Necklace

The Day Before Valentines Day

The Day Before Valentines

 


 

I fiddle with the jewelry box in my hands. It's hers, so even though tomorrow is Valentine's day, there won't be a special meaning behind this. I mean, I just met her a few months ago. I don’t know if she actually knows anything about me other than the fact that my name is Lee Byunghun. I guess this is because I don’t go to school a lot and I tend to act like a (mysteriously cool) gangster—which some people say is only my way of making up for my height… By some people, I mean my members in Teen Top—aish, those punks…

 

--START

“There’s going to be a new student in our year level!” One of the guys in class shouted. This is exactly why I don’t like going to school. These fools get so excited over every single thing, even over a—

“--a girl! I heard it from the teacher’s lounge!”

“When is she coming in?!”

“Tomorrow!”

“Ya, you guys, stop fussing about someone who isn’t even here yet.” Our class representative spoke up. He’s a friendly guy who everyone likes. Tch, there he goes again, being annoyingly charismatic.

“Yah, Jung Daehyun, you wouldn’t understand since you have fan girls flocking around you but a new girl means a clean slate! All of us have equal chances now!” One of the guys said.

“How can you say we all have equal chances when there are some people who obviously have more superior visuals than the rest~” Sungjong, a guy who looks like Song HyeKyo, said in a sing song voice.

“YAH LEE SUNGJONG!!!” Some boys who must’ve thought they were visually inferior stood up to defend themselves against the insult that may or may not have been directed at them. I groaned. Idiots.

“BEFORE YOU ALL DISCUSS TOMORROW’S EVENTS, I SUGGEST YOU ALL SIT DOWN FIRST. WE’LL START HOMEROOM—“ Mr. Kim began quite strictly.

I look at him boredly as he lets Jung Daehyun take over the class for some announcements. Good thing I have some matters to take care of tomorrow or else I’d have to watch these guys’ stupidities at their height tomorrow.

--

I haven’t gone to school more than a week or so because of some injuries and because the job given to me took longer than expected. Without even getting a wink of sleep, I was immediately sent by my parents to school. Apparently, this stuck up school mailed them and called them in due to my absences and gave them a “GENTLE WARNING” to have me back by school else I’d be expelled. Yeah right.

Not long since I’ve rested my head on my table, someone already disturbs my sleep. I slowly lift up my head to see an unfamiliar face. *ERROR, STRANGER, MISSION ABORT* I could hear my mind say and I immediately resumed my earlier stance—sleeping.

“Oh,” I heard her mutter. Must’ve not noticed me when she came in. I could feel her watching me and it annoyed me to no end. I was about to face her when—

“YAHHH! YOU’RE EARLY TODAY, LEE BYUNGHUN!” . Woo Jiho—Zico whatever his name is.

“YAH! I told you to call me hyungnim---“ He kept on ranting and at some point, I engaged him if only to annoy him further. Even with this hyungnim being annoying, I could still feel the new girl’s eyes on me. I rolled my eyes at Jiho-Zico and my gaze immediately fell upon her’s. There’s something so magnetic about her, it’s annoying too.

“What? Who’s this?” . Why did I look at her? Now Zico/Jiho’s going to-- Wait why am I even worried?

I shrugged and simply said, “Don’t know.”

Zico shifted his weight and eyed her first before approaching her. She stood still and emotionless. “How can you not know this pretty face, Byunghun?”

“Don’t know her.” Just leave her alone, Zico—wait... what the hell?

“I don’t know you too.” She said haughtily. I saw Zico’s brow rise and this time, he really went to see her eye to eye.

“Leave her alone, hyung.” I found myself say. She only continued to stare at him confidently. They engaged in a few words meant to annoy each other—though Zico was more interested than annoyed, which was in itself, annoying.

After a while, she motioned to leave but stopped when the class rep entered the room.

“Oh, Soo Ah-ssi, good morning—“ He spoke. Go Soo Ah? I shook my head. Even this guy seems to be interested in her. Surprisingly, the tension easily left the room. Everytime this guy comes, issues always get resolved. After a few words, Zico left the room, but not without taunting SooAh—Go SooAh— again. I returned to my seat to sleep but could hear the faint voices of those two people at the back.

--

The day wasn’t so interesting either, people, specially Jung Eunji and Lee Sungjong liked to say her name so much. ‘SooAh this’ ‘SooAh that’. Is she a celebrity or something? I move my head a bit sideways to catch a glim—to check why they’re so fussy.

I turned to the year rep who was in front, writing some reminders on the board. “Year rep, who’s that?” I remain impassive.

“Who? Soo Ah?” He paused before adding, “-ssi? She’s the transferee.” I saw him raise his brow. “Why?” He asked calmly, acting as disinterested as I am. Only, I’m not acting. I’m really disinterested. Really, I am!

“No reason.”  I reply nonchalantly.

“No reason?” He nodded. “Well, if you need help catching up, just tell me.” He grinned, going back to his usual annoying self, but I felt thankful nonetheless, that he didn’t probe.

“Thanks.”

--

The rest of the day, I found myself unconsciously finding her face in the crowd. For some reason, she was a new concept to me. Even after her apparent nomination to being a member of the Estelles—a formal term for the school’s group of queenka’s, she wasn’t excited. She even managed to piss off Kang Minkyung, the head Estelle and also take the interest of my group—Teen Top and another famous group in our school, INFINITE. The day’s ending with me finding her ultimately annoying– and downright interesting. Damn. There it is. I admit it. This year’s going to be interesting.

--END

It’s been a few months since that day and today—well, like I said: Today’s the day before Valentine’s Day. I lean against the wall beside the classroom door. I watch as the rich kids pile up and flock to the classrooms.

“OH~” One of the guys from my class shouted, “You got a good number of chocolates, there, L. Joe!” He said, pointing to the chocolates by my feet and those I’ve been carrying. I shrug and he shakes his head, calling me arrogant and I just give him a glare.

For some reason, I found that I get a good lot of chocolates during Valentine’s day or—actually, even on normal days. That reason is probably because I’m undeniably attractive and mysteriously cool. I smirk. Of course, that's a joke-- partly. Since I don’t like chocolates, the younger punks in my group gobble them all up.

“THERE SHE COMES!” Some boys from other classes get out of their rooms as soon as Park Jiyeon and Kim Dasom approach my class. These two are also interesting, as soon as they heard the screams of “Here she comes” or “here she is!” They start smiling sweeter and covertly try to outdo each other— like genuine best friends. I scoffed.

Behind them, though, I could see the girl my eyes can’t seem to stop following. I groan at the impulse.

“Oh, L. Joe! Who are you waiting for?” Dasom asks.

“No one.” I mutter to both her and Jiyeon. “Here, have some chocolate.” I shove two plainly wrapped chocolates to Dasom.

“L. Joe~ I didn’t know you—“ Dasom starts but before she continues.

“One for you and one for Jiyeon.” I dismiss them quickly. “Okay, happy white day.” I shoo them a bit too coldly but who cares? They both frown and go inside the room.

I wonder why I’m so nervous right now. I count to five and in a short breath. “Go SooAh,” I call out. I now notice the bags of chocolates she’s carrying. “Are all those yours?” I ask dumbfoundedly.

“You seem to be mirroring me there.” She commented, referring to my own pile of chocolates. She’s not as stiff as she was when I first met her. “But you didn’t have to give them away to people.” She frowned.

“Yeah, well—“ I scratch the back of my neck. True, but I was panicking. “H-hey, anyway—“ I nervously take out a box for her. “Happy valentines day.” She looks up to me with wide eyes.

“This is—“ The students around all whisper. “How did you—“

“I just overheard you talking about it the other day.”

“Where did you—“

“It’s a secret.” I smile a bit and the whispers get louder. She breaks out a smile and my heart aches just a bit.

“Thank you so much, Byunghun!” She says happily, I could see she was trying hard to contain her happiness. “You’re daebak.” She shakes her head as she opens the transparent box to reveal a key shaped gold and diamond pendant.

“Thank you, Byunghun!” I smile at her.

Before I could reply, my gaze wavers at the sight of two arms enveloping her into an embrace.

“Yah! You left me with your chocolates!” He whines at her and some girls groan at their intimacy.

“Ah, sorry.” She chuckles. But his eyes are on the pendant she’s holding.

“Where did you--”

“Byunghun found it.” She says proudly. “If he hadn’t, you’d probably be wearing yours like a loner.” She teased. With that, my eyes immediately catch sight of the other key pendant on his chest.

I breathe deeply and nod my head. “Great to be of some help to you two birds.” I smirk. “Class is about to start. Take care of these chocolates for me, will ya?” I leave before even earning a reply from them. I catch her last, ‘thank you’ before I skip classes again. A frown replaces the smirk I’ve put on my face.

Go SooAh, I shouldn’t be feeling this way because I’ve only known you for a few months… But what can I do when my eyes only follow you?

 

---

HAHAHAAHA SORRY GUYS! But that’s why this is a pre-valentines story~ Hohoho If you notice, I mostly used the scenes and everything else from the previous chapters of “His Eyes”! This is because this is really part of the story. Hehe It’s just that I didn’t know where it would fit, so I made it into a special story/chapter. Poor L. Joe 3 You’re still cute to meee haha! But can you guess who SooAh’s boyfriend is? :P

 

Do comment, review and subscribe!

 

Thank youuu <3