First Meeting (Prologue)

Snow in the Spring

Summer is said to be good. But, not to me. If summer is a little bit cooler in Korea, well then I might enjoy it.

I was in a bar at a beach. Holding my glass and looked closely at the alcohol I had just poured. I tilted the glass––side to side––playing with the liquid until someone patted my shoulder.
"Are you certain you don't want to join us? We are playing volleyball!" My friend, Na Eun, persuaded me to go. Since the sun was too hot for me to be productive, so I said,"Yes. I'm certain. Go play! I am fine by myself."
Na Eun pouted, seemed to be disappointed, I shrugged and gave her a strong signal that I really didn't want to move my and play volleyball. She then walked away with heavy steps––still disappointed.

The alcohol in the bottle was nearly finished, yet I persistently trying to drink until the last drop. When I had finished the pricey alcohol, I thought about having another less expensive one. I raised my hand and called the bartender,"Hey! Could you please give me one more like this but cheaper?".
He winked. "Yeah, sure!".
I stared blankly at the shelves full of liquor bottles and fine wine. Eventually, I felt bored. Had I known it would be like this, I wouldn't want to go here.
"Here's yours, Miss!" He slammed the bottle on the table. Great that the bottle didn't crack and wasn't broken.

The bar was so loud and crowded. Two things I hate the most. Loudness and crowds. Nonetheless, I sometimes found peace in between. When nobody talked to me and when I was drowned in my thoughts, I liked it so much. My brains just never stop working. All of a sudden, the silence just gone and the crowds I'd just seen wasn't there to be found.
Afterwards, I took out a small book and a pen which things were essential to me. I wallowed in writing. Writing is indeed the supreme solace.
I started to scribble something. Anything. Just a few minutes later, I'd created a series of beautiful words. That was the way how I expressed my feelings.

I was startled and came back to reality when someone sat beside me talked to me.
"Are you a lyricist?".
I wasn't sure whether he was looking at me or my paper for his eyes were covered by the lenses of his sunglasses. His hairstyle was so strange just like how idols or footballers have their hair styled. Overall, his appearance was perfect and classy even for the beach. He must be a famous person or a rich businessman who has a big house with a really high-class, elegant girlfriend, I believed so. Why girlfriend? Because he didn't look like a man in his 30s. He was a little older than me, in my opinion.
"Hey there, you speak Korean?". He waved his hand––left to right and right to left. I stopped judging his appearance and simply answered,"No and yes."
I thought he would stop talking with a simple 'oh'. But, no. He did not.
Instead, with a deep voice, he pointed at my paper and asked,"Do you want to be one? That's a good writing there."
I was flattered when he said my writing was good. However, asking someone to be a lyricist all of a sudden when I didn't even know who he was, could be a false business man who was truly a kidnapper or human trafficker with good money, it was suspiciously strange and deserved to be ignored.

He responded to my unexpected silence. "Oh, how rude of me not to introduce myself first."
I showed an awkward smile and thought, how can he know what I am thinking of.
As he started to introduce himself, he took off his glasses.
"I am…"
Kwon Ji Yong––the person whom Eun Ae had idolised for years. I recognised him just from the first glimpse of his whole face. It was truly an unexpected occurrence. Instead of being happy to had met and talked to a tremendous star, I felt terrified and nervous at the same time for unknown reason. I just wished that the Earth would swallow me up and I would never be born again. My heart started to pound and I bit my lower lip.
"Kwon Ji Yong." He gave me a friendly smile and reached out a hand and shook mine.
I couldn't think clearly and felt like there was a lump in my throat. The thing I could only say was, "Oh, great. Haha."
After an awkward handshake, I focused my eyes on other random things but his eyes. He was saying something, yet I pretended not to hear him for the bar was too loud.
"It's… it's pretty loud here." I tapped my hands on the table and stuttered.
Then, he spoke,"Do you know? If you didn't hear what was I saying, you wouldn't answer me. But, if you did try and provided that the bar is too loud for you to listen to me, you would say 'sorry, I couldn't hear you'. Not 'it's pretty loud here'. So, I'm saying that you do not want to listen to me. Correct me if i'm wrong."
I gulped. Once. No, twice. The feeling was indescribable. It was like his words just hit me really hard. Bang! My mind was blown up. Could he be any wrong? No, his statement was definite.
He passed me a card which was his name card. There was written his name, his stage name, the company he worked for, the address of the company, the phone numbers where he could be contacted, and also the logo of the company on the right corner of the card. "If you could talk later and you're interested in this job, call this number. You will be directed to us. Um, I mean the company."
Afterwards, he went away and I felt super relieved and breathed as much fresh air as I could.

That was how we met.