on his couch, blankly watching the fireplace. The apartment was dark, burnt-dead roses and broken glass everywhere. Baekhyun gazed at the fire, cracking and flickering and dancing lively. He stared with hatred and wonder. What was it like inside a burning ember? He lights up a cigarette, inhaling the smoke and exhaling it through his nostrils. You would never approve of this. He thought. It's been 3 years. 3 years since you were gone.  No. Baekhyun reassured himself. You're not gone, you're studying abroad. He lied to himself. And he believed it. That's how he dealed with it for three years. It's Valentines Day, the day of love. Love. A laugh bubbles from his throat. 

The laugh turned into violent screams. Baekhyun chucked his cigar into the fireplace. He stood up and shoved his chair over so it falls. Baekhyun swept all the pictures of you hanging on top of the fireplace down and threw your pictures into the fire. He watched the fire slowly engulfing the photos. Oh, no. He thought as he went to his knees, throwing his arms into the fire to save the photos. The fire burnt his hands, but it didn't matter. His hands were cut up and ruined anyways. He blew out the fire from the photos he held in his arms. What's wrong with me? Baekhyun's lips start to quiver as he stared to sob. Without you, life was terrible. Nothing was right anymore. He had no other reason to live without you. He missed you awfuly, remembering the early morning kisses and the late night desserts. He looks at the pictures one-by-one in his arms. There were you and Baekhyun, hand-in-hand smiling like two dorks. Another picture had you sleeping (in which Baekhyun secretly took a picture of) . Baekhyun smiles unconciously. The last picture was a picture of you and him at a very special place no one else knows. 

Baekhyun recalls a past memory.

"Baekhyun?" You called his name while looking up at the night sky. Baekhyun shifts and turns so he could see you face-to-face. "Yes?" He scooted closer to you, so close that you two were breathing the same air. You two were in your 'secret hiding' . It was a secretive open space in the mountains where you and Baekhyun used to watch the stars for hours. "See that one? The one that's sort of glistening?" You point to a star in the sky, shining brightest of them all. Baekhyun nods and intertwines his fingers with yours. "Mhm. What about it?" He asks. "I want to be like that star. I want to be that star." Baekhyun forms a smile on his face and gazes at you. "You already are, sweetheart." He leans closer to your face. "You're alright the brightest star in my galaxy." He ended the night with a chaste kiss on your lips. 

"The mountain." Baekhyun snaps out of his flashback. "I need to see her." He immediately wipes his tears of his cheeks impatiently and blew out the fireplace. He threw on a light jacket and managed to find his car keys. He ran out of his house without locking it and hopped into his car, starting it. I need to see her. He thought as he drove onto the main street. I will see her.

It was eleven at night and Baekhyun had surprisingly remembered every turns and roads to get to the open space. The open space was not too high up in the mountains but he can certainly see all the stars he wanted to see. He stopped the car and got out, zipping up his jacket and exhaling. He looks up at the sky to see trillions of stars, glowing and glistening in the night. 

Although there were countless of stars in the sky, Baekhyun only recognized one. The most beautiful star in the galaxy. The brightest star in the universe. Your star. Baekhyun smiled crazily, the first time he's been so happy in three years. He cups his hands around his lips, calling your name. The star twinkled as he laughed and jumped. He misses your like crazy.

Then Baekhyun suddenly remembers. 

"Hyung...?" Baekhyun looks at his younger brother. "Yes, Taehyung?" Taehyung looked uneven, not sure if he should say something. "You need to move on now, you know? She's gone." Baekhyun pauses, then nods, then shakes his head. "I can't. She isn't gone, Taehyung." Taehyung sighs. "Baekhyun hyung.. She gone. Not on vacation. Gone. as in like, dead." Baekhyun splashed his coffee on Taehyung. "NO SHE'S NOT!" He shouted. Taehyung fought back. "Baekhyun, don't you remember? She died of Ischemic Heart Disease. You were in the hospital with her for weeks." Baekhyun shook his head violently. "No. No she didn't." Baekhyun stormed out of the cafe. 

Baekhyun frowns and heaves a sighs. "You're right, Tae." He said to himself. "She is gone. Like. Dead-gone." Baekhyun didn't lie to himself anymore. He gave up. But there was still a lingering hope that you are coming back. Baekhyun sat on the ground and gazed up at your star. He inhaled, then began, "Star light, star bright. First star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might. Have this wish I wish tonight." Baekhyun closed his eyes, imagining a smiling you gazing at him on the hood oh his car. "I want you back." He opens his eyes and feels something spark inside of him. He felt lighter. Less weight off his shoulder. He felt alive again. It's his awakening. Baekhyun smiled up at the star as it twinkled and glistened ever so brightly. He got up, blew a kiss at the star and saying "I love you." , then got in his car and drove home. 

 

Once Baekhyun had arrived home it was 11:50. Baekhyun realized how messy it was in his apartment. He cleaned up the broken shards and threw away the dead roses, replacing them with pink carnations. Baekhyun hung up the broken pictures of you and him and cleaned up all the cigarette butts and throwing them away, vowing that he'll never smoke again. He moved the furniture back into it's rightful place and puts up the curtains. He threw away all the beer cans, also vowing not to drink that much ever again. Baekhyun got to his room, putting all of his clothes into the laundry and folding your old ones neatly into a pile and putting it away. Baekhyun never wanted to forget your scent. He went to the restroom and stared at himself in the mirror. He had super dark bags under his eyes and stubs of hair was growing around his chin. Baekhyun's hair was also a mess. He picked up his toothbrush and brushed his teeth, scrubbing the bejezus out of his teeth. Baekhyun took a late-night shower and also shaved. He stared at his hands. His hands were all dry and cut up, also scorched from the fire earlier. Baekhyun rubbed some healing ointment on it while hissing from the pain. After everything he crawled into his bed, checking the time. 11:59 p.m. . He sure cleaned up fast. Baekhyun was awful tired. And soon, sleep overtook him. 

The rays of the Sun shines on Baekhyun's eyes in the morning, causing him to squint when he woke up. Baekhyun wasn't completely awake, he closed his eyes once again and heaves a sigh. Suddenly something moves next to him. Baekhyun's eyes went open as he turned to see what it was. It wasn't a 'what' , but it was a 'who'. It was you. You lied beside him, gazing at Baekhyun sleepily and smiled. Baekhyun held his breath. Is it a dream? Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and look at you. You scooted close to Baekhyun and nuzzled your face into his arm. "H-honey?" He called out. You nodded, reaching for his hand. Baekhyun pulls his hand away, embarrased that you would have to see his hands. He looks at his hands and did a double-take. Baekhyun's hands were perfectly fine. No cuts or burn-marks were on his hands. They were long and slender again. He looked from his hands to you. You giggled as you leaned into his ear.

 

"I'm back."